Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / All-time favorite SNL cast member
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 1:01 pm

Time Meadows. The Ladies Man is one of the best movies ever. Plus, it has Tiffany Amber Theissen in some very sexy lingerie. Meow, meow! I can't remember any ladies I've liked. If you missed SNL last week with Jason Lee hosting, you missed a good one.
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 2:56 pm

the best of tracy morgan is pretty funny

"why dont you step outta that dress and give me some of that fat ass!"
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 4:03 pm

Brian Doyle-Murray
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 4:07 pm

snl is gay.
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 6:00 pm

Charles Rocket
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 6:26 pm

The geeky scientist guy they used to have on the news, back in the 80's (Eddie Murphy years, I think). He did the cards that had names for diseases, and was in Police Academy. What was that guy's name?
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 7:15 pm

Norm Macdonald
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 8:25 pm

Chevy Chase

and while he was never really a cast member, Andy Kaufman.
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 8:52 pm

Norm Mc or Mac donald - love the guy and forgot he was on SNL

But my SNL luv goes back to the first season probably because it was the season I first lived away from home and it was a dual "coming of age" thing for me - this kind of comedy and living on my own.... so, the Belushi/Ayckroyd combo remains my favorite SNL cast member. Alone, each was just fine - but together - whether as Killer Bees, or in the Greek Diner or the Blues Bros or with Steve Martin as those Swinging Guys, the Czech Bros., I loved their schtick
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 9:07 pm | Edited by: johnny guitar

Ellen Cleghorne. that bitch was hilarious
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 9:25 pm

Tim Kazarinski (or something ) was the scientist guy jack. I also liked Charles Rocket- cuz he said "fuck" and got his ass canned. for those of you who don't know, Charles Rocket recently slit his own throat. and not like a Bobby Fuller broke his fingers then drank gas kinda "suicide" way. the cat actually slit his own throat, weird.
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 9:59 pm | Edited by: dirk diggler

my next door neighbor was one of the standards and practices lawyers for the show and i got to go to see it in person the first season. diane cannon was the host i think and patti smith group was the musical guest. john belushi came out before they went on the air smoking a big joint in front of everybody. gay or what?
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 10:03 pm

As a kid, Bill Murray was easily my fave.
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 10:08 pm

I second Bill Murray.
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 10:16 pm

during the mid-80's i was a bartender on madison ave. and the 90's near where brian doyle murray lived. one night bill murray came in and there were no tables available so he stood by the cigarette machine and ordered a glass of red wine and some food. he ate standing up eating off the top of the cigarette machine. i gave him a second glass of wine on the house and he shook my hand and said "thanks. my name's bill." i was like "i know." he looked surprised. all these women kept coming up to him leaning all over him and stuffing their phone numbers in his pocket. then he left me a $5 tip. gay?
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 10:20 pm

Gilda Radner
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 10:41 pm

I loved Todd and Lisa w/Bill Murray and Gilda.
Posted: Nov 19, 2005 11:32 pm

I worked with a film editor named Bill Murray (not the same guy obviously) and he was listed in the phone book. One day, while we were working and he called his machine, he played back his messages for me - literally a dozen people called him a day, thinking it was teh SNL guy - and left compliments and invites to Lakers games and stuff.

I think Bill Murray as had the best post-SNL career of all of them. I loved that Nick Rivers character he created.
Posted: Nov 20, 2005 1:01 am

I second Norm MacDonald.

"Kenny G will be releasing a CD fully comprised of Christmas songs. Happy birthday, Jesus - hope you like crap."
Posted: Nov 20, 2005 1:02 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

My favorite Bill character was the a&r rep from Polysutra Records.

I think the name was "Jerry Eldini, Polysutra Records."
Posted: Nov 20, 2005 1:24 am

plus gay.
Posted: Nov 20, 2005 3:39 am

Wouls have been great if Hitler wasn't didn't die. I'd kill to see him host.
Posted: Nov 20, 2005 4:01 am

PHIL HARTMAN
Posted: Nov 20, 2005 4:09 am

Hey, Charles Rocket is on L&O CI right now. Creepy to think about him slitting his throat. This episode is about him wiring others up with bombs.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 1:12 am

The Ladies Man is one of the best movies ever

Return of theOperator? Well alright!

