| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / "if the kids don't hate it, it ain't rocknroll"
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:27 am

hey where did this quote come from?
i used to see it on the goner page
i don't know who said it, but its become my credo
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:33 am

too true!

originally (and wrongfully) attributed to Mike Piazza, this was actually first coined by Loafing The Donkey zine head Peter Mantis (ex-Underwearheads), and quickly appropriated by GONER.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:42 am

put it back up
pleeeeeease
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:45 am

I've never understood that quote. Why are kids supposed to hate it for it to be r'n'r? I need to go to bed now. Goodnight.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:31 am

Mike Piazza
The gay Mets catcher? Always thought he had a cute butt and a nice swing.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:37 am

Piazza's day is done. He kinda needs to retire. Bad knees ya know! Lookout San Diego! He's all yours now!!!!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:48 am

I've never understood that quote
i dunno why but it makes sense to me
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 7:17 am

it makes sense to me : kids love bubblegum punkrock like green day, the offspring - they don't like real rock 'n' roll like the oblivians, teengenerate 'cuz that music is too raunchy - over here in belgium, most shows are all ages - at our favourite hangouts, there are no kids, just ugly men in their late twenties-thirties (fourties - hey bowy!) - kids don't like rock 'n roll!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 8:40 am

I always thought that was a Jeff Evans quote. Didn't he use it in the liner notes on a '68 Comeback record?
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 8:50 am

"if the goners don't hate it, it ain't cutesy pop"
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 1:09 pm

"Around the world or around the block, Everywhere I go the kids wanna rock"
- bryan adams
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:34 pm

it makes sense to me : kids love bubblegum punkrock like green day, the offspring - they don't like real rock 'n' roll like the oblivians, teengenerate 'cuz that music is too raunchy - over here in belgium, most shows are all ages - at our favourite hangouts, there are no kids, just ugly men in their late twenties-thirties (fourties - hey bowy!) - kids don't like rock 'n roll!

I always considered it from a 50's point of view where if you were a grown up you'd hate it. Rock'n'roll is supposed to be kids music.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:03 pm

at our favourite hangouts, there are no kids, just ugly men in their late twenties-thirties

hey remember going to the cynics or thee headcoats at 17 ? there were more kids at shows back then

and I'm not ugly
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 5:30 pm

My experience is kids will outnumber everybody else and the band they like the most tends to be the lamest, most generic, rock-star-attitude shit. Or the band with the most 'whoa hoa' choruses. They eat that shit up. Then a bunch of retarded looking dorks come on and play a great set and the kids tend to just stand there not knowing what to make of it seen as their frame of reference is so fucked. Another thing is, when I walk into a room, all the guys instantly look ugly compared to me.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 8:00 pm

My experience is kids will outnumber everybody else and the band they like the most tends to be the lamest, most generic, rock-star-attitude shit. Or the band with the most 'whoa hoa' choruses. They eat that shit up. Then a bunch of retarded looking dorks come on and play a great set and the kids tend to just stand there not knowing what to make of it seen as their frame of reference is so fucked.
that happens to my band about twice a month

i hate the "kids"
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 8:03 pm

or maybe we're just that bad
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 8:40 pm

i think it's a great saying, but it gets fucked when some kids come around who actually like good stuff.

those kids usually hate kids their age, though, and can relate.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 8:43 pm

Putting that slogan on the back of Goner t-shirts would be like a license to print money.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 8:58 pm

Thats me.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 9:14 pm

license granted once t-shirt dude returns from europe!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 9:20 pm

you gonna do red on black or black on red?
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 9:20 pm

indeed!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:15 pm

you make me proud
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:23 pm

i think it's a great saying, but it gets fucked when some kids come around who actually like good stuff.

See? I realize the quote is true, I just wish it didn't have to be that way.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:37 pm

I hate mostly everyone unless I have a good reason to like someone. Rock N Roll? Rock 'n Roll? Rock 'N' Roll? Rock 'n' Roll? It ain't about the music.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:11 pm

Yep.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:42 pm

R-O-C-K in the USA.....hey!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:10 pm

my music must be very rock and roll.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:28 pm

Bazooks, would teenage hipster kids like any of the records you play?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:33 pm

Define 'hipster.'
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:53 pm

Define 'hipster.'

norman mailer wrote a pretty good essay on the hipster...its in one of the appendices of "the portable beat reader"
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:42 am

I've been in my band since school, my classmates preferred music made by jerks who played funk metal or horrendous pop punk. Not many understood good music.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:57 pm

Studies have shown that the vast majority of people don't actually like music at all. It's just background, a badge of belonging to some cliche or an aid to aggression or relaxation for the average person. When I learned that, people's lack of taste made more sense.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:00 pm

So next time you're jammin' some bad ass old R&B or Coltrane or something and breakin' down the merits for a non-believer, don't be perplexed that they don't open their ears.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:06 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

One of my favorite quotes is in the documentary, "Straight, no Chaser."
A critic asks Thelonius Monk after a concert what kinds of music he likes.
He replies, "I like all kinds of music."
Then the critic tries to pigeonhole him by asking, "Even country music?"
At which point Monk turns to a friend and says, "I think this man's hard o' hearing."
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:07 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

Sorry for my diarhea of the keyboard.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®