Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Chinese Millionaires
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:10 pm

Back in July, somebody posted something about possibly having a Chinese Millionaires video which I think was from the Rip Off Rumble in 1997. Does anyone still have that, or any others I could get my hands on?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:39 pm

okay, nobody probably has any videos...but does anyone even remember them? They were almost on Goner.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:45 pm

I have a video on slsk. It's okay.

judgeandjury
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:46 pm

Is it the song "Automatic Boy"? If so, that's from Green Bay, 5/1/97.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:49 pm

nobody cares. thanks for stopping by.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:52 pm

I don't give a shit if you care, I care.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 9:13 pm

They really stunk.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 9:17 pm

true enough.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 9:20 pm

I saw them play at the Rip-Off Rumble in SF in '97. Great set, I thought.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 10:27 pm

You guys are dumb - they were good. Saw them quite a few times. Singer seemed like an a-hole, but the rest were nice fellers. I like the singles and about half the LP. Never understood why people didn't like 'em.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 10:37 pm

No, YOU'RE dumb!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 11:48 pm

Nuh uh!
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 12:59 am

they were mediocre....covered Real Kids Reggae Reggae, as i recall
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:27 am

this response is a bit late, but I second that the automatic boy single is tits!
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:33 am

Everytime I see someone getting excited about the Chinese Millionares I end up scratching my head. They were okay...but far from great. Time is too short to get excited about average bands. I saw 'em a few time live too and they always dull. Also, if you yelled "Detroit Double Cheeseburger" at them it seemed to bum them out. They were even from anywhere near Detroit (unless the other side of the state is "near Detroit"). Never understood what the big deal was about 'em.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:49 am

where did you see them?
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:03 am | Edited by: dale

At least once at the Gold Dollar and a few other places around Michigan (locations are hazy in my old age). I just never understood why people got all excited about them...they never moved me. Nice guys (for the most part) though.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:19 am | Edited by: No Big Thing

Nice guys (for the most part) though.

One of them comes into the store I work at pretty regularly and has always been really nice. The first time he was wearing a Teengenerate shirt---definite oddity where I'm at---and we talked a bit about Greg Lowery and Rip Off, I think particularly about his "presence" here on the Goner BB. If I wasn't too lazy to look for the thread I'd go elsewhere and admit to having talked about the Goner BB with somebody I hadn't known for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

And hey, Dale, come play at Mac's.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:20 am

If my "handle" didn't give it away, I was in the band. The drummer, no less, but in the band (I know, I know, drummers are expendable). We played the Gold Dollar one time - with the Wildbunch, I think. It's funny, because we never really tried to have any sort of success (and it's debatable that we had any), but we never seemed to find a niche in Michigan. We played in Michigan several times, but the kids just didn't ever really get into it. Maybe Michiganders are smarter than most, but we always did well in Green Bay, Chicago, Columbus, and a few other cities. Strange. I'm definitely not saying we were any more than "average", but it's just funny that you saw us at different Michigan venues and were not "blown away". We killed at the Rip Off Rumble - but I think Greg Lowery might have bribed the audience. Did you ever yell "Detroit Double Cheeseburger" at a show? I'm sure we would have laughed, or Tom would have had some snide remark. We never really took any of it seriously, which is good (and appropriate). In any case, I haven't listened to the millionaires' stuff in quite a while, but I might just have to pull out our 2nd single now - for old times sake.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:33 am

I got it from you on Soulseek last year...I already posted it. Sorry I didn't give you credit. Good quality though - I wish you had the whole set. I have the whole set on VHS, but all you can hear is DRUMS DISTORTION DRUMS NOISE DRUMS DISTORTION. I'll be sure to log into youtube and give credit where credit is due. Thanks bradx.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:34 am

here's the link to the video, in case anyone cares:
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:35 am

and yes dirk, I know you don't care.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:38 am

that whole "mini-tour" we did with the Makers and Thee Headcoats was weird. the singer for the Makers was very standoffish, but the other guys were very cool. Billy was cool as you would expect. He spent a lot of time in his "dressing room" from what I remember. Holly was with him (though not the rest of the Headcoatees), and she was super fucking drunk, but cool as shit.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:43 am

we played with the Action Swingers in NYC in 97 too. I was mesmerized.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:53 am | Edited by: dale

The Chinese Millionares played the Gold Dollar with the Spaceshits, Deadly Snakes and the Blowtops (Friday August 21st 1998-thank you golddollar.com for keeping all there show listings still archived) too. Yes! I yelled "Detroit Double Cheeseburger" a lot at the particular show I'm talking about. It was boring. It has nothing to do with what ever success you were or were not going for-and I saw the band several times thinking I was missing something or it was just a dull show but everytime I checked out the band it was the same ie Dull. That's all I'm saying. Why is that funny?
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:58 am

I always dug the Chinese Millionaires back in the day.
I used to be in touch with Eric from the band and ordered the early singles from him. Got a t-shirt too.

