Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / Demon's Claws / BBQ Tour September 2005
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:12 pm

Here are the dates:

Sept. 1, Thursday: Boston, MA P.A.s Lounge
Sept. 2, Friday : Brooklyn, NY Union Pool Hall
Sept. 3, Saturday: Asbury Park, NJ Asbury Lanes
Sept. 4, Sunday : Pittsburgh, PA Brave New World
Sept. 5, Monday : Athens, OH The Union
Sept. 6, Tuesday : Cincinnati, OH - The Comet
Sept. 7, Wednesday : West Lafayette, IN
Sept. 8, Thursday : Chicago, IL The Empty Bottle
Sept. 9, Friday : Chicago, IL - Subterranean (BBQ only)
Sept. 10, Saturday : Milwaukee, WI - Onopa
Sept. 11, Sunday : Madison, WI The Glass Nickel
Sept. 12, Monday : Kalamazoo, MI - Kraftbrau
Sept. 13, Tuesday : Detroit, MI The Painted Lady
Sept. 14, Wednesday : Hamilton, ON - Corktown Tavern
Sept. 15, Thursday : Toronto, ON Trin-Port
Sept. 16, Friday : Toronto, ON - house party????
Sept. 17, Saturday : Montreal, QC Quai des Brumes

hope to see you there!!
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:48 pm

Now, how am I going to be able to go to that Athens show... This is a problem that must be solved!
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 10:33 pm

sweet! Sept 13th in Detroit, same day I have to be in court...just to let yall know, Dentist WILL sue yer ass if you don't pay, fucker!
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 1:49 am

No confirmed venue in West Lafayette?
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 2:15 am

not that i know of...
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 2:46 am

yeah the venue has been changed but i have no more infos for now...
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 7:37 pm

Hey WABASH, this gonna be at jerilees er what?
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 11:57 pm

How far along is the King Khan & BBQ / Black Lips itinerary? I see Magnetic Field is already listing it.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 3:45 am

I'm pretty sure Jerilees is confirmed
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 10:45 pm

The September 7 show will now be located in lovely downtown lafayette.
Most shows have been shifting locations at least three times in this town.

Some info on this flyer might change (time??)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/TeeJaay/UNTITLED1.jpg
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:28 am

Hey New Yorkers.... we would love to see you come out and see BBQ and the Demons Claws at Union Pool. I just saw that gas was $2.95 in brooklyn.... you ain't drivin' NOWHERE this holiday weekend.

Its only $5 to get in! and in addition to BBQ and Demons Claws, you can hear the Turpentine Brothers.

we gotta cool flyer too!

if enough people ask nicely, I will organize a hot dog cook-out before the music begins to start the Labor Day weekend off right
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:16 am

real cool buttpipe, thanks for throwin us on the flyer
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:08 pm

real cool buttpipe, thanks for throwin us on the flyer

There's no need for name callin here!!!....ass. Ill fixer up today.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:31 am

updated (and final) flyer for LAFAYETTE show:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/TeeJaay/UNTITLED2.jpg
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:12 am

you're a good man tj, I apologize
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:36 am

Heya Mark, me and 16 will be outta town this weekend so we're obviously bummed to be missing you. See you on Nov. 11th for the Penetration! fiasco with KK/ B'lips! have a great show duders!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:36 am

Posted: Sep 2, 2005 4:15 pm

TONIGHT
Friday, Sept 2

UNION POOL!!!
the Turpentine Brothers are also on the bill
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 4:21 pm

We'll miss alla you guys tonight. Have a great time!
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 6:29 pm

I guess Friday, Sept 9 will be BBQ/Demons Claws in Green Bay (not sure what happened to Chicago) at the Eagles Club with Leg Hounds, Shutups, and (possibly) Hue Blanc's Joyless Ones. All ages, come on out! Bar is 20 feet away w/ $.75 tappers!
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 7:56 pm

Hey Theresa, I'm bringing some dudez with me tonight, what time does the show start??
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 3:57 pm

hey todd ! that sound like fun ! can you send me all the infos at thedemonsclaws@hotmail.com !

thanks a lot and see you sooon !
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 4:49 am

I can't wait to see ya'll. LA FIN DU MONDE!
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 5:23 am

hey mike... thanks for coming. thanks EVEN MORE for entertaining the boys last night because they turned up at WFMU to play a KILLER set!
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 3:16 pm

Pittsburgh show tonight, i'm psyched.
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 10:03 pm

little bit o news:

the pittsburgh show tonight is cancelled. as is athens and most probably cincinatti, because our van is fucked and will not be fixed until early tuesday. this will mean a race to cinci, if we can leave early enough. sorry to all who care. disaster tour 2005!!!!
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 10:39 pm

sorry to hear about your van. call me if you need anything
Posted: Sep 5, 2005 9:40 pm

