Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / De La Soul 3 ft high n Rising VS. De La Soul is dead.??
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:15 am

they're both good right? I like to play 3 feet high.. then follow it up with ESG's Bronx Story......erase you.. girls luv that stuff.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:34 am

try some Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown

makes all the ladezzz wet
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 1:33 pm

3 feet high is classic. fun album. great debut.
De La is Dead is even better. better beats. better skits. this one stands the test of time mo better in my opinion.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Both are perfect.

Think about how bad you freaked out the first time you heard "Pease Porridge" and "Bitties in the BK Lounge." Damn.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:36 pm

look at little darwin.. look at him go..!!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:38 pm

ain't you that guy, ain't you that girl, de la soul, right? no, tracy chapman.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm

Hey cock snot! Hey anal wart!

What do you know about music, hamster penis?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:40 pm

I can't be your loverrrrrrrr...
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:13 pm

Oh Johnny you got a bullet in your forehead, boy don't you understand, you dead
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:22 pm

Both. Totally different and both stand the test of time for that reason.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:31 pm

How about "Potholes In My Lawn?" It samples the Animals with Parliament for one of the greatest mash ups ever. Tgere's even slide whistles and shit.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:35 pm

My all-time fave:

ooh ooh he called you "Arsenio"!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:36 pm

yOU aRSENIO hALL GUM HAVING PUNK!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:37 pm

3 feet high for shore in my opinon
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:45 pm

How many fibers is entertwined in a Shredded Wheat Biscuit?

Think about how bad you freaked out the first time you heard "Pease Porridge" and "Bitties in the BK Lounge." --seriously. this album and these songs in particular I quite frankly wore the fuck out of back then (89-90) and they haven't lost a bit.
after that
Buhloone Mind State is soooo good.
the Stakes is High is Solid
after those I fell off. I read many reviews saying their most recent was actually quite good. Anybody heard it?

What does "Touche et les le poo mean?"
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:23 pm

gay rap.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:25 pm

it's queer, sweetie.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:44 pm

Let's all get baked like Anita.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 7:21 pm

Prince Paul needs a haircut
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:33 pm

dutch hercules needs a luden.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:52 pm

That's right, you smell!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Flip ovah! Flip ovah! Talk to Jimmy!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:54 pm

where's that voice coming from? from..from nowhere??
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:32 pm

i like the aligator bar...

take that cangol off.....

im your dj, Squirell..
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:40 pm

...and my favorite drama movie is "Blood Sucking Freaks", ummmm, just like your momma.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:11 am

alot of people will say 3 feet high and rightfully so, especially for the time it was such a breath of fresh air in the hip hop world. the samples and subject matter were original and cool and SO not gangsta. i've always just liked de la is dead a little bit better. they really went in an interesting direction with the music and themes and i feel its a real classic record and it really does hold up well. its weird i was just listening to it the other day and thinking fuck man, what happened to hip hop? i mean the album title itself was a true statement about rap at the time. im just happy there were other people who didn't get caught up in the fake ass gangsta shit that took over around that time. why all of those hip gangsta wannabes were trying to be hard we were listening to hip hop that was actually interesting and creative...

Who do you worship?
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 11:11 am

..one of the first ever rap concept albums....
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 3:31 pm

What happened to the pimps?
What happened to the curse words?
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 3:55 pm

I gotta say I admire both aspects of hip hop/rap/whatevs. If it is done well, done creatively, it is all good to me. It is apples and oranges and the world would be a boring place if only typically "artistic" people were allowed and encouraged to create art. There are plenty of gangsta rappers out there who have made some insane, am-a-zing sounding and socially pertinent and funny and worthwhile for all time records.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 10:03 pm

"3 Feet High And Rising" for sure. Great when you're listening to the oldies station and you hear "Sweat Pea" drum break or that one Turtles song and your brain gets cracked. But "A Roller Skating Jam Named Saturdays" should be used to make all butts sweaty, at every dance party 4 life.

I remember only kinda, back in the day some people were mad that De La Soul would use so much of that Parliament song. Anybody else remember that stink?

Kinda reminds me of Kidnappers using a Teengnerate song, or Jack using an Alice Cooper song (just read that one, I'm slower), or the U-Boats using a Commandos song. Sharing is nice.
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 12:55 am

OLD SCHOOL.

Saw De La tonight, and they KILLED IT.

In Native Tongues related news: A Tribe Called Quest documentary out this month directed by Michael Rappaport of all people. Looks good.

PS. My vote is for "Is Dead".
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 5:49 am

I like rappin rodney
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 6:19 am

adam, wow! i saw them once when i was 15. i guess it was 1989.

3 feet is for sure my fave these days. that album has done a lot for me in the last few years, actually. especially since i got a cassette copy and realized that the scratch break on "potholes" ends with a really slowed down voice saying "who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?" pretty freaky.

and i finally got this 45:

it's cartoon music. amazing.

and that album on c
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Breath smells like java!
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 11:32 pm

I love 3ft High.
I always felt that Dead was a bit guarded in comparison when it came to the samples.
I guess we have Flo & Eddie to blame for killing the party, since they shit in the punch bowl
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 1:33 pm

love 3ft, but that was more a Prince Paul record than a De La record.

the lyrics are as important as the music.

Hate DLS is dead. Annoying thing.

that's prince paul, too. it's great. peas porridge? bitties in the bk lounge? come on!
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 5:45 am

pffffft... try listening once a year. or not just being a contrary prick.
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 10:58 am

you've managed to turn in to a complete bore. congrats!
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 11:44 am

a slap fight over fucking rap music. So cool. Next you will be snapping towels at each other in the locker room over which techno artist is a sell-out.
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 11:49 am

you're next, bitch.
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Sorry, I should have interjected some shit about the 3 elements on some KRS-One "I was there" kinda shit. Keep it real, yo, peace out.
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 5:51 pm

a slap fight over fucking rap music

that was funnier than the skits on either LP
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Both are perfect.
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 9:09 pm

I liked when KRS One wanted to beat up PM Dawn cause they were some new age hippie faggots

put everything into perspective
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®