Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 1:47 am

anyone out there no of any shows going on in the Denver area between 12-13-07 and 12-17-07.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 1:50 am

Bring your bullet-broof vest...
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 2:22 am

Dnever is Denver.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 2:37 am

D-never may be more apt...
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 2:39 am

might be worst than IOWA
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 6:14 am

or worse.
sorry you have to go there.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:48 am

You know what IOWA stands for, right? Idiots Out Walkin' Around!...(thanks dude from Minnesota I worked with in a third shift laundry!!)
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 4:19 pm

wow, never heard that one before.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:04 am

no. go skiing.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:38 pm

D-never may be more apt...

PS Why so harsh?

might be worst than IOWA

In what way, genius?
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 9:20 pm

are there ever any shows in denver? im seriously asking here, not trying to be facetious or anything. are there people that go to shows? totally clueless over here.
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 7:57 pm

Let's just say...I assume I am the only person in Denver who reads this board...and I am from SF. We get stuff...couple times a year...whatever...go skiing.
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 9:09 pm

PS Why so harsh?
The truth is, in this case....Denver sucks is all I was sayin'.
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 10:40 pm

go skiing.

or shoot people
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 12:08 am

C'mon people. Denver only sucks if you like music. It does not suck to visit...if you don't go to church.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 2:29 am

Pink Reason has had two good shows there. The first with Hue Blanc's Joyless Ones was a packed warehouse show filled with kids drinking beers, smoking weed. Great turnout. Excited kids. Good pay.

Second show was with Psychedelic Horseshit, somewhat last minute at a dive bar. The show was packed. The kids were excited. The setup was one of those free shows where you're paid out of bar sales, and the pay was definately not what it should have been, but it was more than we've made in alot of other places and was definately worth it and pretty much covered our gas and expenses.

Definately a great place to play.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 2:50 am

my only denver show experience was in the late 80s: the fluid and vincent black shadow, almost every SST band that wasn't black flag, pere ubu, nirvana, buttholes. wasn't so bad...
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 5:43 am

I'm sure our "worst than Iowa" boy had a fine time...we've got as many good dive bars as the next place...and meat.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 8:15 am

hope I spell alpaca right, got a sweet pair of slippers and a really really nice alpaca sweater. Look great wit me boy footsie pajamas. Was really stoked to see Arthur Lee Land in Boulder, just couldn\'t make the drive bra (shank police). Give Wax Trax an A+ though boyeeeeeee.
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 11:43 pm

I live in Denver, and I feel like I need to stand up for it, geesh. To address a few things, no, there wasn't any goner-type music going on during those dates initially mentioned, as far I I know. Lo siento.

No, tons of small bands discussed here do not regularly play here, but some do. However, there's plenty of people who go to shows, especially bands that draw, say, 1000+ plus people. There's two art-space co-op type places that sometimes have cool bands, too.

The bars good are pretty good too. Tons of local breweries, heck even a local micro-distillery. The current mayor even started a popular micro-brewery before politics.

The city itself has a population less than 600k. If you compare it to other places of comparable size, for a music fan, I'd say it's above average.

It's surely getting more and more urban every day, especially in mindset, which is impressive, seeing as there really aren't any spacial restrictions that prevent sprawl.

It just seems to me that Denver is painted in a negative light here, and I don't think think it's warranted. Check out all the development on denverinfill.com. That, plus all the less polished charm on Colfax are a great combination. If nothing else, the fact that the area's growth rate is strong speaks to its desirability. So let's get some more bands through here!

Alright, I'm done.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 12:56 am

Yes...skyscrapers and brewbups are what I look for in a city...
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 5:23 am | Edited by: skank police

It's a very "nice' place to live...but damn, Bam Bam I didn't want to get into this, but you force me...

No, tons of small bands discussed here do not regularly play here, but some do.

...but let's not kid ourselves. What are you doing this weekend or any other? Waiting for the Detroit Cobra's to grace us with ther presence again? The fact that that disgusting hag has fans here should tell you how desperate we are. Jay Reatard and KK and BBQ in November were as good as it has been in my entire 5 years here.

So let's get some more bands through here!

Good luck. Greedy, clueless club owners have ruined any hope for the touring unknown bands in Denver, and that's a fact. I've had words with a certain one over this recently (the Tuff Luvs and PCG know what I'm talkin' about).

If you grew up here you love it, and that says something about a place for sure...it's not a shithole or a bad city, but I've had to travel to see the music I've lost living here. I don't plan to stay...so solly.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 6:12 am

seeing the dWARVES at the Lions Lair a couple years ago was fun

talk to Jim from Lying Bitch and the Restraining Orders if you want fun

and if you don't think hanging out with him is fun...i don't wanna know you
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 6:29 am | Edited by: skank police

dWARVES

Not really the fresh unknowns I was talkin' about, but OK...always fun, even for the gazillianth time, sure.