Yeah, van incident sucks. good luck on the rest of the tour.
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 5:53 pm

is the van working? i'm going to the empty bottle show and hope you all are back on the road.
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 5:55 pm

all seems fine. just did cincinatti.
empty bottle is a go. the friday show is a bit less sure. i thought it was in green bay, but there's now a big shitstorm.
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 6:08 pm

LAFAYETTE TONIGHT!!!
Posted: Sep 9, 2005 5:46 pm

Demons Claws/BBQ fun shows, good tunes, and nice people. make sure you go out when they come to your town, you won't be dissapointed.
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 10:34 pm

TOMORROW NIGHT!
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 2:33 am

Tonight, good times good times we love some good times, ain't no doubt about it.
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 5:22 am

please go and buy beers for my favorite canadien babies. i love them and i miss them.
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 5:30 pm

That was on strempth, a perfect night all bands made it nice. If you don't sing along to "Out Of Time" you might as well not even show up. Local teens Metal Teeth covered "Fish Fight" was fucking crazy. Demons Claws need new swear words, help them out Goners. And then the train came.
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 6:55 pm

Was there any docking?
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 7:59 pm

Now it makes sense, I thought I heard that word from the stage. My gift to ysael was shitdick.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 12:01 am

TONITE!
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 1:55 am

More lafayette pic's.....they just keep coming.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b299/BiggusDckus/temp/THEBEEF/
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 2:48 am

if you are in detroit and you are still at home reading this: GET YOUR ASS OUT TO HAMTRAMCK AND SEE THIS SHOW. if you can't go out, call up all your friends and make them go!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 7:15 am

Pretty fucking lame that BBQ didnt play. He WAS there after all. So there werent 100s of adoring fans there but what about us that DID pay to see him do his thing. What a dick.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 7:17 am | Edited by: april n

when rat traps were in hamtramck we played to 2 people!

what's the deal with shitty turnouts there? i heard that the spits played to less than 2 dozen people at the painted lady.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 7:21 am

i was talking to someone in D earlier tonight, trying to get people to go out and he told me that the papers just don't write about bands anymore - esp. out of town bands, and that the promoters have basically given up trying to promote the shows that way. maybe its way too much effort in that big spread out driving town to flyer the hell out of a show. i say it say it is a major major case of inertia and apathy.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 8:41 am

Sucks about the Detroit show.

The King Khan & BBQ Show, Black Lips, and River City Tanlines show on November 6th in Kalamazoo will be worth the trip but it's on a Sunday.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 1:06 pm

when we played the painted lady, they didn't even book any local bands to play with us or make flyers. the only "promotion" done for the show was me posting the dates on the gonerboard. it was the worst show of the tour and we wasted a weekend night on it. i would not recommend going there. it's just not worth it.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 1:31 pm

The King Khan & BBQ Show, Black Lips,

Have the tour dates for these shows been posted anywhere yet? I have to see this show...
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:00 pm

and that the promoters have basically given up trying to promote the shows that way. maybe its way too much effort in that big spread out driving town to flyer the hell out of a show. i say it say it is a major major case of inertia and apathy.

Yeah, Detroit seems god-awful for touring bands...but I do have to defend Timmy Vulgar w/ regards to promoting - he made great fliers for Spits show and Shop Fronts/Snipers show - and tells everyone to come out to Painted Lady...he DOES promote. Just seems like the scene there will not go see bands...really weird.

It's too bad...lots of good bands in that town and no one goes to shows...MAJOR inertia
K-zoo RULES though...
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:43 pm

The King Khan & BBQ Show, Black Lips,

Have the tour dates for these shows been posted anywhere yet? I have to see this show...

Tour starts end of Oct, will post dates soon...wil start new thread, need to confirm some lose ends...
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:57 pm

I cannot speak for BBQ or put words in his mouth and I'm sure he'll comment if he feels he needs to but add him to the list of people (and there's quite a few on that ever growing list) who have said "Fuck that town". The thing is he decided it before he played and not after. Demon's Claws still played and they were great. I've been into their music for awhile now but it was my first time seeing them.

I do have more that I would like to comment on the topic that has now been brought up in this thread but I have to go run some errands before 2:15 when I pick the kids up from school. I'll be back later to elaborate more on my thoughts and opinions of it later.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:05 pm

subterranean has kk/bbq, black lips show listed on 11/4/05 apparently it's a "Billiam's Birthday Bash".
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:11 pm

COLUMBUS, OHIO!!!!

