Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / place to play in portland?
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 6:56 pm

My 'group' would like a 'concert' in Portland. Give it up.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 6:59 pm

i thought airbrush broke up.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:00 pm

oh shut up.

What sort of group do you have?

i mean my band. My BAND! Headache City.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:06 pm

Sabala's.
Tonic Lounge.
Towne Lounge.
Dunes.
Food Hole.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:09 pm

norah, tell dave that sabala's is owned by THE sabala who used to work at emo's in austin. i'm sure he'd hook you guys up.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:09 pm

I know it's not a venue, but is The Alibi tiki bar still there?
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:10 pm

awesome. thanks!

Hey Dave, Sabala's is owned by THE sabala, who used to work at emo's in Austin. Yeah, THAT emo's. I bet he'll hook us up.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:14 pm

if you're on myspace you can find towne lounge, tonic, and sabalas pretty easy.
i recommend towne lounge, and i really recommend trying to hook up with a portland band that might be similar and have a draw to bring some folks out.
these are clubs in portland that do rock shows-

towne lounge
tonic
food hole
dunes
the know (only on weekends)
paragon
sabalas
porky's(maybe?)
ash street
berbatis
doug fir
acme (?)
loveland (all ages)
hotel (?)
bssanova(?)
holocene(all ages)
fuckin a , i've only been to about half these places.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:32 pm

The Alibi rules!
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:42 pm

Joe, why do you like Towne Lounge? I mean, it's a nice intimate affair but there isn't much else to say for it. No PA, one (?) outlet, hard to find. Hmmmmm, while I have always been treated well there, it always struck me a bit aloof. I suppose I'm used to drinking and seeing shows in a more bar-like atmosphere.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:43 pm

I suppose that same description/question could be applied to the Dunes as well.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:48 pm

Yup--Alibi is still reigning over a slightly gentrifying Interstate Ave.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:49 pm

I had my bachelorette party at Towne Lounge when it first opened and uh, it was OFF the proverbial HOOK.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 7:52 pm

fiery,

I'm not really trying to badmouth the place, it just seemed more like a locale for dinner theatre than a place I wanted to rock out in.

By the way, after seeing your pic on the Goner map, I swear to god I've met you before. I just can't remember where. I'll try to keep it to myself though.

I've been warming up to the Tonic lately.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 8:41 pm

Ahh, the Alibi! Ahh, the gentrification of North Portland! I guess I can't complain, I live in the Mississippi corridor.

Dunes is a pretty fun place to see shows- and, in my opinion, not hard to find at all. The shitty thing is that it's so small, if the bands playing are well-known AT ALL you can't get in the door. But they serve it up to all you minors out there.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 8:45 pm

By the way, after seeing your pic on the Goner map, I swear to god I've met you before. I just can't remember where. I'll try to keep it to myself though.

Maybe you were the guy who got totally naked at the bachelorette party and attacked my best friend on the dance floor?
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 8:48 pm

Dunes is fun when crowded and if you are wasted.

The gentrification of Mississippi Ave is really insane. The types of shops there are RIDICULOUS. It is really almost funny if it weren't really sad. The indie rock comics store? The hippie burrito palace? The fancy Italian deli? The "lil birdies and fawns" themed stationery shop? Whoa.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 8:52 pm

What the hell has happened in my former fair city? Ugh.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 8:53 pm

I know, I know. I don't feel too bad about contributing... I grew up on 17th and Beech in NE, and have lived off Mississippi for 5 1/2 years... My brother and I bought a house there about four years ago... when we moved in there was nothing!Now we're just counting the days 'til we can unload the house for twice what we paid for it. "Oh, hey- you just moved here from L.A. Cool. Working for Weiden + Kennedy? Sweet. I've got a house to sell you!"

Mwhahahahahahahahahah!
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 8:54 pm

"What the hell happened"

Claifornia.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 8:54 pm

What the hell has happened in my former fair city? Ugh.

