Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:22 pm

Kids at a certain age can be so evil! I don't know whether to respect it (the pure unadulterated speaking of the mind) or the outright lack of manners (and the parents thinking it is adorable).

A somewhere between 2 & 3 yr old boy in the elevator, leaned over to me and literally hissed, "STOP." and then stared the Toddler Stare of Death, when I went past him in his mothers arms to hit my floor button. I made this faux "SHOCKED!" face and his mother basically giggled and said something lightweight to him. They walked out on their floor and he was whining some lame excuse to his mom about his behavior.

Ah. So nice to have no children.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:28 pm

I thought this thread was gonna be about Bratwurst, but then I realized this wasn't the food forum. I like bratwurst so much better than ill-mannered kids. I make sure that I stand extra-close to the microwave to ensure sterility
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:32 pm

I like knockwursts better than bratty kids or brats!

Ugh. This just reminded me of the approx. 375 lb man standing square in front of this disgusting platter of "Cheddar Dogs" and toothpicks at Zupans (fancy grocery) yesterday. He literally would not move from his spot and kept stabbing like three pieces of sweaty cheddar dog at a time on a pick. Oh my god. It was offensive and almost made me wanna skip dinner.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:39 pm

Kids aren't that bad. I don't think you should really be judging a 2 to 3 year old just yet. They are way too young to have any solid concept of right/wrong behavior - they're learning, for chrissake. Sure, the parent could be to blame. Be more judgemental of the 9 - 13 bracket, as they should know better but seem to feel the need to mouth off. 2 - 3 year olds need to be approached with patience to help them understand how certain behavior is acceptable or not. If you merely think (and treat) them as brats, they will continue to behave in the same fashion and adopt it into their worldview until they become ultimate losers that end up in streetkid shelters for bitter, child-haters to counsel. Nothing wrong with children. Something wrong with teens.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:48 pm

It's not that I don't like children, it's just that I feel so much better when they're not around.

Seriously, I don't hate kids at all. Some of my best friends are toddlers. It's just that these days, a lot of parents don't seem to raise kids in any way. It's as if they give birth and then let the kids go hogwild- and then it's the world's problem. And this trait seems to exist in every culture and socio-economic group in the US. Some parents just aren't trying at all.

I wish people wouldn't have kids unless they were committed to really taking an active role in seeing that they "grow up right," whatever that means. It's not fair to the kid and it's not fair to society at large. And folks have to understand that their own kids' antics are never as "cute" to strangers as they are to their own family.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:50 pm

anyone see wife swap last night?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:58 pm

While I agree and have a similar opinion on the requirements of being a parent, I think many of you who have brief encounters with seemingly bratty children and parents who think that behavior is cute, are being reactive. Sure, they could be shitty parents raising a shitty child - but how would you really know that if your sole encounter was a single elevator trip.

Like I said, young children are learning behavior. They have a different method of learning than an adult does. They learn at a different speed than an adult does. Just because a child does something you think is inappropriate in a public place, I think it's a huge mistake to expect a "responsible" parent to haul off and smack them/go into some long discourse of right/wrong/put them in an elevator time-out. That's just not realistic. If a child of that age is misbehaving, they are generally doing it because they are in a certain mood. Discipling a child is tricky business: the approach, timing and remedy depend greatly upon the child's current state and level of sophistication. You can't just tell a very tired child that they are talking too loud.

I know, I know, you don't really give a shit and fuck all the evil parents and their shitty offspring. All I can say is "walk a mile", fuckers.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:01 am

You're thinking right there, Hugh.
Fiery, I could talk about this for hours. I have kids. I like MY kids. I would say I don't like kids, but that's not true. I don't like THEIR PARENTS. I have long advocated giving expectant moms Dog Training books. And, I'm not kidding!
I make horrible ugly witch faces at them when they're acting out in public and their mom's are not looking. Usually they run behind mama's legs and won't tell what I'm doing. If they do I just look benign and sweet to the ma.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:07 am

I think it's a huge mistake to expect a "responsible" parent to haul off and smack them/go into some long discourse of right/wrong/put them in an elevator time-out. That's just not realistic. If a child of that age is misbehaving, they are generally doing it because they are in a certain mood.
Even when they're 2 or 3 you can silence their tantrums in an elevator by approaching it in the right way. Smacking isn't the right way. Reasoning with them isn't the right way.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:09 am

My parents whooped the tar outta me & I turned out GREAT! You gotta take some inititive with these spoiled youngins. Inititive with the back 'o my hand!

