Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Remember "Get a Life" w/ Chris Elliot?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 2:11 pm

friggin' hilariously stupid show from the 80s. It made everybody groan.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 2:17 pm

I loved it.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 2:26 pm

Handsome Boy Modeling School. classic.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 2:32 pm

remember when he got bribed to look the other way as a meat inspector for the USDA?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:22 pm

Actually, wasn't it the early 90's? Parker Lewis can't lose was another show on Fox from that period. I dunno, I watched Get A Life on DVD recently and it was nowhere NEAR as funny as I had remembered it being.

I'd REALLY like to see "You Can't Do That On Television" again. I always thought it was kinda lame as a kid, but the shit I remember seems like I would think it was hilarious now.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:34 pm

it was the 80s. I was in grade school, like 85 when it was on tv.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:43 pm

they used that R.E.M. song as the opening song
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:45 pm

Get A Life was early 90s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098802/
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:48 pm

i stand corrected!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:00 pm

Elliot took the "Handsome Boy Modeling School" idea from a group headed by Dan "Automator" Nakamura. Very original.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:01 pm

Chris also took his last name from his dad, the great Bob Elliot of Bob & Ray. very original again.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:17 pm

being 15 at the time, i loved it when his dad called him "a horse's ass". wait, i still love it.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:57 pm

I loved it when I was a kid, I watched an episode a few years back and it was pretty shitty. I used to watch Parker Lewis too..

Anyone remember Herman's Head...now that was a show.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:47 pm

I used to worship this show when I was like, 11. I actually just bought one of the Rhino DVD re-issues awhile back, and while I admit they don't seem as funny anymore, this was still a pretty cool show. Unfortunately, only 8 episodes have been officially released (2 DVD's, 4 episodes each). If yr really a geek, though, people trade dubs of the entire series on the internet sometimes (I've considering trying to get them all).

Chris Elliot was probably at his best when he was a writer for Letterman, and would make guest appereances on the show, doing shit like eating dog food, etc.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:55 pm

Elliot took the "Handsome Boy Modeling School" idea from a group headed by Dan "Automator" Nakamura.
yr kidding right. Get a Life was roughly 15 years ago. That HBMS stuff is from 99-00.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:01 pm

no, eric's right. i read that somewhere.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:04 pm

The Fugitive Guy
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:08 pm | Edited by: Matthew

from All Music Guide...

Handsome Boy Modeling School was a teaming of quirky super-producers Prince Paul (best-known for his work with De la Soul and Stetsasonic) and Dan "The Automator" Nakamura (fresh off his underground success with Kool Keith's Dr. Octagon album). Taking their name from an episode of the cult Chris Elliott sitcom Get a Life (which was sampled several times on their album), Paul and Dan... Read More...
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:11 pm | Edited by: SinglesGoingSteady

He didn't steal the name, Eric

What? Did you just say you had a "butt" implant?

It's the other way around:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

As individuals, the two producers have impeccable pedigrees: Nakamura has steered the likes of Gorillaz and Dr Octagon, while Huston is the musical talent behind De La Soul and Stetsasonic. When they decided to record an album together, 1999's So ... How's Your Girl?, these long-time friends took their group name from an episode of US cult sitcom Get a Life and assumed the cigar-puffing, martini-sipping alter egos Nathaniel Merriweather and Chest Rockwell.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:28 pm | Edited by: richie

Chest Rockwell = stolen from Boogie Nights
Nathaniel Merriweather = stolen from Cabin Boy (kinda)
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:36 pm

i don't know how you can say that. Chris Elliot stole it from them. they're musicians, probably on drugs, and easily bribed to say whatever you want them to say.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:33 pm

True.
that's why I never listen to music.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:49 pm

Christ, I loved that show. I loved the final episode when Chris went up against the Paperboy 2000. His parents in their PJs. Man, that show was hilarious. I never understood why nobody else got that show - everybody I know hates it.

Best Fugitive Guy was also the final one where David goes looking for the FG and finds Chris dragging that boot on a stick through the sand. I also loved it when Chris was celebrating National Coffee Week and was gonna drink that whole kiddie pool full of coffee. That other guy kept getting in there with his gross feet and checking the temperature. Good times.

And then Chris made that pirate movie - damn that was bad.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:50 pm

Some people round these parts liked that sailor movie. They liked it so much they even started a band based on . . .

Never mind.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:51 pm

Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:10 pm

Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:34 pm

Now that is totally gay.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:57 pm

I loved the show! I remember him letting two hot dog wieners hang out of his mouth and then shaking his head so the wieners would flop around. He was Weiner Boy.

I also remember a co-worker's little boy saying to me back then, "Hey, you look like Chris Peterson on Get a Life."
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 11:20 pm

Spewie!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 11:27 pm

He had a submarine in the bathtub...
I think his male-modeling name was Sparkles
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 12:06 am

i have some FUGITIVE GUYS on tape from high school letterman tapings... what a nerd. awesome, though.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:09 am

+ he rode a bicycle at the start of the credits..
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:25 am

Anyone else notice that Tony Dow, aka Wally Cleaver, directed Get a Life?

What about Bruce Campbell's Adventures of Briscoe County Jr, another early FOX show.....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®