Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best 90's Garage Bands
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 12:35 pm | Edited by: Bob Seger

found this link over at garagepunk.com...

http://static-party.blogspot.com/

what are more kick ass garage bads from the 90's...???
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 12:37 pm | Edited by: Bob Seger

hmm
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 12:51 pm

Les Sexareenos
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 1:25 pm

Supercharger
Dead Moon
Cynics
Oblivians
Headcoats

all five also best 80's garage bands
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 1:25 pm

Brentwoods
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 1:41 pm | Edited by: ottawarockerdude

Posted: Feb 1, 2006 3:34 pm

The Fallouts? I only have "Here I Come and Other Hits" but I love it. Well, the first side anyway.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:03 pm

We're concentrating on bands that haven't comped at the moment, or are still trapped only on vinyl, and preferably out of print as well (which covers about 95% of what could be called 90's 'garage' punk anyway). Once we plow thru all of those, we can start on the bands that ARE comped on cds, like in 2008 or something?
-Static Party
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:08 pm

We're concentrating
Once we plow
we can start on

Who is this "we" you speak of?
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:21 pm

Drags
Stallions

Supercharger and the Oblivians started in the 90s, Supercharger started in late 89, but that's not really the 80s.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:27 pm

Drags for sure!
Fireworks
Beguiled
Demolition Doll Rods
Gories
Blacktop
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:32 pm

theres no such thing as a kick ass garage band from the 90s...garage bands were kick ass in the 60s...accidently. Their inpetitude in trying to be the Kinks or the Stones created a cool sound by accident, emulating that is retarded and boring.

The Oblivians were not a neo garage band, those guys were way too smart for that. They were just a trashy ass gutter rock band.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:35 pm

Wow thanks for the lesson. Rock on.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:56 pm

Blacktop
Cheater Slicks (Yeah, formed in the 80's, but I still see them as a 90s band)
Gibson Bros. (the stuff they did in 90s is the best they did)
Bassholes
68' Comeback (first few releases)
Scat Rag Boosters

I'm not sure if they fit in to your definition of garage, but great bands anyways.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:59 pm

Devil Dogs
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:10 pm

Psyclone Rangers
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:03 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

The Fallouts? I only have "Here I Come and Other Hits" but I love it. Well, the first side anyway.

They rule! All their records are excellent. Their version of the old blues/gospel standard "Bury My Body" is one of my all-time favorite songs. They did a one-off show in SF about 2 years ago and they were still great.

How about Teengenerate?
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:08 pm

Their version of the old blues/gospel standard "Bury My Body" is one of my all-time favorite songs.

That's the one I usually spin. Slammin', G!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:09 pm

Joe Chopper's right, though. Teengenerate were a punk band, not a garage ('66 style) band. However, the parlance of the time grouped all that shit together, so whatever.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:24 pm

However, the parlance of the time grouped all that shit together

Totally. Whether any of these bands was REALLY "garage" was irrelevant. Any band on Crypt, Estrus, Get Hip, Bag of Hammers, Rip Off, Super Electro, etc. was immediately filed under the Garage umbrella. It was just lazy labeling, like always.

I think "garage" started to encompass any band that played something approximating trashy rock n' roll that didn't have members with mohawks and/or a singer with with a faux British accent.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:25 pm

Joe Chopper's right, though.

I'm pretty sure we're smart enough to understand the question at hand not gripe about labels. Plus Teengen hadn't even been brought up yet, so wrap your skinny white lips around my thick brown lovestick, dick-pee.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:36 pm

Couldn't Teenagerate be considered a garage punk band? I thought this shit went three ways: punk, garage rock (66' cover band fare), garage punk (Oblivs, Supercharger, Teengen, whatever). Like...garage punk meant a punk band with shitty/trashy production, but mainly with more of a punk influence (rather than a BFTG influence). That's just how I always chopped it up. That's just me, though. I could be wrong. I usually am.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:38 pm | Edited by: Shaun A

The worst thing about garage in the 90s was that any single that was imported from the US that was even remotely garage had the price hiked right up. This is the UK I'm talking about. Around '94/'95, imported indie singles sold at 2.50 but imported (probably in the same shipment) garage singles sold at 4.99. Ten dollars for a new single over ten years ago was a fucking joke. I loved the Trashwomen but couldn't buy any of their singles or offshoot bands also I couldn't affort to take a chance on anything I'd never heard. I missed out on all the good stuff. I asked once and got told that people always would pay that much money. Fucking record collectors!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:41 pm

But today, my housemate came back from LA with a bunch of singles from the cut-out bin at Amoeba all for two dollars - Loli and The Chones, Killawatts, Royal Pendletons and a mexican surf comp on Repent. I'm pretty fucking happy with them!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:17 pm

Teengenerate was mentioned by Hugh a post or two above mine, blindy!

Shaun - a lot of that had to do with the exchange rates at the time. It's reversed now, thanks to our brilliant President, so we're the ones paying $22 for an LP and $12 for a 7".
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:18 pm

Sorry man. I just wanna hang out with you.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:19 pm

I definitely don't want to head down the "garage" definition highway anymore. I never agreed with the way the label was used back then. You either sound like a '66 teen band ripping off the Brit Invasion or you do not.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:19 pm

That's cool. I'm busy at work, but I'm trying to pretend I'm not. People keep axeing me questions.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm all like, "fuckin fuck you! Fucker!"
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:24 pm

cut-out bin at Amoeba all for two dollars - Loli and The Chones, Killawatts, Royal Pendletons and a mexican surf comp on Repent.