HEE=HAWW!

You should put 'em to work no later than age 8 as well. Learn 'em what it means to work I tell ya! Builds character.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:11 am

Like I said, the approach, timing and remedy differ depending upon the circumstance. I doubt I would attempt to correct my child's behavior in an elevator, other than arresting it, if possible; correction would come later. I just take offense at whining about "breeders" from people who can't possibly appreciate the responsibility of raising children - because they don't have any. Shut the fuck up. And, yes, I think most people I run into ARE horrible parents. I hope their children continue to bring down the curve and are unable to support their shitty parents. This topic just makes my blood boil.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:16 am

I just take offense at whining about "breeders" from people who can't possibly appreciate the responsibility of raising children -

I don't think fiery was throwing the "breeders" card, and I should know because I've had that thrown at me plenty of times before. THAT makes my blood boil.
Still, it's maddening (AS A REAL PARENT) to see the travesties that are wrought in the name of "raising" children. I've seen enough "moms" talking to the air (and, most importantly, their viewers) while pretending to talk to their child that it makes me crazy.
Don't talk to your kids like they were a science project, and they won't act up in the elevator.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:20 am

I just take offense at whining about "breeders" from people who can't possibly appreciate the responsibility of raising children - because they don't have any

I TOTALLY appreciate the responsibility of raising kids. It's the biggest responsibility there is. That's precisely why I choose not to have kids; I don't think I could handle that responsibility. The problem is, it seems that the bulk of parents out there can't handle it, either.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:22 am

Right on!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:25 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

I think it's hilarious when a child of 2-3 yrs old rolls up in front of a family restaurant, while a beautifully dressed African-American family, on a Sunday morning, walks in; then the said child (without any prompting or "training" by the parent) points out the open car door window, and yells "MONKEES!!!". Hillarious, unless it is my child. Which it was...
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:26 am

The problem is, it seems that the bulk of parents out there can't handle it, either.

My point, which somehow has been misplaced by my spleen, is that I don't think you can accurately judge the parent/child in the elevator due to not having sufficient evidence. My tangent on that was that I think a lot of people complain about bratty kids/poor parenting based upon brief encounters. I think you need to see the whole picture first and understand that one incident of misbehavior doesn't mean the kid'll end up in juvey and pregnant. Discipline and teaching of right/wrong/acceptable occurs all the time and in different ways. At the same time, I do judge other people's parenting skills and find them horrific, but this is based on an extended exposure and generally leads to thoughts about how I would never want my kids to play with theirs.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:27 am

One time we were in the movie line...John (eldest) was about six. He announced to his little friend, very loudy, "YOU KNOW WE"RE NOT SUPPOSED TO PLAY WITH OUR PENISES, RIGHT?"
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:30 am

I don't think you can accurately judge the parent/child in the elevator due to not having sufficient evidence.

I willingly concede that, sir/madam. Even the best-behaved kid is gonna have a bad day.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:34 am

One time we were in the movie line...John (eldest) was about six. He announced to his little friend, very loudy, "YOU KNOW WE"RE NOT SUPPOSED TO PLAY WITH OUR PENISES, RIGHT?"

How could I hate kids when they say cool stuff like that? I'm gonna use that bit myself the next time I'm waiting in line somewhere. That is gold!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:35 am

I disagree, Troll. I can size up the parenting that's going on in a New York minute. It's not that I'm SUPERIOR in my parenting...it's just that, well, you can just tell when something's wrong.
It's not poor parenting for a kind to act up in an elevator...it's just the kid. And kids do all sorts of things all the time. They're kids! It's poor parenting to look like "ain't they cute" or afraid of their offspring's disapproval if they intervene in bad behavior. It's also poor parenting to be aware of how they look disciplining said kid in elevator. It's also horrible parenting to smack them. Also, back to the dog book thing...you can't wait to tell them it's unacceptable...you have to do it in the then and now. Otherwise, you're just a meany who holds grudges.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:40 am | Edited by: The Troll

Aaah, but you have children. Fiery does not. She extolls in the joys of not. Those are the judgemental sorts my gripe is with. You have the experience and capability of judging the situation accurately.

