Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Brutally Depressing Movies
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 8:32 am

(sorry another movie thread)
i just saw haneke's "time of the wolf" and it fucked me up.

some others that i've seen that are devastating:

salo
hated (gg allin)
they shoot horses don't they?
bicycle thief or any of the other worthwhile de sica films
any of haneke's other films: funny games, the castle, ect.
any of noe's films: irreversible, i stand alone
von Trier's dancer in the dark, breaking the waves
bresson's mouchette, balthazar

i'm on a kick...
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 4:37 pm

Old Yeller...
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 4:51 pm

Elephant Man was pretty upsetting to me. I havn't watched it since the first time I saw it 10 years ago.

Hated? Thats a comedy!
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 5:18 pm

September 11th - 11 stories from 11 different countries.

Osama - 'bout a little girl in Afghanistan who pretends to be a boy in order to work.

Born Into Brothels (documentry)

My Life Without Me - a young woman w/ a family finds out she's gonna die...
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 5:42 pm

oldboy - this movie is amzing, but completely messed up.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 5:50 pm

sounder
where the red fern grows
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 5:55 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

I always tell my gf, who closely follows this stuff, that the most depressing or transgressive wins, and I'm usually right. Same goes for the Best actor/actress categories.

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars80.html

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars90.html

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars00.html

"Ordinary People" was when I started noticing this trend, but I bet there were several downers that made a splash in the 70's.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 6:00 pm

"Kids" always gets a lot of props, but I've only seen it once. The overwhelming nihilism of the picture prevents me from wanting to see it ever again, though.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 6:24 pm

"Grey Gardens" - documentary about distant relatives (a mother and daughter) of Jacqueline Kennedy living in cats and squalor in the Hamptons.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Fat Girl...pretty messed up.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:01 pm

charlotte's web
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:01 pm | Edited by: Arturo

amores perros
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:04 pm

"Fox and His Friends" is a good one, as are many of the other Fassbinder films.

Herzog's "Stroszek" manages to be both light-hearted and depressing. Great stuff.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:04 pm

JuLieN dONKEY-bOY is way more depressing than Kids.

Haven't seen 'Old Boy' yet, but watched 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' the other day, and that was totally fucked up and great.

An old girlfriend of mine, "Why do you always take me to the most depressing movies?"

"Cuz they're good."

Make sure you see 'Irreversible' if you haven't.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:11 pm

"Interiors" by Woody Allen is pretty brutal. I'm not a Woody Allen person, but this was his first drama, and he's NOT in it. Really fucked.

"Bad Timing" with Art Garfunkle and Harvey Keitel. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! They way this movie ends is FUCKED! And awesome.

"The Shooting" with Jack Nicholson and Warren Oates. Existential morality play Western. Heavy, weird, and depressing.

"Straw Dogs" is pretty good. One of the most fucked up rape scenes in a movie, ever.

Someone said "Grey Gardens" which is, yeah, 'brutally depressing' if nothing else.

"The Swimmer" with Burt Lancaster is pretty heavy, too.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:13 pm

I love depressing and disturbing films - the visceral response to a completley devastating scene or film (Mouchette, Piano Teacher, Rosetta) is worth the price of admission any time...

I am FINALLY getting back into seeing film after blowing it off for a couple years, and saw Bela Tarr's 7 1/2 hour masterpiece, "Satantango", this weekend - that is pretty devastating too (the scenes with the girl) but it also has a dark humor...a remarkable film...I would recommend this, and Tarr's "Werckmeister Harmonies", to anyone into film, Tarkovsky's true heir...

Cache' (Hidden) is Michael Haneke's newest film - a really good downer. Haneke is one of my favorite recent directors...Piano Teacher was completely depressing...

British director, Alan Clarke has directed some bummer flicks for sure - Scum is a REAL downer and The Firm, Elephant are both depressing...(The Firm and Elephant recently released on a DVD together).

Elephant by Gus Van Sant is a downer (inspired by Clarke's film of the same name).

Kandahar by Moshen Makmalbahf

Bergen films are quite depressing - Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, Shame, Cries and Whispers

Irreversible was pretty amazing - although much too much for a lot of people...

Woody Allen's Interiors - I've always been a fan, even though it has been criticized as being too much a Berman rip-off...

Lodge Kerrigan is mining some pretty intense territory with his films - very underappreciated American filmmaker - Keane, Claire Dolan, Clean Shaven

still haven't seen Fat Girl...on my list...
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:18 pm

I love Grey Gardens and don't consider it too depressing -- those hags seem to be enjoying themselves, even if their lifestyle is beyond the hinges of the normal comfort zone.

