Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / Scion Garage Fest - Lawrence, KS (10/2/2010)
Posted: Aug 5, 2010 3:58 pm | Edited by: jaysutton

http://www.scion.com/garagefest/

SCION GARAGE FEST

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2010
4:00 P.M. - 12:30 A.M.

Will Call (Opens 2:00 P.M. day of event)
Located @ Parking Lot:
1020 MASSACHUSETTS STREET (THE GRANADA)
LAWRENCE, KS 66044

THE GRANADA
1020 Massachusetts Street
Lawrence, KS 66044
All Ages

THE BOTTLENECK
737 New Hampshire St.
Lawrence KS 66044
All Ages

JACKPOT MUSIC HALL
943 Massachusetts St.
Lawrence, KS 66044
18+

LIBERTY HALL
644 Massachusetts
Lawrence, KS 66044
All Ages

THE OBLIVIANS
THE GORIES
THE RAVEONETTES
THE GORIES
THE GREENHORNES
THE PONYS
KING KHAN & THE SHRINES
CLOUD NOTHINGS
BEST COAST
THEE OH SEES
HUMAN EYE
TIMES NEW VIKING
TY SEGALL
HUNX & HIS PUNX
TYVEK
COLA FREAKS
THE LAMPS
NODZZZ
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
GAYE BLADES
DIGITAL LEATHER
BAD SPORTS
SEX BEET
NATURAL CHILD
TEENANGER
ROOFTOP VIGILANTES
GAROTAS SUECAS
WHITE WIRES
Posted: Aug 5, 2010 4:18 pm

Also:

*Free admission with ticket. Maximum one (1) ticket per person. Must be 18 to gain entry to Jackpot Music Hall. All ages are welcome at The Granada, The Bottleneck and Liberty Hall. Early Arrival is suggested as space is limited. Entry is NOT guaranteed. Line up subject to change.
Posted: Aug 6, 2010 9:25 am

That's the weekend after Gonerfest. Eric, don't die!
Posted: Aug 7, 2010 7:15 pm

anyone wanna convince Scion that I'm their drum tech & get em to fly me in for frah?
Posted: Aug 8, 2010 7:29 pm

why KANSAS???
Posted: Aug 8, 2010 8:02 pm

Email yer boy with the tube socks and find out
Posted: Aug 10, 2010 3:43 pm

damn, that's outrageous. and William Burroughs had nothing to do with Toyotas!
Posted: Aug 10, 2010 9:22 pm

wow.
Posted: Aug 11, 2010 1:42 am

I'm from Lawrence and I ask myself the same question "why KANSAS?"

This thing seems real weird to me, especially because Scion isn't booking at the places where these bands would normally play. They've sort of monopolized the town though which sucks and they also didn't put a single local band on the ticket despite there being several that want to play. Apparently they don't meet Scion's standards and/or the only dude that was booking here in Lawrence didn't give a shit about other people in bands in this town.

Regardless, a bunch of folks are going to be throwing house parties/shows and the best bar in town the Replay, will be hosting some 'local flavor.'

I say if you're going to travel to see good bands, go to GONERFEST instead because no matter what, the bands will make money here from Scion, but this town has no relevance to this scene really and no one here has put any effort into it like the good people doing GONERFEST.

Don't get me wrong, I will definitely check out some of the Scionfest because The Gories and Oblivians are two of the only bands I've consistently listened to since I was a kid annnnnnnddd there are a ton of amazing bands too that I've seen and want to see!
Posted: Aug 11, 2010 2:52 pm

i don't know that they booked any local bands when they did the big scion fest thing in portland, either - except for pierced arrows. i didn't take issue with it - tons of bands that never come through down finally did because someone else footed the bill. and who's going to stick around to watch a local band that plays every week when there are 3 other shows happening simultaneously with bands that you never or hardly get to see?
Posted: Aug 11, 2010 3:08 pm

they're doing it there prob. because it's easier to videoize it and promote their crappy cars in the heartland, where most people drive American.

remember, the Supreme Court said corporate speech is free speech!
Posted: Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Are these places walking distance from each other? Tips on places to stay?
Posted: Aug 12, 2010 12:54 am

Venues are all within walking distance. The Granada & Jackpot are half a block from each other as are the Bottleneck & Liberty Hall. From the Jackpot Liberty Hall & the Bottleneck are about two and a half blocks.

Hit up Citysearch for hotel/motel info. I recommend trying to stay on 6th street as its about a mile from downtown. I'm hearing rumors that rooms are filling up quick for a Nascar event in nearby Kansas City, KS.

There is going to be a non-Scion event at the Replay Lounge (right across the street from the Jackpot) on the same day with tons of great local Lawrence garage bands: Fag Cop, The Spook Lights, Weird Wounds, Strong Smells & more...

