Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / we dont' live in the middle of nowhere, I swear....
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 11:03 pm

....but Paul saw a coyote running down the street last night. Originally, he said it was a wolf, but then we decided that wasn't possible.

Also, he has seen two bunnies frolicking in the street and there was a possum in our yard.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 11:11 pm

there aren't any coyotes in BERWYN. i bet it was a Fox. jen's parents have a few of them, and they only live about 4 miles west of you. I also bet paul was on the drugs.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 11:13 pm

Seems to be goin around. I done heard that Lindsy Lohan also tried drugs.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 11:23 pm

What do YOU know about BERWYN!?!??!?!? HUH?!

How big are foxes?
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 11:33 pm

i remember seeing a deer on chicago ave just east of harlem about two years ago. when i lived on washington blvd i used to see bunnies all the time, linus would go ape shit over them. i wouldn't be surprised if paul did see a coyote, allegedly there are some that have been spotted in miller's meadow which is a forest perserve type deal between roosevelt and cermak from 1st avenue to the cemeteries. that's not too far from you.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:02 am

Whatever it is, it's kind of scary, considering how many of my neighbors leave their dogs outside for hours (yes, even in the freezing cold).
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:09 am

well in Los Angeles, one big megalopolis, there are coyotes and possums and raccoons and shit in the canyons... critters everywhere... it was their home first, after all.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:13 am

When I was at Padre Island I saw a coyote eat from a dustbin - no kiddin' !!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:14 am

They wouldn't hurt a dog I guess
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:19 am

I saw a horse walkin down the street last summer here in Brooklyn. No lie. Where the fuck would you be gettin or takin a horse in Brooklyn???
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:24 am

If you wanna ride - then ride the White Horse

wasn't that a NY song
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:25 am

I think thats a Prince song actually....
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:27 am

(...) If you wanna be rich you gotta be a bitch

nah, Prince is more subtle
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:31 am

well in Los Angeles, one big megalopolis, there are coyotes and possums and raccoons and shit in the canyons... critters everywhere... it was their home first, after all.

And a couple of joggers get attacked by Mountain Lions/Cougars/Pumas every year in the Oakland Hills just a couple of miles up from the ghetto. It's almost always women with their "monthly visitor" that get mauled. Those cats can smell that stuff from a mile away.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:57 am

I saw a horse walkin down the street last summer here in Brooklyn.

a pet horse? a cop horse? i used to work in an office by the old cop horse stable... loved to see them milling about
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 1:00 am

Posted: Jan 5, 2006 1:00 am

Nope. A real horse bein led down Keap street with a rope. Crazing!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 1:02 am

I saw a horse walkin down the street last summer here in Brooklyn. No lie. Where the fuck would you be gettin or takin a horse in Brooklyn???

I see pigs riding horses all the time in the city. Now that's bizzarre.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 1:04 am

L>A>M>E.....
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:50 am

there are allegedly wild pheasants in detroit, and i knew a guy that raised chickens down by the old tiger stadium. and there's sometimes escaped drug dealer/dog fighter pitbulls roaming around. no horses or coyotes though.

also, the production credit on White Horse is "Laid Back/The Seven Dwarfs". i always forget about Electro and Coke-head, Sleepy and Doc and all the rest i can remember...
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:27 am

I think thats a Prince song actually....

Just found out there is a Prince-connection : It was his royal purpleness who made Warner Bros release a 12" single featuring "White Horse" and Prince's "When Doves Cry" on the same platter.

I'm pretty sure nobody cares but they're actually saying "If you wanna ride, DON'T ride the white horse". And yes dopees it's not actually about riding a horse. Anyway "a song calling the listener "YOU BITCH!" is a gem. You argue? You die! " read more : http://listentome.net/music24.php
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 3:03 pm

Fuckin' city slickers. My grandmother, when she was 85 or something, walked into her kitchen early one morning (5-6 AM), looked out the window, and saw an enormous black bear paw (adult male) up against the window as it munched on the bird feeder hanging outside the window. She lived in the middle of Sturgeon Bay, which is a small town but it was all housing or businesses for miles around her house, meaning the bear had been wandering all over the city during the night. She said she almost had a heart attack, and I believe her. She called the cops and they shot it out of a tree and drove it to the northwoods.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 3:21 pm

White pony
Ride the white pony
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:23 pm

My parents, who also live in Sturgeon Bay (but they live in the woods part, on lake michigan), had a 300 lbs black bear on their deck, which had sliding glass doors. They hid in their bedroom. Apparently he had been tagged before and he had walked to Sturgeon Bay from Michigan.

I've seen coyotes from afar before, I'm just sort of surprised they would be in a city.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:26 pm

Thanks Steve!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:30 pm

Small pets in fenced suburban backyards = boxed lunch for Coyotes.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:39 pm

save a horse, ride a cowboy
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 7:32 pm

we have a possum that lives in our yard here in semi-urban suburban New Jersey. (right near Newark). It was living in our garage last winter. I went to store stuff in there this past summer and found the place full of possum shit and hundreds of empty cardboard boxes that B was keeping for no discernable reason. THe possum chewed 'em up and nested in them. Gross.