I just read this story in the new New Yorker about a 14 or 15 year old super genius kid who blew his brains out last year. he lived in isolation on this farm in the midwest that his parents likened to a bio-sphere. it seems all he really wanted was to have a girlfriend and interact with more kids, but his folks were very dismissive of that. and now that he's dead, they're so focused on the fact that so many of his organs were harvested to give life to other needy kids that they're beginning to believe this was Brandenn's purpose from the beginning. very creepy story written w/o any histrionics which makes it even more unsettling...

here's more, if you wanna get REALLY depressed:
http://emdashes.blogspot.com/2006/01/eustace-google-strange-sad-case-o f.html
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:19 pm

"Grey Gardens" - documentary about distant relatives (a mother and daughter) of Jacqueline Kennedy living in cats and squalor in the Hamptons.

This is much better than any description can do it justice...AND depressing.

Cinema Paradiso fits the bill if you can handle moments of life-affirmation, and comedy mixed in.

Probably lame as an adult but I remember the possibly made-for-TV, "LIttle Matchstick Girl" to be brutal.

I think the '70's really raised the bar for depressing movies, and music...
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:50 pm | Edited by: Crystal Lake

STEVIE
http://imdb.com/title/tt0334416/

one of those movies that's technically very good but I still wouldn't recommend, just 'cause it'll make you feel like shit.

The Pledge (starring Jack Nicholson) is also a real downer, as is Leaving Las Vegas.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 8:20 pm

DAS BOOT
http://imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

the directors cut, of course

Bittere Ernte (Angry Harvest)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088811/
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 8:31 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Grey Gardens is simultaneously hilarious, tense, depressing and wonderful.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 8:32 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Not brutally depressing, just somewhat depressing, but also really funny and a stellar movie is "Fat City".
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 8:38 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

"What Ever Happened to Baby Jane"
"Amores Perros"
"Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?"
"Throne of Blood" (or any take on "MacBeth"")
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 8:47 pm

"Fat City" is great.

I love the opening, with Stacy Keach looking all sad and defeated, and then Kris Kristofferson's "Help Me Make It Through the Night" starts playing. So good. One of the better openings to a movie I've ever seen.

There's always all that Monte Hellman stuff. More straight up existential than "brutally depressing" but check out "Two Lane Blacktop" "The Shooting" (I think I mentioned this above) and "Cockfighter". Anything with Warren Oates, now that I think about it. He's in all those, plus "Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia" by Sam Peckinpah, which, if viewed as a sort of meditation on Peckinpah's own life and body of work, is pretty fucking depressing.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 8:49 pm

"Sophie's Choice" always gets to me.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:10 pm

Dustin Hoffman as "Ratso" in Midnight Cowboy always got to me, and actually, the whole movie is pretty depressing.

"Elephant Man" always got to me.

Even though it's pretty hyped and mellodramatic, "Monster" really depressed me when I first saw it.

"Ironweed" is pretty depressing look at depression-era bums, as well.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:20 pm

I love Grey Gardens. And agree with this...
Grey Gardens is simultaneously hilarious, tense, depressing and wonderful.
The most depressing aspect of it was the daughter. She was just pathetic. Almost "Baby Jane" but for real.
I agree with Midnight Cowboy. One of my favorite movies ever, and gut wrenching and depressing as all get out.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:21 pm

And, I second "Virginia Wolfe" too. But Jesus, Liz and Dick at their finest.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:22 pm

More straight up existential than "brutally depressing"

You've listed most of my favorite movies. I'm having a hard time coming up with something "brutally depressing", though. I like these movies! Two Lane Blacktop - yeah - christ, that Warren Oates character is HEAVY. The Swimmer - try watching that by yourself! (or maybe it would be worse with someone you really dug, if they started making fun of Burt - damn, that would be depressing) Um, nothing on screen is as depressing as the audience for all that Hollywood shit anyway.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:23 pm

heck yeah - Virginia Wolfe!
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:29 pm

ok - got one. And it's bleak. Antonioni's Red Desert.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:30 pm

"Reservoir Dogs", too. I'd never seen that movie until last year. Great movie...brutally depressing.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:41 pm

Yeah, man, I watched "The Swimmer" for the first time by myself. HEAVY, but, you're right, probably worse if you watched it with someone you thought was cool and they made fun of Burt.

