Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / Questionable booking/payment practices at Ronny's in Chicago
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:23 pm

my band was on the road recently and played Ronny's in Chicago. we had a fairly decent draw and so we were shocked when we only received $15 per band on a 3 band bill. we pressed the issue with the lady who was the "stage manager" and door person for the night. after alot of side skirting, pointing the finger at "the boss", etc., here are the facts we were able to pull away.

1. She admitted to taking over $140 at the door, but only $45 of it was distributed to the bands.

2. She informed us of a $65 "PA rental fee". Now the PA was a vocal only PA with 3 mics and we played on the floor so this is pretty absurd. also the PA is permanently housed in this bar, not set up new for each show.

3. She informed us that her fee to work the door was $40.

4. We're still not certain where the soundman's pay came from we just know that he got paid in addition to the $65 PA rental fee.

5. After complaing & pressing the issue for about 45 minutes, the sound guy told us we needed to be careful because they keep a database of bands that cause problems.

We're fairly certain more than $140 was taken at the door but can't prove it. At the end of the day, over %70 of the door didn't make it to the bands which is pretty screwed. Ronny's is a fairly small venue so this type of price structure seems ridiculous & is unlike anything i've ever encountered before.

So if you're playing Ronny's in Chicago be aware. If you're a smaller band with a 20-30 person draw you're gonna get screwed. If you have a larger draw (not that ronny's can hold much more than that), the taxing might be transparent to you at the end of the night.

Good luck in Chicago!
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:29 pm

I can tell you that YES, you will get paid a lot less at Ronny's now than you would have BEFORE MPSHOWS took over...actually you will probably get 1/4 the amount you should seeing as our first couple shows there we were paid anywhere between 100 and 250. Our last show there a month ago, I think we got 40. It's fucked but whata ya do? When we played in DC about 3 weeks ago the fucking "DJ" (who was "spinning" Grateful Dead records) got half the door and the rest was split between 3 bands...thanks to the opener for only taking 10 bucks or we wouldn't of even gotten enough to make it to NYC.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:38 pm

i think the "whata ya do" part involves warning bands about notorious venues so they can either be aware or book elsewhere. i'm not expecting to change anything per se, but maybe save a few folks the same headache. i've honestly never been ripped off like that in nearly 20 yrs of playing gigs.

the kicker is we played the night before in cleveland at Now That's Class. the guy who runs that joint, paul, comes from the clevo hardcore scene and is a stand up dude so he made certain the outta town bands were taken care of. he really busts his ass to make certain touring bands get a decent show & as much gas money as possible....NOW THATS CLASS = HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:42 pm

wouldn't of

I'm jealous I didn't think that up.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:42 pm | Edited by: LisaLisa

UH, ACTUALLY - we played now that's class a week ago and only got 40 bucks when there were def. about 30ish paid and they said "It was a really unorganized booking" whatever that means... so I think the moral of the story is "Don't play a show for the money or you're fucking screwed"
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:42 pm

I read the first two sencetences you wrote and knew my former boss ( MPSHOWS) must have been involved.
When I had to pay bands, it would get really awkward sometimes.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:45 pm

i think the "whata ya do" part involves warning bands about notorious venues so they can either be aware or book elsewhere

so if it comes down to it you would choose to NOT play a show...sometimes you don't have the luxury of choosing which venue to play at on the ONE specific night you're in town.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 6:04 pm | Edited by: hullabaloo_nyc

I don't know what it's like in Chicago, but over in Brooklyn we are trying to book into as many venues as possible that take little or nothing from the door.

As of now, I know two venues that function this way:
1. Don Pedro (Williamsburg/Bushwick)-- you have to supply doorman & drum kit, but they don't take anything from the door.

2. Matchless (Greenpoint/Williamsburg)-- not always, but if anyone is looking for a gig in the area, contact me and i can usually set it up with some notice...if you come with even a small draw (at least 20... especially on weekdays)... you're just going to pay $75 for the soundguy. and the place has a pretty good backline, drums, even a bass amp i think...

