Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / VICE magazine fest in PDX?????
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 10:45 am

Back at work today & its a bummer (and I like my job)... overall I had a great time - it was extremely well organized & the event staff were super cool & very nice... it was kinda weird... the hotel was awesome & they had shuttles for the bands on the day of the shows back & forth from the hotel to the site... I was impressed...

We didn't actually see all that much - it was kind overwhelming... Our show was pretty good (we had the slot playing while the Almighty Defenders were playing, but we had a pretty decent crowd)... Sonic Chicken 4 played right after us & they (once again) SLAYED the room... they are such a tight band right now it's scary!... got to see a bit of the Dirtbombs, cuz they were pretty much the 1st band of the day... not bad (best I'd seen 'em play in a WHILE), but just kinda OK... but I still pine for the Potter/Diamond lineup... got to see the Mojomatics for the 1st time - pretty damn good & the drummer is amazing! Super tight & is a lefty that plays right handed - weird & impressive... I missed seeing Jack play cuz we headed over to see Gris Gris, but Someday Lounge was running behind & I had to sit through a Simply Saucer blooze jam... ugh... didn't even get to see Gris Gris...

but we ate some awesome Italian food & had the most amazing doughnut I'd ever eaten in my life - Maple Bacon Bar from VooDoo Donut... holy fuck.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 2:17 pm

yeah, the only shit set i saw was that band, harlem. never heard them before and i don't know if they were having technical problems or if they just suck, we showed up just in time to see simply saucer, only to see those obnoxious bozos go over their alotted time by like 20 minutes. don't know if it was their fault or the fault of the band(s) before them, but they sounded like each of the 3 members were playing 3 different songs at the same time.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Our show was pretty good (we had the slot playing while the Almighty Defenders were playing, but we had a pretty decent crowd)...

you guys sounded awesome! only got to see the last 2 or 3 songs, because was seeing kid congo before that. hope you can make it back to portland again soon!
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 2:25 pm | Edited by: Franny

I second the Harlem and Simply Saucer synopsis. Those were the only two bands that didn't impress me AT ALL.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 2:26 pm | Edited by: Franny

P.S. Kid Congo was amazing. Loved it that they did Sex Beat.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Third that. I grabbed a seat by the side of the stage and had a 45 minute nap during Simply Saucer, but told my brain to tap my foot while sleeping, so if security tried to toss me for passing out, I could always argue that I was space jamming, not sleeping.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 2:52 pm

"I was hunting for teabaggers down in the dark. When suddenly I had a better thought." ha! ha! ha!
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 3:03 pm

P.S. Kid Congo was amazing. Loved it that they did Sex Beat.

I realize I am in the minority who thought this went very poorly.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I can't fathom not being into Kid Congo's set. He was the highlight of the weekend for me. Almost all the bands I caught, with the exception of Simply Saucer, were really great.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Hey Larry, when does that KKBBQ LP come out for mailorder? I couldn't make it back over there to get one from the guys...
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 5:06 pm

I can't fathom not being into Kid Congo's set. He was the highlight of the weekend for me.

Kid Congo was fantastic. Dracula Boots is my favorite record of the year and was pretty much the soundtrack of my summer. I suppose if you didn't like the album, you would come away with a much different point of view.

I can't wait for the series of singles to start popping. When's that supposed to happen?
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 5:09 pm

I can't fathom not being into Kid Congo's set. He was the highlight of the weekend for me.

We were setting up while he was playing - seriously bummed I missed his set...
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 8:32 pm

People not liking the Kid Congo set kinda baffles me. He had a band full of badasses - real tight and way better than the band he was last out here with. Sex Beat was great and he dedicated a cover of I'm Cramped to Lux which ruled too.

Caught half of Dan Melchior's set too which was also great.

Also, not part of the fest, but Jail totally killed it at Slabtown on Friday.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 8:44 pm

People not liking the Kid Congo set kinda baffles me

But then I also like Harlem so maybe I just have shitty taste.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 8:56 pm

The new KK & BBQ album will be available on November 3rd.

Cococomas killed this weekend. I was psyched to finally get to see you guys.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 9:52 pm

The new KK & BBQ album will be available on November 3rd.

Cool! anxious to hear it!
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Also, not part of the fest, but Jail totally killed it at Slabtown on Friday.

definitely - those guys were really tight. i was impressed at how well they could harmonize live, too.

i was pleasantly suprised by thomas function, too. i wasn't too impressed when i heard their recorded stuff in the past, but they really grew on me seeing them live. yussef jerusalem, too.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 10:08 pm

didn't see anybody mentioning Brimstone Howl , i thought they kicked lotsa asses... i'm sick of festivals and fests, and other peoples opinions.... and I think I may have to go blow up American Apparel, right after i choose which Scion model fits my lifestyle best
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 3:58 am

most amazing doughnut
a new Po'town vice
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 8:15 pm | Edited by: hollershotbox

Did anyone see where all my money went?

i don't know but perhaps it's hanging out with my black denim jacket and my camera case?
i have to admit it was super fun and a lot less dumb(no corporate aholes trying to sell me a dumb car in my face)than i'd feared it would be. great to see so many friends and whhhhaaaaaaaooooooooooooo hello booze!
saturday night at east end with the spits and kid congo powers was the cherry bomb on a lovely ass shaking night.
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®