If any of y'all are in Portland, I'll be hosting weekly film screenings at Video Verité on North Mississippi Ave. Tuesdays in Feb. We're gonna show, I think, "Straw Dogs", "The Swimmer", "Salesmen" (by the same guys who did "Grey Gardens" and "Gimme Shelter") and "The Shooting".

Then, in March, we'll be starting "The Wire". We'll show 2 episodes every Tuesday (maybe Thursday- details still being worked out)!
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 10:47 pm

more for the list:
Happiness
Requiem for a Dream
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 11:03 pm

I just saw Oldboy for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's GREAT.

Add to the list: Gummo.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Not a movie, but what passes for "All My Children" these days is heartwrenchingly depressing.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 1:04 am

"Poopy Poppy" by Squirrelly McDickertaffy
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 1:31 am

Then, in March, we'll be starting "The Wire". We'll show 2 episodes every Tuesday (maybe Thursday- details still being worked out)!
Which season of the Wire? I've got season 3 if you need it.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 2:02 am

just saw haneke's 'cache'. fucking great.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 2:02 am

You should show The Corner--I know Video Verite has it. Now, that is some seriously brutally depressing shit. After the last episode ended, I burst into tears. One of those things that sticks on you for days and weeks. Everytime I see those actors, I remember their "Corner" role.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 3:12 am

I had to go to the cinema and sit through "Look Who's Talking Too" with a girlfriend I used to go out with. I was pretty fucking depressed during that. Especially as I has to pay to see it. Same as when I had to go and see "Three Men And A Little Lady". I had to get drunk after seeing that.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 4:18 am | Edited by: Bob Seger

"Love Liza"

a wife who commits suicide, leaves a note...the husband is too scared to open it and read it.
Soooo. he just decides to huff gas all day long and fuck up his whole life. You slowley watch him get more an more loopy as the gas huffing reaches a peak. He also likes to play with remote control airplanes.

the Star is: Philip Seymour Hoffman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282698/
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 9:08 am

Some of the most depressing movies in recent years have been documentaries :

Darwin's Nightmare - Hupert Sauper
http://www.coop99.at/darwins-nightmare/index.htm

La Terre des Âmes Errantes - Rithy Panh
S21 The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine - Rithy Panh

http://www.frif.com/new2003/s21.html

No Quarto Da Vanda - Pedro Costa
http://www.pandorafilm.com/produktion/index_details.php?query_var=id&q uery_value=30

Jung (War) in the Land of the Mujaheddin - Fabrizio Lazzaretti & AlbertoVendemmiati
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jung_war_in_the_land_of_the_mujaheddin /

Os Mutantes - Teresa Villaverde
http://www.filmfestivals.com/cannes98/regarus26.htm

Lilja 4-ever - Lukas Moodysson
http://www.deep-focus.com/flicker/lilya4ev.html

last 2 not really documentaries but whatever...

DEFINATELY NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED!!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 9:26 am

Silent Runnings( starring bruce dern and 3 robots)
The day after( starring steve guttenberg, john lithgow and jason robards..about wwIII.. very happy.)
the 8th day( french film about normal man who befriends downs syndrome man)
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 2:01 pm

Some of the most depressing movies in recent years have been documentaries

"Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam"
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0092851/

this was a HBO special originally released in the late 80's I think, it came out on DVD and is worth picking up. All of the footage is real & all the letters read are real. Some fucked up shit on there.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 4:49 pm

Bergen films are quite depressing - Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, Shame, Cries and Whispers

Depressing that I spelled his name wrong...it should read BERGMAN...

Bergen is a street in Brooklyn...
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Anybody see that Bjork movie? "Brutally depressing" is exactly the right words...
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:31 pm

Brutally boring. I thought I was going to freak out everytime you could tell she was about to break into song.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:37 pm

I loved Dancer in the Dark (the Bjork film)...as well as Breaking The Waves and Dogville...
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:43 pm

I HATED Dancer in the Dark -- the plot sucked -- she didnt want to traumatize her son by telling him he might go blind but she thought it was OK to traumatize him by getting executed??? fucking stupid, and if I ever have to witness Bjork singing My Favorite Things in a prison cell again, I will kill the TV set and whoever else is in the room with me...
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:49 pm

I loved Breaking the Waves, but I'll just repeat what I said about Dancer...AWFUL, pretentious shit.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:50 pm

Hey Guys! I'm having a Dancer in the Dark viewing party to be followed by the Valentines Day Cat Power show here @ Town Hall! Who's in?!?!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:52 pm

I'll bring the cyanide & Kool Aid!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:54 pm

that's one.
andria, sounds like yr a shoe in. 2 and counting...
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 6:30 pm

Matthew, you and I are destined to die in a fiery, snot-filled embrace... might as well get serenaded by Bjork. so yes, count me in!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 6:38 pm

Leftpeg-

We're starting with season one of The Wire... it's such a good show, and I've been telling so many to people to watch it, I figure this is a good way to get people hooked.