As you can see, that's what I'm screaming...
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:48 pm

when shitholes like the lager House are hosting local hip-hop and techno dj's on weekend nights over live bands (and when they do have live bands are fags like the Grand nationals) its safe to say that the music scene is dead.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 7:19 pm

all i know is that I generally have a five to six hour round trip to go see any show, either in kalamazoo or detroit, and I still make it though I'm broke and have to bum rides. Kalamazoo is actually farther away but I know I'd rather see a show/play a show there than detroit anyday. What's the population of Kalamazoo?, its probably a tenth or less than Detroit but the turnout is better, and the "scene" is still growing from what I can gather.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 9:09 pm

even timmy vulgar didn't show up.....maybe he had to work or something, i'm not really holding it against him......i just wouldn't offer to set up a show and then not put any other bands on the bill (who might make a flyer) or promote it myself. it puts the touring band in a really shitty situation. thanks to kosta for buying two t-shirts.........one good thing about the painted lady was when they gave us 20 drink tickets.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 9:38 pm

The drink tickets were great! But the big fight after the show was horrible.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 9:56 pm

this was in no way a question of how many people were there. gimme a fuckin break. i have been playing music for a while and have played for less people, including on this tour. the demon's claws got 10 bucks, there were NO posters, people were being let in for free left and right, the bartender was 'cool' and the overall attitude was super-jaded, super-cool bullshit. nobody knew about this show. dale: you REALLY wanted this show, but then gave it to Timmy and then say he dropped the ball. if detroit IS really this sad, fuck it. and sorry to all the 'bad-ass' hipsters who had shit to say after the show: you think your night sucked? try being in a band. try all this shit plus no word of a guarantee. try gas prices. try being made to feel like this situation is somehow okay because it happens all of the time. i am not your fuckin puppet. i have my own code. i do whatever makes me feel better about a situation, negative or not. sorry. fuck hipster bullshit. sideways.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 10:55 pm

the demon's claws got 10 bucks

Come to Florida. Demon's Claws made out a lot better than that in the spring.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 11:23 pm

Don't want to get into the politics side here, but the K-Zoo show as a BLAST! Thanks again, everyone!
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 11:45 pm

I've been involved with doing show and such in that city for almost 15 years and I've seen highs and lows. It's at an all time low right now. I had pretty much given up that aspect of when Tim got involved with the Painted Lady and decided if friends or bands I knew wanted to play Detroit I would send them Tim's way cuz "Cool, a place that actually cares about music in this town again over the "will it be packed" bottom line and hipster crap (something that had seemed rare since the "Gold Dollar days"). Since I am 60 miles out of town I haven't been able to do all the promotion I could but since I was the guy simply contacting a place these days I figure it was good to put them in Tim's hands because he's a good cheerleader and gets the word out. But the shows have been sparcely attended. After the last couple of shows there that I was somehow "involved" in I started to realize that my initial thoughts about not dealing with that aspect were right. I set up the Demon's Claws and BBQ gig before I came to this realization.

Even though I am so far out of town I still did my best to get the word out (driving my car and paying for my gas to drop off flyers at places in Detroit, mailing a ton of them to the bar-I don't have any idea why they didn't put them up-so they could pass them out, contacting everyone I knew who might be interested in going days before and the night of the show-even stopping by some of their houses before the show and trying to get them motivated in going) but to no avail. That's a whole helluva lot for someone that has no gain involved at the show other than wanting to see a decent band. I'm not making excuses and I am not apologizing. Not once, Mark, did I give you a line about it being "okay cuz it happens all the time" line but you were in one of your pissy Mark moods which many of us have seen many of times so I figured "Fuck, looks like I dug my own hole." If anyone felt bad about the show being as much bullshit as it was-it was me. Despite what your thinking right now Mark-We've known each other long enough and well enough to know that I DIDN'T set this show up to have it fall on its face and did it for no other reason in hopes that it would be an awesome time and a great crowd. Since people chose to do other things...I guess that's my fucking fault, huh? As far as guarantees were concerned I got an email from someone claiming to be the bands "booking agent" (why he didn't book the tour I don't know) weeks after the show had already been confirmed and situated...An email I forwarded to the Painted Lady as well as printing out a copy and mailing it to them. I also explained to the "booking agent" that I was just a go between, had nothing to do with the show other than securing a date at the club and that all concerns show be directed to the bar or Timmy and not me.

Detroit is pretty spread out and most show promoters these days depend on their ads in the weeklies to get the word out. And, really with the sprawl the area has it is the best way to do it. So, on top of what I did-an ad for the show was in the two most widely distrubuted weeklies listed up to two weeks before the show happened.

Another thing is that the city's music scene seems to be in a shift. All the bands from the heyday of half a decade ago are either on tour or don't play all the shows they used to. Or if they do they want some huge guarantee. (For example-a certain band in Detroit said they wanted $1000 to play the Fatals show at the Painted Lady. ONE THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS. They place only holds about a 100 people so if they charged $10 a ticket the Fatals still wouldn't have gotten shit). Also a lot of the people who used to come out to those types of shows are five to ten years on in their lives. Things like careers, jobs, wifes, kids, expendable income, not caring about every band that comes through have taken it's toll. The "kids" that are coming up seem to not care about rock-n-roll much these days (hence TKRichards point of the Lager House hosting dj's on weekend nights instead of live bands etc and the poliferation of noise bands and emo wusses). Also, the couple of bands I asked if they'd be interested in playing would either be out of town, didn't want to play on a Tuesday or wanted a large sum of money which would be hard to promise because it was a Tuesday night.

