Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Detroit Cobras Current Drummer
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 6:32 pm

I saw Reigning Sound and Detroit Cobras in Fort Lauderdale last Saturday when we were down there visiting my parents. Rachel Nagy was in rare obnoxious drunk form and the rest of the band, including Greg, looked kinda fed-up with her antics. However, their current drummer, some guy who looked liked Dennis Rodman circa 1996, may have been the most awesome drummer I've ever witnessed. He was playing all sorts of crazy rhythms and he didn't look like he was even trying. I read in the FTL weekly paper that his name is Skeeto Valdez. Anyone know who this guy is?

Also, Ko is playing bass for the Detroit Cobras now. Is she still playing with the Dirtbombs?
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 6:34 pm

"Skeeto Valdez." That's perfect.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 6:43 pm

I think he is in Trey Anastasio's band too.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

I think he is in Trey Anastasio's band too.

Are you serious? Maybe he's one of those Carmine Appice-style hired gun drummers who'll play with ANY band, ANY style, ANYtime, ANYwhere. If so, he broke the first rule of the session drummer- you're supposed to put your own name (not the band's name) on the bass drumhead.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 7:03 pm

I don't think it's that rare that Rachel is drunk and obnoxious, but I don't mind it. That drummer sounds cool, but how could he possably go from Trey Anastasio to Detroit Cobras? I guess stranger things have happened, but could somebody look this up? I can only look at the words Trey Anastasio three times in one day or else I start to feel like ripping the beard off a hippy!!

Can't wait till tonight!! Go-Go Skeeto!!!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm

Posted: Feb 14, 2006 7:52 pm

Skeeto's gonna steal the show! massive amounts of people with GO SKEETO signs in crowds!

what's so weird about the trey anastasio thing-- you know he's filling in because the Detroit Cobra's drummer left to go tour with Kid Rock, right?

no joke!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:11 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

I don't think it's that rare that Rachel is drunk and obnoxious, but I don't mind it

Dude, she was beyond her usual self at that show. It wasn't cute or charming like it usually is (kind of.) The band was not digging it. She'd go into these ramblings and Greg O. would try and interrupt her and get the song started. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I think she may have been perturbed to be in Fort Lauderdale, for which I can't blame her. Also, she looked like death warmed over.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:15 pm

she looked like death warmed over

now...that's rocknroll
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:32 pm

Also, Ko is playing bass for the Detroit Cobras now. Is she still playing with the Dirtbombs?

yes she is. the cobras tour finishes before her dirtbomb duties begin
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:40 pm

yes she is. the cobras tour finishes before her dirtbomb duties begin

Cool! She is really a great bass player. I never noticed that before.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:49 pm

I think she may have been perturbed to be in Fort Lauderdale, for which I can't blame her.
That town was pretty fun, I thought. Although the only music I saw was a dueling-piano thing in one of the bars outside the hotel. And they sucked. If you take the dollar request, you'd better know how to play whatever, and if you don't, you'd better make some shit up off the top of your head, and if you just can't do it, that's a free draft to the requestor.
Fuck it. I hate that town now.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 10:53 pm | Edited by: dale

The old Cobras drummer left to play GUITAR in Kid Rock's band. He actually help Kid right some of his early hits but didn't get credit so I guess it's getting made up for now. Kid Rock's old guitar player decided to go solo (and his new band sucks).

My pop is one of Kid Rock's limo drivers (no joke).

Joe of the Dirtys is the Cobra's merch manager. I dunno why they never ask him to play bass. He's the one that gave me the Trey Anistasio gossip.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 1:28 am

That guy didn't catch my ear. I thought Lance from Reigning Sound was way better.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 2:57 am

<their current drummer, some guy who looked like dennis rodman circa 1996>

fuck that. i'm gonna find a drummer who looks like manute bol!!!
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 3:58 am

Yeah, Nagy was SMOKED out of 'er gourd in Dayton, OH. She had so many shots and so many PBRs, I thought she was gonna fall down near the end of the show.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 4:00 am

The greatest drummer ever is Cedric Burnside. I saw him a couple of months ago. I was bartending so I couldn't pay very close attention to what was going on. All of a sudden I hear him play this amazing drum fill. When I look up to see what he's doing, he's playing with one hand while text messaging someone on his cell phone with the other. Not only did he not miss a beat he threw in some extra shit just to show there wasn't nothin' to it.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 4:11 am

kevin e sez>
>That guy didn't catch my ear. I thought Lance from Reigning Sound was way better.>

yep.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 4:16 am

<i>fuck that. i'm gonna find a drummer who looks like manute bol!!!</i>

i'm your man, except for the melatonin aspect.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 4:16 am

ah fuck it, i'm drunk.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 5:40 pm

yeah! JOE DIRTY was in the house! great gig for joe!
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Joe told me the kind of coin is pulling down and I was impressed. I guess I didn't realize the band was THAT big. I saw the Cobras a few months back with Greg on guitar. After the show I told Mary "Wow, I actually like your band again." Then Rachel took her shoes off and said that I should rub them for her. I passed.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 6:09 pm | Edited by: dale

Let's not forget that the keyboard player from the Black Crowes was playing bass for awhile in the Cobras and one of the former guitar players was in Sponge.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 6:18 pm

Skeeto is a great guy, and an awesome drummer, and my friend. I don't know how it would sound if I were playing for the Cobras (or what people thought), but it doesn't matter. As long as people like my playing with the Reigning Sound, I'm happy. ACTUALLY as long as Greg likes it, I'm happy. It's really funny how everyone tries to compare Cobras/RS like were in the rock olympics. Now where's my damn drink.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 6:33 pm

I got a drink for you!
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 9:39 pm

one of the former guitar players was in Sponge

that was joe and he played bass. my pedant moment, sorry.
when joe left, steve nawara was playing bass cuz greg was on the other guitar. musical chairs in cobra land... sorry... pedant moments again
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 10:49 pm | Edited by: Bam Caruso

It's a great day in Libertyland when Sponge, Dennis Rodman, and Cedric Burnside are mentioned in the same Goner thread.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 12:30 am | Edited by: dale

I've seen the Cobras at least 25 times. Member line ups have been blurred since the Gold Dollar days. Still remember and love the almost original line up (never saw 'em with Gil on the drums) the best. The Greg line up I saw recently was the best I'd seen them in a long time. Kinda like the newest album though that EP they did a year or so ago was not very good.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Gil?
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 3:54 pm

I meant Vic Hill. Dunno why I typed Gil. I blame the wine.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®