| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / so.....i met scottie diablo
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 8:26 pm

he's much shorter than i imagined
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 8:27 pm

was he good?
were you good?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 8:30 pm

well, he said "you're on my shit list april novak" then he tried to touch me and i walked away
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 9:14 pm

That's it? That's all that happened? After all those threads? How were the shows?

Were there any minivans or soccer-moms?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 9:21 pm

well, i did find out that he was lying about not being the willowz manager. the show was great. be your own PET were awesome........the willowz were kind of average. the drummer was really friendly, but the others weren't. they were nice enough to loan out their equipment though which is cool.

it just always freaks me out when i'm alot taller than boys........cuz i'm only 5'6"!
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 9:41 pm

short pieces of shit
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 9:54 pm

jay reatard arent you calling the kettle black?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 10:40 pm

so.....i've returned with a little research on one 'be your own pet'. i wanted to know what they were all about.

looks like they're on the fast track of becoming the corporate media/record industry darlings. they have a record due on XL Recordings (White Stripes label)? their family members are high power music managers? jeez, talk about being connected.

i saw some internet video of a live show they did in nashville. i must say, their performance was pretty luke warm. in a nutshell...Top 40 radio will love it.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 10:54 pm

anybody hip to The Novaks? I keep hearing a track by them on LSGS
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 10:55 pm

arent they a band on Get Hip or something?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:04 pm

scottie diablo is a good guy. i've known him since the vegas thunder days. he let me and brent and brent's huge dog roy crash on the floor of his tiny studio apartment for like a week without really even knowing us. he took us out all over l.a. and bought us drinks just about every night!

and he hooked us up with a great show in l.a. for our tour, with the husbands and the guilty hearts.

so what if the willows suck. scottie is a cool dude.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:11 pm

guys who say the kinds of things he's said to me are not cool dudes.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:14 pm

guys who say the kinds of things he's said to me are not cool dudes.

well....you've said some pretty shitty things about him too....too be fair

just go back to the old Willowz threads.

dont be a hypocrite
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:16 pm

not everything has been on this board
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:18 pm

what else has he said to you that's deemed negative, thats off the board?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:25 pm

just mainly empty threats. i'm not trying to say that i didn't say negative shit to him. i think he's lame and i'm sure he thinks i'm lame. end of story. but that whole thread is stupid now cuz we know that he's their manager. my friends were given his number with scottie diablo, manager written next to it.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:27 pm

hmmm. what did he threaten you with? do tell.....we're bored and want the dirty-dirt-dirt
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 11:35 pm

It was a pretty ugly thread if I recall, but didn't pay attention to it after a point because I have found Scottie to be beyond nice. I was literally stranded, alone in LA, knowing no one and he let me crash at his place for almost a week, organized an improptu birthday gathering for me at a strip club, complete with gifts, drinks and girlfriends (whom I got to hang out with the rest of time doing girl stuff like clothes shopping etc). He is a lot of fun, smart and likes basketball. So he's a Laker fan. No one is perfect.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 12:07 am

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&frien dID=553325

"Welcome to my word. So nice to meet you. Please have a seat."
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 12:12 am

i found this on the internet:

Be Your Own Pet should prepare their shields and get ready to answer some questions because guitarist Jonas Stein’s father manages, among others, Vince Neil of Motley Crue, or because bassist Nathan Vasquez’s father is a guitarist and composer, or because drummer Jamin Orrall’s father is a singer-songwriter, or, especially, because singer Jemina Abegg’s father is a noted music photographer.

wow...daddy made a phone call and the world is theirs for the taking. a nice warm 'struggled as a band' story.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 12:17 am

pot calling the kettle black? i'm 6'1'' with shoes on bitch
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 12:18 am

(cough) ....right buddy
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 3:26 am | Edited by: jenna

april, can you rig it so I get to meet nikki six??? i'm not kidding. i've got some words for the man.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 3:43 am

He's all fat & stuff now. Like me.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 7:07 am

cough on my 6'1" faggot. you think you know me.....
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 5:24 pm

yeah....you're a faggot that threatens girlfriends during a european tour and steals a pedal from the stage while someone is playing. now that spells desperate f-a-g-g-o-t.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 5:57 pm

hee hee hee
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 7:10 pm

yeah....you're a faggot that threatens girlfriends during a european tour and steals a pedal from the stage while someone is playing. now that spells desperate f-a-g-g-o-t.

i love some people actually think that you are jay, chad.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 7:19 pm

Chad's a faggot too!
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 7:21 pm

Yeah...why would anyone think that? They must be like totally un-hip losers, like OMG!
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 9:10 pm

mitch cumwad - mind your own fucking business
chad tard, you're not 6'1
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 9:30 pm

mitch cumwad - mind your own fucking business

sorry your boyfriend has such a small punk penis
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm

*yawn!*
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 10:04 pm

hee hee hee
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 11:04 pm

*yawn!*

pretty much describes your record label
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 11:33 pm | Edited by: alix

Oh the irony that you call Jay a faggot and wanna talk about his penis.