Weird story: I used to write back and forth with Dan Clowes (Eightball) when I was a kid, and I once made him a punk rock mix tape. He wrote back and said his favourite track was by the Chinese Millionaires.

So there you go.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 4:07 am | Edited by: dale

Mac's? Who's booking that place now? Man, Bantam Rooster and the Dirtys show was the first time I set foot in that place. The Hookers sure bummed out that bar one time.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 9:17 am

Chinese Millionaires were fucking cool..!! there 7"s are awesome.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 10:02 am

I think Jay's in 2 Chicago outfits; The Clerics & some other band that Chris Wiglar's in whose name presently escapes me.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 11:25 am

Bands, people can not agree on, are often the greatest. I've often seen this. That said, that one you tube video didn't do it for me.

Off-topic : Don't thrust anyone's opinion, that's the only truth I know. Who cares that IMO Bantam Rooster or The Makers suck? I'm writing some reviews right now and I would hate the idea of people not buying a rekkid cause one person dislikes it.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 12:00 pm

everytime I checked out the band it was the same ie Dull. That's all I'm saying. Why is that funny?

It's "funny" because you seem to be from Michigan, and as I mentioned, we had very few fans in Michigan. I guess funny was maybe the wrong word - maybe expected, typical, not surprising...
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 12:15 pm

because one cannot buy/listen to ALL the records that come out, you have to rely on reviews - a good reviewer tells you WHY he dislikes a certain record - the times are changing however and almost everything can be listened to on the web these days - i now read reviews because i might discover great records i haven't heard of yet...
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 1:09 pm

The Chinese Millionaires' reviews were usually very good.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 1:12 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

I think Jay's in 2 Chicago outfits

If you're refering to Jay of the Chinese Millionaires (which I will assume you are), I'll clarify. He and his wife recently moved to Phoenix, but they were both in the Paperbacks. He also has toured with Jinx Titanic, and was kinda an official member.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:26 pm

a good reviewer tells you WHY he dislikes a certain record

I agree with that.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

And I'd add I know the ones that are reliable, and the ones to avoid.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Eric from the Chinese Millionaires used to be the review coordinator for Punk Planet, and I think he still writes reviews for them on occasion.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:41 pm

<the ones to avoid>

code for bazooka joe.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:47 pm

The lead singer dude was a bit of an ass, I thought, unless that was his schtick, but everyone else was really nice. They played Green Bay a lot, so I saw them a good number of times and always thought they were good. I like that straightforward Rip Off action a lot, though. I think there was a Millionaires show with 12,000 bands in GB once...Frantics, Hookers, Chinese Millionaires, Splash 4, and like 6-7 more bands. Weird mix. Some dude from the UK came over to visit his girlfriend (going to college in WI) in order to time w/ that show. He had a shiny blue silk dress shirt on and said he was a regular at the Childish shows at that one club. Anyway, the Chinese Millionaires' records still sound cool to me. Maybe 50% "kicks ass," 25% "is alright" and 25% "hasn't aged well." Dale and I usually agree on things, so I suspect this was because they were locals.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:52 pm

Tom was, and is a bit of an ass, though he's still a really good friend of mine. Part of it is his schtick, but part of it was because (as many of you know) you talk to some incredible dumbasses at shows, and sometimes it's just easier to be an ass. Tom was good at that. The other three of us were too nice. That show with the Splash 4 was a lot of fun, I had forgotten about that. Didn't the Problematics play that one too? I wish I had kept a record of that stuff.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:20 pm

they were both in the Paperbacks

I heard that band's CD. I confused them with the Paybacks from Detroit. Their name and sound was close so close to each other. Paybacks had better songs though
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 4:06 pm | Edited by: dale

