Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / all aboard, Rev. Charlie Jackson
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:23 pm

Reverend Charlie Jackson passed away on the morning of Feb. 13. A great musician and a wonderfully generous man, he'll be deeply missed.

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/BL/0509/Charlie_Jackson_-_Live.mp3
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:28 pm

Another real legend gone. I have so much love for the Rev. R.I.P.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:34 pm

oh man I am so sorry to hear that Adam -- my condolences.
Edna Lewis is probably cooking him lunch right about now.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:02 pm

Thanks, Andria. I mailed RL Boyce a copy of God's Got It last week, thinking he'd enjoy it. Hope so.

Last time I visited the Jacksons they gave me a tape of an appreciation service the church held for Rev. Charlie several years back. It's super lo-fi, but you can hear people testify about how Rev. Jackson helped them, singing songs, etc.

Real sweet people, them Jacksons.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:32 pm | Edited by: jblundell

recently, i was in florida working on a job for four weeks. i only took one day off (after 21 straight 10 hour days). after weeks of listening to my co-workers music, i bought some CDRs so i could play DJ. the first CD i made was REV CHARLIE. i listened to the whole album (his guitar solos still give me the chills) then paused for a quick break on the porch outside. i layed down on the marble railing overlooking the ocean, feeling really good.

when i got up and turned around i SWEAR the words "...LOVE GOD" were spelled out in the sky! a plane had just spelled the words out in the sky and they quickly blew away in the wind, but for a moment i was just speechless. i took a photo of it that i'll post when i develop the film.

reverend charlie jackson. this is the worst news of all.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:54 pm

R.I.P. On to a better place.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:58 pm

My friend in Louisville turned me on to him about two years ago. Haven't picked up the disc in a while, but I certainly think it's time.
I love a Saturday night, but sometimes you gotta stand up on a Sunday morning. R.I.P.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Awww, it's a shame he's no longer with us, but at least he's at peace.

Adam, it's about time you help spread the word of some other old black man, ok?
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 6:41 pm

damn. listen to him--- he lives on!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:02 pm

fwd:

It is with great sadness that we here at CaseQuarter Records must convey the news that Bishop Charlie Jackson of Baker, Louisiana has passed away. Bishop Jackson, known to many blues, gospel and music lovers in the wider world as the Reverend Charlie Jackson, died in his sleep at a local Baker, Louisiana nursing home early Monday morning Febuary 13th. Reverend Jackson had been confined to the 24 hour care facility since the spring of 2005 after suffering the latest in a series of lifelong strokes. His wife, Laura Davis Jackson, said that Reverend Jackson had been unable to recognize anyone since his admittance and his health had steadily declined.

For anyone reading this, Reverend Jackson's music needs no introduction or reminders. Along with Elder Utah Smith, Jackson was one of few of the widespread guitar slinging gospel preachers to actually record commercial records and it is such a treasure, especially now, that we have his unique testaments. I still savor the moment when I first heard Chris Smith's and Lynn Abbott's cassette of Reverend Jackson's music. It's a cliche but nonetheless too true: it literally changed my life.

Not suprisingly, Reverend Jackson in person was even more impressive than his music. On the occasions that I visited him I was overwhelmed with his perpetual warm heartedness and enthusisam. It was such a delight to be with him and his wife Laura.

There are many poignant and moving moments in Reverend Jackson's music but the one I've been returning to these past couple of days is "The Testimony of Reverend Charlie Jackson." "When I couldn't speak nothing, I let the guitar do it," he says in the song. And then he plays the old hymn "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" on his guitar:

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear.
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer.
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer

There will be a visitation and service on Friday February 17th at the Hall Celebration Center in Baton Rouge from 5- 7PM for the visitation and 7-9PM for the service. Funeral sevices will be at Jackson's home church, Brown Chapel Baptist Church, in McComb, Mississippi on Saturday February 18th at 2PM. Flowers can be sent to the Hall Celebration Center through Heroman's Florist. www.heromans.com As of this writing there is no information on donations. Please email me if you need further information on this as it becomes available.

Kevin Nutt
CaseQuarter Records
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:24 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

RIP Charlie Jackson. Has anyone ever heard that Isiah Owens record, also on Case Quarter? It's almost as amazing as Jackson's album, but it's waaaay more "out there." Sometimes his vocals and guitar don't seem to be in the same rhythm or key, but somehow they go together perfectly.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:26 pm

YES!
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 2:51 pm

In remembrance of Rev. Jackson's passing a year ago today, here's an unreleased live track:

http://www.50milesofelbowroom.com/articles.html
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 3:19 pm

RIPCJ!
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 4:45 pm

Posted: Feb 13, 2007 4:51 pm

I've been listening to "Gods Got It" for weeks now that I got it.

R.I.P.
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 5:07 pm

damn this sucks big time.... thanks Adam to turn me on Rev. C. J. and thanks for the youtube vids... no big thing...
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 5:09 pm

RIP
(for me and Dirk Diggler)
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 5:09 pm

he died last year, retard.

ALBERTO RULES!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®