Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Chef's Challenge: In need of a GOOD hummus recipe
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:05 pm

Please post one that is truly delicious--soft, creamy, garlicky with the lil olive oil on top kind of deal...
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:43 pm

what's the name of that stuff that's like hummus but made with eggplant (i think)?
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:47 pm

Hummus is totally trial and error. Every recipe I've ever used is "wrong." They all have pretty much exactly the same ingredients, but if you get the ratio even slightly off, it totally changes everything. It's gotta be one of the most difficult items to make properly, despite its deceptively easy ingredients and recipe. Even middle eastern restaurants seem to have trouble making it right. My cousin in Israel says it's no different over there.

In a nutshell, all you need is:
3 cans garbanzos, tahini (3 or 4 tablespoons)
4-6 cloves chopped garlic (not too much- even if you LOVE garlic- it totally ruins the whole balance of flavors)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste (you can also add hot pepper flakes if you like it spicy)

Blend, adding tiny bits of (filtered or bottled) water a little bit at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. You can serve right away, but if you let it sit in the fridge overnight, it's much better. Make sure the stuff is at room temp when you serve. Just put a little well in the center and pour a couple Tablespoons of olive oil in the well. Add some parsley and a Kalamata olive or 3 for garnish. Serve with warm pita- preferably homemade.

You'll probably have to experiment with all of those amounts a few times to get it perfect. And even when you get the amounts exactly right, it won't taste the same way the next time you make it using those exact amounts. I think these items have some sort of weird chemical reaction with each other that is really testy, hence the inconsistency. Perfect hummus with homemade pitas has to be about one of the best foods ever, but it's very seldom found.

Good luck!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:48 pm

Baba Gannoush
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:48 pm

Lemon juice,garlic,CANNED CHICK PEAS(boiling them is a let down,and alot of work),good olive oil,cayanne,and less salt than you think it needs.Rule of thumb.......Less really IS more.I caught hell from those gay chicks at Squash Blossom for deiviating from their recipe,(overboard on the cayanne& garlic)but the hederosexuals told me they loved it.I think they were just beeing "man hateing bitches".Use less stuff and add on .Drunk can add,but Firey CAN'T take out.Bland hummus seems to be the croud pleaser.Do you use cilantro?What do you think about mint?How about japotle pepper instead of cayanne?Don't do all 3.LESS IS MORE!!!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:49 pm

What if I just wanna use one can of garbanzos--can you help with adjusting mesurements? (Thanks in advance)
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:49 pm

what's the name of that stuff that's like hummus but made with eggplant (i think)?

Baba Ghanoush. This is even harder to make right than Hummus, due to the incredible inconsistency from one eggplant to the next.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:50 pm

Linda, what am I doing without you?
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:50 pm

LES MOORE was a great sports announcer in Hawaii!

kinda like the scag winesack of college football announcers. fantastic.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:51 pm

Hugh ass is correct.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:52 pm

I like the idea of jalapeno hummus, but i just want good & plain the first go round. I like things garlicky though. I just don't like that bumpy too-thick hummus you get sometimes. I like it smoove as silk and oily.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:52 pm

Baba Gannoush

that's it! thank ya.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:55 pm

You got to wing it Girlfriend! Everyone do.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:00 pm

CANNED CHICK PEAS(boiling them is a let down,and alot of work)
You are SO right! Garbanzos are the one bean that's never worth cooking yourself. I've tried it and it was a nightmare. I cooked 'em for about 6 hours after soaking them overnight and they still didn't get done the way they should. I used them anyway, and I had gas that was so strong, it made me feel as though my entire digestive system was gonna be vaporized within my abdominal cavity.

I've never used mint in my hummus, but I've had it before where it was good and also where it was bad. I don't bother with cilantro, either. I'm sure I'd like most any hot stuff in there, but I don't know about adding chipotles, which are just smoked Jalapeņos, btw. Since they're smoked, they might add a weird undertaste. As you say, I think less is more when it comes to hummus. It's supposed to be really subtle, which is hard to do for me, being a fan of ethnic food (espcially Thai) that is so hot it makes my whole body sweat. But with hummus, it's best to let it do its thing.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:04 pm

Go to Kwik Check Deli on Madison. Order a gyro with hummus and extra habanero sauce instead of that cucumber tsatsiki shit. veggies are optional, but they detract from the lamby goodness. It will be your favorite sandwich for life.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:07 pm

get about 100 of those "sandwiches",scrape off the hummus,and there's your recipe kristen.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:08 pm

What if I just wanna use one can of garbanzos--can you help with adjusting mesurements? (Thanks in advance)

I'd adjust like this:
1 can garbanzos
tahini (1 tablespoon)
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
Juice 1 lemon and divide the total amount into 4. Add 1/4 of the juice to start and add additional teaspoons extra as needed
1 3/4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste (add tiny bits of this at a time!)
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:11 pm

Hugh Jass is correct once again.Fuck that cillantro-mint garbage.It's parsley&cayanne,but almost none!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:14 pm

I'm gonna go buy hummus at Kroger and tell people Hugh Jass made it!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:15 pm

I've always wanted to go to Tahini.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:16 pm

I hate to admit it, but the original Hummus at Trader Joe's is in the 90th percentile of all the hummus I've had- that includes the homemmade and the stuff I've had at Middle Eastern restaurants everywhere. You could do a lot worse than than Trader Joe's hummus.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:16 pm

get about 100 of those "sandwiches",scrape off the hummus,and there's your recipe kristen.