Brian Doyle-Murray

That's a much better answer! Any member of the Murray family is alright with me. Bill Murray!
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 5:33 am

The Ladies Man is one of the best movies ever

Seriously? That one of the worst movies ever made. You fucking like that shit? Are you fucking serious?

Time Meadows.

TIM!?
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 6:02 am

tie between Belushi and Farley. the best.

ct
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 6:21 am

gotta be eddie murphy, phil hartman, chevy chase. although i'd rather stick a pen in my eye then watch his movies, adam sandler had some great characters. but eddie murphy gets my vote
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 1:37 pm

Favorite cast member: NORM MACDONALD

Favorite charater: Was Martin Short as Jackie Rogers Jr
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 3:46 pm

adam sandler had some great characters.

Ya know what pissed me off about his characters? He always laughed at his own jokes. Opera man and his fucking "cute" little hannuka song, etc. He's only for dumb girls.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 4:00 pm

Yeah, there is a huge tendency for the "new" (since the 90's) crop of kids to crack up at themselves: Adam S., Horatio Sanz, Jimmy F. and Fred A. I don't think Fred Armisen is funny; he bugs the crap out of me.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 5:52 pm

The first responses seemed to be of the "ironic jokey" variety, and then it got all crazy.

I'd have to say the gay guy with big teeth, and the bleached flat-top that played Nancy Reagan and shit for like a season. But in reality anyone on the first season cast's worst stuff is better than the best of most of the later stuff.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 5:55 pm

Yeah, I loved the Replacements too. My best friend and I had gone to Antenna that night so we taped it. We got home at 3 AM and watched it SCREAMING so loud that her dad had to come down and tell us to calm down. We were 17.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 5:56 pm

there was a brief uptick in quality a few years back but they really seemed to get the wind punched out them when will ferrell left.

"I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!!"
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 6:37 pm | Edited by: bvalentine

BASTARDS OF BRAY!!!!!!

and from Wikipedia:
On January 18, 1986, the influential alternative group The Replacements appeared on SNL to promote Tim, their first album with Sire Records. In the past, the band had a reputation for indulging in alcohol just before their concerts, and as the show went on the air, the band did not hesitate to consume much of the beer in their backstage dressing room. When it came time for them to perform their first number, "Bastards of Young," they were clearly intoxicated and several cast members were unsure whether they could perform, unfamiliar with their history of performing under such circumstances. Their performance was later described as "transcendent" by music critic Robert Wilonsky, but lead singer Paul Westerberg would further aggravate their relationship with the show when he yelled "fuck" during "Bastards of Young." The band went on to perform one more song, "Kiss Me on the Bus," but at the end of the show the cast members did not bother to interact with them, reportedly because of their behavior. When Lorne Michaels later discovered that The Replacements had also trashed their hotel room, he demanded that Sire Records pay for all damages or else their entire label would be banned from the show. The Replacements are presumably banned regardless, and in subsequent rebroadcasts of this episode, "fuck" is censored out of "Bastards of Young."
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 6:43 pm

Sorry everybody, but the best musical guest was obviously FEAR.

"Time" Meadows? Tracy Morgan? I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Joe Piscopo.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 6:48 pm

The Elvis Costello one was pretty cool. Does someone have the FEAR footage online?
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 6:49 pm

Tracy Morgan is a fucking retard. he ALWAYS read directly off the cards, I don't know how he has ever got a job.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 7:19 pm

and from Wikipedia:
On January 18, 1986, the influential alternative group The Replacements appeared on SNL to promote Tim, their first album with Sire Records. In the past, the band had a reputation for indulging in alcohol just before their concerts, and as the show went on the air, the band did not hesitate to consume much of the beer in their backstage dressing room. When it came time for them to perform their first number, "Bastards of Young," they were clearly intoxicated and several cast members were unsure whether they could perform, unfamiliar with their history of performing under such circumstances. Their performance was later described as "transcendent" by music critic Robert Wilonsky, but lead singer Paul Westerberg would further aggravate their relationship with the show when he yelled "fuck" during "Bastards of Young." The band went on to perform one more song, "Kiss Me on the Bus," but at the end of the show the cast members did not bother to interact with them, reportedly because of their behavior. When Lorne Michaels later discovered that The Replacements had also trashed their hotel room, he demanded that Sire Records pay for all damages or else their entire label would be banned from the show. The Replacements are presumably banned regardless, and in subsequent rebroadcasts of this episode, "fuck" is censored out of "Bastards of Young."

