Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / If I arrive in Wisconsin
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:05 am

My uncle lives in New Berlin and wants me to come up next month. What is there to do? Never been.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:52 am

depends on what weekend?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:13 am

Dont know yet but just in general. A dive bar or the paper I need to check with the listings.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:00 am

the onion, the shepherd express have listings but there's often basement shows and shit like that that doesn't get listed. you can check the wisconsin rock & roll message board. statictrash.com .. dive bars, the cactus club is cool on a slow night, tonight i'm going over there to see paul from the catholic boys spin, they also have a good jukebox but before careful not to go when there's a dj playing shit you don't like, cuz that's all you're gonna hear all night long. they also have shows. other cool bars - circle a, great music bar with eclectic (ie good) dj's every night. riverhorse, onopa, i dunno. someone else should chime in.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:23 am

New Berlin is Milwaukee, so just follow Dusty's suggestions. Almost always something going on there. Circle A is thuh coolest.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:32 am

WISCONSIN SUCKS!!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:35 am

For gawd's sake!!! As you head into Wisconsin, stop at Mars' Cheese Castle. The farm animal-shaped chunks of cheddar are one of the best munchies ever.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:43 am

As you head into Wisconsin, stop at Mars' Cheese Castle.

as you head into WI from where? i'm going to Chicago for a month and i NEED farm animal-shaped chunks of cheddar cheese, yes i do
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:05 am

Exactly, we all need animal-shaped cheese whether we realize it or not. Head north on 94 towards Milwaukee and, TRUST me, you can't miss it. It's on the west side of the road. If you miss the sign, you're completely blind. Best meat and cheese castle EVER. We still talk about those cheese animals.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:14 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

I have been in a trance for the last 5 minutes, after reading this. A place called a Cheese Castle? Farm animal-shaped chunks of cheddar cheese?
I am deeply, deeply intrigued.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:30 am | Edited by: DevilDog

Holy shit, they're even online. Here ya go:

http://www.marscheese.com

My 2 yr-old couldn't quit eating the cheesy animals and was bound-up for days during one trip, true story. There also used to be a really cool outlet mall somewhere near that place I think, had all kinds of weird outlet stuff. Can't help anymore on that but I do remember the cheese. Ahh, the cheese....for me it's ALWAYS about the cheese. And bread. Wow am I hungry now.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:36 am

HOLY SHIT! IS THAT A REAL CASTLE?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:45 am

fuck.

I'm still kind of excited, though....
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:20 am

If you miss the sign, you're completely blind.

i AM completely blind. but thanks for the info. i'm so going there!!!

is it snowing yet in the great lakes states?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:39 am

Not snowing here at the moment. Funny you ask about snow, though - we had this surreal, serene snow two days ago like I've never seen. The flakes were like 1-2" wide and just floated unlike snow I've ever seen. I've seen snow float slowly but this was in SLOOoooooww motion. I sat on the porch and ate mac and cheese and watched it for over an hour. Crazy stuff.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:47 am

i'm going to chicago later today. its supposed to snow in NYC at some point. i bet i follow it. brad - where are you again?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:25 am

I love snow and we need some more to get me juiced and in the mood for the Olympics. LUGE, baby, luge!!

Did we hijack this thread or what? What was this thread about again? Cheese? Since it's already gone to hell and I'm here at work with nowhere to go, are you in NY, Theresa? See Electric Frankenstein much? Just saw them this week and met Sal. Great show, I loved it.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:05 pm

If you're looking for a dive bar, not the Cactus-Club-Expensive-But-Hip kind, but the Cheap-Beer-Shitty-Jukebox kind, you can find one every few blocks or so. I would suggest getting high and going to the art museum, but I'm a dork.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:36 pm | Edited by: dale

The Mars Cheese Castle is a freaking landmark! When I go to WI via Chicago/I-94 I always stock up. There's also some great place right along the WI/Michigan U.P. border (Seymour I think) that's pretty sweet too. Not as huge of a selection of meat and animal shaped cheddars but almost every Wi. beer known to man. The name of the place escapes me now but I dropped a 100 bucks there on my last trip. Also, driving along the Lake Michigan shoreline in the UP is sweet. That's freaking God's country up there.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:53 pm

I would suggest getting high and going to the art museum, but I'm a dork.

hey, is there a "by donation" day at the art museum? I'm going to be in Milwaukee for 10 days at the end of this month and was thinking of checking it out this time. It's too easy to drink too much beer when I'm there and maybe some culture would be a good thing.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:16 pm

Get high and go to Lakefront Brewery. It's a great brewery tour. Pay 5 bucks and get a glass you can take home and while on the tour you get like 5 beers in your cup and a free drink at a choice of bars after the tour.

The tour is actually pretty cool for the first time. It's a tiny brewery and the I believe they have a total of 6 people working there. The old bearded beer belly beer maker will show you everything you need to know.

Then go get high again.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:30 pm

I've actually been on that tour before (this is my third trip there in 8 or 9 months). The best part was when the brewer guy made a couple of distasteful tampon and condom jokes in front of some little kids.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:39 pm

Well, the poor guy has been fucking hops and grains for years. He needs to try and fit in with society a little bit. Plus he's high all the time from sniffin aroma all these years.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Last time I was in Chicago someone told me you can tour the Colt 45 plant? I've lived in Milwaukee all my life and I didn't know Colt 45 was made here or that you could take a tour...
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:13 am

Welllllll, did ya eat the cheese????
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:46 am

I always get regular chese curds when I visit the in-laws in Eastern Iowa, but I've heard something about deep fried-chese curds being available in Wisc. What are those like? Are they breaded or something?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:48 am

Yeah, they're just little cheese balls that are battered and deep fried. To be honest, I don't like them very well. Love cheese sticks but the curds I've had were just okay.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Yeah, just ask if they're frozen or fresh and hand-battered - huge difference. Most are frozen. The Castle also has a bar. Pat the Jerk got bored of us checking out sausage footballs and brats so he had two whiskey and cokes (he saved the receipt - Mars Cheese Castle, whisk-coke 2).
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®