I know, who likes the Reatards, Knaughty Knights, Rat Traps, Final Solutions, Tokyo Electron, etc. ? I guess not the hundreds of people that buy their records.

What a bore!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:30 am

Chad, you're not 6'1" are you?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:49 am

BEST...THREAD...EVER!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 2:32 am

I guess not the hundreds of people that buy their records.

What a bore!

hundreds? that's it?

bigger and deeper yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 11:43 am

yeah 6'1" nigguh...at least i'm 6'1" with slip ons and a sock hat (according to the short nurse who checked my height at the dr. office) alix, does this mean we're dating?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:03 pm

The Shattered stuff I heard (pretty much everything) was all pretty impressive.

Even if Jay isn't well hung...
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:04 pm

...something I learnt today
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:30 pm

6.4 = makeout!!!!!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 4:19 pm

see, that's what we need around here. More Gary Wilson references.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:53 pm

wow...daddy made a phone call and the world is theirs for the taking. a nice warm 'struggled as a band' story.

They would be stupid not use family connections like those. I don't see the appeal of struggling and toiling in obscurity, but I suppose it's still a romanticized ideal.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:17 pm

They would be stupid not use family connections like those. I don't see the appeal of struggling and toiling in obscurity

but isnt toiling in obscurity the punk rock thing to do? people on this board are constantly ripping on bands that go from punk/garage to the mainstream. i've seen that time and time again. correct me if im wrong, but april n. has said on this message board that certain bands are corporate rock. then she praises be your own pet....who are nothing short of corporate. i dont get it. if you're true to your punk spririt, you wont cherry pick bands and give them a free pass. be your own pet is on the same record label as the White Stripes. yes, the White Stripes. now.....that's about as corporate as you can get.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:21 pm

i thought we liked bands for the way they SOUND
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:24 pm

i thought we liked bands for the way they SOUND

Yeah, like shit! I bet Be Your Own Pet don't sound like shit.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:25 pm

thats true.

here's an example:
why does everyone rip on the White Stripes?

i mean, most people on this message board LOVED this band when they came out....but now that theyre 'HUGE', people say theyre lame. why? because theyre 'corporate' now?

ok....now i'll patiently wait for someone to have a comeback of why the white stripes suck.......its so cliche on this board
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:30 pm

be your own pet are "music industry" connected kids. that affords them not having to have day jobs and give them the time necessary to perfect their punk rock outfits and record records with overpriced producers. thats how the industry works. it's called shopping mall packaged punk.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:36 pm | Edited by: april n

be your own pet started out pretty much the way that my band did......they made a cdr and then a label offered them a 7". they were actually a band for much longer than mine before anyone even offered to do that though. their "connections" are kinda blown out of proportion in articles. hey, more power to them if they don't have to get day jobs.......i wish i didn't have one. and yes, i do like the white stripes.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:41 pm

correct...but that CDR made its way to the right hands to make this all happen - per their connections. that's how it works.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:45 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

but isnt toiling in obscurity the punk rock thing to do?

I don't think that concerns many people any more. Besides, the idea of "whats punk rock is" is always changing, and has been since I've been around.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:49 pm

it made it into the right hands because they got a manager. anyone can do that. all of them except jemina have been playing in bands since they were like 12 or 13. i think it's awesome that they had xL offer to reissue their cdr on vinyl and had rough trade offer to do a single. i'm excited when any of my friends have records come out.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:53 pm

it made it into the right hands because they got a manager

you mean, the one kids dad who manages Vince Neil gave the CDR to a manager in New York? it's all about who you know.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:55 pm

but isnt toiling in obscurity the punk rock thing to do?

i personally think it's awesome if i meet someone and they've heard my band. it blows my mind that i can live in a shitty fucking town in the middle of nowhere and be able to go to a city 1000 miles away and see my band's 7" in a record store.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:56 pm

you mean, the one kids dad who manages Vince Neil gave the CDR to a manager in New York? it's all about who you know.

maybe that's how it happened........i have no idea. who the fuck cares though, really? have you not ever used someone you know to help you get a job?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:58 pm

my band got our first 2 7"es because of "who we knew"
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:59 pm

never.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 7:59 pm

i earned my way up the ladder here at Quiznos
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:04 pm

ok,
i'm an old punk so this is like second nature to me. it's not about the white stripes or the be your own pets music sucking or ruling. basically what it comes down to is how you feel about the community of music.

