Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:20 am

I've just been looking at the script for Repo Man which gives the differences between the TV version (which I have on disintegrating VHS copy) and the Cinema version (the DVD I was planning to buy tomorrow). The differences are fucked up if it's true. The DVD/Cinema version misses out most of my favourite bits:
"We're sending bibles.....to El Savador"
The whole "Flipping General Telephones!" scene
The scene where the guy comes out covered in shaving foam when theyre repo-ing his daughters car.
"Lorna Doons? I love Lorna Doons!"
"The hemisperes are constantly at odds"
Even the scene where he signs away the car by accident!

Is this true? Does anyone have the DVD??????
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:44 am

I got it last year. Haven't seen the TV version, that I know of.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 4:15 am

hey shaun. did you ever name your studio? what kind of gear are you recording on? how are the now boys going??? real kids rule!!!
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 5:08 pm

kick out the james, Mellon Farmers!!!
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 5:25 pm | Edited by: JJ Champion

I haven't seen Repo Man on TV in years so I can't really comment on anything missing from the DVD/cinema version, but I do remember seeing at least two different TV edits. In one of them, they seemed to replace every instance of the word "fuck" with "flip," with hilarious results. As I remember it, the "John Wayne was a fag" scene went like this:

"John Wayne was a freak."
"The flip he was!"
"Flip you!"
"Oh yes he was you boys. I installed some two-way mirrors at his pad in Brentwood, and he answered the door wearing a dress."
"So? Maybe he just likes to watch his buddies flip. I do."
"Flip yeah I do."

...or something like that. But seriously I probably saw that like 15-20 years ago, so I don't know if my memory is accurate or if I just dreamt it.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 5:30 pm

I was really hoping the DVD would have the TV edit version on it as well, but my hopes were dashed. At least I still have my VHS copy taped offa the USA network or something...
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 5:32 pm

i think 'fag' became 'fool' for the tv version
this really was the best 'edited for tv' job ever done
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 6:08 pm

this movie, and fast times at ridgemont get 2 totally different versions when on TV..fast times has whole scenes that arent on the dvd, i guess to make it longer and not show boobies on the tube
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm

Some TV edits of The Warriors also have scenes that were never in the cinematic or DVD releases.

Same with Blazing Saddles, but if I'm not mistaken some of those TV edit scenes were included as extras on the DVD special edition.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 8:08 pm

it appears "the hand" is not giving interviews at this time. next stop oblivion. see you there!!!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Hi there, we didnt name our studio yet. We record on and old Studer 2-track wiv an 8-track mixer and a bunch of ancient stuff from a warehouse that sells old BBC equipment. Now Boys are on hold til I finish all the recording we been doing for other bands. We made three singles in the last two weeks: a single for the Hipshakes (who aren't as 6Ts as their name suggests but are pretty retarded punk rock), los Raw Gospels and the Subliminal Kids. Then we got a record to do for Boom Boom of Renton then a few songs with the Real Losers so we can get a comp track for a comp. Then John Wayne Gacy And The Sunshine Band are covering the Beach Boys 20 Golden Greats for some reason. After that I get to be in the Now Boys again. Oh shit, I'm playing drums in a surf band as well. It's confusing!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm

a record to do for boom boom of renton? what is it?
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 7:18 pm

i got the dvd. i'll watch it again to see.

did catch the "flip" action on tv, that was great. not the best, however- The Jerk changing the dog's name to SHIRTHEAD for tv audiences has got to be the all time best. I still use that regularly.

Was most disappointed that i couldn't read "plate o' shrimp" everywhere on the dvd- maybe higher def tv would help. but we watched it zillions of times on tape in the 80s and never had that problem. weird.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 7:22 pm

"The Repo Code!"
"Let's get sushi and not pay"
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 7:24 pm

"I wasn't singin, guy."

Zander Schloss!
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 7:29 pm

Posted: Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm | Edited by: Fungus Boy

New Repo Man "Special Edition" DVD out January 24, 2006. According to www.alexcox.com it will have an interview with Harry Dean Stanton, missing scenes, an overview of the production of the movie, and more.

www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99364513930504&searchID=4445 675&item_id=763291
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 8:31 pm

For years I was very aware of the "lattice of coincidence". It just seemed so true. I must have become a little less observant in recent years.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 8:36 pm

I hope they don't re-do the commentary that was on the original DVD -- I think it's one of the best I've heard on any movie (not that I watch many DVDs with commentary.) Worst by far is Conan the Barbarian. If California voters had been subjected to just 5 minutes of it, Arnold would have lost the election.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 8:37 pm

too bad the tv edit isn't included. that'd be killer, otto.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:35 pm

I think "My Bodyguard" is a pretty funny t.v. edit, and so is Goodfellers.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 10:25 pm

did catch the "flip" action on tv, that was great. not the best, however- The Jerk changing the dog's name to SHIRTHEAD for tv audiences has got to be the all time best. I still use that regularly.

Better still was when NBC showed "Silence of the Lambs" a few years back. I flipped to it right before scene where Buffalo Bill is getting all dolled up in drag, putting on make-up, and talking to himself in the mirror -- "would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me so hard." I figured for sure they'd just cut out that whole scene, but NO. They changed it to - I swear to god - "would you marry me? I'd marry me," and yes, even "I'd marry me so hard." WTF?!?

I used to say that shit all the time, and I recalling it now makes me think I need to start saying it again.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 11:16 pm

You don't know about pain! Me and Rarty Jonny prank called Vincent Gallo and made that voice. The real trivia is what is the song that's playing during that scene?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®