If the chance to book the show would've came to a couple of weeks later I would've told y'all to never mind or go with someone else. I can pretty much guarantee ya that unless you were opening for say, the Dirtbombs or one of the other bigger bands it probably would've been the same. I've tried to tell myself a 100 times over the past year or so that it things would pick up and get better but all it's gotten is lamer.

Yeah, Kzoo kicks ass. Hell, even in Port Huron we get better crowds and none of that hipster bullshit (cuz it's a hick town) these days AND we can pay guarantees up here (I dunno how Matt in Kzoo does but what little things I've done with him he seems to be a stand up and honest guy) but we can only do weekends up here.

In a nutshell, when people approach me in the past few months about helping them with a show in Detroit (yeah-I know I contacted you, Mark, about a Detroit show AFTER someone posted something on the internet about needing a show in the area) I tell them that they're better off skipping it or playing Kzoo and Port Huron instead. If they still wanna do it I've been forwarding contact info on to them. Maybe they can play the Lager House and after the place takes their cut to pay the doorman, soundman etc you MIGHT see some money or maybe they can play the Magic Stick to an empty room except for some haircuts and nice shirts (unless they are opening for a bigger Detroit band) or they can play a place like the Painted Lady but I, for the most part am done with setting up things down there.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 12:05 am

You guys only got ten bucks? I paid to get in (though I didn't have to). Makes me wonder who else paid to get in cuz there were more than 2 people there. That is fucking rotten! Put a fork in that town cuz it's done.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 12:13 am

man, we even got paid $20 at the painted lady and i don't think anyone was taking door. we never could figure out where it came from.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 1:01 am

blame Dale
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 2:07 am

i paid to get in too. Was Chickaslimshady there? maybe they got in for free. what a way to support the scene dude.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 3:19 am

Was Chickaslimshady there?

I was wondering the same thing.

Yep...blame me. What the fuck ever dude.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 3:20 am

my all-purpose saying for when things go wrong: its the Bush economy.

does that work for you all?
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 4:37 am

Detroit aint the end all and be all that people think it is either.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 5:51 am

Dale ain't nothing but kind. Read his treatsie on Lord Byron up there, he fuck ing cares.

Dale, Luxury Rides in Kalamazoo should happen soon. don't know if there will be any coke availabe for their rider but might be able to substitute $2.00 off coupons for Olde Country Buffet.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 5:59 am

WOW! MARK SULTAN'S PUSSY WAS HURTIN SO HE PULLED A TEMPER TANTRUM LIKE A LITTLE GIRL? CONTACT THE MEDIA. THEY'LL BE SHOCKED.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:04 am

Also a lot of the people who used to come out to those types of shows are five to ten years on in their lives. Things like careers, jobs, wifes, kids, expendable income, not caring about every band that comes through have taken it's toll. The "kids" that are coming up seem to not care about rock-n-roll much these days (hence TKRichards point of the Lager House hosting dj's on weekend nights instead of live bands etc and the poliferation of noise bands and emo wusses)

us "kids" dont really like the rock n roll cuz THERE ARE NO ALL AGES SHOWS HERE, EVER. 16 yr olds dont wake up one morning and go "you know what? fuck me some Warped Tour. I'm gettin that KBD comp in the rekkid shop." Yeah dude, playing in shitty bars sucks. Try being a teenager and going to shows in these bars. They're the ones with the $$$/time to fund all this shit. Aint no babies to feed. No good venues. No good radio play. No good hipsters. Urban fucking wasteland. Detroits problems are Detroits problems. Dont shit on the couple of people that are trying still(getting $10 aside).

and kzoo owns the state as far as I know. and that's cuz dorbin and co do their homework. He's on the radio right now playin some Ponys in gear up to next weeks show.