There's nothing wrong with pulling your child aside (out of view of others), once off the elevator and then telling them what they did was bad, all the more emphasized by the fact that you are no longer going wherever the hell you were going before your brat pushed six buttons or yelled out "Dirty Hippy!" Also, I only smack my dog.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:44 am

How could I hate kids when they say cool stuff like that? I'm gonna use that bit myself the next time I'm waiting in line somewhere. That is gold!

The second biggest fit John ever had in public was when we were at the zoo. He kept saying "I want clouds down here." He was about 3. He got more and more insistent, saying, "I WANT CLOUDS DOWN HERE!!!" And crying and lying in the path and screaming. I was going, "Okay, honey....yeah, aren't those clouds pretty???" Like a dumbass. And then got mad cuz he was screaming. I FINALLY figured out that he wanted cotton candy. "Clouds down here." After I already had yanked him up and given him the what for.
Point...kids have a very basic language. Learn to figure out what they're saying and that's half the battle. A LOT of parents I see just talk to the air, and don't bother. John's "clouds down here" was a very good chapter in the parenting book for me.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:45 am

Where's my belt?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:45 am

The second biggest fit John ever had in public was when we were at the zoo. He kept saying "I want clouds down here."

Sorry, not as good as the penis thing.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:46 am

There's nothing wrong with pulling your child aside (out of view of others), once off the elevator and then telling them what they did was bad,

Hell, yeah. As long as it's done in a timely manner.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:47 am

Dirty Hippy, penis-toucher!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:49 am

Aw, he's a good kid. Snappy dresser, too.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 1:51 am

I did not intend for any defensiveness to come from parents by my post. I know how you feel about kids for the most part (The Troll) and, in spite of my callous words, I love kids. Really do. In fact, I love kids EVEN and ESPECIALLY teenagers. I have spent the last 10 years of my life working with some of the most destroyed teenagers and preteens...who were also sources of some of the best, funniest and most loving moments of my life.

If you read my original post, I was pretty honest about my conflicted attitudes regarding his bratty (seriously--even though that behavior can be normal for a toddler, it is annoying and bratty, esp. to someone who doesn't have kids) brattitude. On one hand, I thought it was kind of funny that he has no self-restrictions and on the other, I was stunned. But more stunned at his mother just doing nothing at all about it. Nothing.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 1:56 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Aaah, but you have children. Fiery does not. She extolls in the joys of not. Those are the judgemental sorts my gripe is with.

Don't you think this is kind of a resentful reaction? What is wrong with NOT having kids? And enjoying not having them? Sure, there are times when it seems like we might be missing something without children, but when we really consider it, parenting isn't our thing. I think that is something parents could respect instead of grousing and getting rabid everytime someone tows a line other than "Parenting is absolutely the pinnacle of life!"

I am very glad some people are parents. I am very sad some people are parents. I am very glad I am not a parent. Seems pretty harmonious and responsible, right? Am I missing something?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:04 am

Not missing a thing. Like I said, I love MY kids, but it's kind of funny...I NEVER thought I'd have kids, and now I have three.
There's nothing wrong with pointing out a bratty kid, even if you don't have kids. Like I say, I make witch faces at the lil brats I see on the outside...and I'm a mother!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:15 am

All I'm sayin is...Children can be a fantastic sort of income. There's all sorts of jobs for kids too. They can dig ditches,wash cars,pick up trash, mow lawns,wash dishes etc,etc. And it keeps 'em from getting bored too. It's a good 'focus' excercise. I drop 'em off at the job and go chill out at a movie or at the bar or somethin. By the time they clock out, they've made enough for me to go enjoy myself the next day. What the fuck do they think they're here for? Video games & nachos? Any bitchin & there gonna be pullin a double!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:16 am

I never said there was anything wrong with not having kids, nor did I imply that "Parenting is absolutely the pinnacle of life". What I meant by "Aaah, but you have children. Fiery does not. She extolls in the joys of not. Those are the judgemental sorts my gripe is with." is that I did not appreciate the facetious tone of your thread starter. You've done this in another thread (though I couldn't seem to find it) by exuberantly claiming how happy you are not to have kids (which is fine) but the tone of these jubilations was always, seemingly in the context of the sentence, belying some judgement on those that do choose to be "breeders". So, it appears that we both are inferring some hidden agenda in the other's statements.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:17 am

I NEVER thought I'd have kids, and now I have three.

As my grandma says, "Oy gevalt!"
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:21 am

BACK TO WORK KIDS!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:22 am | Edited by: Alisa

Does that mean "Fuckin A"?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:26 am

Does that mean "Fuckin A"?