I think my problem was that I had read quite a bit of glowing praise for the Chinese Millionaires by the time I had heard them (and then saw them) and they seemed far from what people were raving about. They weren't a horrible band by any stretch but they just didn't move me. As far as the "local thing" I doubt that had anything to do with it. I live 60 miles out north east of Detroit (Port Huron)...the Chinese Millionaires were from Lansing or somewhere on the other side of the state. Saying such a thing Todd would be the same as me saying you didn't like some band from Racine might be a local thing (but then again who is from Racine? The Danger..those guys are pretty limp). I think it may have more to do with the fact that at the time there were A LOT of really good bands coming out from everywhere and the Chinese Millionaires, to me, seemed sorta average compared to some of the other stuff that was going on. No big deal really, I didn't mean to hijack this thread to bag on the band or anything.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 4:13 pm

We by no means considered ourselves great or anything. Actually, the "raving" you mention was very surprising for us. I think I agree with trickknee with the percentages he gives our records. We were just happy to be able to play a lot of shows, with some really good bands (and LOTS of not-so-good ones).
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 5:55 pm

i've never seen you live (you didn't tour europe right?), but i like the records very much. actually, i thought it was nothing special on first listen but after a few spins that shit clicked and i guess the lp has now been one of my most played ripoff records. the singer has a great voice, not too unlike of mike hudson's from the pagans - he indeed sounds like a total asshole but that's a good thing with this music. so, great band in my opinion.

but there was a link posted here one or two years ago to a new band of some of the millionaires members, confusions or something?, and that shit REALLY sucked, sounded like a cheap melodic hardcore. that kinda bummed me out.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 6:10 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

confusions or something

The Contusions, and yes, and sucked is too kind of a word for it.

you didn't tour europe right

We didn't - actually, we were starting to book a tour in Europe when Tom's wife got a job in Chicago, they moved, the millionaires were finished...end of story.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 6:55 pm

"or any others I could get my hands on?"

I have a video from GB when ya opened for the Registrators. I suck at dubbling/trading but I could email ya some clips if ya want.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 7:01 pm

but I could email ya some clips if ya want.

That would be great. Ever use www.yousendit.com ? it's a great way to send files too large for email. my email address: markmillionaire@gmail.com
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 7:04 pm

Hi Devin, ya smelly Yooper.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 7:16 pm

Todd, ya der hey now! Toivo and Ano say hello.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 7:24 pm

Excellent! Dere hey.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 8:11 pm

Jaa.. dat dere is guud stuff dere eh?
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 10:00 pm

Mac's? Who's booking that place now?

Honestly, I don't know who's doing it at the moment, but from the songsI heard on Myspace---sounded good to me---they'd probably be up for your band. Maybe a Kalamazoo/Lansing jaunt in the future?
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 11:18 pm

This is the guy booking Mac's last I knew. Mark Phiillips [oldmrp@hotmail.com]
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 11:25 pm

what band ever lives up to their hype?

seriously, If I read reviews and believed that they were "the new saving grace and greatest thing to come down the pike(not really something quoted just typical reviewer blab)" I would probably hate all music
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 11:39 pm

I saw the Chinese Millionaires and the Dirtys the same amount of times, twice, and own most of their records. Good times on all accounts.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 11:44 pm

Good times on all accounts.

Thanks - let me know if you don't have all of the millionaires stuff and I'll email you the songs. I have mp3s of all of our singles, comps, outtakes from the LP, and a live show.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 11:56 pm

grunnen rocks informs me that the only song I don't have is the Only Ones cover. and the live show. and the lp outtakes.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:03 am

The Only Ones cover was recorded in our practice space, and the sound really sucks, but it's all yours. The live show was in Cincinnati when we played with the Spaceshits and the Deadly Snakes back in 8/98. Beware - the sound of the first song on the live show sucks - the sound guy was fucking around with the mixing board, but it gets much better. The lp outtakes simply weren't chosen by Greg Lowery (or Randy Rip Off, as we so affectionately called him).

What's your email address?
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:11 am

uselesseater at gmail dot com. Or bring them to the Reigning Sound show in Kalamazoo. I can share some goodies wit you.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:19 am

ARSENIC CITY is a fucking ripper!!

i love the obvious thievery of songs this band used esp the surrender rip on Ritchie White.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:24 am

ARSENIC CITY is a fucking ripper!!