Useless, I just happen to run coke clear 'cross I-94 for $2.00 OCB coups.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:39 am | Edited by: dale

Hey "kid",

I was readying for bed but figured I'd see what the wise arces would post before I checked out for the evening. I KNOW where you are coming from. I grew up in one of the biggest small towns in the state. It was no fucking field day. I would LOVE to do all ages show but the places that do those type of shows in the Detroit area are either ClearChannel venues or are half assed run places that make the type of places that are contention in this thread look like Vahalla. I've done tons of all ages show in halls, basements, backyards. For the most part it's been a bunch of snots with their arms crossed and not caring because the bands don't sound like Saves the Day (or in my youth-The Cure or Depeche Mode or whatever). I believe their is hope cuz look at the bands that have come out of Wisconsin the past few years. They're all of age these days but when they were younger they were able to see bands like Teengenerate, the Rip Offs etc and took it from there. I ain't shitting on anyone...far from it. Educate yrself before you fly off the handle and start venting on random folks. I believe there is hope but it's hard to keep a look at the brightside attitude sometimes. I've never been this shit to make coin...just to give people some good rock-n-roll and have some fun. I wasn't the one who started the bitching...I just stepped in to defend my self and explain where I was coming from. Having flipped out off one sentence it doesn't reflect well on "the kids" (not too mention it's your first post ever). Are you one of the Metal Teeth boys? I keep hearing good things about that band. Honstly, I'd rather see some kids doing something wild and rock-n-roll than seeing the same old going on 30 (and or plus) with yet another side project expecting love, praise and fame doing it all the time. I know it sucks feeling like the only one who cares wherever you are...but to be honest with ya...YOU PROBABLY ARE!

Fuck...this is Goner..."IF the kids don't hate it-It ain't rock-n-roll"

Useless Eater,
I'd love to see a Luxury Rides show as much as you. They never played a live show. It was a studio project. If somehow you could get them all together for a week (Joe and Nick are in the Detroit area, Wes is in Chicago these days and Choyce is in Montreal) and have them bone up enough material for a set it would rule! J
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:43 am

Also a lot of the people who used to come out to those types of shows are five to ten years on in their lives.

that doesn't stop people down here! i have just as much fun (or probably more) than i did 10 years ago. if gas wasn't so high and i didn't live in the middle of nowhere, i'd be at every show that comes through. there isn't a very young scene in memphis, and there's always a crowd out. getting older isn't an excuse for getting lamer.....
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:48 am | Edited by: dale

April,

I turned 39 this year. I have two kids, two cars, house payment etc...I'm not saying it's a viable excuse but alot of people use it so I was using it as an example why...Maybe the honest truth is that not many people give a fuck about the most of the bands anymore. Other than knowing Tim I have no association with the Painted Lady or any other venue in Detroit. I'm not defending why the town is lame-I am just speculating reasons why...I have way more fun and less worries when I go out to a show more than ever (and I live way out from where the stuff is going on too) but some people feel they have grown out of it or something. Personally, it's one of the things that keeps me young (as with a lot of the more "mature" folks here).
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:54 am

"getting older isn't an excuse for getting lamer....."
Some of us are older. Yep. Some of us have kids, too. Do you? Our old asses love music, and try to get out when we can.
And from what I can tell, the"young" scene is growing here, too. Peeps younger than me, anyways...
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:54 am

sorry, that was a Memphis rant.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:00 am

No hatin', either April. Definitely want to finally see some Rat Traps.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 4:01 pm

hey 'powersquat' - i'll assume you know me on a personal level if you are coping an old band name of mine. you wanna be a tough guy? let your pseudonym down and i will DESTROY your pussy. you think you're fuckin cool? tell me who you are and we'll see. i'll fuckin smash your fuckin face, nerdo.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 4:08 pm

I love bein old! Whoo-Hoo! (& fat,crippled & broke! Allright!) good times, goodtimes...
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 4:13 pm

a lot of you hate me - and that's fine by me. i ain't here to be your friend. don't need em. if you don't like my music, that's fine, too. if you are in a band and like getting walked all over, that's your choice. i, personally, don't enjoy it. my 'temper tantrums' are notorious, are they? good. you welcome mats are ruining things for all of the other bands - clubs will keep treating us ALL like shit if you make it okay to do so. dale - all i meant was that you wanted the show even though someone else was gonna book it over there and then passed it along. yes, we got a booking agent because i was too busy to finish it all up (i will be travelling until next year). i guess i am a sell-out, too. anyway, keep talking shit, dale. i didn't slag you. but guess i am the jerk here - not you.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 5:19 pm

getting older isn't an excuse for getting lamer.....
sorry if that came out wrong.....i really didn't mean it to be mean....

mark>>i thought you were rad when we hung out in montreal......one of the nicer guys i'd met in awhile
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 5:25 pm

"i really didn't mean it to be mean.... "

I know you didn't April. And you weren't. Elderly, knee-jerk reactionaryism (I just made that word up) on my part.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 5:31 pm

you welcome mats are ruining things for all of the other bands - clubs will keep treating us ALL like shit if you make it okay to do so.

This sentiment applies to anyone in any business where the payment terms are left to be negotiated - and if you are a freelancer, as I am, I think you have a duty to yourself and your freelance comrades NOT to be welcome mats, or to undercut bids so outrageously, etc. because it is incredibly counter productive for the workers in your craft at large to compete with people who send signals that it is OK to work for free, take huge pay cuts, etc.