It's the Yiddish equivalent of "Omigod", "Ouch", "Holy shit", or "That's gotta hurt!"
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:34 am

It's english for :
YOU KIDS BETTER MEET THE QUOTA OR YER GOIN TO BED WITH NO DINNER...AGAIN!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:44 am

Troll, you are paranoid! I really can and should be as facecious as I want on this silly board. You are also picking and choosing stuff I have said in the past about not having kids and being pretty hyperbolic in your use of the word "exuberantly."

It is a long discussion, but you don't even know the entire story. I have not referred to any parents as "breeders" but I have obviously had parents take offense to me choosing not to and enjoying not having my own kids. Thankfully they have been few and far between.

If you can remember, the first time I talked about this I mentioned how upsetting and invasive it was to have women and men through the years, who don't even know what they are saying to me, put me over the burner about when I am getting pregnant and why not and blah blah blah. This would be akin to me coming up to a pregnant woman and saying, "GREAT. More kids? JESUS!"
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:24 am

You can't do that?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:28 am

You could! I never would (you know, cos it is rude as fuck, just like people grilling me for choosing to not have kids)!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:32 am

It's the Yiddish equivalent of "Omigod", "Ouch", "Holy shit", or "That's gotta hurt!"
Yup, better believe it, fuckin A!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:36 am

Do you ever just stare at them in moments of high frustration and say, "FUCKIN' A!!!!!"

Your kids are cute as punch.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:47 am

I can't wait to say that! ha-ha....
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 4:19 am

"This would be akin to me coming up to a pregnant woman and saying, "GREAT. More kids? JESUS!""

when i was a kid, and my folks told me how babies were made, I used to walk up to pregnant women and say "I know what's inside you and how it got there!"
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:20 am

Years ago, before having any kids, I remember getting treated shitty by aquiantances/family friends/cousins who had hurried up and had kids and got "real jobs". I guess these people, (who were around my age or a little younger,) figured that their maturity level was beyond showing "non-breeders" (like myself) elemental common courtesy. Now I'm a parent and occasionally catch some 'tude from the "fuck breeders" types. It's all annoyingly comical.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:47 pm

I guess that "annoyingly comical" is my stance. I am far beyond the "breeder"/'non-breeder" distinctions. It is a wee bit more complex than that! One more thing though, kids are forever pretty damn interesting where their parents, uh, not neccessarily.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 5:43 pm

As the mommy of a 20 month old, I have to say it is hard to predict how a toddler will react in any given situation. However, there do seem to be a lot of parents these days that don't bother to teach their kids any manners or to treat adults- even strangers- with respect. Violet already knows how to say "please" and "thank you" because we TAUGHT her that. She may not say it every time, but we try to instill it in her by saying it to her every time we ask her for something. Lately, she's been "helping" and loves it- hands me dishes from the dishwasher, puts her toys and books away when I ask her- it's pretty cool. But this is not all the time. A lot of times she throws a tantrum when you say 'no' to her... which is perfectly normal for her age, just if we are at a store or something I have to take her outside.
Of course I also think a lot of people have kids for the wrong reasons (as accessories), pawn them off on daycare for 45 hours a week and Barney for the other 5 they have to spend with them, then "don't understand" why their kid is acting up when out in public with them.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 5:45 pm

At what volume does Dana listen to records when Violet is around? Has she ever been to 'Slicks practice?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:06 pm

wendy c knows the score.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:07 pm

There are so many accessories/kids. I wonder if it has always been this way though? It just seems more crass becuase it is the era we are living in. There is definitely a different distinction with regards to manners and how to behave in public. Not that the toddler of yesterday in the elevator was that out of hand at all...but everyone knows what I am talking about. I have seen kids just absolutely throwing monster fits, trashing things in public and their parents just zoned out and ignoring it, when it is obviously disturbing other people.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:10 pm

Of course I also think a lot of people have kids for the wrong reasons (as accessories), pawn them off on daycare for 45 hours a week and Barney for the other 5 they have to spend with them, then "don't understand" why their kid is acting up when out in public with them.

You just described 99.99% of the caucasian parents in the Bay Area. The women have high-powered careers until they're 45 and then when they realize they're STILL unfulfilled, they spend tens of thousands to get pregnant ('cuz they're not very fertile anymore.) And then when they realize they don't really like having the kid around 24/7, they get a nanny so they can go to Kauai for a month without the kid.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:12 pm

in case you haven't noticed 99% of the world is assholes.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:12 pm

If you'd ever seen the inside of Tom's cellar, you'd know it's no place for a kid. Especially not a little monkey girl who likes to get into EVERYTHING-and quickly! Negative. (Love ya Tom but I think you'd agree with this assessment!)