As for the question of why Kansas? Why not? We've been blessed with tons of great shows and hopefully this event will convince more bands that Lawrence is a great place to play.
Posted: Aug 12, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks.
Posted: Aug 12, 2010 1:58 pm | Edited by: callmekevin

Lawrence is one of the easiest to navigate towns ever and the down town is literally 3 blocks wide and 5 blocks long. No one will attack you ever and the most that you could possibly worry about is the drunk college kids that might ogle you if you're a woman or call you a fag if you're a dude.
Posted: Aug 17, 2010 7:43 pm

maybe they should just cancel it and move it to los angeles.
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 11:57 am

Fag Cop
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 5:52 pm

i think everyone in lawrence kansas should enjoy the day and watch some ass kicking bands. its a big party, its gonna be alot of fun. quit crying. lawrence is a great town i agree with you, thats why i live here, and thats why they picked it.
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Zach, you're playing at Scion, so I understand why you'd be jerking off a car company. They are doing a favor by having a bunch of awesome bands play, but transplanting a bunch of cool shit into Lawrence doesn't prove that Lawrence is a cool place.

All we are trying to do is get as many local bands playing as possible while there's a crowd here so people can see what this town has to offer. Is that so hard to comprehend?
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Just added The Clean, Gentleman Jesse and Gino Washington is going to play a short set backed by King Khan & The Shrines.

LIBERTY HALL
(644 Massachusetts St., All Ages)
4:00 - 4:40pm Rooftop Vigilantes
5:00 - 5:40pm Gentleman Jesse and His Men
6:00 - 6:45pm Times New Viking
7:15 - 8:00pm Best Coast
8:30 - 9:15pm The Ponys
9:45 - 10:30pm The Greenhornes
11:00 - 12:00pm The Raveonettes

GRANADA THEATRE
(1020 Massachusetts St., All Ages)
4:40 - 5:10pm Natural Child
5:30 - 6:00pm Garotas Suecas
6:20 - 7:00pm Cloud Nothings
7:30 - 8:10pm Digital Leather
8:40 - 9:25pm Hunx and His Punx
9:55 - 10:50pm The Clean
11:30 - 12:30pm The Oblivians

THE BOTTLENECK
(737 New Hampshire St., All Ages)
4:30 - 5:00pm Bad Sports
5:20 - 5:50pm Nodzzz
6:10 - 6:40pm Gaye Blades
7:00 - 7:40pm The Lamps
8:00 - 8:45pm Tyvek
9:15 - 10:00pm Thee Oh Sees
10:30 - 11:30pm King Khan & The Shrines (featuring Gino Washington)

JACKPOT MUSIC HALL
(943 Massachusetts St., 18+)
4:20 - 4:50pm Sex Beet
5:10 - 5:40pm White Wires
6:00 - 6:30pm Teenanger
6:50 - 7:30pm Cola Freaks
7:50 - 8:30pm Human Eye
9:00 - 9:30pm Happy Birthday
10:00 - 11:00pm The Gories
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 7:55 pm | Edited by: queenothetwist

bazooka joe
Member Posted: Aug 18, 2010 11:57 am

Fag Cop
Posted: Aug 25, 2010 1:49 pm

Fag Cop is playing the night before (Friday October 1st) at the Replay with Spook Lights, Strong Smells and Wayne Pain & The Shit Stains, maybe at an after party on Saturday too.
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Early Arrival is suggested as space is limited. Entry is NOT guaranteed.

It appears that switching venues mid-stream could result in missing ALL the headliners, assuming all venues are at capacity. This makes me reluctant to make the trip.

Lawrence is a cool town and all, but I doubt the 20-something bouncers will respect my advanced age and cut me the slack that 'god' knows I've earned.
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 1:55 pm

let's hope there are no tornadoes rolling through kansas that day, because if there are, they'd wipe out some of the most celebrated musicians in the garage scene of the past 20 years.
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 9:17 am

Why Lawrence? 4 venues of 250+ capacity within 4 blocks. Is it cool for the town, yep. Is the town a cool place to do your thing if your a Goner, yep. Is this place Memphis, nope.

Suggested super-sketchy but cheap spots to stay:

Jayhawk Motel
http://national.citysearch.com/profile/4142856/lawrence_ks/jayhawk_mot el.html

Airport Inn (Motel)
http://national.citysearch.com/profile/4142852/lawrence_ks/airport_mot el.html

College Motel
http://national.citysearch.com/profile/4142855/lawrence_ks/college_mot el.html

Better yet, just send Ex-Fag Cop a myspace message and ask em for a place to crash in exchange for...
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Scions are stupid.
Posted: Sep 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Regardless, a bunch of folks are going to be throwing house parties/shows and the best bar in town the Replay, will be hosting some 'local flavor.'

I'm definitely hitting up the Replay for Fag Cop. Where can I find out about the house shows?
Posted: Sep 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Here's a link to info on the pre-show:

Spook Lights, Fag Cop, Strong Smells, and Wayne Pain @ the Replay

It's gonna be a RIPPER.

I reckon there will be lots of info on house shows floating around by then.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®