i don't want any connection to the world that takes what we really do passionately and uses it in a car commercial! i have made music that i consider underground for almost 20 years now. i believe in underground movement. i believe in a whole culture that says fuck you to corporate media, advertising firms,and all that other bullshit.

i want to be a part of a music community that won't sell out everything we've done at the drop of a hat. a community that supports it's own. the white stripes still write a good song here and there. that's not the issue. the issue is that they were once a part of our underground community and now they are a part of the corporate machine. for someone who lives in the underground movement, they went from "us" to "them". so why the fuck would i want to support them???

living off playing music is great. there's alot of great folks who do it. but you must know in your heart where your music fits in the cultural landscape. if you want to be in rolling stone and spin and played during basketball games, then get the fuck out of the underground right now. just be honest with yourself. if you're not an active part of the underground movement, then you're not really selling out when you try to make it. like the strokes or the shins. they're not sell outs. they just are corporate bands. they belong in car commercials.

but how would you feel if you heard jeffery evans in a volkswagon commercial? or dead moon?

now, which side of the cultural revoltion would you rather be on?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:08 pm

I'm soooooooo ready to SELL OUT!!! Please god! SELL ME OUT! I'm ready to whore my ass out to the big record company! whoo-hoo! Then I can get a girlfriend & a Ipod nano! Hotttt dawwggg!
I love commercials!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:13 pm

nice post joe. well put.

Joe, I know you didn't explicitly say you condone what Scottie does, or represents, but he's exactly the devil you point out in your verbose dialogue above. Scottie is the guy who puts those songs in the hands of advertisers. Scottie is the guy who whispers in the ear of those "connections" while doing coke at the party. While I don't know him personally, nor have I benefited from his couch/floor, I think what he does and the way he does it to be reprehensible and a very corporate approach to music. Plus, he's an asshole on this board.

so april....back to the subject at hand here: so this scottie diablo character was short?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:17 pm

now, which side of the cultural revoltion would you rather be on?

The fun side.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:23 pm

but dig this- scottie is part of that world. he's not part of the underground. someone has to find "hip" music for commercials. scottie is a hip dude. good for him. good for the willows. good for the whole fucking culture.

all i can do is choose my own rules. i don't give a fuck what scottie does. he's nice to me. jack white was nice to me the few times i met him as well. i'm not judging people. i'm just asking that people be honest to themselves and to me.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:30 pm

i'm just asking that people be honest to themselves and to me.

Well, I think this takes us back to one of those "WILLOWZ" threads, because this was where Scottie was not honest with those who asked him if he was the manager of the band, etc.. He rubbed me the wrong way with how he constantly denied his motivations for using ALLCAPS to promote a band which, for the most part, isn't in the Goner lexicon. He also got extremely defensive when asked to be more honest about his motivations, rationale for liking said band and was evasive about any other personal details. This didn't seem like behavior to me of someone who is honest with themselves, let alone others. Plus, he's an asshole on this board.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:34 pm

All right, my last comment on this guy. I guess what I really don't like about him is that he doesn't contribute jack to the "Goner Community", whatever that is. The only time he ever posts here is to promote one of his stable, or friends' stable. He might as well be hawking penis enlargement schemes or how to make money in my spare time. You spoke of belonging to a community and supporting it. Scottie does not belong and does not support this community.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:36 pm

"but how would you feel if you heard jeffery evans in a volkswagon commercial?"

I would LOVE to hear "the man who loved couch dancing" on national TV!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:39 pm

that's cool, man. i'm not asking you to befriend the guy. just don't ask me for his number if you need a floor to crash on when you're on tour.

easy as that.

he makes his decisions, i make mine, and you make yours.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:45 pm

you're right about that, troll. he shouldn't use the goner board to promote a band that is trying to "make it". then again, alot of people on this board don't have a problem with corporate music or bands trying to hit the big time. so if we're willing to accept it, what's the problem with someone offering it?

i don't even know anything about the willows. are they on sympathy?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 9:11 pm

is this scottie guy going to be a sxsw this year?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 9:15 pm

I am in love with this thread...
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 9:29 pm

they're on sympathy and contaminated?? does that mean alicia also has something to do with them?

who cares!!??
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 9:56 pm

so april....back to the subject at hand here: so this scottie diablo character was short?

yes. he came to my chin.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 9:58 pm

and i agree with the troll........i have no problem with scottie or be your own pet or jack white or whoever the fuck wants to deal with corporate shit.........just don't go onto a message board like this and pretend to not be a part of the system. more power to you if you're making money off music, but it's lame to pretend to be just a fan when it's really your job.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:00 pm

A few points--- I have been biting my tongue on this one, because for the most part, i dont give a shit about either of these bands, (ie: BYOP and the "new" led Zep, aka the White Stripes), for the most part, except i find some of these attitudes fucking annoying enough that I had to be annoying as well, take the bait, and chime in.