Driving home from my friend Annie's house in North-Western NJ (farm/hill country) a couple of weeks ago, I had to slam on my brakes because a HUGE BLACK BEAR was crossing the highway. It was pretty cool, albeit a little scary as it was icy out that night, too.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 7:36 pm

Sixteene has a monkey in her apt.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 9:20 pm

Some friends of mine in Brooklyn back in 2001 were terrorized for nearly two weeks by a pack of wild dogs running loose near 3rd Ave. and Nevins. They'd be late for work every day 'cause they had to walk carefully to the subway and take alternate routes, pepper spray in hand.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 10:47 pm

"we use to say, ridin' the pink horse down nightmare alley"
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:04 pm

Norah, there's a lot of undeveloped prarie area on the southside, so it wouldn't be that weird. My grandmother's place is near Midway/Garfield ridge area and aside from the few tortilla factories, there's a lot of large open fields. On another note, I've had quite a few pets killed by coyotes, when I lived out in the country, but nothing as big as your dogs. Farm animals get attacked by them all the time, too.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 1:10 am

We obviously don't live in the middle of nowhere as last night around 11 we heard squealing tires and a HUGE CRASH... minutes later there were 3 gunshots! Kevin did you hear it too? Seemed like it was coming from your side of Western.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 1:34 am

Um, holy shit.

Crash kills one, hurts four

Tribune staff reports
Published January 5, 2006, 8:37 AM CST

A man was killed and four people were injured in a two-car accident on Chicago's West Side overnight.

According to early police reports, a Cadillac northbound in the 1000 block of North Western Avenue went out of control at 11:50 last night and struck a taxi cab, then continued and hit a man either on a bicycle or standing next to one. Police News Affairs said the man, described as 40 to 50 years old, was dead at the scene.

The driver of the Cadillac was in critical condition at Mt. Sinai Hospital and a passenger in that car also was injured. The taxi driver and a passenger in the cab also were injured, according to Chicago police. Details of their conditions were not available.

The Cook County medical examiner's office early today said it had not yet been notified of the death and could not identify the victim.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:31 am

didn't you hear that? it happened right when i went to bed, there were sirens going off all goddamn night. i heard the crash right when i turned off the lights in the living room, it was spooky. like the light switch made the noise.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:32 am

didn't see your first post, but yes, happened right at the corner. fucking weirdness.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 3:31 am

You should have seen Pauls smug face when this story came on the news tonight.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1120AP_Quiznos_Coyote.html?sour ce=mypi

Don't know why a seattle site is the only one with the story up, but anyway. He FORCED me to apologize for not believing him.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 3:36 am

I saw the footage! I know Quizno's Chicken is fresh but come on!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:14 am

Driving home from my friend Annie's house in North-Western NJ (farm/hill country) a couple of weeks ago, I had to slam on my brakes because a HUGE BLACK BEAR was crossing the highway. It was pretty cool, albeit a little scary as it was icy out that night, too.

One time I was driving a friend home who lived out in the country(actual cornfields and ranches etc.) and it was really late at night. As we were driving along we saw some enormous black beast right next to the road lift its head and look straight at us with red eyes. It was a cow. Startled me abit since it was hard to see with it being night-time. It was chewing grass right next to the road. Damn thing could've stepped out a foot or two and we all would've been hamburger meat. Farmer Brown must've not locked his gate that night.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:48 am

not quite the same but today i was working in the backyard -- laying some sod we'd cut from the front yard to make a flower bed a few days ago. picked up a random piece of sod and there were SIX SNAKES chilling out underneath. snakes, not worms (I'm not skeered of worms, and even have a wormy compost bin). they were medium-to-big. I screamed holy hell and moved to chop their heads off but they were gone lickety-split.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 6:28 am

I have a skunk that hangs out somewhere near my house. I smell it too frequently and it's definitely skunk. Do they stink all the time, or just when they spray?
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 2:16 pm

Also, he has seen two bunnies frolicking in the street and there was a possum in our yard.

I think you mean an Opossum!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 3:32 pm

You should have seen Pauls smug face when this story came on the news tonight.

yeah. we've since learned that there are A LOT of coyotes in Chicago. There's lots of them living in the parks, and they say some of them even live at Navy Pier and you can see them come out at night. pretty crazy.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 3:57 pm

there are allegedly wild pheasants in detroit, and i knew a guy that raised chickens down by the old tiger stadium. and there's sometimes escaped drug dealer/dog fighter pitbulls roaming around. no horses or coyotes though.

We used to cruise through the neighborhoods that are being wiped out to make room for expanding the airport...east of Van Dyke. I saw some pheasants out there. A lot of open fields for em to nest in I guess. The dogs used to make me sad too, seein all the strays. One time we found two massive rottweillers rolled up in carpet on the side of the road. I guess dead as a result of dog fights or somethin.

In UTAH, yes thats right,UTAH...we have bears, bobcats, rattlesnakes, all the crazy shit coming to town everyday. My parents also had a swarm of bees in their pine tree out front. Pretty rad.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:03 pm

You want to see an insane amount of stray dogs/cats, go to Puerto Rico. Its seriosuly sad. My sister would feed/trap/spay or neuter/immunize/release them, but I think they had to stop once one bit her when she was pregnant. We joked that she would give birth to weekly world news' BAT BOY. we were only half wrong. Anyway, she did that with at least six cats and those were the ones who would let her get near them.

Andria, I would die. Seriously, I would have screamed and ran and I'm not actually scared of snakes, it would have just surprised me so badly. Also, lets talk compost. I was so excited to start gardening today, but its magically winter again.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:29 pm

insane amount of stray dogs/cats, go to Puerto Ric

or Hawaii

There is a huge feral cat problem (at least on the big island) You see them dead on the road as much as you see dead squirrels on the road in Memphis. If you are watchful you can see packs of them hanging out around fast food places, like birds, scrambling to get any crumbs. so weird.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 8:27 pm | Edited by: chicago kevin

Posted: Apr 4, 2007 8:31 pm

lets talk compost

I just turned mine last weekend for the first time this year. Bring on the grass clippings.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:03 pm

1000 block of North Western Avenue

shit. another person killed in front of the bottle.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®