Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / you know what's stupid?
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 5:10 pm

trying to quit smoking is stupid. i would give my left hand for a cigarette right now.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 5:27 pm

I quit 3-4 weeks ago - yewcan dewit!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 5:32 pm

last time i tried to quit was a week before the blackout, i think i made it a week or 10 days or something. then i smoked 52 packs in 3 days.

i was on my bike tuesday morning for a brief ride (from my place to north/damen) and was out of breath for easily twice as long as the ride lasted. it feels like there's cotton in my lungs.

that said i would sell my own eyes and the souls of my as yet unborn children for a smoke right now.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 6:11 pm

Seriously?
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 6:14 pm

you just might be in luck!! i collect eyes
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 6:19 pm

fuck it, i don't care that it's 22 degrees with 15 mph winds, i think there's a gas station on roosevelt that's not too far to walk. i'll literally walk a mile for a camel.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 6:28 pm

i like that commercial that Philip Morris puts out, with the guy looking at the internet, thinking "What I care about is the health implications", and the announcer has to break it to him that 100s and lights are still bad for you. He looks crestfallen. Hilarious!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Ah trying to kick the habit. Never a good idea Kermit. I gave up that idea long ago. Still try once a year or so just for show (or to appease somebody), but I know in my heart I'm hooked for life. Hopefully these unfiltered Camels will kill me faster. The less nicorette ads I will have to see, the better.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Ok, I'm gonna preach for a sec. I smoked hardcore three packs a day camel turkish gold for MANY years. I quit 3 1/2 years ago after several nearly fatal attempts and have never cheated since. Best thing I ever did.

...Although, I still wish I smoked sometimes. That's why I can't cheat. It would be all over and I would be back to 60 a day.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:12 pm

Good luck, man. I been wantin' to kick, too, but there's always this tiny voice in my head whining "But, I don't waaaaant to!", whenever it comes up.
Patches helped the lat time I quit (I was only on 'em for the first three days, but I didn't smoke for a little over two months. Also, I made sure to put the three bucks a day into a jar.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:13 pm

yeah, i quit for 14 months once then i was at the laundromat and watched all these people coming out of the store across the street and lighting up. i figured what harm can come of 2 cigarettes while i do my laundry? it was an off and on battle for two years and i've been pretty much smoking for the last two.

i caved, i walked down to that gas station. then i got hit by a fucking truck on the walk back. motherfucker was taking a right on red and never looked to see if there was anyone crossing the street. i put my arms out to brace it but it still knocked me down. fucker. my hip hurts.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Damn!

Was that before or after you bought the smokes?
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:17 pm

Before = Your drug filled craze blinded you from what's going on.
After = Jesus is angry with you.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:17 pm

I quit for a year solid once (a huge feat if you saw how many cigs I smoke a day) at the behest of an ex-girlfriend who didn't like the smell. As soon as we broke up, I walked to the store to get beer and cigs, and have been back to my 2-3 pack a day habit ever since. Hello, Death!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:18 pm

Ah. I just re-read that. Jesus wags a finger....

That would be a great ad for the front of a packet- 'smokers are more likely to get hit by trucks'.

I do hope that you're ok though.

Holy shit! That really sucks. I'm sorry, dude.

For the quitting thing, if you have good insurance, Wellbutrin really is what worked for me. I only used it for a month. I used to break down into non-sensical hysterics by noon every other time I tried to quit (and I am not a hysterical person) and I was able to do it with the help of drugs...
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:25 pm

it was after i bought the smokes. and i really do feel like i'm being pulled in two different directions. when i bought the smokes i figured i'm smoke a couple and give away whatever was left in the pack to whomever is at the bar while i'm doing laundry. so i asked the dude for a pack of camel lights and he gives me two, buy one get one free. satan doesn't want me to quit. then walking back to work, moments after lighting up, some junk man hits me with his F-250. jesus doesn't want me to smoke.