1) I have also known Scottie Diablo for almost ten years. Whether or not his taste sucks or is great, the fact is that YES, he is a "connections" kind of guy who tries to get bands on MTV, or whatever other contacts he has. Good for him, and good for the bands he hooks up. whether or not they suck. as joe says, you can choose to support those bands or not. its up to YOU. Scott is just one of "those" guys who makes it opssible for certain bands to make money. SOme of them you like, some you dont, whatever.

2) Coorporate bands vs. Sellouts : Name ONE band that has made it into a car commercial, INCLUDING once Goner DARLINGS the Clone Defects, that will tell you they had some moral hangup about making some cash for their music. I know that generally, we are talking about bullshit coorporate bands like the Strokes, (or other bands groomed for the "big time") , a band where it just makes me nausious (sp?) to even hear them be counted as part of a "real underground", when really they are really just a part of the the Little Stevie " underground garage" scene. But again, who really cares?

i know what Im into, and im fucking STOKED if the clone defects got PAID for their tunes--car commercial or not. I would never call them coorporate sellouts. As far as i understood, or knew them, they didn't exactly mold their image to get their tunes on a commerical. Chances are, and i know some of you know the details---i did at one time, but forgot , so please do correct me if im wrong, but there was prolly some vaguley hip dude that heard them, had the connect, and made it happen. Prolly like the Speedies or the Kinks in the photo commercial. You know what i mean.

ANyhow, my point is that i would be willing to bet some serious cash that anyone on this board, (except for joe danger, which i think he stated his points, probably the best of anyone on this board!), in a band offered lots of money for one of their songs to be in a comerical, you're gonna take the cash and run.

3)Anyhow, back to Scottie.....all I can say is that i knew him from a long way back, and he has always been the kind of dude that would hook up bands....much like April's little darlings, BE Your Own Pet. He is a stand up guy in that regard, so take it for what its worth. He's just a nice guy, with questionable taste, that does shit everyone condemns because it's not "punk" or "goner", but in the meantime, he'll lend equipment to bands he barely knows, let ya sleep on his floor, and i think even one year, he sent me a fruit cake or some shit for Christmas. I may be mistaken on that...

anyhow, all that being said, it is not cool to misrepresent one;s self in terms of promotion or management. It is Not cool to sorta budge into Goner and promote a band who apparantly, (ive never heard them), but from what all the "experts" say, is totally not "goner", or "punk", and he should expect some sort of shit for that. Much like other people who promote other bands that we have even spoken about DURING this thread!!! But when it all comes down to it, who fucking cares?

To be honest, there are plenty of people on the woooooooooorld wide interweb, even on this board, who really havent been around that long, spewing opinions that they really just dont have a clue about. The internet is the perfect place for people who have never really done much but preach on about what they "know".

Scott--he just is what he is. No one has to deal with him if ya don';t want to...unless ya "need" something.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:01 pm

the top of his head came to your chin?
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:06 pm

That's all eloquent and stuff, but the bottom line is that people don't like being lied to and they don't like being treated like they're dumb.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:08 pm

April's little darlings, BE Your Own Pet.

i wouldn't go that far.......they are friends of mine who my band has played with before.......

the top of his head came to your chin?

yes. i was a whole head taller than him........with my shoes that i was wearing that day i was probably around 5' 8". i have no problem with him being short.......it's just genetics. i just mentioned it cuz i thought it was funny that the dude who kept threatening to "douche my mouth" among other things was smaller than me.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:13 pm

height doesnt matter when it comes to douching mouths
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:15 pm

OK you fucking jagbags, maybe you don't remember this, but before Scottie posted about The Willowz and that music video thing, he was on here as regularly as anybody else was, just being a conversationalist. He never chimed in solely to promote, but I'm sure he figured it was safe because he had already been posting the same as you and me for quite a while. There are obvious street team type promoters that register every nowe and then but Scottie is not one of them. I don't know him well enough to defend him for personal reasons, but the fact is he was already here.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:15 pm

height doesnt matter when it comes to douching mouths

i guess you're right
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:18 pm | Edited by: april n

anybody got copies of his zine? i'm curious to read a zine called memphis creep put out by a guy from LA........
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:20 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

I remember reading an interview with Superchunk years ago where they talked about a song of theirs that was used in a British Knights shoe commercial. Originally, they refused to do it, but they were told that if they didn't let them use their song, they were gonna hire studio musicians to come up with a faux-Superchunk song and they'd use that song instead. That way, people would think they gave them a song when they didn't, and Superchunk wouldn't get anything out of it. So, they decided to do the commercial. The band got enough money from the deal to buy a new van for touring and also a bunch of free sneakers. I think I would've done the same thing.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:21 pm

