Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Is anybody going? looks like the strongest lineup yet... and FINALLY! I get to see Mary Weiss!

URL
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:51 pm

I'll be there...
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 5:03 pm

I'll be there (as will everyone in New Orleans who frequents these boards and has an extra $90).
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 11:34 pm

I just haven't seen any talk about the shows...

...and has an extra $90
yeah, tix are friggin' steep this year aren't they? you folks in NOLA able to sidestep the ticketmaster charges? ten smacks a ticket.... that and the infrequent email pleas to donate even more is irritating.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 8:59 am

Last year I bought my tickets at the HOB box office and was able to avoid ticketfucker charges.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 10:41 am

now that dave bartholomew cancelled I might only go to night #2.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 11:09 am

do the hip drop! and the fishin' pole!!
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 10:21 pm

I'll be there for sure. Probably selling Merch for the stomp. Come hollah at meh. I can't make deals but, you can stash your man bag under the table! -D
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I may take you up on that
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 12:43 am

Guitar Lightnin'!!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 10:19 am

so is Nathaniel Mayer playing?
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 11:58 am

Ira told me Nay-Nay had a triple stroke! doubt he will recover in time for the Stomp. still, plenty of incredible music to hear... I will be there!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 2:54 pm

I'm gonna be there ... I can't wait!

I hope I don't get stabbed!!!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 3:29 pm

triple burn!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Bobby Parker's in the hospital for some sort of gastric problem, so he's cancelled too. Damn.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 7:44 pm

got my tickets yesterday at the HOB for Wednesday night! and brad and darhee and tay tay are comin down from Jackson.... PARTY ON MAGAZINE!!!
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 11:15 am

it's too spensive man! I think andria established last year that the quickest way to get drunk for your money is to buy dem margaritas.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 11:41 am

that was all Sandy Shaw's ider -- they were surprisingly cheap and chock full of alcohol!

Ponderosa Stomp in the Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120907625472443071.html
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm

awesome article!

the cheapest way to get drunk is walk like one block to the CHART ROOM on Chartres and Bienville Streets. It's probably the cheapest bar I've ever been to, no joke. I believe the mixed drinks are $1.75.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 3:19 pm

they were surprisingly cheap and chock full of alcohol!

no kidding. u gonna be there andria??
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 6:33 pm

I wasn't there last year. Are the HOB drink prices as outrageous as usual, or does the Stomp bring in special cheap beer, or what?

Margaritas will work. See y'all soon!
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 1:17 pm

I'll be the stabbed guy drinking my face off at the Chart Room before the show ...
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 9:51 am

Tammy Lynn fucking rocked it @ the Jazz Fest Stomp revue yesterday. Do not miss her Tuesday!! Roy Head popped himself in the face w/ his mic to great comedic effect, Dennis Binder was sharp and cool, and Archie Bell got shut down by the man an after only one song...although the one song was Tighten Up, so it was all good.

I snapped 1909 photos (Barbara Lynn = great as usual) Friday, and only about 550 yesterday cause the great monsoon of '08 slowed me down considerably!!!!!!I mean there was A FUCKING FOOT OF WATER in the Blues Tent, but all in all a great mix of J. Fest & P. Stomp...at least from my perspective....

Throw-back jam today...not to mention Al Green!!!!!!!!
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 12:54 pm

Grrrttt you'll dig Mary Weiss, plus Question Mark & The Mysterians are playing too.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 6:07 pm

I get to see Mary Weiss!

I hope for your sake that she was better than the record release show in Cleveland or her appearance on Conan.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:53 pm

just got my tix. most excited for barbara lynn. such a fox!!
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 4:39 pm

I hope for your sake that she was better than the record release show in Cleveland or her appearance on Conan.

I went to the Cleveland show and thought she was great, keep in mind that was her first public performance since 1989.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 10:37 pm

I went to the Cleveland show and thought she was great

You have low standards. Her voice is beautiful, but the pipes are not there. If it weren't for Carol (especially on Conan), there would've been nothing to be heard.

keep in mind that was her first public performance since 1989.