Oh Cort. If you only knew. You will laugh/cry your ass off. We can go driving down Mississippi with Willie D blasting and see if we don't scare some newbies out.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 9:16 pm

I'll put my two cents in on the Towne Lounge. Whenever I've seen a show there it has been seriously under-attended, even when there has been a local band with a usually decent draw.

The stage is just about big enough for four people, and I don't remember the drinks being cheap.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 9:23 pm

Has anybody been to the Wonder Ballroom on Russell just off MLK yet? I'd never heard of it until I was flipping through the paper yesterday and saw that Echo & the Bunnymen were playing there tonight.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 9:24 pm

The Towne is okay, but I'd only recommend it because it's the best we got here right now (though I haven't been to the Know yet which I hear is pretty great). I've seen several shows there where the PA either couldn't handle it or didn't work at all. It seems to me that if you're gonna open a place centered around live music that getting a decent PA would be a big priority. The atmosphere is so so, the bar is slightly overpriced and they frequently run out of things. Chantelle has been there just a short time and promises to work out some kinks so time will tell.

The Tonic is a cool space, but the crowd is often full of backwards-cap-long-island-iced-tea types. Most of the staff has their head up their ass too. Their longtime booker is leaving so we'll see if things change for the better or the worse.

Sabala's a great guy his club is cool, but also very large so it's hard to fill. He'll always help out of towners when he can, especially if your from Texas.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 9:27 pm

I went to the bar at the Wonder, but not in the venue. The bar was a little too snazzy for my tastes. I hear they're already generating complaints from the neighborhood so we'll see if they last.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 10:08 pm

I'll be there by spring, fiery. I'll bring Geto Boys. Gangsta boogie!
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 11:01 pm

troll-
here's why i like the towne lounge-
1. chantelle is portland's nicest booker.
2. juliette is a rad bartender and did shots of tequilla with us when dark skies played there.
3. small room, small stage
i agree it's somewhat of a difficult club cuz no p.a., bad location, but like petey says, it's sort of the best we got.

the know is great, we've played there a few times, but they only book weekends so it's hard to get a show there.

sabala's is rock and roll, but unless it's a dead moon show i think that room is too big.when we played there with the champs it was cool, though.

i haven't checked out the tonic lately. last time i saw a show there it was all fuckin' joeys.

food hole has no drinks and is a show space, not a bar.

dunes smells like cocaine and has no cheap beer. but can be fun. usually i feel too clostrophobic in there.

we're about to play at the doug fir with the immortal lee county killers, so hopefully we can scuzz up the place a little with beer, sweat, and riffs. it seems like a yuppie bar for hipsters, but we'll see.

and cort, portland is a totally different town these days. there's still cool stuff but it aint a freak scene like it was back then. but there's always dead moon.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 11:03 pm

Hail Dead Moon.
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 11:25 pm

I hear they're already generating complaints from the neighborhood so we'll see if they last.

WHAT? We live in the neighborhood and the block that Wonder is on is claimed by Trece whatever, that Mexican gang (there are a few gangbangers in the housing West of Rodney) and Wonder is nothing but an improvement. I'd love to know who is complaining. Probably the same morons who shut down shows at Billy Ray's. I know who that was and where they live and thought of egging them often. Or it could be that ridiculous New Song Community Church. They might be angry at not getting to tear down the bldg for parking.
Posted: Dec 2, 2005 4:20 am

R.I.P.

satyricon
x ray cafe/ o hell
ej's
cap'n beans
twilight cafe
17 nautical miles
blackbird
grand central bowl
billy rays
porkys
slabtown

portland loses so many good clubs!!
Posted: Dec 2, 2005 10:59 pm | Edited by: destroyer