E. Davidson put out the comp that track came out on. My family has two copies. We hoard.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:29 am

two copies? Wow, I only have one. I actually saw that comp on ebay about 5 years ago going for $60 - crazy.

I sent you a zip file of the songs through yousendit.com. It should be there now. I'll definitely catch up with you at the Reigning Sound show.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:31 am

i love the obvious thievery of songs this band used esp the surrender rip on Ritchie White.

We were all about the thievery. You can find it on several songs. See if you can find them all!!! We weren't sure anyone listened close enough (except for Ritchie White, of course - that's just obvious).
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:42 am

Thanks mark, listening now. lp outtakes are the hot shit. they get played this week on the radio. 100 watts of power.

two copies? Wow, I only have one.

One of the perks from marrying somebody with a vagina who likes good music.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:49 am

lp outtakes are the hot shit.

thanks - we were actually pretty pissed the Greg L didn't choose those songs for the album. I could easily replace some of the "keepers" with those three.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 2:20 am

i hear Joan Jett bad reputation on Arsenic City (oh no no no) and 'no time" by the saints on i forget what song (lp track i think). id have to listen again for the rest. i actually like it when bands do this.

"international women" off that ep comp is also a fave. but you guys pulled off the mid tempo stuff the best.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 2:28 am

listen to the end of Reggae Reggae - think Sex Pistols. Also, what about the obvious New York Dolls nod in Arsenic City - "I ain't lookin' for no..." [he trails off, but should say "fix"]. Also, our cover of Did You No Wrong has references to the same NY Dolls song. There are more, I just need to think about it. Tom used to tell a little story about the whole Ritchie White thing, and he claimed Ritchie was a friend of his, and it's a true story. We had A LOT of people come up to us at shows and offer tell us how sorry they were. "Over the Edge" was a movie from the 70's starring Matt Dillion. Know what his character's name was? Yep, Ritchie White. We wonder how many people got THAT reference.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 2:30 am

do you ever talk about anything but your lousy band???
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 2:51 am

do you ever talk about anything but your lousy band???

Nope. Sometimes I talk about how I pissed my pants when we played with the Action Swingers in NYC.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:03 am

funny. i must have missed that.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:06 am

August 1997 - you wouldn't talk to us. I cried for weeks.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:15 am

oh yeah i remember you guys. you all wore white shirts and skinny ties like you rolled off the rip-off records assembly line and opened with "did you no wrong."
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:18 am

We were wearing black shirts and red ties by then, but nice try. As for the assembly line, we didn't meet Greg Lowery until sometime the next year. Maybe we DEFINED this Rip Off "assembly line" you speak of. We may have opened with Did You No Wrong though, I don't recall.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:27 am

Sorry dirk, but here I go again...

We wore white shirts and black ties for a couple of years, but too many people before shows asked us if we were a ska band. We changed to the black/red combo to avoid that.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:40 am

i hate rip-off records. talk about derivative third rate crap.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:46 am

you're right - "Reptilian Records" are where it's at. the Chinese Millionaires are only 263,695 spots higher than the Action Swingers on amazon.com.

And for the record, yes, Rip Off Records truly lives up to its name - we got paid for one pressing of our lp, even though he did three.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:58 am

now you're just being silly. do you really think you sold as many records as the action swingers or made as much money???
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:00 am

oh, I'm sure we didn't - but it just proves the universal truth in life. Most people are stupid, very stupid.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:04 am | Edited by: dirk diggler

i know. a bunch of fat kids dressed up like punk rock poseurs playing sex pistols covers. very stupid indeed. you can go back to talking about your stupid band to yourself again. later.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:59 am

Wait a minute! This Chineese Millionaires band-I know who they are now. The drummer used a rack mount set. Not very punk rock at all.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 6:11 am | Edited by: SinglesGoingSteady

now you're just being silly. do you really think you sold as many records as the action swingers or made as much money???

Dirk, seriously, how much money and how many records could The Action Swingers POSSIBLY have sold? I'm not knocking your band, people on here seem to think they are good, but I grew up in the 90's...followed music like a total bedroom nerd...and never heard of you guys till you started posting on this board.