That's a pretty lame excuse to put it mildly.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Mary WILL be playing a largely Shangri-las set ....so there...and I have it on good authority the Mac set is to feature Storm warning, and Morgus. I saw part of Hannibal's practice... awsome and William Bell ...also awesome.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Roy Head is playing at the same time as the Wardell Q Allstar Band! That sucks.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 2:52 am

mary weiss blllewwwwww!
roy head stole the show!
he totally had chad style typewriter jaws,
plus somersaulted off stage after
doing
the alligatorcrawl and touching panaceas left boob!
a true god!

btw hob BLOWS!
best booze deal = $2.25 highlife can parish bar upstairs.

pasta wins lord of the stomp
master cartographer purple heart.
death to false metal.
white power.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 1:46 pm

I am retarded. I sprained my neck this morning drying my hair with a towel!!! And I'm fucking bald!!!

Its true, I was drying what little hair I have left and I heard a CRUNCH!!! Next thing I know, I writhing in pain. I'm fucked up something good and won't make it to the Stomp tonight or Chazzfest today.

Shit.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 2:08 pm

andy - there's this great new invention: PAINKILLERS
you can buy some over the counter - but you'd have to take a shit ton of advil or ibuprofen... i think you probably either have a doctor who can hook you up legitimately for your pain, or you know people who have a personal supply of painkillers ... just sayin... don't be a pussy
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 3:47 pm

T: Thanks for the kick in the pants. I already had a line in for come codiene.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm feeling better already. I couldn't move my neck this morning. Now I'm 75% better. Scared be cause I've never had neck/back problems ever.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Scared be cause I've never had neck/back problems ever.

just wait til you're my age
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 4:12 pm

How was Ronnie Spector????
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 7:01 pm

Ronnie Spector is tonight.
Posted: May 1, 2008 3:45 pm

? blew me away. I went to both nights and they were the best act by far. I had no idea he looked like Prince's crazy old uncle. I've only seen the old promo shots from the 60s.

They killed it. Ronnie and Roky were great too. The codiene/soma one-two punch helped a bit too.
Posted: May 2, 2008 2:56 pm

oh. my. god. one of the greatest stomps ever! wasn't too into mary weiss, but everything else was incredible! roy head getting his hands tangled in the mic cord and having to turn his back on the audience to undo himself in 5 seconds, just like houdini! ronnie spector's hair, and that voice! mac rebennack! tammy lynn! lazy lester singing ? a song called 96 beers! roky's guitarist snapping pics of the mysterians then looking really angry when they launched into what sounded like "I walked with a zombie" 20 minutes after roky and the explosives had played it! kristen saying that one guy walking around looked really familiar, then finding out it was john c reilly! ian svenmonius in the audience! stephanie as a dancer/bouncer! hanging out on the westbank with terry parkway's parents! eating pizza with louie at midnight! drinking singapore slings for sustenance before the collins kids!
Posted: May 2, 2008 5:44 pm

The Collins Kids fucking rocked!
Posted: May 5, 2008 4:46 am

I may take you up on that
Nice to meet you Finnark. The best stomp ever. Seb next year you coming down and staying with me bro. I got to hang with Mary Weiss, Mighty Hannible, Steady Freaddy (Rokys Drummer) Lil Buck, Lazy Lester, Roy Head(amazing back stage at like 4 pm. He is always the show man). Ronnie Spector, Rocky Erickson, ? and Mysterions and Zigaboo/Cathy Modeliste also The Collins Kids!!! wooohoooo. -D
Posted: May 5, 2008 4:48 am

Ronnie was my highlight for sure!
Posted: May 9, 2008 6:22 pm

How was Ronnie Spector????

She was fantastic. 12-piece band with a piano player who gave it just the right Spectoresque sound. I enjoyed being in the Quarter, too. If you bought records and needed a bag all you had to do was run across the street.

And Ol' Toone's saloon RULES - they pour a damn fine shot of Maker's.
Posted: May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

But where was Beatle Bob?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®