Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / So you guys into Wilco or what?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 12:42 am

Sincerely,

A. Wonderer
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 12:43 am

Absolutely.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 12:52 am

NO.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:02 am

I like some of their stuff. The Mermaid Avenue action with Billy Bragg is better than most of Wilco's straight up stuff in my humble opinion.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:12 am

NO.

We are (my family unit.)
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:36 am

I like some of Wilco's stuff, but I don't think they're anywhere near as great or as "important" as their hype would have you believe.

One of the biggest crimes in the music world is that Wilco is a hugely succesful "college"/"indie" band who shows up on late-night talk shows (Conan, Letterman, etc.), while Reigning Sound is still a relative cult act. It makes NO sense. Greg O's songs are waaay more awesome on a consistent basis than Jeff Tweedy's are; Greg's a better singer; and Reigning Sound's sound is actually more accessible than Wilco's occasional self-indlugence when you think about it.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:53 am

i never heard it, and no. i dislike it on principle as well.

Yeah fuck you cunt-tree hippis.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:55 am

THEY FUCKING SUCK
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:11 am

I HATE THEM!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:16 pm

hype

thats all that needs to be said really...
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:37 pm

Yes I like them. I haven't heard their latest but I do think Tweedy is a good, if somewhat over-rated songwriter. I listen to much more Cartwright stuff but even the Reigning Sound themselves have acknowledged that they think Tweedy is good at what he does in at least one interview.

I love dirty, noisy punk rock but at the same time I'm not going to pretend I don't have a past, or that my crib was lined with the Killed By Death series. Didn't we all grow up listening to AND loving cheesy pop-radio?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:50 pm

Never really liked them that much, but I made a comp of some stuff from soulseek and I dig it. Some pretty good songwriting, decent feel to it. Nothing great, but pretty good.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:50 pm

Wilco is hardly cheesy pop radio... more like an updated version of the Grateful Dead as played by people who grew up listening to X and the Velvet Underground.

I think Tweedy's a great songwriter- I can sometimes do without the experiments and length of some of the newer stuff, and live Wilco tend to jam, which is kinda boring.

But check out "Being There"- it's their second record. It's pretty amazing.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:58 pm

They lost it after the fat dreadlock wanker left, now it's just clinical college radio shit ... Funny how the biggest tosser in the band was the one seemingly giving 'em all the humanity ...
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:00 pm

It's true what you say, BigKeg- the guy with dreads (shudder) was what kept them a bad-ass bar band. Their new stuff is interesting, just not as visceral and rockin' as it once was.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:03 pm

Yup, you can't fuck with the first three albums, they're great ... Too bad that Tweedy is all medded-out and got all them soul-less hired hands in ... Not a band, no mo' ... Poor John Stirrat, must be hangin' in there for the moolah, hoping the Autumn Defense get bigger ...
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:06 pm

Autumn Defense! HA!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:12 pm

I thought that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album was interesting for boring indie stuff. I liked it enough to buy it, but I doubt I'll ever listen to it again on purpose. I've heard the earlier stuff and it's just boring, even the lyrics, real cookie-cutter type alt/indie/country/boring stuff.
I saw them play once outside. It was the most boring worst frat-party type stuff I've ever seen. I didnt even know it was them. I asked somebody "who let Widespread on the stage" and they replied "oh, that's WILCO".
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:45 pm

saw 'em in oxford for some Double Decker Fest and was bored. just heard 'em on The Best Show On WFMU (after New Christs!) and it sounded all right.