Our record player is in the basement, but you can hear it throughout the house, if it is loud. We usually listen pretty quietly when she's in bed. If she's not in bed, we can't really go down there anyway so it's not an issue.

Our Dish network now has all of these XM Radio stations so we listen to that a lot, they have a lot of different eras- 50's, 60's, 70's - classic country. We listen to the 50's and 60's the most. It is usually surprisingly good.

But (not surprisingly) Violet really likes music, and she does like rock and roll, loves to dance and even 'sing.' She already has an impressive collection of percussive instruments. Although I have a sinking feeling she may have thrown away a bunch of her drumsticks! She likes to throw things away, and not just trash. I haven't been that vigilant in checking the bags lately, and I haven't seen the sticks for her latest drum in quite a while!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:21 pm

The 'accessories' comment was directly related to when I worked in a daycare center. I do think as a whole, this generation of American children have less manners and are less well behaved then generations past. But again, you have to blame the parents.

Also, I do work, we have an awesome sitter, I generally wish I could spend more time with my punkin; but there are times when "THANK GOD ELMO IS ON!" - In other words, she does watch more TV than I'd really like her to, but you have to be able to make dinner (or burn one!) sometime, and at those times, Sesame Street is a good thing. I do monitor what she watches and have the sitter on the same page- there is a short list of shows/channels she watches. Half the time, she does something else while the TV is on anyway... like read her books or play with her toys...
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:31 pm

as a caucasian Bay Area parent of three who knows about 50 other Bay
Area caucasian parents, I think I can safely speak for all of them when I say, "Dear Hugh, you are a generalizing bozo who knows not of what you speak. Try, if you can, to temper your stereotyping with just a touch of reality, even if that does inconvenience your facile black and white overstatements. Cheers."
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:31 pm

i love having kids. it's totally punk rock.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:45 pm

the weirdest thing to me is how kids today have NO bedtime. I see little kids -- babies, toddlers, and under-10 schoolkids -- at the grocery store, the library, coffee shops, everywhere at all hours of the night, even on school nights. how can kids get up in the AM if they don't get enough sleep? and how can parents deal with not having a structured bedtime? I feel for the single parents, who work all day and have to drag the kids around on errands etc but it's really bad here...
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Yeah, I digressed. I am trying to make sure my kid isn't a brat. Of course to me she is so AWESOME I could pretty much talk about her all day. I have to go do some work now. THanks for putting up with my bragging about our brilliant child..........hahaha .... I will try to keep her from yelling at you!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:48 pm

My friends that are parents are thankful I DON'T have kids because I am the only one still entertained with that story they have already told them 18 thousand times or I have the energy to occupy them while Mom and dad talk to the other adults or helps get dinner on the table! But my friends with kids also are generally on it with discipline and monitoring their kids behavior. I can't think of anyone I know who is raising their kid in a way I see as an accessory etc.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:49 pm

Oh my god! The no bedtime! What is that? New Parenting? I had easygoing parents but I was in that bed by 9AM when I was under 10 on a schoolnight.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:52 pm

Stop, Stop, STOP this incessant generalization about parents and the state of parenthood and children today. If you ain't a parent, fuck off and keep your blanket statements and minute observations to yourself. I could make some stupid generalization about African Americans or Chinese or Women or whatever, but I don't. I try to understand that I may not be seeing the entire situation. I understand that, yes, there may be circumstances surrounding an event. If you are a parent, you know why you don't always stop bad behavior on the spot in public. You know why you have your kids up past normal bed times. You know, they don't. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, stereotype away, fuckers. I hope any child I have grows up to toilet paper your house and impregnate your cats!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:57 pm

At least we give a shit and are asking questions and wondering about kids. You don't have to BE a parent to care about kids. Thank fucking god for that. That is a generalization that I cannot stand: That if you aren't a parent, then you have no rights to even discuss, complain about, laugh about, admire or basically have anything to do with children. Please.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:05 pm

FUCK, I don't want to have kids, and don't claim to KNOW anything about parenting, but I am extremely fucking tired of people acting like I'm a fucking idiot because I don't want to have kids. The fact that I don't want to have kids does NOT mean I'm questioning the morals/values/skills WHATEVER of any fucking PARENT. I love my parents and I think they did a crappy job.