Yeah, I'd love it if good bands were on the radio and actually got paid. I was just pissed at the guy because I KNEW (for a fact) that he was getting paid to promote the Willowz, and he came on here like he was a random fan. I'll never trust the fucker again, no matter how nice he is. The minute I called him on it he got whiskey-mean, too. He may seem nice on the surface, but he seems like rotten fruit to me.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:24 pm

he got whiskey-mean

nice adjective. i'm gonna mass produce some tshirts
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:24 pm

we got a contact list before we went out to LA last week and it said if we needed anything we could call (xxx) xxx-xxxx Scottie Diablo, Manger

i'm not really sure why he kept denying it.......maybe he got the job after he posted it on that thread........i kinda doubt it though
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:25 pm

Hey, did you hear Kobe Bryant scored 81 points last night?

Fuck the Lakers.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:26 pm

LARGE MARGE'S 2 CENTS

THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM, NOBODY SHOULD GET OFFENDED. IF YOU GET A JERK OFF SCOTTIE DIABLOW, IT IS JUST SOMETHING TO KEEP THE BOARD INTERESTING.

KIDS TRYING TO VALIDATE HOW COOL & PUNK & REAL THEY ARE...WELL THEY'RE WANKSTERS.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:26 pm

we got a contact list before we went out to LA last week and it said if we needed anything we could call (xxx) xxx-xxxx Scottie Diablo, Manger

i'm not really sure why he kept denying it.......maybe he got the job after he posted it on that thread........i kinda doubt it though

so.....what's your point? who cares. manager or no manager.....give it a rest. you seem extremely obsessed with this dude
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:31 pm

No offense, but you're wasting just as much "ink" on the guy as she is!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:32 pm

hahahahaha......true indeed.......good point
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:40 pm

I'm always here to help Caddyshack references.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:40 pm

Hey, did you hear Kobe Bryant scored 81 points last night?

YUSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - my best marv albert
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Goonga Galoonga - Goongala Goongala
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 11:20 pm

The world would RULE if King Louie ended up in/on a car commercial!!

The Willows are playing SXSW; I wonder if Scottie could help with that?

Eric! I'm on to something! Bring a press kit!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 11:45 pm

mitch cumstein is scottie diablo

get a life, dood.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 11:58 pm

This one time I passed Scottie in the hall and I was all "hey, what's up," and he pretended he didn't hear me and kept on walking.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:00 am

Bitch, that's because you wouldn't comp me a free cd. Duh!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:19 am

mitch cumstein is scottie diablo

are you high?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:20 am

Did someone mention a "coke party"? Please whisper the answer in my ear.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:29 am

god, i wish there were more andria lisle's in this world. .. . :)
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:20 am

i must admit this forum is about the funniest one i've ever read on the goner board!
first off- i would imagine the shortness would actually be good for mouth douching, but then i realized i had no idea why.

second off- kobe's 81 is like the second highest scorer in the history of the nba, only beat by chamberlin's 101. (i think)

third off- we're all pretty much the wierdos or freaks from our high schools or familys or whatever and that's why we listen to loud rock and roll and take drugs and look at a website called "goner". most of us couldn't sell out if we wanted to, cuz even though shit that's hip may almost look like something we do, we're fucking outsiders and all the rest of the world knows it. but that's also why it's righteous to support the community. cuz we're all freaks, but we got each other.

how stoked are you when you're on the road and you meet someone who likes great music, drinks as hard as you, smokes as much, and just generally feels familiar? those are our people.maybe those people have fucked up families and got beat up in school, too. those people are forced to stand up in what they believe in same as you.those people are considered "geeks" to this day for collecting records, or throwing down some obscure rock trivia at the bar. that's cool. that's a rock and roll family.

see you motherfuckers on the road.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:21 am

i just had some killer grass.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:33 am

here's the thing, brad- it's not bad. it's just a choice. that's just what that particular band chooses to do. but if they come to portland they ain't sleeping at my house, cuz fuck em, let volkswagen get em a room. and chances are very high that i won't be partying with them on someone's couch, or doing tequila shots with them in the kitchen. so if i'm not gonna ever meet them, or party with them, or play a random show in some random dive bar with them, then WHAT THE FUCK DO I CARE IF THEY DO A COMMERCIAL OR NOT?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:49 am

it's not bad.
i would turn it down, because i don't think i would like the hassle. but i thought a great job would be writing jingles.clock in, clock out. another "commercial sucess".
but fuck man, get your band in on the deal, then suddenly you have to deal with people calling you a sell out, throwin beer bottles at you, dude's won't let you crash on thier couch, have the lawer look over everything, sign a bunch of shit, file your taxes as a musician(can't collect unemployment when the hit don't hit)... basically, it's too much business for me.
i got into rock and roll to play guitar. i can't stand the rest of it. but that's just me.