John Stirrat (bass) is from Oxford, MS and has always been super nice. His sister Laurie was an original Preachers Kid.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:31 pm

A.M. - predictable alt-country-by-numbers
Being There - pretty fucking good. Faces meets Willie & The Family meets 90's indie rawk
Summerteeth - also really good. Heavy on the Brian Wilson, Third/ Sister Lovers
YHF - not horrible. SERIOUSLY overrated
the newest one - who cares?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:55 pm

nope! i had a french band stay with me awhile back and they needed to buy a guitar. we all went over to the really expensive guitar shop in lakeview and while they were looking at stuff. jeff tweedy was testing out a guitar. it annoyed the frenchies and they told him to keep it down. take that jerkoff!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:10 pm

I like me some Wilco.....seen em twice.....once on top of the Gibson lounge.......ace show.....then saw em at BSMF after Big Star and they bored the shit outta me.
The two records they did with Billy Bragg are great records....Woody Guthrie lyrics and Wilco and Bragg music.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:19 pm

i love them. saw them before back when i was in high school, but haven't seen them since. yankee hotel foxtrot is great. being there and summerteeth are fucking fantastic too. a ghost is born is whatever. i'm not that into that one. the billy bragg comps are terrific. i read their bio and it seems to be a pretty interesting story...gives insight behind the songs, which i found to be pretty neat. but yeah...they're one of my favorites. and yhf is probably one of the most played cds in my collection.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:20 pm

I dig Wilco. good sunday morning stuff. they won't get you laid and if you're looking to dance around like a idiot and throw beer all over yourself I wouldn't look to them to get you there. never saw them, kind of an expensive ticket here in chicago. I really like "Spiders/Kid Smoke" I think that was on A Ghost is Born which is my fav of theirs
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:30 pm

there is one song i thought was good, but i really can't take too much of it. this dude i used to work with would play one of the more recent records and it sounded like ass(recording wise) even though it was touted by all the indie geeks as brilliant just because jim o'rouke recorded it. regardless, i think they are lame north side cubs fan rock.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:30 pm

but i do like john prine...
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:31 pm

John Prine's great! I've seen him before. Good show.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:32 pm

Wilco is hardly cheesy pop radio... more like an updated version of the Grateful Dead as played by people who grew up listening to X and the Velvet Underground.

What I meant was...if you break it down, the less-experimental stuff they do is not so different from what was once popular, radio-friendly music.

I think that's what the Golden Smog (with Tweedy) were hinting at with their album title. "Down by the Old Mainstream".
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 10:16 pm

Whatever you think of them, that DVD documentary of theirs is great viewing. Great insight into why dreadlock-guy (AKA Jay Bennett) may have had to leave.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:46 am

i'm a fan, but as previously stated, in previous threads, i'm also half a fag.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:29 am

John Stirrat (bass) is from Oxford, MS and has always been super nice. His sister Laurie was an original Preachers Kid.

John Stirratt is actually from New Orleans....well Covington, north of the lake......he is honestly one of the coolest guys I've ever met....his solo stuff is pretty good.....

I like Wilco, although I was a big fan of Uncle Tupelo and I always liked them better.....
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:39 am

The Mermaid Avenue action with Billy Bragg is better than most of Wilco's straight up stuff in my humble opinion.

its good because jeff tweedy didn't write the songs.

john stirratt is the coolest, yes he is. i like that guy a LOT

actually, i am VERY HARSH w/ tweedy, so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt. i worked on the mermaid avenue film and i found tweedy to be a total diva (so did billy's wife...since she had last word in the editing... tweedy does come off as the diva he was at the time. maybe we were both harsh... i got the feeling nora guthrie didn't like him too much either)

i LOVED uncle tupelo.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:26 am

i'm also half a fag.
that's what happens when you like alt country

broke back baby
brokeback
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:10 am

The only thing wrong with alt country is most of it! It was an alternative to Garth, not to the spirit of Hank - most of these alt country combos/warblers are and always were unremitting shite ...

Brokeback, tet68? You trying to tell us summat, like? Unrequieted love it sounds like to me, someone pass that rube the lube ...
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:15 pm

The whole alt country was a sham. There was a brief window, say '98-02, when there was some interesting stuff. The whole thing collapsed under the weight of it's own self importance. The problem with most "country rock" is it doesn't rock.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:28 pm

I actually have the Uncle Tupelo 2 LP set and liked it a lot. I liked the first palace Brothers as well. I never came across anything after that that I liked. Those records got me back into listening to old country and that pissed on everything else coming from the alt country folks. It was cheap as well cos I could just raid my dads record collection. He liked it at first but got pissed off after a while when I started taking his records to parties and getting them all messed up.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:38 pm

I like my Palace brothers, Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt in small doses. Live that alt country stuff is almost always either boring or very depressing.

