Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 7:24 pm

Is there still a rs show in asheville on friday? i saw that on their website not too long ago, and if there is can someone hook me up with some directions on how to get there.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 9:29 pm

it's still on, as far as i know, and it's at a club called broadway's. you can google it.

just to let you know, in north carolina, you have to be a "member", or a guest of a "member", to get into non-food-serving bars (it's fucking bizarre). so anyway, if you're coming from out of state, you might have to make a friend outside the club and come in as his or her guest. at broadway's it costs five bucks to become a member and there's a waiting period of several days.

do any other states have this pointless law?
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 2:28 am

i think in southern louisiana they do it, lafayette?

but you are INSTANTLY a member by paying your dues at the door.

really, a waiting period? and they could get busted for that?

here they just serve nachos or corndogs and that takes care of your "food" for the bar.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 6:04 am

U know Rob is a member. u better take dave as a guest. they just made this law so they dont have to allow kenton in.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 6:48 am

They're playing the local in chapel hill too with the detriot cobras
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 2:54 pm

they did that at that midtown billiards place in little rock. There I think it is only for after hours bars. been a while since i was there though.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 3:15 pm

Utah has the same law, but if you have a "sponsor" there is no waiting period. Just about anyone will sponsor you (even the door guys if you're desperate) so it is pretty easy. UT also offers some type of limited/cheaper membership if you show out of state ID, so that might be worth checking out in NC.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 3:52 pm

I have lived in NC the better part of my adult life, and yes they have these private club rules. (sometimes they work out well, like all nude strip joints were you can drink 74 beers and fall down and there is nothing there to stop you, b/c it is a private club) But I have always joined and walked right in. I was a member of the Local 506 for about 14 seconds before last Sleazefest and walked in. I have never been a victim to this waiting period.( I am too fucking broke to drive to Asheville and it pisses me off, because I had to get fucking work done on my car and go the the ER for an allergic reaction to a yellow jacket this week, so no $ = no RS for me. )I think it is total BS that you'll have to wait, you won't have to. I have lived in Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Boone, and Raleigh and seen many bands in all these towns and joined many a "private" club, and never had to wait.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 3:59 pm

also, the NC laws are not simply based on whether food is sold, but there is a percentage of alcohol sales to food sales that has to be maintained over a period of time. I cannot recall the exact ratio, but it is substantial food sales (or were when I was a bartender in NC about 10 years ago) that are required.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 2:16 pm

last night the reigning sound debuted their new, this-tour-only bass player... her name is carol, maybe? she's from the tough and lovely.

reigning sound's bass player already had plans to tour with freakwater.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 5:50 pm

Yes it IS Carol Schumaker from the Tough & Lovely! But she's no longer IN the Tough & Lovely.

How was it? I am so excited for her. I can't wait to see them with her. She sings great, too. Are the backing vocals back?
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 5:59 pm

Yeah, get some, Carol!
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:20 pm

She was great. According to Greg, she had only had one full practice with the band, and she was completely solid, with no discernable fuck-ups. She sang back-up on one song (the "ohhh-weeee-ohhh"s on "Your Love is Fine Thing") but I imagine she might (hopefully) start singing some more once she gets all the bass parts down. David Wayne Gay came up after about ten or twelve songs and finished up the set.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®