I'm not saying this as part of the discussion on the Detroit BBQ Demons Claws show - but in general, because it is a universal issue that I see each and every day.

I agree with Mark here a million percent on that point.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 6:54 pm

geeez

chicago was fun

here's some photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canderson/

cheers
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:38 pm

i guess i am a sell-out, too. anyway, keep talking shit, dale. i didn't slag you. but guess i am the jerk here - not you.

Didn't say you were a sell out...Didn't come here to slag ya either...Maybe it was the syntax that confused me. I'll see ya in Kzoo. I guess we can discuss it then.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:43 pm

I'm ready to sell out!!! Where do I sign!
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:54 pm

dtrain got a variety show on LOGO?
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:07 pm

should've came to Pittsburgh
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:11 pm

Nope. All the crew flaked out. Said they had jobs to attend or some such nonsense....
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:29 pm

Dutch has experience on a cable access call in show where he wore an alien mask and talked about planets made of concrete and something about the culvert pipes. When 2nd movie getting shot in Kalamazoo in 2 summers starts next weekend I'll try to steal some grip cards.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:31 pm

I respect Mark's decision. I know the fans are sad he didn't play but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. What Mark chooses to do for a crowd is not manditory. It's his choice. I walked out on a gig 2 weeks ago. (a doo wop group I'm in, not reigning sound)The rest of the band wanted to stay. But the guy didn't want to pay us. 5 star restaurant. He offers us a bowl of meatless spaghetti in place of getting paid. I left them to do it accapella. All the singers are still mad at me. I don't give a shit.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:35 pm | Edited by: tahrab bin urgez

you get your grip card cause you study real hard
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:58 pm

I'm not saying I disagreed with what Mark did either...I was defending him in my first post way up the page now. Then I had to come in and defend myself because of some assumptions and so on. So now the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Whatever...
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 10:36 pm

Stop whinning, Dale. It doesn't suit you. Then again-that does seem to be the theme of this thread now. I just thought it was lame that BBQ didnt play.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 11:01 pm

dale,
sorry, I was trying to imply there need to be more people like you around here, not that the area sucking is all your fault. Youre still trying at least. Detroit is fucked up from top to bottom, and I totally understand why bands don't want to come here, as much as I don't want that to happen.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 11:15 pm

Honstly, I'd rather see some kids doing something wild and rock-n-roll than seeing the same old going on 30 (and or plus) with yet another side project expecting love, praise and fame doing it all the time. I know it sucks feeling like the only one who cares wherever you are...but to be honest with ya...YOU PROBABLY ARE!

i didn't see this at first and i suppose this is directed at me... once again, don't book a show if you don't like it! easy as that. and i ain't expecting fame or praise, just a modicum of respect (from clubs and promoters) for someone sacrificing their life(style) to play rock'n'roll. if you honestly think i am out for fame, you don't know shit about me at all - be fuckin realistic.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 11:15 pm

and yes, the metal teeth are awesome.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 11:32 pm

Honstly, I'd rather see some kids doing something wild and rock-n-roll than seeing the same old going on 30 (and or plus) with yet another side project expecting love, praise and fame doing it all the time. I know it sucks feeling like the only one who cares wherever you are...but to be honest with ya...YOU PROBABLY ARE!

Uhh...It wasn't and you know it wasn't. I've taken this whole debate off list Mark...We can hash it out via email...
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 11:47 pm

dale,
sorry, I was trying to imply there need to be more people like you around here, not that the area sucking is all your fault. Youre still trying at least. Detroit is fucked up from top to bottom, and I totally understand why bands don't want to come here, as much as I don't want that to happen.

Sorry, kid. I've been a little testy the past couple of days. It's cool...
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 1:17 am

I've taken this whole debate off list
it was sweet seeing a good old fashion dale rant though. Its been awhile. now, when the hell are you going to update your site?
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 3:24 am

i wouldn't show up for work if I wasn't getting paid! would you!
FUCK-THAT!

(a doo wop group I'm in, not reigning sound)The rest of the band wanted to stay
What group is this, a cover band?
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 3:57 am

The Dorchesters. It's all 50's doo wop. And, I didn't mean my comments to take sides. Just a matter of poor circumstances. I know you guys'll work it out.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 4:17 am

i wouldn't show up for work if I wasn't getting paid! would you!
FUCK-THAT!