Yeah, I'd be happy with one of those joints. I haven't had one in 5-count 'em-YEARS.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:17 pm

1/4 teaspoon of day-old piss will have everyone envious of your kitchen prowess!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:20 pm

I can "roast "sessamee seeds in my butthole(rectum).That's how one visits tahini.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:26 pm

On the other hand, a middle eastern dish/salad that is nearly fool-proof (and easy to make) is Tabouli. It's a good thing to bring if you want to be a hit at a pot-luck with a "worldly" theme. (To be a hit at any other pot-luck, bring rice krispy treats.)

Whenever given the choice between tabouli and hummus at a middle eastern restaurant, I always go with tabouli. In theory, Hummus is the superior item, but when it's wrong, it's REALLY wrong. Whereas, tabouli is always at least pretty good.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:36 pm

I just like saying "tabouli."
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:36 pm

I make and eat a lot of tabouli, and the best I've ever, ever had was at selfridge's department store in london (how's that for name dropping or fancy store dropping, or whatever?). it was extremely heavy on fresh mint and other herbs, more green than grain, and utterly delicious!

in an hour, I am off to anderton's, which, while hummus and tabouli-less, is also awfully good!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:37 pm

I'm going there tonight as well. 2-2-2,4-4-4,6-6-6...
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:37 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

1/4 teaspoon of day-old piss will have everyone envious of your kitchen prowess!

So that was your secret! Delicioso!

and I hate hate hate tabouli. Blech.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:39 pm

i had tabouli AND the gyro w/habanero (no hummus) from kwik chek today! you're narrating my life! i win!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:41 pm

Winner.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:42 pm

and I hate hate hate tabouli. Blech.

Some folks can't deal with all of that parsley. I recall someone telling me once "all of those leaves in there are like wet pencil sharpener shavings!"
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:47 pm

That's because they don't know they like it yet.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:51 pm

i love that shit at the kwik chek. tons of lemon juice & garlic.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 11:02 pm

It just tastes like I am eating dirt with a touch of lemon.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 11:15 pm

It just tastes like I am eating dirt with a touch of lemon.

Try it with just a little bit of parsley and mint (or take 'em out altogether.) That would decrease the "dirt" content considerably. I think the leaves mostly provide texture and color, anyway. It'd be plenty good with just bulgur, lemon, garlic, tomato, onion, salt, pepper, allspice, and olive oil
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 11:24 pm

A little feta is good too, that's how they used to make it at Hattley's. Tapanade is also good.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 1:01 am

Mr. Quinn got that salt thooth.When are you coming back to mempho?Or have you & Brandon had enough already.I hope not.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 2:22 am

Hugh Jass, you must get tons of cunny with a recipe and kitchen know-how like that. Good work!
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 2:31 am

Hugh Jass, you must get tons of cunny with a recipe and kitchen know-how like that. Good work!

Dude, I'm married. All of my skillet skills are going to waste.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 2:39 am

Oh yeah. Is that how you got your wife?

I'd love to try that hummus.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 4:24 am

Oh yeah. Is that how you got your wife?

Nah. She liked me for my rapier wit and my skill at making balloon animals.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 5:16 pm

Now, the idea of feta in tabouli sounds like something I'd like. I am not a big parsley fanatic. So maybe if the balance was more toward garlic and lemon and a lot of feta...I'd probably enjoy that.

I am making hummus, SAUSAGE BALLS, rotel and peel em & eat em shrimp over the next four days.

Plus Yorkshire Pudding and dirty mashed potatoes for the Xmas din.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 5:38 pm

we're having gumbo on Xmas eve and steak on Xmas day!
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 5:41 pm

Ryan is making PRIME RIB. YES.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 5:48 pm

Man, we have this restaurant (aladdin's) in Columbus that I've been eating at like four times a week for the last two months - they have the BEST tabouli, hummus, baba, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME! They make these rolled pita sammiches with falafel, hummus, baba, and veggies, bake it for a few minutes and BADABING best sandwich you ever had. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I may skip xmas dinner and go there...
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 5:57 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Is their pita fresh? There is nothing like huge, fresh from the oven pita bread.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 6:09 pm

shit, i was thinking of LES KEITER!

sorry. but there was a Les Moore, too...

http://starbulletin.com/2003/01/11/news/whatever.html
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 6:52 pm

They make these rolled pita sammiches with falafel, hummus, baba, and veggies, bake it for a few minutes and BADABING best sandwich you ever had.

Are you sure they're using a pita for those roll-ups? A lot of middle eastern places that do the rolled falafel, rather than the standard pocket, are actually using Lavash, which is a an Armenian flatbread. It's like a thick, heavy-duty tortilla. They work great for the roll-ups. It makes the dish more like a falafel burrito.
Posted: Dec 23, 2005 7:14 pm

Is their pita fresh? There is nothing like huge, fresh from the oven pita bread.

YES! And they have this awesome vegetarian chili that I could give someone else's firstborn to eat right now.

Are you sure they're using a pita for those roll-ups?

Well, it looks and tastes like pita and they call them "rolled pitas" but it is a much thicker consistency than the fresh pita they serve with the meal...
Posted: Dec 24, 2005 12:20 am

For hummus I add approx. a tablespoon of sesame oil - the dark stout kind, not the light mild stuff. Also, roasted red peppers are a fabulous addition.
Posted: Dec 24, 2005 3:30 am

Ahhhh...I like the idea of adding sesame oil for a bit of something extra. I like that taste in just about everything though.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®