So fuck off.

I had some guy I work with (parent of three) ask me when I was having one, and when I said I wasn't his response was "Oh, is there a medical reason?" and I said "No, just not my thing" and he got PISSED! He lectured me for about 10 minutes. LECTURED! About my age and how I didn't have much time left!

I think you're a bad fucking parent if have that reaction.

A MEDICAL REASON, for fuck's sake!

YEAH! My husband had a vasectomy so we wouldn't have to worry about it. How's THAT for medical?

And I love kids! So fuck off!

FUCK!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:05 pm

Sure, keep swinging with the breeze and not even read what I'm saying. Keep emphasizing that it's all the parents fault for why you think, in the brief encounters that you have, the children are fucked up. No, don't bother to try and use that noggin of yours to see if maybe, just maybe, there are ulterior circumstances surrounding the encounter and that, maybe, just maybe, the bitch in the elevator with the annoying child isn't possibly dealing with something more than bad behavior, or maybe, just maybe the woman at 9PM in the supermarket is getting some pain reliever for the child that is sick and can't sleep right. I don't know. You seem to have some serious child bearing issues that you (seems to me) let color your statements about parenting. I'm sick of people who make blanket statements with no factual proof about poor parenting and state of children today who have little experience and then, when you call them on it, get shitty and claim you are high and mighty.

No, I don't think you have to be a kettle to call a kettle, but you have to try and understand the fucking thing.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:08 pm

HAHAHAHA!!! Nick got his balls sliced! Bummer, dude.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:08 pm

HAHAHAHA!!! Nick got his balls sliced! Bummer, dude.

Dude... I just can't take this thread anymore. And I can't stop reading it!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Dude... I just can't take this thread anymore. And I can't stop reading it!

Yeah, I swore last night wasn't going to say boo, and almost made it too. Should've drunk that six pack quicker, let the kid out from under the stairs and stopped kicking the dog.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:12 pm

how can she understand the "fucking thing," when she attacks a 2 year old for making a "lame excuse" to his mom. A 2 year old! A lame excuse! How dare he?! Her complete failure to understand anything other than her own teeny weeny inconvenience is right there in the first post.

Signed,

The Highest and the Mightiest
aka- the defensive parent who will soon ruin his babies
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:16 pm

A friend of mine has a two-year-old who has recently learned that he gets in trouble for hitting. So, when he's mad at one of them he immediately runs to the other one and says "Daddy/Mommy hit me" because he thinks he's getting them in trouble... Pretty funny stuff.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Yeah, see, it's probably the parents fault. They're confusing the bastard.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:19 pm

You seem to have some serious child bearing issues that you (seems to me) let color your statements about parenting.

Asshole comment. Really.

You aren't reading what we're saying for that matter!

I may spend spend more time around children in a day than you do. I work in a pediatric clinic. I work with kids who are newborns, infants, toddlers, hyper 7 year olds, awkward preteens, teens...whoever comes in and needs us. Kids who have shitty parents. Kids who have awesome parents. Kids with cancerous tumors fucking up their eyes...So, whatever on no experience etc etc. It isn't like I am talking about dealing with exotic snakes here. You are ranting and raving at this point and honestly I think you'd just rather do that. To me, it looks as if you are defensive about nonparents having any opinion about children and parenting and really, that is unrealistic.

And lula pee--right there with you. This has happened more times than I could count and by women and men of all ages. The worst part is when they get that condescending sad look and say, "Well...you can ALWAYS ADOPT! There are so many kids out there."
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:21 pm

Asshole comment. Really.

Yeah, I think it was my parents fault. I was a latchkey kid, after all.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:23 pm

READ THE POST. It was facetious (hello. look at this board. ) language. "Attacking" ( Now, this is hilarious) the 2 year old was never an issue.

Get a sense of humor about children. About talking about them! It (the infamous Incident in the Elevator) was FUNNY. I commented on how I was torn between being kinda entraced about his inability to censorship himself and his annoying (yeah, whining is annoying whether you are 2 or 42) whining.

Jesus lawd!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:24 pm

Troll. Get over it.

Not all parents get this sanctimonious.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:25 pm

Oh, by the way! I'm leaving to go to a two hour learning lecture on how to interview children who have been raped by their PARENTS! Yeah. A real life story. Sure looks like I am not trying to understand children.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:27 pm

It's about propagating a stereotype in a irresponsible fashion.