for someone else, it might be perfect. my family can not understand why i would rather play a dive bar than a colluseum.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:50 am

I'm pretty sure no one here will ever get offered money for anything.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:51 am

All you fags acting like the a&r men are breakin' down your doors and shit.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:52 am

There's one on my porch right now.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:53 am

He smells like your pussy's dog.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:53 am

because I want them to have to be in the same room as me when they hear my song...I'll be all "You wanna hear my song come here" as I offer them my ipod and then as soon as they get close enough WHAM!!!!!!!!!! I punch em in the gut and take their wallet

Then I got all their money...nothing wrong with money...it's the best thing ever

Let the rcord show however that I never liked the White Stripes, not even when they were called the Flat Duo Jets

I also am 6'8"...at least when I am lying down on my back
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:54 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

He smells like your pussy's dog.

You mean pastlames "lady?"
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:55 am

There's one on my porch right now.

I'm pretty sure that's Kemp Boyd.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:56 am

I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. At least I'm in good company!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:59 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Joe, I got a memory for ya:

A little company called Jingles 2000 employed a young man and his friend who wrote a rasta-influenced bug spray jingle that went a-little somethin' like this:

"Take Care of Da Roach!"

Name that now wildly famous actor!!! (Hint: Some members of his race may even call him a sell out!)
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:01 am

Nipsey Russel? Claude Akins? Marmaduke? WHO, goddamnit????
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:05 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

This was a show on the UPN Network (or was it the WB?)--not reality.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:10 am

Seriously, come on, it's like I'm on the edge of a cliff or something, just all hanging there. WHO????
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:11 am

Joe, get the fuck over here and answer this question!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:14 am | Edited by: Mark Beef

ray charles, bitch

I mean Jamie Foxx
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:14 am

You will have to wait until I know he has had a chance to see it. Ninety to nothin', Joe is practicing right now.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:15 am

I know you guys probably don't know this, but Ray was blind. A rare bit of music trivia for alla ya. I'm outta here.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:26 am

I, for one, would think it would be great to hear something like Dead Moon in a TV commercial. Sometimes placement in a commercial generates more interest in a band that a bunch of airplay on the Underground Garage does. I just people would listen to more good music anymore. A selection of the White Stripes or the Detroit Cobras on the neighborhood bar's jukebox is a lot better than Puddle Of Mudd or Nickelback.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:27 am

Oh...And I heard the Willowz record. I didn't like it.

My new band sounds more like Jesus and Mary Chain or Sonic Youth than it does "garage rock" though...so what do I know
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:31 am

fuck you dale

puddle of mudd and nickelback is what I enjoy listening to while screaming profanities at local retards for their poor decision making when at the jukebox
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:33 am

What about great Greg Cartwright? Right now I'd say his "career" is going better than the Willowz could ever dream of attaining. He's playing a lot of packed houses with his own band and he's playing with "hipster media darlings", the Detroit Cobras, who had a song (a cover, no less) in a beer commercial. Oh no!

Plus, he "went soft" in some garage/punk/underground purists' eyes. But no one 'round here seems to be calling him a sellout. He seems to be the guy that almost every Goner universally admires and adores and rightfully so. But what if he is somehow able to get even bigger and he winds up playing large theaters, then arenas, then stadiums?

I mean, face facts. If the wind blows right one day, there's no reason why Greg can't get as famous as Ryan Adams or even (yuck) John Mayer. Lord knows Greg O's song-quality batting average is light years ahead of Adams'. Plus, he could be pretty accessible to a lot of people. I can see him getting very popular if the "right people" get wind of him somehow. In the great scheme of things, Greg Cartwright on the cover of Rolling Stone and playing on SNL and Conan O' Brien makes more sense than the White Stripes (who I also love) doing it.

If Greg gets huge, are Goners gonna resent him, too? The dude is playing the music he likes, and as long as he doesn't pull some false move like doing a Diane Warren power ballad (hello, Aerosmith and Cheap Trick), why is it wrong for him to profit from his music on a grand scale? The whole argument makes no sense to me.

That being said, any "industry type" that comes on here in the guise of a fan is a total fuckstick.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:32 am

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH GREG CARTWRIGHT SELLING OUT!!! or eric. or jack. but the world would be a different place if eric said "fuck you" to all of this and went on a colluseum tour and no more goner page (maybe rupert murdock could keep it rollin'), maybe little steven could take over gonerfest (or maybe eric himself would have the money to "do it right" like on beale street or something)-

my point is this- there's nothing wrong with selling out, but being underground is who we are.the very concept of what this board is based on is "garage rock". when it's on the cover of rolling stone, it's not garage rock, no matter what it sounds like.

more power to those who make it. i hope some day good people and good music rule the world. but until they do, i'll be rocking some basement or dive bar somewhere.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:35 am

JOE! Look at my last posts! Who was the Jingles 2000 guy? Let the world know who the real "sell out" is!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:36 am

Mark Beef, you RULE!!!!!