So where's my royalty checks been the past couple of years then? That moron that mows my lawn has been bugging me about getting paid for months now.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 4:21 am

it sucks to not get paid if you're on tour.......if the painted lady doesn't want to charge for shows, then they really should quit booking out of town bands. it's just not fair......especially now that gas prices are sky high.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 4:41 am

i didn't see this at first and i suppose this is directed at me... once again, don't book a show if you don't like it! easy as that. and i ain't expecting fame or praise, just a modicum of respect (from clubs and promoters) for someone sacrificing their life(style) to play rock'n'roll. if you honestly think i am out for fame, you don't know shit about me at all - be fuckin realistic.

sounds like a description of 80% of the bands in the Detroit scene more than anything else.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 4:57 am

and who the fuck would even expect a $1000 to play a place as rinky dink as the Painted lady. enquiring minds want to know.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:34 am

and who the fuck would even expect a $1000 to play a place as rinky dink as the Painted lady. enquiring minds want to know.

a big part of the equation is that people acting as "booking agents" don't know their market place or their bands' ability to draw. they shouldn't be in the biz of booking bands, yet they still do.

in NYC, no one gets paid at the lakeside lounge. BUT they know that going in. people still play there. local bands at any rate. and steve earle cuz roscoe is in his band
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:49 am

It was a local band who have a draw but I don't think it's that big of one. Here's a hint for ya though. They've done two albums for a Pittsburgh based "garage" label and they aren't the Paybacks.

Damn! Could this thread just die off now?
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 6:06 am

so are the curious running off to gethip.com right now to try and figure this out? dale.... now you're perpetuating it! you gotta kill it.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 2:47 pm

its true detroits young kids are bored with rock music thats too "rock" if u know what i mean. Human Eye draws really well as well as the bands they usually play with like tentacle lizardo, lee marvin computer arm, terribletwos, but these bands can play with a "garage" band or a "noise" band either way.
I suggest that everyone who dosent wanna go to detroit to hit kzoo and then ann arbor. Ann Arbor can throw very good house basement shows.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:03 pm

i dont get detroit, im only about 2 hours away and barely ever go there for music. last time i did, the spits played to 50 people or so. the opening band didnt show up and the spits didnt play until about 12. i thought of moving there when i finished high school, but decided to stay in kalamazoo for a number of reasons. thanks to bbq/demons claws for coming to town, thanks to other bands, thanks to dickels
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:11 pm

BBQ was great last night in Toronto. Played a bunch of songs, cracked some good jokes, chugged a bunch of Cool beers (really vile hemp beer, don't know how he did it), and kept the crowd entertained all the time.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:29 pm

Well be expecting BBQ and/or Demon's Claws in Pittsburgh, sucka! I'll be fighting your van, as well.

Now lets microwave some lightbulbs.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:40 pm

So where's my royalty checks been the past couple of years then? That moron that mows my lawn has been bugging me about getting paid for months now

The only horn you could ever blow was MINE! Damn, those were the days. I spent your checks on bic razors and cigarettes! Send the lawn boy over to my place after yer done with him!
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:44 pm

it sucks to not get paid if you're on tour.......if the painted lady doesn't want to charge for shows, then they really should quit booking out of town bands. it's just not fair......especially now that gas prices are sky high.

I drove to KZoo to see BBQ/Demons Claws (from saginaw) a and a half hour drive or so. It cost me all of the 30 bucks I put in the tank in gas to drive there and back...keep in mind this is a little ass car that gets GREAT gas mileage. Not some van or soemthing.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:49 pm | Edited by: Bob Seger

a and a half hour duh
2 and a half hour drive
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 7:05 pm

Worth the drive.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 8:07 pm

It was a local band who have a draw but I don't think it's that big of one. Here's a hint for ya though. They've done two albums for a Pittsburgh based "garage" label and they aren't the Paybacks.

you have got to be fucking kidding me. if the band you are talking about are getting that much how much are the BIG bands with actual fame and big fanbases (and are worth it) getting?
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 9:35 pm

you have got to be fucking kidding me. if the band you are talking about are getting that much how much are the BIG bands with actual fame and big fanbases (and are worth it) getting?

I know who he's talking about and they DO NOT get that when they play outside Detroit, trust me. They don't even draw that much. I think their agent thought they could ask for that much based on the bigger tour this local band was on/had been on w/ a HUGE headliner and also because when that band played a certain festival... they got $3500 (just like everyone else did)

Its probably no secret that the Stooges get $100 grand a show.

When the Saints played the Ding Dong, I gave them 85% of the door. Do the math - 250 paid admissions at $12; they got $5 grand for playing the Joey Ramone birthday show in NYC at Irving Plaza

The disparity between what bands earn is ridiculous and completely capricious
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 11:21 pm

bbq is still basically a bitch for not playing when people came to see him
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 11:38 pm

I suggest that everyone who dosent wanna go to detroit to hit kzoo and then ann arbor. Ann Arbor can throw very good house basement shows.
i havent been to kzoo in ages but have been hearing good things. theres fun to be had in A2 still? I thought it was all techno and hippie bands.
i was in port Huron for the mystery girls show a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast as well. the palce was packed-the bands ruled-the beer was cheap-the girls were cute-people were having fun and dancing. what more could one ask for? who needs detroit when the smaller town can do it up right and just want to have fun?
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 12:14 am

closet: yes. you win. now you start a band.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 12:38 am

now you start a band

Weak message board comeback #1
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 12:50 am