How long did he look before he found that stuff? There's almost always some good stuff like that in the cut-out/used boxes at the Amoeba stores in San Francicsco and Berkeley, but it can take literally hours to go through all of those boxes.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:38 pm

I think I quickly sold a few of those records listed on that link and wouldn't have bought the others. The nineties were great.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:12 pm

That Fall-Outs record is UNREAL! They were mostly puttin shit out in the 80's- with alla those other Seattle garage rockers like Rob Vasquez's bands.

I remember buying that record 'cause it looked like some sort VU freakout (I was 14 at the time) and being just blown away when I got home and put it on. Then, when I moved to Seattle when I was 17 or 18, I lived with this chick who was sister-in-law to the singer from Gas Huffer and ex-wife/baby momma to Rob Vasquez (Night Kings, Nights and Days, etc.). We had a bbq one summer afternoon, and who should show up but ALL of the Fallouts (singer's nephew's band actually played), Mark Arm and Steve Turner, and all of Gas Huffer. It was a teenage fanboy's dream come true.

Also, the "Mr. Zero" record that Get Hip put out in, like 1997 rules pretty hard, too. I think the band was led by some former Billy Childish associate from France, and they only put out that one LP. The first song kills: "Ima woman eater! Yeah! A woman eater! Listen!"
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:18 pm

The nineties were great.

For me too, cuz I spent alot of 'em gettin' tanked and puking right next to you with alla those rcords on! Good times bro, let's hang out soon.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:47 pm

<i>Also, the "Mr. Zero" record that Get Hip put out in, like 1997 rules pretty hard, too. I think the band was led by some former Billy Childish associate from France, and they only put out that one LP. The first song kills: "Ima woman eater! Yeah! A woman eater! Listen!"</i>

Yes! That record is really a slept-on classic. When I first heard that song I could've sworn it was 40 years old.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:48 pm

underlooked classic for the BLOG:

DOGBREATH 7"

believe it!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:56 pm

Ashley Von Hurter and the Haters!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:59 pm

Yeah, I gues this is about the not-so-obvious.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 10:06 pm

Ashley Von Hurter and the Haters!
good band.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 10:08 pm

Motards, although John always insisted "we're a fucking punk band."
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 10:32 pm

The Makers had a really great run there.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 11:15 pm

Armitage Shanks, too.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 11:52 pm

Paranoids
Satans
Inhalents
Hatebombs

The Makers destroyed, and the Drags still sound explosive.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 12:48 am

yeah, that DOGBREATH single is tons of fun. I remember e-mailing them and one of the guys saying they recorded an album. Don't think it came out but anyone have a copy of that?
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 12:52 am

ALBUM?

maybe i do... damn! gotta raid my cassette stash.

i do have live stuff...
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 1:04 am

Hollywood Amoeba, he spent about ten minutes. He's into electro-pop and pulled out ones he thought I'd like. They have a '90's garage' section in the cut-outs. His choices were pretty fucking good considering.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:12 am

he spent about ten minutes.

Man, he hit the motherlode! If I dare to search through there and I find 2 decent things after an hour's search, I consider it a major success.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:24 am

C O M P U L S I V E
G A M B L E R S ! !

C O M P U L S I V E
G A M B L E R S ! !
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:25 am

yeah they didn't sound british, whateva..
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:26 am

The 90s were all about nigger music, not garage you dumbass bitches.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:35 am

The bad thing is, he said there was a bunch of Rip Off stuff but only had a limited amount of money on him so chose ones he liked the sleeves of (example: Loli And the Chones dancing with inflatable women outside a supermarket). I'd love to know what other stuff they have in there. Incidentally, all the Rip Off singles I own come from that same store. Mainly from 2002 when my ex was there. She bought the Teenage Rejects single from there and described the sleeve over the phone from some fancy hotel in LA to me. My band copied that sleeve for our LP, fact fiends!

Amazing!

The 90s were all about nigger music, not garage you dumbass bitches.

looks like the goner board has a new 'troll' and the troll is a total cocksucker, so you'll fit right in
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:37 am

You're a troll, Mitch Ass.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:39 am

i troll for pussy that's about it....
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:40 am

You troll for anus Mitchie Mitch. You goddamned bitch!
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:42 am

hickory-dickory-dock --- get over here and service my cock....look! we can both rhyme you ingrate fuck
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:44 am

You're hurting my feelings now, Mitchard.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:46 am

Also, how am I an ingrate? What am I supposed to be so goddamn grateful for?
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:46 am

dr scholls makes these pads for your taint. anyone else got a rough taint?
mines all fat and rashy.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 2:47 am

jesus christ.....dont you have better things to do than hang out on these threads and fuck with people? i mean jeez, get a fuckin life. you 'obviously' just registered your name, so im certain you're someone that's been on this board for awhile. give it a rest.

we get the joke....now move on.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®