Kids at a certain age can be so evil!

and the parents thinking it is adorable

and his mother basically giggled and said something lightweight to him

Ah. So nice to have no children.

Whatever
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:28 pm

You could just disable the whole thread if you're finally tired of debate.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:31 pm

It is nice to not have kids. How is that irresponsible? I am not trying to sway anyone. It is great sometimes to have kids. According to other people. I don't try to change their minds.

So, basically be facetious and wacky and rock n roll and "punk as fuck" on this domesticated message board, UNLESS you are talking about (1) Parents and (2) Kids. Cos they are untouchable. Nothing funny. Nothing frustrating. Nothing annoying and weird. Nada. Never.

Sorry, I don't buy that.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:36 pm

Okay, whatever.

I'm sure, being the expert that you are, you are caring greatly for those poor damaged children at your work, of course, while talking food, how great Memphis is, etc with us Goners. I feel immensely grateful that people like you have the time to take care of our troubled youth. Please, keep us informed about raping parents and the like, I know I don't know anything about that topic.

Okay, off to nap time.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:36 pm

"Well...you can ALWAYS ADOPT! There are so many kids out there."

Yeah... I've just started telling stories about my dog. "You wouldn't believe what Griffin did yesterday, it was so CUTE!!"

and then I show pictures.

"He's doing so well at daycare! We ARE having a bit of a biting issue, but he's much less agressive with the other puppies in his group now."
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm

All this talk of bratty kids reminded me of this. I've never heard anything like this before. I would have spoken to my father one time like this and that would have been it. Honestly. He would have busted me teeth out or killed me.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7153152098207965240

What is going on out there today?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:56 pm | Edited by: johnny guitar

the other day i was in the library and this kid was scccreaming "Mommy, please don't beat me, Mommy please don't beat me," over and over and over again. the mom kept saying "ssshhh i'm not going to beat you." it was the funniest thing i've seen in awhile.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 8:09 pm

you don't know the meaning of punk rock until you're standing on a corner at 9 am with your three and a half year old daughter who starts belting out "blitzkreig bop" at the top of her lungs.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 8:41 pm

"Dear Hugh, you are a generalizing bozo who knows not of what you speak. Try, if you can, to temper your stereotyping with just a touch of reality, even if that does inconvenience your facile black and white overstatements. Cheers."

1. Message boards were created for over-generalizing.
2. I'm may have overestimated the percentage.
3. Bozo rules.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 8:46 pm

No, just not my thing" and he got PISSED! He lectured me for about 10 minutes. LECTURED! About my age and how I didn't have much time left!

How 'bout this one? "You don't want to have kids? Then why did you get married?" Nice.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 8:57 pm

"He's doing so well at daycare! We ARE having a bit of a biting issue, but he's much less agressive with the other puppies in his group now."

And he's licking other dogs' asses at a fifth-grade level!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 8:59 pm

"You don't want to have kids? Then why did you get married?"

Right, because true commitment requires childbirth to "seal the deal"!!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 9:00 pm

And he's licking other dogs' asses at a fifth-grade level!

HA! Now this thread is heading in the direction Fiery intended!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 9:10 pm

you don't know the meaning of punk rock until you're standing on a corner at 9 am with your three and a half year old daughter who starts belting out "blitzkreig bop" at the top of her lungs.

My two little boys are singing "we are the robots" all day long and I still don't know the meaning of kraut??
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 8:22 am

Haven't met a girl that was willing to have kids with me yet. I think they just got tired of my bullshit! ha-ha... some of us know we are not suppossed to breed. THE END OF THE LINE STARTS WITH ME!
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 9:33 pm

kids today have NO bedtime

Violet has a bedtime. There is flexibility, but she NEEDS her sleep, she is growing. If we have company, or the night we had a party in Dec., she can stay up later- sometimes on weekend nights. But some of my friends are like "She goes to bed at 7:30???" ...like I'm being cruel or something but she literally needs 11-12 hours of sleep, so yes, she goes to bed early! Lately it's been more between 8 & 8:30- it seems like her sleeping patterns change every couple of months.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Wow, I just read the string again to see what's changed in the past few days. I do think people without kids can care about them, I know I did. I also respect a decision not to procreate, hey better not to have them than to fuck them up... I do think there are a lot more rude kids these days but I also see the point that the incident that started this string was pretty minor. It's not like the kid kicked you in the shin or anything. But I also remember resenting people with kids at times before I had one... I'm on the fence... I am trying to raise a good, happy, healthy kid. My one friend, apparently her son at VIolet's age was running around going "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!!!" because they didn't stop cussing around him. This is a good thing to avoid-- that would likely be very embarassing at the grocery store. I think folks (myself included) do tend to generalize, but also to get a little over emotional on this board! I am just trying to have some fun and kill some time at work...
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 2:23 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