i just need to get through tonight, i'll be with non-smokers all day tomorrow.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:31 pm

kevin in chicago,
Don't worry about these folks. A little secret: we set up the religion thing a long time ago to keep them under control. Smoking really is safe, and we're not using it to control the population nor inflate the coffers of our buddies in the phameceutical industry. Smoking cures acne.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:34 pm

That's always been my rationale for not quitting. "Why should I quit? I could get hit by a truck!"
Damn.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:36 pm

Exactly. And we didn't kill you off so you could learn that lesson. Smoke away!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:37 pm

Man, that's so ironic (and tragic.) A lot of unrepentant smokers say stuff like, "Why should I quit? To avoid cancer and to live longer? I bet you if I ever quit, I'd just get hit by a bus the next day." I guess the bus was out of service that day.

Luckily, I've never smoked- not even once- so I don't know how hard it must be to quit. I always said that if I was gonna partake in a cool-looking vice that was both highly-addictive and potentially lethal that I'd go straight to heroin.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:43 pm

Luckily, I've never smoked- not even once-
I hate you, a little; but good for you, man. Seriously. I've smoked for twenty years now, and only had the little, two month hiatus. Kevin, you have inspired me. I just may try to quit again.

[little voice in my head]: "nooooooooooo...."
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:51 pm

Dood, that voice is still there all this time later - but now it's saying "WHY DID YOU DO IT?!?!"

But, then I just feel all superior and stuff and that makes it better :)
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:52 pm

i've been smoking for just about half my life now and my lungs can not take it anymore. nor can my circulatory system. my toes are always cold, like ice fucking cold, and my fingers take forever to warm up when i come in from outdoors.

but there are just so many times where a cigarette is the perfect compliment to what i'm doing. having a beer? great time for a cigarette! having LOTS of beers? better time for a cigarette! waiting for a bus, with a cup of coffee, and especially after a big greasy meal a cigarette is an esoteric delight. my all time favorite was smoking while reading a book but i decided i wouldn't smoke in this apartment when i moved in. but during the summer, in the park or on my front stoop with a book and beverage.... goddamn i love those smokes.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:57 pm

Shit, now I'm really starting to miss them. Why'd ya hafta go and do that? Throw in there writing (of any sort - music, letters, whatever) and talking on the phone, driving, and during a healthy argument, and I think everything is covered.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 8:10 pm

synopsis of the last time I quit:
Prep: Quit drinking for the first two weeks (Smoke, drink, willpower; you can have two, but not all three, and it eases the odds if you take another out of the equation)
Day 1-3: Used patch, (If I smoke, I'll throw up attitude)
Day 4-8: Stopped using patch (you're supossed to use 'em for a couple of weeks, but I imagined my balls were bigger than grapefruits). Thought about smoking ALL THE TIME.
Day 9-14: Got all uppity, and would talk non-stop about how great I was doing.
Day 15-16: Tested myself. Drank beer - o.k., Went to show and drank beer - o.k., Went to practice and drank beer - o.k., but very hard to do. Bought cigarillo to put in mouth, but never lit it.
Day 17-62: Did fine, but thought about it ALL THE TIME. Some days were worse than others. Even went on road trip to see family across the state. Which led to day 63...
Day 63: Caught 3 big storms driving from Knoxville to Nashville, and my son was car sick the whole way. Seemed like we stopped every twenty miles. Only rarely did child actually throw up outside car. Stopped in Bucksnort. Bought gas, coffee, lighter, and pack of smokes. Told myself I was taking a "vacation" from quitting. Have not quit since.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 8:33 pm

I quit smoking July 6th and still think about it every damn day.
Posted: Nov 26, 2005 12:46 am

Someting else stupid...
Why is the letter "Y" only "sometimes" a vowel?
Posted: Nov 26, 2005 1:12 am

OH MY GOD! Don't get me started on whats stupid or not. Whats stupid is these waiters who INSIST on making me wait 3-5 minutes for an apple martini. Geeze. Whats next? Waiting more than an hour on Pedro to fetch my dry cleaning??? I think not!

Buy my perfume!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®