Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / NYC record stores
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 9:36 pm

hey any good record stores in NYC..i'm headin up there for work monday...any suggestions would be good...is that crypt store open??
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 10:20 pm

mailorder.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 10:22 pm

watch out for the gay kids. ive already hit most of them.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 1:34 am

kim's and generation in manhattan

academy in brooklyn
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:33 pm

let's get rid of ny
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:40 pm

i've grabbed some fun stuff at the academy on 10th too. its between 3rd and 4th i believe.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:42 am

The best and somewhat hidden record store is in Greenpoint,Brooklyn.
EAT records amazing and constantly rotating used records.You can listen to them all and you can have an espresso while doing it.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 3:05 am

rocket scientist is back in business on st. marks near second avenue where smash used to be. nice selection. garage, punk, psyche. vinyl and cds. i was in there today. kim's is also on st. marks (vinyl upstairs on the second floor but no mark morgan) as is sounds. and norman's is around the corner on third avenue. if it was a year ago i'd tell you to go to wowsville the best record store in new york. but it isn't. so i won't. alberto rules!!!
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 4:20 am

I worked at Midnight Records and Wowsville. Those both died. I work at Academy in Brooklyn now. I'm mostly in the back pricing, but if you bring in a collection, I'm the guy you get mad out for not giving you enough money.

We're in the process of buying 250,000 LP's and 500,000 45's from a warehouse in NJ. A lot of great shit. Vietnamese garage LP's, Polish freakbeat 45's, private funk, tons of obscure NJ powerpop 45's-in the first couple boxes I went through.

I spent 30 hours going through about a 10th of the shit.

We haven't bought it all yet, but we're planning on it. It's enough to stock the place with killer shit for years.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 4:37 am

Mike, when can we, the buying public, start going through this shit? Is most of gonna cost top dollar?
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 5:27 pm

Bazooks,

We've already started putting some stuff out, not 45's yet...mostly 5-20 dollar LP's...some strong stuff in there. I'm POSITIVE we're gonna make some screw ups and put stuff out cheap. The real high-end stuff more likely than not will go on eBay. There's gonna be (and already has been) some completely unknown acetates of NJ garage, soul, etc. As well as incredible international stuff, on top of one stack was an original French copy of Michel Polnareff's 1st LP (He wrote the Bird's Freakbeat track "A Doll Says No"...)

There's good shit for everyone.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 5:40 pm

You work with Greg Caz. right? I'd like to come and visit the both of you jungle bunnies real soon. With a few sawbacks to toss even.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 6:45 pm

hey mike,,,,any mutha stuff in there??
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 8:06 pm

Anything on Mutha will probably not make it out into the bins. I gotsta get my greeezy fingers on it. And no, haven't found any original Misfits, Ambient Noise or Detention singles. No Chronic Sick yet either.

I'm guessing there must be some River Styx (60's NJ Garage) in there somewhere.

Fo all you soul nerds, the dude that ran Shrine is originally from NJ and after it went bust in DC, he moved back, so...who knows.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 8:11 pm

http://www.collectorscum.com/volume3/nj/

So far I've pulled the Poptronix, Chris Moffa and the Accelerators outta there, but that's only the first 15 or so from 100's of boxes. Also, tons of Powerpop not listed on Collector Scum.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:15 pm

Yer atlkin bout Jesse! From Shrine records. Fuckin LOVED Shrine .
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:21 pm

We haven't bought it all yet, but we're planning on it. It's enough to stock the place with killer shit for years.<--glad to hear it.

I was "racially profiled" out front of your store 2 weeks ago. I fit the description of someone breaking into lofts around there. 3 cops, bag check, id'd, the whole deal.

I like your new monkey lamp.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:27 pm

jesse from shrine is from bensonhurst.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:28 pm

so's Gabe Kaplan.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:37 pm

his dreams were his ticket out.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:40 pm

But Woodman kept pulling him back in.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:43 pm

and his anorexic wife. did he ever tell you about his uncle schlomo???
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:46 pm

<I was "racially profiled" out front of your store 2 weeks ago>

North 6th isn't the drug/hooker infested area of days of lore. It's now filled with Sushi restaurants with waterfalls on every corner!
Either way it smells like fish!

HEE=HAWW!!!!
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:47 pm

are you kidding me?? He must a told that one a scrillion times. Oi vey! Julie! hand me my coat!
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 9:56 pm

Did i ever tell you about my uncle Herman, the hunter? Well, he wasn't really a hunter, his mother just wanted him to have a hobby. So she bought him a hunter's suit, a hunter's cap, and a rifle, and told him: "Now go out into the woods and shoot some game."

So he went out hunting, and out of some nearby bushes steps a beautiful girl, wearing a hunter's suit, a hunter's cap, and carrying a rifle. So he asked her: "Are you game?"

She said "Sure."

So he shot her.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 10:15 pm

No,

I'm talking about this Shrine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_Records
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 10:17 pm

Oh,

And the lamp isn't a monkey, it's a white basketball player sculpted in a weird quasi-Basil Wolverton style. It's a one of a kind I found at a Church sale in Summit, NJ.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 10:23 pm

I see.
Good find!
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 11:24 pm

Oh....my bad!
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 12:51 am

I got some Awesome stuff at Academy in Brooklyn when I was in NYC...
Also found some cool stuff at Arts and Fleas(?) down the street.....
Earwax OK
SoundFix OK
Somethin Else OK
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 12:53 am

What kinda stuff did you get? I've only been to the one in Manhattan so far, but I got a killer CBS Library Lp with a massive synth and organ driven go-go cut. And it was CHEAP!
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 1:05 am

At Academy I got an awesome Charlie Feathers LP that has "Cold Dark Night" on it (That Rock-A-Billy Cat! LP) and some other stuffI can't remember right now...

At Arts and Fleas I got "El Corazon", a Don Cherry/Ed Blackwell LP.... a copy of "The Raven" by The Stranglers with a holographic cover as well as a few other LPs
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 1:13 am

There's some crazy Library shit out there. Ya gotta have patience to listen to A LOT of records to find the good shit, unless you're aware of the players. Some library records sound like instro versions of Black Sabbath. Some sounds like Kraftwerk. Some sounds like total fucking dogshit.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 12:19 am

stopped in princeton..if anyone cares they seem to have gotten TONS of 'oldies' LPS...hank ballard, rhino girl group and doo-wop comps....good shit...they had mental abuse's LP for $200, i think.....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®