And all this talking of BBQ reminds me

http://www.gourmetmikes.com/joeperrocyou.html

It won't let you down.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 12:57 am

i have many times, keep throwing tacos at people superstar
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 12:59 am

did someone say TACOS?
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 4:08 am

Worth the drive.
much more pleasant than the drive to Detroit..
CON-FUCKING-STRUCTION!!!
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 4:10 am

Pfft!!!! I wouldn't even CONSIDER playing the goddam subway unless I was garaunteed $8000 thousand dollars in advance! Fittys & Hundreds only people! I mean, who the fuck plays for free in twothousand motherfuckin five anyway?????? Not me! I tell you that!

I wanna sit on the trolleyyyyyyyyyy.....
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 4:52 pm

this is my last message, as this is getting very boring.
to all of you hiding behind pseudonyms: keep on talking. leave it to message boards to make something small an incident - it's over. get on with your life. sorry i don't have the internet savvy to come up with standard yukks and commentary. more appropriately, i don't care.
i'll do what i do, you do what you do. don't come to the show and i won't be at your sci-fi convention.
to anyone who went to the show and wanted to see me, i am sorry. to people who just wanna act tough behind their computer, suck my dick.
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 12:41 am

to people who just wanna act tough behind their computer, suck my dick.
YEAH!
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 1:43 am

seger been outed!
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 9:30 am

This is all bullshit...

Mark is an amazing songwriter and your lives suck without him.
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 10:52 pm

The Penetration! party ended last night w/ "Bimbo's Theme." Louis from Sesame Street's real life son was standing next to me in the dj booth drunk and high and freaking out along with Mark's recorded "baybay" screams. What a fuckin' finale!
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 7:42 am

this is my last message, as this is getting very boring.
to all of you hiding behind pseudonyms: keep on talking. leave it to message boards to make something small an incident - it's over. get on with your life. sorry i don't have the internet savvy to come up with standard yukks and commentary. more appropriately, i don't care.
i'll do what i do, you do what you do. don't come to the show and i won't be at your sci-fi convention.
to anyone who went to the show and wanted to see me, i am sorry. to people who just wanna act tough behind their computer, suck my dick.

http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dmn6/mad.jpg
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 9:46 pm

freaking out along with Mark's recorded "baybay" screams.

ehem, I believe that's Khan's "baybay's"
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 10:18 pm

Is it? My bad.
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 3:35 am

hey , this is royce muckler, I dont have my own fuckin code thing to POST my own messages because unlike all you fuckin nerds I have alot of important things to do with my time, things like verbaly abusing my girlfreind and financially ruining my family ,
but Ill take the time now to tell you, to each take the time , to carefully shove your computers up into your assholes and keep them there for as long as it takes for the world of computer nerd fucknuts to forget about you , except for you segAR , BECAUSE YOUVE EARNED THE RIGHT TO SPEAK , WHEN MARK FUCKIN SULTAN HAMMERS OUT A HIT LIKE " LIKE A ROCK" OR "THAT OL TIME ROCKIN ROLL" THEN MAYBE THE GOD OF ROCKN ROLL WILL SEND THAT ROTTEN COMMUNITY OF RETARDED ELFS THAT IS KNOWN AS" DETROIT" DOWN TO THAT LOUSY FUCK HOLE OF A BAR, CALLED AS STUPIDLY AS CAN BE POSSIBLY BE NAMED TO " THEPAINTED LADY"
THEN MAYBE THAT FAT FUCK OF A BAR TENDER WILL SERVE THE MAN A DRINK WHEN HE ASKES FOR ONE.
COCKSUCKERSANYWAY
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 4:27 am

THEPAINTED LADY
GAY BAR!
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 8:42 am

Hey Ysael!!! Bring me some of that 9% alcohol beer from the grocery store across the street from your apartment... and don't forget Pat Meteor!
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 4:40 pm

YSAEL HAS SPOKEN!
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 4:41 pm

hey Ysael! Don't hold back mate - tell us what you REALLY think!

- darius
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 10:23 pm

RETARDED ELFS
Posted: Sep 25, 2005 6:27 am | Edited by: Meg White

The wind has changed. Bob Seger-where are you standing?

the Spitunes SUCK!
Posted: Sep 25, 2005 5:41 pm

First - Tokyo Electron OWNED!! Second - Let's all comile a garage rock etiqitte book so this stuff doesn't happen. I like BBQ's tunes but if he insists on breaking the rules he must pay. Third - When are King Kahn and BBQ ever coming to Cali? Fourth - Saw Demon Claws in LA and they were great. Did they play this Detroit show? Fifth - Is that really Meg White? :)
BW
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®