The problem with most "country rock" is it doesn't rock.
One truly great country artist (that really rocks) is Lucinda Williams - one of the best shows I ever saw (a few years back).
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:43 pm

tweedy does come off as the diva he was at the time.
i don't doubt that for a second. maybe it had something to do with his addiction to pills. i still like his music though.

there are still quite a few groups that fall under the alt country banner that i like, although i'm not a big fan of that label. Blanche is a really good band. the Handsome Family are good. There are a lot of solo people here in Chicago (due to Bloodshot) that are good, like Sally Tims.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:44 pm

The problem with most "country rock" is it doesn't rock.

i think the problem w/ country rock is that its a term made up by people who don't really know what "country" or "rock" is really supposed to be

real country can rock your balls off.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Theresa nails it - I'd add, or break your heart to that statement, though!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:05 pm

I always defined 'country rock' as country made by city slickers with fancy ideas. And long hair like theyre's girls or somethin. Round these parts we don't be taking to kindly to those types, no maam.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:15 pm

One time this fancy-pants band rolls into town and I say "Jed, now would you look at that" and he spits and says "Sure do, they's look like their mother was a gorilla". And when we'd done laughing, I shouts at them "Hey boy, you got no barbers where you come from?" and when Jed had quit laughing at that he goes over and shoots em. After that we take em over to old Jesco the taxidermist and he says "Well I'll be. What you got there? Some kind of man-women?" and I says "That's city slickers. All five of em, all with fancy electrofized guitars and all" And he says he can stuff em for free as he aint had much practice in stuffing no city slickers and he reckons the practice would do him good, him being a taxidermist and all. So after he's done, we haul em out and haul em down the street as Jesco's fitten them with castors to make haulin' em easier. And we put them next the sign on the edge of town that says Welcome. We put them there as a warnin'.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Now, eighteen years they stand there as a warnin'. We get used to folks all high spirited pulling pranks like the one time I came into town and saw someone'd done em up as red indians. But that's all small stuff and easily put right. The mayor would once a week go and personally clean em up and put right any wrong been done to em over the weekend. He even had young Billy the electrician fix em up with light bulbs inside their heads that'd make their heads glow up at night. That'd stop the boys knocking down the Welcome sign at night after they'd been up in the hills sippin shine as they'd be easy to see. But lately, things have not been altogether right with em. First thing goes is a guitar, then a jacket. I know for a fact it aint the young folk. They got no use for jackets or guitars. No, I got to thinkin about it real hard. There's rumours about Jeff Tweedy and I get to thinkin if there aint some truth behind em. people for years been talking about Jeff tweedy: he's been sighted down at Devil's Hollow, someone out huntin spotted him up at Fletcher's Gorge or by the old mine. I seen bigfoot three times but aint never seen no Jeff Tweedy. I was reckonin these stories were just cooked up by jokesters or tales told by mothers to scare their youngins out of playin in the woods and gettin lost. But as I said I got to thinkin. Next to go is an harmonica, then an electric bass then a fiddle then one night I wake up to a hollerin and bangin and there's Jed pale as a sheet "I done saw Jeff Tweedy!" he says. I take him in and put a light on him and take a whiff to see if he aint been drinkin but he's shakin and white and I can't smell no drink. "You been on the shine, Jed?" I ask him. "No sir" he says, "I done saw him plain as I see you". I fix him a drink and tellim to sit down and he's asking me to call the sheriff and saying all this crazy talk about Jeff Tweedy up by the city slickers trying on a jacket. He got me all scared but I took my gun and told him to sit tight while I go take a look "No! Don't!" he's shoutin, "It aint safe to go runnin around at night when Jeff tweedy's about!". I told him to stay there and I take a light and my dogs and go out into the night. I go out and let my dogs go on up ahead. I can't see em but sure can hear em barkin and snarlin at somethin. "What ya go there, boys?" I shout and move up to em with my gun levelled, "You found somethin?". Then I hear a whine then another whine then silence. All I can hear is my heart beatin. "You there?" I shout, but those dogs don't make a sound. I walk up to the city slickers and then I see em. Both dogs, dead with their necks broke. I get to cryin and hollerin and stoop down to em but I know it aint no use. Those dogs are stone cold. Suddenly I hear a movement in the bushes and shine my light on it. There he is, plain as day. Jeff Tweedy. He's crouched, blood dripping from his mouth and he gives out this inhuman roar. A roar like I never heard before except a few times heard in the distance while out huntin, a roar that chilled my to the bone. I gather my wits and fire two shots but he's gone. I hear him dart through the bushes then again I hear that roar, that inhuman sound. After that the sightings stopped. The city slickers were left alone and the mayor had em fixed up good and proper. The rumors about Jeff Tweedy still persist, but that's all folk think of them as: rumors. But I know what I saw that night long ago and it still haunts me to this very day.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:16 pm