The Corner was super fucked- so sad. Anything those guys do- Homicide, The Corner, The Wire, Clockers- pretty intense all the way around.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 6:42 pm

Homicide, The Corner, The Wire, Clockers- pretty intense all the way around.

I'm a big fan of the Wire too, but have never seen an episode of Homicide. Is it really anywhere near as good? I just figured it would be too watered down since it's a network tv show. I'll give it a shot if you think it's worthwhile.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 6:48 pm | Edited by: Joe

Homicide, for what it was, 10 years ago on network TV, was pretty fucking insane. It still holds up, but is definitely more of a character study- less violence, less sex, etc.

It did, however, have one of the best casts ever assembled for anything- and a lot of the actors show up in places on the Wire and the Corner (and Richard Belzer's "John Munch" role on Law + Order was originated on Homicide- when it was cancelled he was hired to L+O to play the same guy). Worth checking out for Andre Brauer and Yaphet Kotto- two of the most intense cops ever.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 6:48 pm

Homicide: Life on the Streets is AWESOME. I can't beleive how far real network TV has gone downhill from that.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:09 pm

Homicide was fantastic. One of the best dramas to ever grace our screens. Puts all that CSI crap to shame. Unfortunately, it was on Friday nights at 10pm when you would assume the target audience was out on the town. For a couple of years towards the end I had a satellite feed from the east coast so I could watch it at 7pm, and still make it out for a night of rock. Fair play to NBC for keeping it on the air for so long even with such a shitty time slot.

Eric H, don't hesitate to watch this show.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:14 pm

"FESTEN" by Tomas Vinterberg beats all Lars Von Trier movies (with all his pathetic masochistic women) - It's a tale about child abuse, sincerity, revenge - brutally depressing but also hilariously funny.

Bet you all seen that one
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:17 pm

The Biscuit Eater.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Threads - Most brutally depressing nuclear war movie ever. Saw it once years ago and can't forget it.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:48 pm

you and I are destined to die in a fiery, snot-filled embrace... and matthew barney, Bjork's dee-bag boyfriend can make one of his gloopy movies about it!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Eric H, don't hesitate to watch this show.

Jesus, there's seven seasons of this thing! If it's as good as you're saying, I guess I have the rest of my winter mapped out. Thanks for the recommendation. It's at the top of the netflix queue.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 12:03 am

i thought of another: Koyaanisqatsi

the end of the movie is a ten minute shot of the challenger blowing up and falling from the sky with this crazy buddist monk chant music.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:19 pm

I love 'Homocide.' I'm gay for Bayliss and Pembleton's stroke-talk.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 11:12 pm

"i stand alone" is pretty fuckeding depressing.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 6:51 pm

Requiem for a Dream

I haven't read the whole string, but that was the movie that came to mind immediately. That movie really fucked with my head, for weeks afterward... I guess it may not have affected everyone so profoundly, but I don't think I will ever be able to watch it again!

It's funny whoever said the Bicycle Thief, I was thinking about renting that movie because I saw it on my first date when I was like 14 (with a guy I didn't really like but he sure liked me)... I just don't remember it at all.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 7:06 pm

blue collar!

tremendous yaphet kotto death scene.

and in the vein of the bicycle thief, i'd also say shoeshine and umberto d.

neither of which have yaphet kotto death scenes but still.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 7:51 pm

2 I use to have on tape before they were borrowed and never returned:

Little Nikita(?) w/ Tim Roth as a hitman who has to go back to his old neighborhood for one more job. Also has Ed Furlong as his brother. Fucked ending.

Once Were Warriors- a New Zealand film about a dysfunctional family struggling to keep it together. Brutal fight scenes and some more disturbing shit. Both from the early Nineties, but I don't know who directed either one. Definitely worth checking out.