Did you see this hialrious episode as well? or did Google help out? Be honest!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:37 am

I saw it...Fancy was a fine looking woman
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:42 am

Did someone mention a "coke party"? Please whisper the answer in my ear.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:43 am

jamie foxx is decidedly not funny. the tiger woods of "urban entertainment".
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:45 am

i wish i was practicing! i couldn't round up a band tonight!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:00 am

if any current band gets a song in a british knights commercial they will not be a sell out.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:04 am

so i guess what i'm starting to sort of piece together through all of this is that some people see garage rock as a sound and other people see garage rock as a lifestyle.

with punk it seemed easy (to me, at least) because if you were punk you lived by your "punk rock code" every day, all the time. but our thing doesn't have that (for lack of better word) ethical mindset. garage rock can be anything from dead moon to little steven. it can be joe silverking in a basement or the white stripes at superbowl halftime. so i guess if our "movement" is defined by nothing but the sound of the music, then there's no such thing as selling out. as long as it sounds like garage rock, it doesn't matter if it's king louie or the strokes.

hm, that seems a little wack to me. there must be more to it then just the sound.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:15 am

Did someone mention a "coke party"?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:23 am

hey sarah jessica parker- i don't have any coke but i have some weed that smells like mangos that'll make jerry reed sound like jimi hendrix!!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:25 am

Will there be apple martini's there as well?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:26 am

i have about a quarter of a bottle of triple sec...
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:27 am

dark skies vodka perhaps?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:31 am

Uh... HELLO! I think you need Vermuthe to mark a martini Mr. Danger. I am totally unaware of a "dark skies" vodka Mr. Stein.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:31 am

don't fuck with my game, mitch! i'm about one post away from getting sarah jessica parker in the sack!!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:32 am

don't fuck with my game, mitch! i'm about one post away from getting sarah jessica parker in the sack!!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:38 am

eewwwwwwwwww..... I think I'm a little out of your league Mr. Danger. I mean, do you even have a tab at Pravda or a personal assistant? Call me when you at least have your own driver.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:42 am

listen babe, come over, we'll smoke some grass, drink some beers, put on some marvin, and just hang out.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:45 am

i've got some freddy jackson and teddy pendergrass records at my pad....
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:50 am

What the fuck is you guys fixation on grass? Smoking grass,pendergrass... Whatever...Apple martini's with a tab at Pravda. Send a car over & I'll meet you there. I don't just "come over to your 'pad'". Jeeze...Better hurry, I think they close at 2am on Mondays.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:53 am

how about some gg allin?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:54 am

Is that a vodka?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:54 am

we're stoners....is that a problem?

ok-ok.....nix the teddy pendergrass and i'll put on some Hawkwind records...lets take some bong rips baby....its all cool
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:01 am

Oooooohhh! I got it! You guys are JUNKIES! ha-ha..that's ok. Just don't nod out at Pravda when it's time for you to sign the tab cause if you want me to 'hang out' it's on your dime Pendergrasses, not mine. When should I expect the car?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:04 am

i'm too stoned to find my cordless phone...sorry...i'm off to bed
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:06 am

Phones have cords?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:05 am

here's the thing, brad- it's not bad. it's just a choice. that's just what that particular band chooses to do. but if they come to portland they ain't sleeping at my house, cuz fuck em, let volkswagen get em a room. and chances are very high that i won't be partying with them on someone's couch, or doing tequila shots with them in the kitchen. so if i'm not gonna ever meet them, or party with them, or play a random show in some random dive bar with them, then WHAT THE FUCK DO I CARE IF THEY DO A COMMERCIAL OR NOT?

yeah!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:07 am

uh, the above comment was me, and not levon (although I'm sure he feels the same way about drinking in your kitchen, Joe).
-Megan
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:13 am

What about great Greg Cartwright? Right now I'd say his "career" is going better than the Willowz could ever dream of attaining. He's playing a lot of packed houses with his own band and he's playing with "hipster media darlings", the Detroit Cobras, who had a song (a cover, no less) in a beer commercial. Oh no!

Plus, he "went soft" in some garage/punk/underground purists' eyes. But no one 'round here seems to be calling him a sellout. He seems to be the guy that almost every Goner universally admires and adores and rightfully so. But what if he is somehow able to get even bigger and he winds up playing large theaters, then arenas, then stadiums?