I'm not happy about it, or trying to be elitist...but I rest my case.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 8:52 am

you rest your case on a show someone who doesn't live in Denver saw when they were there for two days

ok

getting more and more intelligent

PS banned already talked about two shows of fresh unknowns
maybe if you hadn't have had your head so firmly crammed up your own ass you might have gone to one of them
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 4:23 pm

Beef, you don't live here, and you're makin' shit for sense... What is your problem with me? You're right, I have a little one and I haven't been out much in the last few years, but I'm not oblivious. Banned did not even say when those shows were, and I'm sorry I missed them. All I'm saying is it could be a lot worse, and it could be a whole lot better too. And if you'd pull your eyes out of your own ass you'd read that I'm sticking up for touring bands because it ain't easy to book a CLUB here unless you have a booking agent, and that ain't right....is it, meanie guy? No fucking clue why you'd want to take shots at me over it...
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 4:38 pm

take shots at you?

I don't even know where you live

you were the one who seemed adamant that nothing good ever happens there...it's a typical mindframe of people who don't seem to get out very often...no matter what the city is

now thanks for making me seem like Tony Robbins
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 4:44 pm

I don't even know where you live

unbelievable...forget it.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 7:03 pm

I reiterrate...Denver SUCKS...and it's not just because of the motherfucking shows...it's because of the motherfucking PEOPLE...if you can call them that....and yes, I lived in CO for awhile...saw lots (considering where I was) of shows in Denver...if you think that place rules, you need to get out more.....
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Yes, Beef Robbins you've really opened my eyes...Denver is the new Portland/Chicago/Memphis...it so obviously rules, hence this thread...how could I let myself get so out of touch? Mediocrity rocks!

And easy, Matto, I think you were shown proper hospitality here fairly recently...
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Hospitality was definately appreciated, but notwithstanding...and yes, I do still have friends there...but ok....let's all get the new Christmas IPA down at the brewpub and watch the city grow together.....
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 7:48 pm

I still want to go! planning on it too!
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Hospitality was definately appreciated

Thanks. Now tell that gorilla I know how to have fun!

Christmas IPA down at the brewpub and watch the city grow together.....

Hahaha. I'll be watching it grow via satellite next year...
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 8:09 pm

I still want to go! planning on it too!

Yeah! I'll be right up front, with my Guilty Heart on my sleeve!
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Denver is the new Portland/Chicago/Memphis

probably...theres plenty of people who will have complaints about those cities too

like I said I wasn't trying to be uber posi and say Denver ruled
but I've definitely had fun whenever I've gone there

of course you might not like smashing bottles over skaters and bmx folks heads
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 10:00 pm

of course you might not like smashing bottles over skaters and bmx folks heads
Well who doesn't...really....
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 10:38 pm

party dudes.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 12:03 am

party dudes.

the tuff luvs?
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 12:04 am | Edited by: gore

double posting sucks
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 12:10 am

I partied those dudes under the table.....I even had to move their tour van/trailer in the morning so they wouldn't get a ticket! HAW!
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 4:33 pm

I partied those dudes under the table.....

Shot for shot...I wuz zee vinner. Under the table and around the corner...just like the van.

double posting sucks

Thanks. Do you know when you play here yet?
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 8:01 pm

Shot for shot...I wuz zee vinner.
That night, for sure...the next morning, not so sure...
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 5:56 am

...but at least nobody found my pants in the gutter with a Pabst can on 'em.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 11:26 am

HAW!....That would be Petey......
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:32 pm

Banned did not even say when those shows were, and I'm sorry I missed them.

First show (w/ Hue Blanc's Joyless Ones - who would appeal to Goner fans) was in June or July I believe. It was at the Office and it was fucking PACKED. Second (w/ Psych Horse) show was in November and was at some dive bar downtown kinda near that BBQ place I think.

I have no complaints about the attendance of either show. The second show at the bar was kinda put together a little late in the game and I felt that the owner kinda stiffed us, but we did get free beer all night, and hell, even though we were stiffed, it was more money than we made at any of our shows the first time we were on the west coast (not counting Vancouver).

Anyway, I hear alot of people talk about how bands should skip Denver, and I just don't understand it. I've got pride in my music and stuff, but ya know, I don't think we're that special that we'd have some crazy draw in that place. I also don't know about clubs there, but, hell, anytime you have a city with warehouse spaces and the like, those are usually the best places to play anyway because of the lack of time restrictions, the independent spirit of the venues which often are volunteer run which means you're not spending 100$ of the door on soundguys and doorguys, and the fact that you can smoke weed while you play if you feel like it, and we did the first time we were in Denver.

If any good touring bands need help getting a show in Denver, contact me via myspace http://www.myspace.com/secondculture and I will put you in contact with the right people.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Also, if you have a lack of good bands coming through the area, contact them yourselves and let them know that you'll book them a good show if and when they tour, and then back up your promise and give them a good show. I promise you do this just a couple of times and you'll have a steady supply of bands to choose from for booking.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE!
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:46 pm

Thread die now bye bye
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®