real country can rock your balls off

That's my point exactly. Usually, alt country is just a singer-songwriter with some sort of country instrumentation. Good alt country: Uncle Tupelo, first two Sun Volt records, Slobberbone, Blue Mountain, Drive by Truckers, Jason and the Scorchers. Bad alt country: Handsome Family, Prince William Bonny whatever the fuck his name is now, Jayhawks, Ryan Adams.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:11 pm

Usually, alt country is just a singer-songwriter with some sort of country instrumentation.

isn't most old school country just singer songwriter oriented stuff with country instrumentation, before the concept of "singer songwriter" was a solid genera? maybe i sound ignorant, but when you listen to Hank Williams, early Willie Nelson demos, etc you're not listening to it as a "band". You're not listening to it like it's the Rolling Stones and thinking about the music as it's played by members of a band, with distinct individual identities. it's about a front man (or woman) and the guys in the background are mostly incidental.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:01 pm

I think you hit it on the head Jay. I recently made myself a mix cd with Hank's "Alone and Forsaken" on it. Just his voice and a guitar. I'm not usually much of one for lyrics, but that guy could really tell a story. Haunting.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Good alt country: Uncle Tupelo, first two Sun Volt records, Slobberbone, Blue Mountain, Drive by Truckers, Jason and the Scorchers. Bad alt country: Handsome Family, Prince William Bonny whatever the fuck his name is now, Jayhawks, Ryan Adams.

Are you my evil twin? Except for liking early Jayhawks, and some Will Oldham I'm right there with you on this...
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:26 pm

if someone had a gun to your head: freakfolk or y'alt country?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:06 pm

y'allternative?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:25 pm

i'm mostly into the new Spank Rock single, "put that pussy on me"

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=18012
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:59 pm

Wilco? No.
If we're talking alt. country; The Jayhawks and a few others sound fine but the thing to remember for me is something Johny Cash writes in his autobiography and something I believe too. Real country music died when country life and work died, in the 70's. Whether it's "new country" or "alt. country" nothing today is real country. Many fewer people live in the sticks these days and even those people have cable T.V., Xboxes and the intronet.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:00 pm

As far as music goes if it's sincere and it sounds good... well...
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:07 pm

BETTER THAN COLDPLAY!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:07 pm

I take issue with the notion that just because someone wasn't born in a certain place to certain conditions they can't play the type of music/create the type of art typically associated with that time and/or place.

Kris Kristofferson anybody? Yeah, he was a Rhodes Scholar and went to Oxford. Bruce Springsteen? Never worked a day in his life. The Clash definitely weren't from Jamaica. Gram Parson was a trust-fund kid who went to Harvard, and The Dickle Brothers never rode in a box-car, either.

Novelists write outside the realm of personal experience almost by definition.