I mean, face facts. If the wind blows right one day, there's no reason why Greg can't get as famous as Ryan Adams or even (yuck) John Mayer. Lord knows Greg O's song-quality batting average is light years ahead of Adams'. Plus, he could be pretty accessible to a lot of people. I can see him getting very popular if the "right people" get wind of him somehow. In the great scheme of things, Greg Cartwright on the cover of Rolling Stone and playing on SNL and Conan O' Brien makes more sense than the White Stripes (who I also love) doing it.

If Greg gets huge, are Goners gonna resent him, too? The dude is playing the music he likes, and as long as he doesn't pull some false move like doing a Diane Warren power ballad (hello, Aerosmith and Cheap Trick), why is it wrong for him to profit from his music on a grand scale? The whole argument makes no sense to me.

That being said, any "industry type" that comes on here in the guise of a fan is a total fuckstick.

THE WHITE STRIPES is THE ROLLING STONES
as
GREG CARTWRIGHT is HOWLIN WOLF
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:13 am

BIG DIFF!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 8:26 am

I didnt read past the fisrt 12-15 post... already I can tell you that I dont like anything.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 8:29 am

Except apple martinis.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 9:20 am

fuck you dale

puddle of mudd and nickelback is what I enjoy listening to while screaming profanities at local retards for their poor decision making when at the jukebox

True...but does you local favorite atering hole have every KID ROCK CD on it's jukebox as well.

I'd rather most people shoot themselves in the face personally.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:11 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not making money off music that makes you a sell out.
Do I think Greg Cartwright would leave his wife and date Rene Zellwiger? No.
Do I think Greg Cartwright deserves to make White Stripes money? Yes.
Do I think people turned on Nirvana or would turn on Reigning Sound like they turned on the White Stripes? No.
Reason? Kurt didn't dress up like Michael Jackson. Neither would Greg. We wouldn't come to a realization that everything they did (red and white clothes, etc.) were all just gimmicks to be rock stars some day. There's sell outs and then there's success stories...
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:16 pm

Although, I'm not sure Nirvana is a good example of a success story the way it ended up... Whatever...
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:59 pm | Edited by: TheMalevolentOne

you lived by your "punk rock code" every day, all the time.

And for some of it was about getting kicks, meeting chicks, hanging out with other weirdos, and a cool soundtrack for skateboarding. Many of us said "no thanks" to codefied lifestyle back then, and still do.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:33 pm

jamie foxx is decidedly not funny. the tiger woods of "urban entertainment".

JOE! You laughed for days at "Take care of da roach!" And this was years before you regularly smoked weed.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Shit. We ALL deserve (whatever that means) to make "White Stripes money"!!!!!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:40 pm

Did someone mention a "coke party"?
hookorcrook
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:07 pm

the Rock n Roll Adventure Kids did a toyota commercial (I think it was toyota? some minivan, i never got to see it) which they were actually in, hopefully that's future YouTube material. Worked out pretty well for them, got a couple thousand dollars each and no on even knew about it i guess.

incidentally, i like ThemeWeavers, LLC (feat. members of Hank IV) "Best Theme for The Best Show on WFMU"'s chances. All the other entries are weak.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:19 pm

HATERS HATE TO CONGRATULATE
MAD AT ME CAUSE I'M LOOKIN' GREAT
DON'T WANNA GRIND
JUST WANNA HATE
YOU FROM HERE AND I RUN YO STATE
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Marcos got a few grand because one of his songs is in a Toyota commercial??? He's practically retarded! That's cool as hell.
hookorcrook
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:02 pm

Marcos, Oscar and Joe were actually IN the commercial playing a band that used a minivan to get around. I think there was a RNRAK song but i don't know i never got to see it.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:13 pm

That's great! I'd love to see that one!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:41 pm

I think Loli and the Chones were even in a nintendo commercial/ video game commercial or something. again, this was from a long time ago so details are foggy!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 9:56 pm

the Rock n Roll Adventure Kids did a toyota commercial (I think it was toyota? some minivan, i never got to see it) which they were actually in, hopefully that's future YouTube material. Worked out pretty well for them, got a couple thousand dollars each and no on even knew about it i guess.

From what Marcos told me he just had to load music equipment and his boogie board in the vehicle, no band music involved. I could have that wrong though.

Chris! You and Clark ready?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 10:04 pm

I think Loli and the Chones were even in a nintendo commercial/ video game commercial or something. again, this was from a long time ago so details are foggy!

It was for Bomberman
hookorcrook
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Chris! You and Clark ready?

FUCK YEAH! For what?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 12:02 am

It was for Bomberman

Really?!
Posted: Sep 7, 2011 12:30 pm

really!
Posted: Sep 9, 2011 12:23 pm

forgot all about "Willowz"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®