Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / "Issue" with my Marantz 2220 receiver in PDX
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 1:23 am

OK, please help refer me for this problem. Let me start by saying "FUCK BUYING ELECTRONICS ON EBAY."

OK, my new-to-me Marantz receiver is perfect except for that the left speaker channel is fucked. Sound comes out--barely--but it is all distorted and trebly. I tried everything (new speaker wire, the other wire from the other speaker channel, 2 other receivers that work fine) and it is defintely the receiver.

Does anyone know what this sounds like and where is the reccomended place in PDX to take vintage audio equipment? I won't go to Fred's Sound of Music. What about Audio Specialties or Inner Sound? Thanks in advance!!!!
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 6:07 am

Pull back or push in on the volume and balance knobs when using...you most likely have dirty pots. Turn the balance all the way to the bad channel, turn the volume up, and start throwing switches...like the mono/stereo, muting, and loudness switches. Sometimes that'll pop some life back into the channel. If you have sound at all, it should be dirty pots, and a servicer will clean them. Then again, worse case scenario, YOU GOT PUNK'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 3:18 pm

The guy that I bought it from is being cool and reccomended doing the same thing. As soon as other people in my bldg are awake I will try this out...

and what are "pots"?
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 4:44 pm

soon as other people in my bldg are awake

Aw, fuck 'em...

And to add to bradx's statement, "pot" is short for "potentiometer"; like the knob is in some wierd state of being of potential...
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 5:00 pm

...and that cross-dressing Jethro is up to his hijinx again...
Madcap, I tell you.
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 5:30 pm

Tried this and all I could do is get the fucked up sound louder. I am calling the guy back today and he says there is an easy way to clean these myself. If not, I gotta bring it all the way to "East Jesus" (as my mom used to call East Memphis and I am now calling East Portland...did anyone else parents in MEM say this????) to get it serviced. All this for a sexy receiver when the old 70's cheaper Sansui works fine. Sigh.
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 8:44 pm

OK, though the seller offered to clean it out for me, I think I am just gonna bring it into a shop. Anyone from PDX have experiences--good and otherwise--with Inner Sound? It is the closest repair shop to me. I have heard positive things about Audio Specialities and Echo Audio. Feedback please?
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 9:20 pm

I took my turntable in to Audio Specialities (on 102nd) and don't remember if it was the best deal or not but I was quite happy they brought it back to life for me.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 12:03 am

Got a 2226 sitting here with the same problem. I try to beat the hell out of but that didnt work so i used the canned air to no avail so since im poor, I just listen to everything out of one side...really fucking loud
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 12:30 am

That trebly sound with low volume you hear can also be a result of having the positive/negative ends of the speaker wire crossed into the incorrect input / output .
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 12:39 am

I made sure the +/- was right and yeah, I did the back & forth switcheroo for awhile adn all it god was louder trebly distortion, but not clear and as loud as it shuld be. So, yeah, off to Audio Specialties it goes. I may try the electronic contact cleaner thing first, so thanks bradx.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 4:33 am

Can someone please explain why the older I get, I cannot spell worth a damn while typing, like typing "god" rather than "did" and reversing letters all over the place? SENILITY!?!?!
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 4:38 am

Bird Flu
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 4:15 pm

Whew. If that is all it is, I am sure one of these doc's up here at work have a shot for it.
Posted: Nov 8, 2005 6:33 am

i got a marantz reciever too, theres some kinda short in it... i keep hearin this hummmm er buzzzzz sound,, annoying as fuck.
Posted: May 9, 2018 1:37 pm

What you have more than likely is a set of, or at least one shorted output transistor. I am currently working on a 2220 for a customer, and ahve swapped out the left channel output transistors. When lloking at it on an Oscilloscope (Yes haveing one of these helps a lot, but you have to know what cut-off distortion looks like), The Upper voltage excursion gets cut off early in the Volume profile, even after following the alignment procedure in the downloaded for free Service manual. There are no Relays in this earlier model, but a feedbad current sensor design that keeps the system from expending excess current. I suspect one of the transistors in that circuit also being poor, or leaky, and will come back & tell you when I find it. The output of ALL amplifiers is AC, so incorrectly connecting the speakers doesn't cause an issue, other than a phase reversal of the sound, and bad bass response due to the low end being cancelled out. It is purely a listening problem, Not a hardware issue. If you have a leaky output cap, passing DC, instead of AC, it will show up on the scope as a DC offset when measuring the speaker outputs on a DC setting, or you can simply hook up a dc voltmeter and see if there;s a dc voltage at idle, with no input at moderate volume. Scopes are cheap. I bought a 20 MHz one for $50.00 at a thrift shop last saturday, and you can get a reasonably good Tektronix for around $100.00 on ebay from a few silicon Valey surplus houses. I suggest you get one if you are going to work on thois stuff, along with an Isolation transformer to connect the AC supply to whatever you are working on. Keeps things from going Kaboom!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®