Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Fav..DYLAN & "Why"?
jackpenetrater
Posted: Dec 30, 2005 8:53 pm

Altho I have a quick, easy pecking order-for say..Stones & Beatles..albums.."My Fave Dylan album"..changes constantly.Maybe cause, he's got so many?.....He always makes it interesting and different too.Thoughts on Bob's besT???
Posted: Dec 30, 2005 10:05 pm

my top 5 change constantly, but a few (no order) that float to the top every time...

s/t - absolutely fierce. only features two of his compositions, but he fucking owns the rest.

<i>Bringing it all Back Home</i>- top of his game lyrically & musically, nice mix of acoustic & electric. shakes himself from the Guthrie-Greenwich-folkie stranglehold

<i>New Morning</i> defanged and domesticated, sure... but good tunes nonetheless. I especially like the production on this one- softened and cinematic. Is "Went to See The Gypsy" about Elvis? Probably could've left off "If Dogs Run Free"

<i>Blonde On Blonde<i> I used to hate this one. I thought it was too long and a lot of the times it sounds like Dylan parodying himself. I felt it might have benefited from the whole hallowed boomer-zeitgeist holy grail rock record a la Sgt. Pepper that essentially masked a mediocre group of songs. But I was wrong, they're really that good.

<i>Basement Tapes</i>- because it sounds like a fucking blast... but if you're only counting proper albums, then <i>Blood on The Tracks.</i>

honorable mention: Pat Garret & Billy The Kid soundtrack. mostly instumental, understated and meditative. features Roger McGuinn and Booker T. Too bad the film wasn't anything to jump up and down about. I've heard the director's cut is a little more coherent.
Posted: Dec 30, 2005 10:11 pm

the director's cut of Pat Garrett & BTK is my fave Peckinpah movie, and one of my top five of ALL movies ever... the released version is totally incoherent...
Posted: Dec 30, 2005 10:37 pm

Blonde on Blonde - i think it is the best record ever recorded by anyone.

i like the way the band plays - they feel like they're always on the verge of completely falling apart, yet at the same time, they are so tight and in the pocket - esp. in a track like "absolutely sweet marie." and there's that one verse that just always slays me - in his vocal performance and the sentiment of the lyrics themselves:
'Well, I waited for you when I was half sick
Yes, I waited for you when you hated me
Well, I waited for you inside of the frozen traffic
When you knew I had some other place to be'

perhaps the best poetry/lyrics ever though are in "visions of johanna"
each word is so carefully written and selected... each line conjured a vision so exacting and yet so personal
so visual and yet so ephemeral

'ghosts of 'lectricity howl in the bones of her face'
how can you beat that? that's like john keats level writing.
and of course - the song is full of other visions, which i think dylan probably observed in his lady's room and wrote them down
'jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule'
just an observation but it transmorphed into poetry

in 1966, with so many other great records released, this one stands head and shoulders above all of them - at least for me

BLONDE ON BLONDE takes an element from every genre of music and through a twist of alchemy, makes a whole new one. i think this record changed music forever, changed nashville forever... changed the way people write songs about women. just about every song is about a woman

i am and have been stuck on "lonesome day blues" as a favorite and repeated song ever since the first time i heard it - trying to make sense of the day on the day i bought this disk (9/11/01)...the moment tower records opened and i watched tv in the store until i realized i should get away from downtown
Posted: Dec 30, 2005 10:38 pm

that's reassuring... my problem is that I've always been kinda underwhelmed with Kristofferson on the big screen. this one especially.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 1:20 am

Blood On the Tracks for 2 reasons: Tangled Up In Blue and Shelter From The Storm. Both remind me of people I once knew or places I had been and that's the essence of good songwriting.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 1:31 am

Dude- fer some rad Kristofferson flicks I suggest:

Convoy
Cisco Pike

But mostly just "Convoy".
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 1:54 am

I would add "Lone Star" and "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" to the list of quality Kristofferson pictures.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 3:32 am

My favorites change with time and whatever else I'm listening to (funny how Dylan can give other records context) Blonde on Blonde - sure (I think that may have been for my mom what Funhouse was for me growing up - hey, I'll ask her) The one I keep going back to is Planet Waves...starts out with "On A Night Like This" and ends with a "Wedding Song" that's uncomfortably intense. But mostly I put it on for Robbie's leads on "Going Going Gone" and to wallow in "Dirge" once in a while.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 5:34 am

Planet Waves is an incredibly important record to me for so many reasons. I love that record. I love Los Lobos version of "On a Night Like This" and unlike many people, I do not hate "Forever Young."