So saying that "real country" had to be made in the South before 70's to really matter is kinda bullshit, all due respect to Johnny Cash.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 2:48 am

Man, anyone who trashes Wilco doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Wilco makes some of the most original, sincere, NON-HIPPIE rock and roll around. They are good friends, and great guys, and they know REAL rock and roll. Go listen to some Richard Lloyd, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, avant/noise composers like Karl Heinz Stockhausen and LaMonte Young, X, The Screamers, Leaving Trains or any Dangerhouse band, and getcha some learnin' and see where Jeff is really coming from. And by the way, John Stirratt is not just hanging around for the paycheck waiting for The Autumn Defense to get big. He loves what he does.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 2:54 am

And they don't "jam" any MOTO does.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 2:56 am

any more than MOTO does...sorry
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:53 am

I like my country mexican style
I like The Paladins
I used to like X
I like Hillbilly
I like Cracker
any honkytonk pre '75

may the twang bless and keep you
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:25 pm

Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:12 pm

I can't really get into the records, but all the live footage of seen of them playing with Nels Cline on guitar sounds fucking awesome.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:18 pm

i'm not a wilco fan and i didn't understand the hype surrounding 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' but the song "forget the flowers" from 'being there' has been a household favourite for years now so after all i guess i do like wilco - sometimes-yeah...
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:34 pm

I didn't mean you have to be a farm hick to play country properly, just that the context isn't there anymore. You can't make it big anymore without some suburban appeal. Sounding like Wilco meets Johnny Cash would be a modern formula with common appeal sooner than doing Doc Boggs strait. My comment was as much about audience as artist.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Ahh. I see. Word.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Sounding like Skynard will get one laid now in the sticks faster than sounding like 'ol Hank.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Then again, there are bands like Old Crow Medicine Show that are doing pretty well, and they're doing a pretty straight-forward country/Apalachian/string band thing.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:13 pm

Sure. Thank goodness for "roots" people keepin' the dream alive.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:26 pm

I'm thankful that someone is still playing guitars (real chords even!), at least for now. The way a lot of folks view "roots" music is the way people will view anything played on guitar, be it rock, country, punk, pop, metal or jazz/experimental soon enough. It will be seen as carrying on a "folk" tradition, or as a nostalgia trip. I don't mean folk in terms of musical style but as a social phenomenon. They'll say "ain't that cute/quaint?".

The book of guitar oriented music has been well-written, over and over. At this point we're just keeping up the tradition and that's enough for me.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:29 pm

We need a new instrument then to change the world like the guitar did in the fifties.
Wilco, will you help us find it?!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 9:48 pm

I prefer Son Volt, esp. after reading how Tweedy tried to paw up on Farrar's girlfriend, which was the beginning of the end of Uncle Tupelo, according to a Farrar profile I read. Tweedy is the Whitney Houston of rock.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:28 pm

Good alt country: Uncle Tupelo, first two Sun Volt records, Slobberbone, Blue Mountain, Drive by Truckers, Jason and the Scorchers. Bad alt country: Handsome Family, Prince William Bonny whatever the fuck his name is now, Jayhawks, Ryan Adams.

Are you my evil twin? Except for liking early Jayhawks, and some Will Oldham I'm right there with you on this

The first Palace Bros or Palace music, or whatever it was, was allright, same with a couple of Jayhawks songs. I used to like a lot of the "No Depression" type stuff, but it seems like all those bands lost their edge and wanted to go beyond their "roots". As for the singer-songwriter vs. band debate, take a look at Buck Owens or Johnny Cash or Waylon Jennings. All great songwriters, but they also had great BANDS that really contributed to their sound. Hank Williams was a force of nature, not just a songwriter. The whole country vs. rock thing has been the main problem with my band Gravy Boat. We've played four hour honky tonk gigs and 30 minute "rock" sets. The only time the crowd seems to get "it" is when we play in Atlanta or the Carolinas.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:30 pm

Good alt country: Uncle Tupelo, first two Sun Volt records, Slobberbone, Blue Mountain, Drive by Truckers,

Drive By Truckers = one of the best live bands I've seen
don't really know about the albums
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®