Oh, and Another Day in Paradise w/James Woods and Melanie Griffith. Definitely a feel good drug/crime film.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 9:34 am

Million Dollar Baby
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 11:27 am

stellar movie is "Fat City
man alive, I never thunk I'd see a Stacey Keech referance here.
Dug that film, saw it on the big screen while on a John Huston kick I got on just after "Chinatown"-while I'm on it, Polanski and a switch blade uttering "kitty kat" and doin' the slice and dice.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 11:30 am

Homicide: Life on the Streets is AWESOME. I can't beleive how far real network TV has gone downhill from that.
taped them, back before dvd box sets, what a fuckin cast..and those econo cop cars they drove all around Baltimore in..black and white too.
go Yafat Koto..and Wolf musta been a writer on that early series..cause Law and Order is a spin off.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 3:47 am

"Love Liza"

Not that depressing. All the gas huffing makes it fairly comedic At least I thought so.

Dogville is pretty intense and don't like von trier's other movies. plus the sequal is coming out soon.

I also thought the movie of Unbearable Lightness of Being was good and depressing.

And Altman's Nashville is a favorite
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 3:56 am

Million Dollar Baby

that's with that hilary girl right? she's a low class backwoods whore. probably can't even spell. her face looks like a terrorist bombed it.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 5:31 am

battlefield earth

not because of the story or plot or themes or any of that, it was seriously the worst movie i've ever seen. i was depressed because i wasted 7 bucks on it.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 10:34 am

Someone mentioned "Blue Collar". Awesome movie. Anything with Yaphet Kotto- that guy's a fucking genius.

Also- just saw "Grizzly Man"- depressing to watch such a fucking lunatic go progressively crazier. But not really "brutally depressing" the way this thread is talkin'.

Try and catch an episode of the Carson Daly show. It's on right now and man- it's killin' me. Who the fuck is Panic at the Disco? The worst goddamned band fucking band I've ever heard, that's who. I'm gonna kill myself.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 4:05 pm

You know what depressed me when I was about 22?

"Betty Blue"
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 4:33 pm

Betty Blue is one of my favorites! I was obsessed with Beatrice Dalle. anyone see that cannibal movie she did a few years ago???
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 4:46 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Cannibal Beatrice Dalle?!?!? I lurve ze Frenchie actrezzez.

Today I am going to watch "Possessed" with Joan Crawford.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 5:40 pm

That cannibal flick is Trouble Every Day...great film by Clair Denis w/ Beatrice Dalle and Vincent Gallo. Maybe more a "vampire" film than cannibal? intense!

has anyone seen Clair Denis' film from this year The Intruder? I missed it...
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 10:06 pm

I can't believe I forgot this, but: Electra Glide In Blue!

Awesome. Watch a killer go crazy in the desert!
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 10:39 pm

Dogville is pretty intense
hell yea it is. and looong too.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 10:54 pm

"Betty Blue"

Brody from the distillers names this as her favorite movie I remember. haven't seen it though.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 11:46 pm

Noi The Albino, 101 Reykjavik. I really like these movies though even if they are depressing.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:24 am

"Black Rain" (not the one with that jerk Michael Douglas) -- it's a story about the aftermath of the Hiroshima bombing.

Not so sure about "Grizzly Man" as depressing, but it had one of my favorite lines of recent times. Herzog in his deadpan German after that nut was crying over the poor dead baby fox: "He seemed to ignore the fact that in nature there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder."
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:54 am

Bad Lieutenant.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:09 pm

I remember seeing Nil By Mouth- gary oldman's film about growing up in Northern England- brutal. As a wise man put it "if you want the real Trainspotting, see Nil By Mouth..."

so true. addiction, battered wives, loneliness, hopelessness, despair...

Also, I thought Born into Brothels was awesome! Not depressing, or not grim, anyways... there's definitely a sense that things can get better there...
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Posted: Jan 24, 2006 4:39 pm

i was listening to Art Bell last night and realized everyone had overlooked an obvious one, sorta its time's "requiem for a dream" with a bizarre "happy?" ending

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:55 pm

Bowling for Columbine was really depressing. You have some left-slanted liberal fuck (Moore) telling lies to sponge-like bleeding hearts about my hometown of Detroit and my country. That people believed half the nonsense in this shitty film and his future projects really depresses me.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:13 am

Tarr's "Werckmeister Harmonies"

thanks for suggesting this one. i thought it was amazing. it sort of blows away anything jarmusch or van sandt have done, yet it goes unnoticed by most of their fans. gotta get my hands on "satantango" now, you lucky new york bastard.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:47 am

what about "Easy Rider"?
course D Hopper depresses me every time he comes on screen.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:45 am

has anyone seen Clair Denis' film from this year The Intruder? I missed it...