Driver... I bet your mom and I are pretty close in age...
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 11:10 am

Dude- fer some rad Kristofferson flicks I suggest:

Convoy
Cisco Pike

But mostly just "Convoy".

don't forget "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia"
and he wasn't really in it but his album plays a part in "Taxi Driver"
jackpenetrater
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 2:29 pm

J Cutler..Thanx for mentioning "New Morning" & "Pat Garret Soundtrack"-along with Nashville Skyline, John Wesley Harding & Infedels-these are among the Dylan's that I actually reach for and play.I do NOT-Hold them up as his "Best"..but they are very warm & musical -and "accesable".A "sleeper" for best..Maybe.."Blood on the Tracks"??...and as far as a "Sleeper TracK"-Maybe "Days of 49"-I think its a riot!!
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 3:08 pm

The live at Albert hall boot or official CD. It's the best. These live versions make the studio cuts seem, well, a little half-baked. But the live versions, whooo, not to mention he seems to be finding his new voice and style. Kinda wish he'd developed them this far before he cut'em. Even the acoustic songs are fresher with his new readings."HWY 61" and "Bringing it all..." are both great but suffer a little from sounding kinda thrown together. There are at least 2 or 3 on each that just sound like filler to me. Well, maybe not filler but definitely last minute jams masquerading as songs.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 4:28 pm

Times They Are A-Changin strictly for "Only A Pawn In Their Game"
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 5:11 pm

Although not my favorite, 'Desire' is right on up there. Beautiful songs, and they all seem to flow together. 'Oh Sister' is one of my favorite all time Dylan songs. I even like the dirge of 'Joey'...great driving song.
What's the record that has '90 Miles an Hour (on a dead end street)' on it? It's a record I'd never heard til last year...wasn't crazy about all of it, but that song is just chilling.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 6:07 pm

Yep squarehead, TTAAC is one'a my top picks too, and the first album I ever got into by him. All killer tracks!
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 9:08 pm

hey wait a minute. "rat's revenge" was recorded in 1966!!! so was the alarm clocks single!!! dylan head and shoulders above that??? and what about the standells and the seeds and the second sonics album??? are you out of your mind???
Posted: Jan 1, 2006 7:46 pm

'Street Legal'.

The jump-suit and eyeliner days.
Amazing.
Posted: Jan 1, 2006 8:02 pm

Fuck Dylan.... THE BAND!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jan 1, 2006 8:03 pm

The live at Albert hall boot or official CD

OK, first off I'm a big Dylan nerd so if we're including bootlegs, I would definitely put the Hollywood Bowl in 65 way up there. It's amazing to hear him testing out those electric songs before he's really comfortable with them. But the basement tapes are, as was mentioned earlier are always fun because they're so off the cuff. And there's a lot of great stuff from those sessions that is only on boots...
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 7:20 am

I can't believe that NOone here likes the last two ("Time Out Of Mind" and "Love and Theft")??? They are excellent records and very humorous to boot. Dylan is just growing more and more with age. Listen to "Oh Mercy" in addition to both of those and c'mon...you've got some great stuff. I don't have it on me at the moment, but one of the best lines from "Love and Theft" has Dylan singing about being a washed out star in the back seat with two young girls. As for "Time Out of Mind"...depressing as hell in a great way!

I can't count the times I've listen to "Ring Them Bells" off of "Oh Mercy" while drunk off my ass.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 7:22 am

Oh yeah, I've got a spot in my heart for "Infedels" as well. I think the only record that I wouldn't listen to at least one side would be "Self Portrait".
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 5:29 pm

I can't believe that NOone here likes the last two ("Time Out Of Mind" and "Love and Theft")???

Definitely! I can't think of anyone else still making music that I look forward to their new album as much as Dylan. Of course it wasn't really like that in the 80s. Oh Mercy is really good (that was the 80s right?) but there were some real stinkers like Empire Burlesque...
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 5:38 pm

Driver... I bet your mom and I are pretty close in age... oops, that was a little confusing. Theresa - my mom would be flattered, but I was a kid when Blonde on Blonde came out and Mom played it a lot, so I just kind of assumed it to be a real special record for her, but yeah, she was already married (but young) with kids at that point. I'd guess you and I are closer in age - I keep looking at your vintage photos for evidence of being at the same event back in the day (when you think about it, it was a pretty small scene) Anyways, I just hit 50 and mom still listens to Dylan (and Steve Earle and stuff like that)
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 8:51 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

Musically, it's a toss up for me between Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks and Bringing it all Back Home. Bringing it all Back Home is my favorite though, because of what a change it was in style and because of the subtle slight given to the british invasion by the title and the awesome power of the record.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 2:51 am

don't get me wrong khan - the last two studio albums - time out of mind and love and theft are brilliant albums and i have been known to play "lonesome day blues" on "repeat" for the duration of a train ride between boston and NYC...

i just think that BLONDE ON BLONDE changed everything for music, songwriting, producing, A&Ring, relocating to a totally different city to make a wild n crazy record. i like --- no i LOVE the way dylan works within the commercial system yet makes records HE likes regardless of whether or not we like them. i doubt he would get signed today, given the standards A&R guys use these days.

bob dylan satisifes each and every one of my guilty and not so guilty pleasures and preferences when it comes to music - i'm a closet folkie and he's the best at that; i love poetry and he's the best at that; i love the country influence and he helped morph genres to make a whole new kind of country...

dylan is just my fave. full stop. i can find something great about each album... Blonde on Blonde just happens to be my favorite record ever recorded

oh and driver -
I'd guess you and I are closer in age
we are! i'm 49 this year...but you pass for someone more youthful than i! because i am a crusty curmudgeon.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 6:12 am

Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:22 am

Zimmie is supposed to be dj on one of those outer space radio stations, anyone heard his show yet?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®