I also remember the band members all switching outfits with one another between the first song and second song, and I'd swear that in "Kiss Me on the Bus," Westerburg was singing "kiss me on the butt."
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 7:22 pm

here's that replacements vid on SNL. edited maybe. you can see westerberg mouth 'motherfucker' or something. the sound kinda sucks:
http://www.myprontopup.com/2005/02/cool-video-of-replacements-on-satur day.html
follow the link, nya!
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Posted: Nov 21, 2005 7:34 pm

saxaphones suck
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 7:41 pm

I think my fave was Eddie Murphy. It's amazing how much that guy has "lost it" in terms of his hilarity.

One sketch I loved on SNL was on a show with Peter O'Toole hosting. The sketch had him doing auditions for the musical "Gigi" in a prison. Garret Morris auditioned singing the song "I'm Gonna Git Me a Shotgun and Kill all the Whiteys I See." One verse had him looking at O'Toole's secretary (Gilda Radner) singing the line "I'm gonna kill that white lady wearing that navy blue sweater." Genius.

I always liked Al Franken on SNL, too.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 8:42 pm

Images
by Tyrone Green

Dark and lonely on a summer's night.
Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
Watchdog barking. Do he bite?
Slip in his window. Break his neck.
Then his house I start to wreck.
Got no reason. What the heck?
C-I-L my land lord!
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 8:51 pm

Siobhan Fallon, a member maybe one or two seasons in the early 90's is now showing up in Von Trier films...Dancer and Dogville.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 8:59 pm

Garret Morris auditioned singing the song "I'm Gonna Git Me a Shotgun and Kill all the Whiteys I See." One verse had him looking at O'Toole's secretary (Gilda Radner) singing the line "I'm gonna kill that white lady wearing that navy blue sweater." Genius.

That was awesome.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 9:00 pm

I like the way Mr. Carvey used to do my daddy, but the other guy that used to do me wasn't as we say in Texas "polite".
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 10:22 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

The SNL ban on the Replacements must not have lasted too long. They were on again a few years later. I remember seeing them doing a great version of "Can't Hardly Wait" with a full horn section. (Or was that Westerberg solo performance I'm thinking of?)

I hope Westerberg gets to re-mix "Tim" and "Please to Meet Me" someday. Those albums are loaded with great songs, but they both have that godawful "80's gated reverb production," where the guitar sounds like it was being played around the corner from the rest of the instruments, which makes it a painful listen for me. I read somewhere that Westerberg really wants to do it, but the label has no interest in the project.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 10:24 pm

I hope Westerberg gets to re-mix "Tim" and "Please to Meet Me" someday

Agreed! I would always turn up Tim like it would make it sound better. Never worked. I thought it was my "stereo".
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 10:36 pm

that clip only has bastards of young, brad.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 10:48 pm | Edited by: skot

Norm followed very closely by Phil Hartman. Why didn't that fucked up wife of Hartman's (RIP) just fuckin' kill her own goddamnself?!?!
Posted: Nov 22, 2005 12:36 am

bastards of gay, brad.
Posted: Nov 22, 2005 3:43 am

I brayed before you gayed........
Posted: Nov 22, 2005 6:27 am

I have a video of that Replacements SNL appearance, "Bastards of The Young" is great. One of the best SNL moments ever, in my opinion.
Posted: Nov 22, 2005 6:33 am

have not watched the program in years, ever since "Mad TV" when I'm home on Sat night. Kinda liked David Spade, and early on Billy Crystal.
Posted: Nov 22, 2005 6:38 pm

Garret Morris auditioned singing the song "I'm Gonna Git Me a Shotgun and Kill all the Whiteys I See."

That was a take off on the old Show of Shows from the 50's when a polite, soft spoken matron from North Carolina came on with a smile on her face and performed the same song on piano except she did not say Whiteys. That was live TV and they had to cut her off as soon as they caught on. I'd love to hear that version too.

Phil Hartman makes me laugh more and more with each repeat. I like his smarmy, suburban dad characters.

The "Bastards of Young" performance was inspiring to us into that sort of thing back then. SNL had gotten very conservative and synth heavy with musical guests.

Chris Parnell was the morning announcement guy at my high school.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®