L'Intrus is spellbinding. Very hermetic but fascinating all the way. I also loved Béla Tarr's "Damnation". SATANTANGO is in my alltime top 10.

For some really depressing Russian movies, check out both Vitali Kanevski movies : Freeze, Die and Resurrect from 1990 and An Independent Life from 1992.

Listmaniacs might check ou http://www.batarang.be (At the movies - Faves) for recommendations...
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:18 pm

My life to live

Godard's depressing tale involving hookers, cafes, lots of smoking, and a shooting.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:26 pm

Anyone mentioned Abel Ferrera's The Funeral? RIP Chris Penn. Also: Fuck Vincent Gallo. What a turd.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:29 pm

That movie someone had listed as 'Little Nikita?' the other day-- It was 'Little Odessa.' I just thought of it. It was driving me nuts the other day... you were mixing it up with 'La Femme Nikita,' both very good movies. I love Tim Roth.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 8:20 pm

There was a shitty movie with Sidney Poitier and River Phoenix called Little Nikita. It was shitty.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 6:07 am

Dark Days.

Citizen X.

Closely Watched Trains.

Norma Rae.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 8:24 am

everyone, thanks for the list.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 10:13 pm

Eastwood's "Breezy"... don't know why... I hate hippies but I'm also romantic...
& Breaking the Waves, I don't dare to watch it again 'cause it depressed me too much
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 12:19 am

The Deer Hunter
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 3:27 am

Haiku Tunnel, I Spit on Your Grave, Chopper, Star 80, The Center of the World, Ms. 45, The Virgin Suicides, Taxi Driver, Punch Drunk Love
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 12:00 pm

Buddy Boy. So fucked up. Severely fucked up. It's crazy. It's been raining here for a month straight and it's depressing as fuck outside which makes it all the more troubling to watch. It felt like I was serving a life sentence while watching it. Fuck that movie.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 1:06 am

Salo and Hated are depressing?! I thought they were both hilarious and quality. Great shit.

As for depressing, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned, but Bad Lieutenant gets my vote. I've seen that movie a million times, basically anything directed by Abel Ferrera is awesome. Driller Killer's another great flick.

TONY COCA-COLA AND THE ROOSTERS
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 5:24 am

21 Grams
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 11:14 pm

Django! or pretty much any Spaghetti Western
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 12:55 am

21 Grams

I turned this fucker off. For 3 days I watched snips from the first 20 minutes. Never got past Penn's puke scene in the car. Pathetic.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 2:44 am

the majority of you are either candy assed panty wastes who would get depressed when they're all out of the yellow peeps and only have the blue peeps left or you just like incredibly terrible movies

whatever those movies they showed on television in the 70's as like prime time afterschool specials were some of the most depressing stuff I've ever seen...I remember one where some kid gets beat at home and he's got some friend that no one else can see in the park by his house and finally his dad beats him to death and he gets to go with his friend forever

the other one was some flick where this brother and sister were getting beaten up by street toughs till somebody fell off a bridge

salo? hated? bad lieutenant? lars von dogshit?

please....hollywood's brainfuck of all of you is the most depressing
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 2:54 am

ok tough guy
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 3:01 am

tough guy?

old yeller and babe 2 pig in the city were more depressing than this existential indie fuck "wah wah woe is me" garbage most of you have bought hook, line and sinker

that doesn't make me tough, just not mistaking boring for depressing
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:31 am

Dancer in the Dark was a bit ridiculous, but quite depressing. I saw Osama and Sophy's Choice up there. Those are both brutal. I would also have to add the Magdalene Sisters.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:45 am

that doesn't make me tough, just not mistaking boring for depressing

ok easily bored guy
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 11:22 am

What's some depressing porno?
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 11:41 am

Caligula
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 12:04 pm

anything you spent $20 and it looks like it was shot by your uncle at the swapmeet
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 12:41 pm

The Real Cancun is a real downer. Not recommended but I recommend this little gem from 2004..... It's fuck your mind (and that's a good thing)...

The Manson Family! In 1996, TV journalist Jack Wilson (Carl Day) is assigned to do a piece about Charles Manson (Marcelo Games) and the infamous 1969 murders that landed him in prison. Poring over mounds of archival clips -- the footage is staged -- Wilson learns the story of aspiring-musician Manson and his scarily impressionable "family." Underground horror king Jim Van Bebber took 15 years to bring his chilling vision to the screen.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 1:00 pm

The Bad Lieutenant
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®