I mean you make it seem like you were in Rush or something, guy. Get over it.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 6:21 am

also from what I've heard of The Swingers it sounds pretty derivative of every lame generic "rocknroll punk" band I've ever heard. I mean it's good shit, but...Mr. DeMille is waiting for you in the other room.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 6:22 am | Edited by: SinglesGoingSteady

pps- I also concur that "Automatic Boy" was one of the better gayrage rock songs in the 90's.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 7:21 am

"The Chinese Millionaires? I didn't like that band."
"Uh, I was the drummer in that band."
"Oh. Well, uh, you guys weren't BAD, you just didn't move me."
"Well people in Chicago liked us. People in Wisconsin liked us."
"You guys were all right, just not my thing."
"It's OK. But we did get rave reviews. It surprised us. Our Amazon sales rank is blah blah blah."

JESUS guys, this thread is a total gay-off.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 8:22 am

Things I did with the $30,000 I made off The Chinese Millionaires records:

*foot massage at Jake's
*face lift
*manicure
*Babs boxed-set (x2....Jaun was interestd in expanding his tastes)
*Leather dildo
*2 round trips to Vietnam to pick up house workers
*Room and board for Jaun, Rico, Xiu, and Chang for the entire year of 1997 (fact: you can live off rice cakes and peanut butter for up to 365 days)
*new couch (pink, still have it, still love it!)
*New video equipment
*updated dungeon features including a Ned Hayden statue.
*Tascam 4-track (painted with glitter)
*five whips
*23 chains
*14 gas masks
*a new poodle (adorable! He's getting sick, though. Poor Sparkles! Who does Daddy love! Sprakle poo, that's who!)
*litigation with Shane White's lawyers (rough sex or "rape", either way, you wanted it just as bad, honey. Good luck and all but...)
*defense attorney for a trumped up "flashing" charge that was more or less being asked for by the high school guy in question.
*Slave outfit
*He-Man action figures
*A toe ring
*Trip to London
*Misfits dolls
*Barbie Dolls
*Marylin Monroe posters
*Brad Pitt autographed 8x10
*Judy Garland memorial built in my garden
*tickets to see Babs (front row!)
*a grill
*a penis enlarger (umm, btw, didn't work!)
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 8:24 am

btw- Ned, you don't call anymore, you don't fly in from NYC. What's the deal?
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 11:18 am

not to make Mr. Hayden think much more highly of his badself but didn't you, SinglesGoingSteady, not know who Poison Idea was up until a couple months ago....it's not like things don't slip by you...with that said I own the Action Swingers recorded at Toe Rag studios album and I think I only played it once......I was probably too gay
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 11:22 am

Things I did with the $30,000 I made off The Chinese Millionaires records:

Didn't we have exactly the same discussion some time ago (Reigning Sound vs Tim Warren, something like that).

Greg, didn't you buy all that stuff with the Supercharger$$$ already. How many leather dildos does one need??
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 11:23 am

leather dildos

definitely gay.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:50 pm

didnt you play with those goofy rubber coated metal stix???

Briefly - they were an xmas gift from a friend. Didn't like 'em, weighted funny.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:58 pm

those stupid things are supposed to be unbreakable too. I broke one in Chicago and then threw it at some kid.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:09 pm

shitonashingle we sold about 30,000 records total. we were on caroline which gave large advances and had a publishing deal with bmg which also gave large advances. we would get $500 minimum for gigs (which explains why we played mainly in the uk) and would get as much as $1,000 sometimes. i was able to live off of music comfortably for most of the 90's without having to do anything else. something for you losers to shoot for. good luck.

but you know it's not about competition and money it's about making the music you wanna make. i tried my best. if you didn't like it that's ok. some other people did. maybe you'll like my new stuff but i doubt it. and if some of the old stuff now sounds generic or whatever keep in mind that it was only us and the dwarves and the lazy cowgirls playing rock and roll or punk at the time. we were surrounded by grunge and bullshit everywhere we went. there wasn't a whole scene with hundreds of bands playing that kind of stuff like there is now. we helped to spark that off though if you believe all the bands that told me we were a big influence to them.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:12 pm

Yeh only 3 bands were playing good punk or rock n roll in in the early 90s.

Thanks for saving rock n roll, Ninja Gayden.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:18 pm

mrfagaction could you please name all the other bands for me???

your welcome.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:20 pm

I think you mean "you're" welcome.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:22 pm

I liked the Action Swingers much better than The Lazy Cowgirls ("frustration, tragedy and lies" burp!!) or The fucking Dwarves.