I think I did more than a bit wrong by not exactly describing my thoughts around the "initial incident". I definitely didn't get as offended as some people may have assumed by my words. I was more thrown into a "questioning" state more than anything else. It was fascinating, really.

Shit. I was a hellion beyond belief. An awful little brat at times. My parents did the best they could (I guess). Tonight I am 38, at a hotel with my husband and about to eat a ton of fancy seafood and get really trashed. I taught two kids (3 and 7) how to take care of and feed our cats while we are gone and it was fun. I don't hate on children.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 2:24 am

I was never spanked. Period. I don't think it is neccessary, but then again, I have no kids, so who am I to talk?
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 3:24 am

I think I did more than a bit wrong by not exactly describing my thoughts
Fuck 'em, fiery. Some parents get offended easily, but it seems folks without kids can sometimes get offended more easily.
Example, awhile back some lady got arrested for duct-tapping an ornery kid to a wall. Back in the day, I would have been appalled, "How can they do this to a precious innocent?!?!?!" Now, well, I've had times where I've thought "You know, there's a logic to that..."
Anyway, you good peeps.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 3:29 am

And as far as spanking, brad, I can probably count on less fingers that I have the number of times I've spanked my boy. I don't like it. But, I don't buy all the psycho-babble about it, either. Perhaps a difference in upbringing and culture, but there are far worse things parents have done.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 10:24 am

let me spank em...." yeearhggg..come and get yer spankin..ye did wrong upon the poop deck..." fo real.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 11:09 pm

is this about brahts or brats?
i can fit 77 brahts up my butt but only a kid and a half!

i rule!
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Man one of my first clients was this mom in Memphis with NINE kids, no job, living in Oates Manor. She was my age at the time (28) and her kids ranged from 14-2 years. She had had them taken away because one of them (3 year old) was totally off the charts and she had never had help with her kids (tended to refuse it when people offered b/c she felt guilty)...one day this kid was going bananas and she hit him with a pipe. Yep, a PIPE. He didn't get hurt too badly, but all the kids were yanked, of course.

By the time I got with her, the three oldest were back with her. I had never met a more loving and mostly capable mom. The kids were really good for the most part. She took all her "parenting" classes and started getting respite care etc. Anyway, point is...I understood why this lady lost it and got that pipe out at that point in her life!
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm | Edited by: Bob Seger

I think the kids that get an ass whoopin every now and then, act waaay more polite and civil. They understand that the world dosen't revolve around them getting their stupid fucking toy or candy.

Kids who get their ass whooped every day is bullshit, that shit sucks!

But the kids who have NEVER experienced a down home ASS WHOOPIN, are little annoying fucking shit heads! Their parents are weak.
" BuT MOooomm I WAAAaanT AN EYYYyye-PoooooD! WHAAA WHAAAA!"

beat that little shits ass!!!!
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:40 pm

Once a kid is older than a year old, I think it's alright to hit them in the throat or the top of the head.
It's important to hit them in those two areas because if DCFS comes, there will be distinguishable marks.

There are over 6 billion people on Earth, that's more than enough you dirty breeders.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 11:26 pm

While we're on the topic, I'm expecting to see more of Da Brat in Memphis now that David Gest and her are hot and heavy. If David is still living in Mempho that is.

Caught smoochin' while out on the town this past Thursday:
- http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2817/dbdg16wn.jpg
- http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4664/dbdg21ab.jpg
- http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/971/dbdg31sj.jpg
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 11:35 pm

Oh good god. Is this for real? I though she was into the women's?
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 11:40 pm

that is beautiful. from Liza the Da Brat!

She might wallop him good, though!
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 12:05 am

Those photos were really taken this past Thursday late night while the couple was out on the town but so far that's about all the info that's on the web. I can't find any deets on the relationship. For a few more pics from Thursday just Google: Gest Brat.
Seeing those two in love really made my day.
This is a wonderful world we have here.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®