R.I.P. slabtown

Nope, it's back. I just played there last weekend. They got a new PA/new booker, though like always, they hardly have there shit together so if you got a show there be prepared to handle promoting it entirely yourself.
It may not be the most popular spot in town but I've always had fun there, it's a spacious & accousticly sound enough room, cheap beer/booze and laid back. So what if it's owned by the fuckin' wharholes.
Posted: Dec 2, 2005 11:41 pm

The staff the other night all told me that there's still gonna be live music there, but the owners being hippie/yuppie types they want a place that caters to them and their friends. I hear your show the other night was the first non-jam band show they've had their all month, but also likely the last.

the warhols never did own the place and they've been boycotting the place for over a year since their friend in management got the axe.
Posted: Dec 4, 2005 4:36 am

Alright, I think I'm heading down to the Towne Lounge tonight to catch Joe Silverking's One Man Gang. It's been a while since I've been to a weekend show there. Maybe my opinion of the place will be upgraded.
Posted: Dec 4, 2005 4:38 am

Joe Silverking's One Man Gang

Yell "King City" for me!
Posted: Dec 6, 2005 12:43 am

Yell "King City" for me!
I didn't have to. It was Joe's second song. Good show overall. Nice crowd. They even got 4 mics working at once for Seattle group La Rouge.

So, I guess I like the place.
Posted: Dec 6, 2005 11:59 pm

There is a tear in my beer for EJ's... Portland rock has never been the same.

I'm hoping the Know will take off & possibly inspire some more NoPo clubs to open their doors to rockin.

Towne Lounge wasn't too bad the other night. Cozy & dark= good, running out of cheap beer by the end of the show=bad. I'll give 'em another chance tho.

Sabala's is great but it's a big fuckin room. I've seen too many local acts just get swallowed up in there- they can't bring the noise to drown out the drunkards in the audience. It's really more suited to metal/thrash/punk stylings- you gotta have a real wall of sound to take the stage there. Saw Bob Log III there on Halloween & while he was fabulous as usual- it wasn't as good as seeing him at Satyricon back in the day.

The Doug Fir is a nice room- pretty good acoustics. Too bad it's totally overrun with frikkin hipsters. Everytime I go in there I wish I had a brick in my purse. I'd be taking out some trash fo sho!
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 12:01 am

I guess we are playing Sabala's, so you guys just have to show up and bring all your friends.
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 12:17 am

The Doug Fir is a nice room- pretty good acoustics. Too bad it's totally overrun with frikkin hipsters. Everytime I go in there I wish I had a brick in my purse. I'd be taking out some trash fo sho!
It is however one of the few places in town you can go out to and not come home coughing up a lung afterwards.
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 12:18 am

I guess we are playing Sabala's, so you guys just have to show up and bring all your friends.
When's the show?
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 12:20 am

March 24th I think....around then anyway.
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 1:02 am

It is however one of the few places in town you can go out to and not come home coughing up a lung afterwards.

Yeah... I suppose. But I'd rather be coughing up lung cookies with a group of folks who are there to actually SEE and LISTEN the bands playing than spend my good money to stand next to the beautiful people & listen to their constant commentary on everyone's clothes and hair. Regardless of who I've gone to see at the Fir- atleast 70% of the crowd seems to think they're at some sort of exclusive coming out party for the stylish & drunk and this nice band just happens to playing.
I don't smoke- but I don't hate smokers. I fucking hate the "see and be seen" crowd that place attracts.
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 6:58 am

everybody knows dark skies are outsiders. wonder what it will be like to play there.
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 3:21 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
everybody knows dark skies are outsiders. wonder what it will be like to play there.

Get a gig (somehow) and tear some shit up. I think I heard the booker used to work for Touch and Go so he should be down somewhere in his soul for insanity. But I think T&G long ago blew off the fact that they once released a Negative Approach record.
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 3:58 pm

fiery- we're playing ther 12/14 w/immortal lee county killers.
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 4:18 pm

Norah, you guys should play with the Moneychangers, if possible. They sound great and would be a good match with HCity.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®