Other great bands that were around : Dead Moon, Cynics and Headcoats.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:22 pm

And oh yeah, Supercharger, definitely.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:24 pm

"The Chinese Millionaires? I didn't like that band."
"Uh, I was the drummer in that band."
"Oh. Well, uh, you guys weren't BAD, you just didn't move me."
"Well people in Chicago liked us. People in Wisconsin liked us."
"You guys were all right, just not my thing."
"It's OK. But we did get rave reviews. It surprised us. Our Amazon sales rank is blah blah blah."

JESUS guys, this thread is a total gay-off.

That's what happens when you get old.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:31 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

That's what happens when you get old.

If you're gonna quote "me", make sure I actually said it - or at least read the context of the post. I wasn't bragging about people drooling over us in those areas, I was pointing out that people in Michigan generally didn't give us a second glance.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:37 pm

keep in mind that it was only us and the dwarves and the lazy cowgirls playing rock and roll or punk at the time.

there was Green Day, sir and Rancid, AND the mutherfucking Offspring

I'm pretty sure they all played for more than $500 a show too

Good Day!!!
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm

Most hostile thread.

Ever!
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:41 pm

No, it's not.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:42 pm

Tell me more Jack !

Real man to real man.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:44 pm

Some of the most hostile threads ever involved "peepstemple", in my opinon.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:46 pm

And the Scottie Diablo ones were prett inflamatory, too.

They all make for great reading, though.

(said with a firm, manly handshake)
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:49 pm

When I first started posting here almost four years ago I asked what "peepstemple" was, and "peepstemple" came along and replied with one of the most sarcastic, vague un-answers I've ever heard. That's where I learned Goner ettiquette.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:52 pm

So, did you ever find out why? (I think I know, but never asked him)
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:54 pm

Find out what "peepstemple" meant/ was? No.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:56 pm

Isn't it a Jim Jones reference?
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:58 pm

I'm pretty sure Jay lived in a space where they had shows some time back - I think it was called "People's Temple." So there you go.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:01 pm

Todd, that was my assumption. He'd probably punch me (and rightfully so) for asking such a geeky question.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:05 pm

It's geeky when you live in Memphis! I was stuck in Vegas.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:08 pm

Oh yeah, Jack Stands, I have your N'evils liners and a mix CD called "Aprox. 70 minutes of striped pants and Goober Grape" that I'm sending you today. It has both version of three songs from the two El. Co. LP's and three tracks from Sesame Street's "My Name Is Roosevelt Frannklin" LP and a bunch of other similar sounding moog/ fuzz/ organ/ tambourine shakers. Sorry, there's no track list. It's really not necessary though.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:11 pm

Bazooka Joe = Real Lemonade made from freshly squeezed Lemons.

Thanks, Bazooka!
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:40 pm

could you please name all the other bands for me???

The Devil Dogs
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:42 pm

Well, it probably had the most off-topic hostility anyway.

Sometimes it's fun to read, sometimes it's rather embarrassing (to me, at least).
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:47 pm

the Ramones quit playing in 1989, right?
and the Cramps?
and the Sex Pistols reformed in 2000 after seeing how much money could be had at one of the lucrative Action Swingers gigs in the UK?
did any bands ever come out of Memphis in the 90's?
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:49 pm

What the fuck is a Memphis?
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:53 pm

Moomphis
Mamphis
woombly
wombly
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 12:20 am

we played with the ramones in '92. paul siminon's wife got me signed to bmg in '93. we played with the oblivions and dead moon in like '96 or '97.
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 1:35 am

no you didn't, the ramones broke up in 1989 like I said

I hate that folky "Feelin' Groovy bah da bah dabahdada bah dada" booshit...get back to work,dirk and listen to cheese

who the fuck are the oblivions?
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 2:41 am

paul siminon's wife got me signed to bmg in '93.

They must have been thrilled to know they were signing a future 30,000 seller. Or wait, do you have a conspiracy story as to why the Swingers never made it, too?
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 7:43 am | Edited by: Mr E Action

Face it, Ned. Yer a useless hasbeen in a already-ran shoulda been a contender band, you didn't make it now and now yer ugly ass wife has to support your loser ass. Hopefully numerous child sex offenders live in your neighborhood.

Knocked out cold.
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 4:00 pm

so i take it you two fags won't be at union pool on april 28th or be buying the new single on wicked???
Posted: Apr 2, 2006 12:43 am

Wicked? You might wanna tell the wife to get a second job, Dirk...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®