Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / First Album
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:38 am

If you remember, what was your first album? First one I owned - which was given to me by a neighbor - was Billy Joel's Songs in the Attic. First one I ever bought with my own dough was KISS:Alive. I bought it at Hart's department store for $1.99 and still have it.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:46 am

It was probably a Beatles tape or somethin'from my folks. I don't really remember buying my first album.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:53 am

kriss kross is boss hoss!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:34 am

AC/DC for those about to rock
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:45 am

i can't remember...but it may have been the Fonz album

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/images/Records%20Page/rec-fonzie. JPG
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:37 am | Edited by: Luke Warm

Springsteen - Born in the USA

...Which my friend's mom, screaming as though her baby had just been eaten by wolves, proclaimed was "the Devil's music" and forbade me from ever bringing it into their house again.

I was 10.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:43 am

dude, i got that fonze record. it doubles as a picture frame. sit on it!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:52 am

it was THE EARLY BEATLES in 1965
i only had 7" singles until then
including a yellow-gold colored vinyl single of the Theme From Mr. Ed
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:55 am

I wish I had the Green Acres theme.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:05 am

the batman record.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:09 am

the very first? i had some of those plastic records that came with books. that was a good time. but I think the first conscious record was the band M. for me, this was 1977 or 8.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:07 am

the batman record.

i got that for my tenth birthday! my birthday party was batman themed. i had such great batman stuff.... have NO IDEA where it is now. wish i still had it.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:21 am

My first 45 that I paid for with my own money was "the Curly Shuffle" by Jump In the Saddle...& my first LP was probably "Pac Man Fever" by Buckner & Garcia - followed quickly by "Thriller"...both around '82?.....

keep in mind I'm only counting those I bought with my own monies....
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:16 am

hammer don't hurt 'em (cassette)
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:36 am

Saxon - Strong Arm Of The Law, much to my embarrasment, but it was 1980 and I was only 15.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:14 am

Herman's Hermits... "Both Sides of Herman's Hermits"
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:08 am

"Bunk Johnson" on RCA..bought it with my paperboy money back in '63.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Rick Springfield - Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:14 pm

ABBA - The Visitors
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Madness - "Absolutely"
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:24 pm

my sister got me a walkman and an Ozzy Osbourne tape, "bark at the moon", for my 7th birthday. my mom made my sister return the ozzy tape for def leopards "hysteria", my 7 year old mind couldn't grasp why anyone would want to have sugar poured all over them, "wouldn't you get really sticky". then i got "appetite for destruction"
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:16 pm

I had countless of those old Peter Pan superhero/cartoon adventure albums- too many to remember which was first. I will never forget that very 1st album I bought with my own hard earned allowance tho- it was Adam Ant's Strip. I still have it.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Our cousin gave us Toys in the Attic and Destroyer. Quite an impression on 7 year olds. Followed by Elvis' Xmas record.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:25 pm

My first favorite records were some hippy band from L.A. called "The Neighborhood Children", and Disney's Haunted Mansion Halloween Record,or somethin' like that.I liked to turn the lights off and play it loud when other kids came over.Especially younger girls.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Ghostbusters soundtrack
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:40 pm

A cassette with Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual on side A and Tina Turner's Private Dancer on side B.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:46 pm

New Bomb Turks - Destroy Oh Boy
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:51 pm | Edited by: stealth387

first Rock n Roll albums were The Clash - Clash and
Jimi Hendrix - Smash hits

first CD ever, the pagemaster soundtrack.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Styx- Grand Illusion
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:04 pm

I had countless of those old Peter Pan superhero/cartoon adventure albums- too many to remember which was first.

Yeah, me too. I LOVED those things!

The other firsties I got was one christmas I got ALL of the kiss solo records AND a copy of LOVE GUN. My parents use to be cool.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:05 pm

My mom's copy of the Car Wash OST.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm

Styx- Grand Illusion
yeah, around 1st grade I was really in to this... and Billy Joel Glass House. I still like Glass House
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:17 pm

My first two tapes were the Bangles and the Top Gun soundtrack.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:21 pm

nobody said TAPES! nobody said CD's!

Damn Regan babies.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:26 pm

The first record I ever owned was a Learn Praying Mantis Kung Fu LP that had a killer booklet with it. I was 8. It's either smashed or being used for hip-hop samples.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:37 pm

nobody said TAPES! nobody said CD's!

Damn Regan babies.

That would be a TRUDEAU baby, but if you're being picky, my first record was a Mini-Pops LP.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:13 am

My first 45 that I paid for with my own money was "the Curly Shuffle" by Jump In the Saddle

THAT is why I love the Goner Board. It was either that (Curly Shuffle) or "Der Kommisar" by After the Fire. I guess Falco did it first.

First lp was 90125 by Yes.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:15 am

Disney's Haunted Mansion Halloween Record

I thank God every day that my older brother had this. You must be talking about "Thrilling Chilling Sounds of the Haunted House". I dare anyone to come up with another Halloween Album anyone gives a shit about let alone comes anywhere near this masterpiece.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:29 am

That one with the sounds on one side and the spooky stories on the other? Man, that fucking rules!!!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:30 am

If you mean bought with your own $ then...

'cos I got records I got handed down but anyways...

oingo boingo.
"good for your soul"...
...gimme a break I was 13 yrs old, and actually still own it and played the fuk outta it when I was young...
...whilst dancing like a 13 yr old moron of course...
I remeber seeing them On Thicke of the night on a Friday night and the very next day on American bandstand when they had the big band with 8 members. I think they lost a few members sometime after then but don't recall since that record "good for your soul" might have been their last stand (good thing). I hated their "Weird Science" shit...
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:32 am

"Der Kommisar" by After the Fire

I saw these twits open for somebody (can't remember who, I think maybe Rush) and they were, without a doubt, the WORST live act I've ever seen.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:42 am

I thought you said they opened for Rush.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:54 am

Mini-Pops LP.
those are so creepy.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:52 pm

I thought you said they opened for Rush.

Alright, I agree, and Rush is definately not my bag. I went with a friend, a drummer, who was gaga over Neil Peart (and for good reason). If someone is playing Rush I won't complain or leave the room. They're just not something I would play myself.

But here's the thing with Rush - love them or hate them, their music is brilliant. I mean, c'mon, have you ever listened to Red Barchetta? No one has to say a word in that song and you can FEEL what's going on. When he takes off in the car you feel like the wind is rushing through your hair before he tells you the wind is rushing through your hair. Then you know trouble comes before he tells you the cars are chasing him. The stuff they do with musical instruments is amazing. Same thing with that Trees song or with Limelight.

Again, love them or hate them everyone who plays any instrument should at least hear those songs to understand how those guys pushed those instruments to their max. I'd personally rather hear Link Wray make his guitar speak like a chicken but Rush does have a sound all their own.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®