The truth is the bar/club owners around here actually really want garage/punk shows, because it's a DRINKING audience which is what matters to them in the end... unlike "freak folk" type audiences, they might actually sell some whiskey...
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 6:21 pm

oddly enough, sarah, the girl working the door at ronny's now reminds me alot of you ... she could be your sister, except maybe she's the sister who is on time for her radio shows & doesn't make her format chief late to class.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 6:41 pm

Every time the Bold Ones Played at Ronnies we got at least $80 or more which I thought was great at first, given we usually open for a touring band(we always give our cash to touring bands anyways so I dont really think about it). But now that I look back I think we only got $40 bucks last time.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 7:55 pm

I'm playing at Ronny's tonight and I can't wait to get screwed! Of course I know that going into it, so I've never sought out a show there on my own. I've only played after being asked by another band, mostly because I don't trust those MP shows jackasses further than I can throw them, and I can't throw all that far.
I guess if you're on tour, and that's the only place you can get on your given night, that sucks. But if you're here in town, I don't see any reason to go out of your way to try to play that place. It's depressing, the sound sucks ass, and you're getting fucked in the butthole. That said, I'll be there tonight, not getting paid to play shitty songs that no one should really pay to hear anyway.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 9:14 pm

can't wait to get screwed

faggit

can't throw all that far

cuz yew throw like a girl, faggit

It's depressing, the sound sucks ass, and you're getting fucked in the butthole

then go back to THE MANHOLE, faggit
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Ronny's doesn't charge money at the door ever since that Times New Viking Show we set up there back in July, but they do ask for donations. I've watched five or six people walk in without paying on more than one occaision, so you may have had fewer dollars in the pot than you thought. The four shows we booked there after July all had higher-than usual payouts once the donation system was put into effect, and it always sucks to go to a show there any there's 40-50 people just hanging out in the bar area that don't pay to get in, too. Happens all the time. I think the place is great and is in a good location, run by nice people, and sounds really good too, but then again, I love garbage and hate 'good sound' in general, that's why I'm not into classical music. I even think my own voice sounds too clean!

I guess it all depends on how many people come out, and if it's a low turnout, you can expect a low payout. Opening bands getting paid $20 at the Empty Bottle for a sold out show is another story....

Arman, did you revive your 'creepydrifter' monker just for this?
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 9:21 pm

nope, thats matranga. i have yet to play ronny's.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 9:23 pm

ah! it's been ages since I've seen that name.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 9:25 pm

yeah, i wonder how that faggit wound up with it.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 10:14 pm

arman, i stole the moniker and yer too old and chicken shit to do anything about it.

I guess it all depends on how many people come out, and if it's a low turnout, you can expect a low payout.

i think the major point to make ... she admitted to at least $140 being taken at the door of which only $45 made it to the 3 bands. that kindof overhead for such a small venue is pretty ridiculous. we understand the whole donation thing & that folks in the front aren't necessarily paying to get into the back (this is why we counted heads in the show room). we have a couple reasons to believe more money was taken at the door.

this wasn't a great take at the door, but not bad for 2 outta town bands no one in chicago knows well. too bad we won't be playing that venue or MP ever again.

defend ronnys, make excuses for it, or whatever you like, but this is a ridiculous pay system for such a small venue. i'm just spreading the word about the fees she admitted to so others will have this info before playing there. i'm gonna guess they didn't want all these fees being public knowledge. so bring them up when you are getting paid after your show.

p.s.- i have nude photos of arman "hittin' it" with a amputee midget in a canadian whore house. highest bidder wins.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 10:33 pm

so bring them up when you are getting paid after your show.

you mean before, right?

PS hey chris! waaaaaaaaaaaaasuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 1:37 am

Opening bands getting paid $20 at the Empty Bottle for a sold out show is another story....

surprise surprise. when did that happen?
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 1:39 am

creepy washcloth boy > creepydrifter
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 3:43 pm

i think the actual creepy washcloth boy is off the drugs and has been integrated back into society.
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 5:58 pm

oddly enough, sarah, the girl working the door at ronny's now reminds me alot of you ... she could be your sister, except maybe she's the sister who is on time for her radio shows & doesn't make her format chief late to class.
wonder if i know her? she sounds pretty lame.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:16 pm

for the record

MICROWAVES / BLACK LADIES / LUDLOW 10-6-07 @ RONNY'S
$126 TOTAL GROSS
$64 TO PAY SOUND PERSON/SOUND RENTAL
$32 TO PAY DOOR PERSON/SHOW MGR
$30 FOR TOURING BANDS EACH BAND GOT $15
we spent probably $25 promoting the show, so we lost $50

COCOCOMA 9-18-07 @ RONNY'S
$314 TOTAL GROSS
$65 TO PAY SOUND/SOUND PERSON
$30 TO PAY DOOR PERSON/SHOW MGR
$10 TO PAY FOR PROMOTIONS
bands got 85% after these expenses
$178 BAND PAY
CCC $50 / HIPSHAKES $100 / KRUNCHIES $28
$31 TO PROMOTER/MP PRODUCTIONS
BILL FROM COCOCOMA decided how to pay the bands

COCOCOMA 8-18-07 @ RONNY'S
$360 TOTAL GROSS
$65 TO PAY SOUND/SOUND PERSON
$40 TO PAY DOOR PERSON/SHOW MGR
NOTHING TAKEN FOR PROMOTION
Bands got 85% after these expenses
$217 BAND PAY
CCC $47 / THE RETAINERS $85 / THE HOSPITAL RATS $85
BILL FROM COCOCOMA decided how to pay the bands

a few things I would like to point out

1. I have never had anyone named Sarah work for me.

2. if you have been to Ronnys, its obviously disfunctional, we wish that Ronny would pay all the expenses out of the bar, but he does not see things the way most bars see them, have a conversation with him sometime, ask him about the scene and the latest Goner band, we deal with him on a daily basis, he is a great, mysterious, ex hair dressing maniac, but we love him. but try to get him to pay for something, it does not work.

3. sound at Ronnys is provided by a seperate source who was hired by Ronny and us, they charge me $200 a week, i pro-rate that between the shows, I helped them aquire proper sound which includes subs, monitors, mains, mics, stands, power amps, sound board etc...they bought this stuff just for Ronnys, they also have sound people who actually care and are attentive so that the bands sound good and things run on time.

4. the door MP staff at Ronnys are good people, good freinds and unlike most shows like this they are not drunk and don't let in all their pals for free, they actually care about the bands and do what they can to make sure touring bands are taken care of.

5. every show at Ronnys gets tons of promotion
- appox 500+ flyers a week with the show listed
- 10,000 person myspace blasts sent out weekly sometimes nightly
- a weekly email list via the website with about 8000 folks who signed up
- ronny's myspace page which we maintain and send out blasts
- a concious effort to make sure all promo is used when bands send it

6. MP makes about $50 a week booking, promoting and running Ronny's

7. we do take notes on bands when they are mean or sexist or thieves or super nice or really great etc, the info from the shows gets put into our calendar, the only comment i got from Anna who worked the LUDLOW show was the following... "Ludlow was pissed.. but i explained to them sound rental and donation requirements.. i said i was really sorry.. but what can you do-- he was mean.. though"

so, take a look at the numbers above Lisa/Creepydrifter aka Ludlow the band, maybe instead of spouting off about things on some message board, you could call me or ask questions when you are settling the show or figure out how things work before booking the show, I realize that its tough to understand things after a few drinks at the end of the night, but you know me, I am available and we (Lisa) have known each other for a long time and I have always been a fan of your bands and done my best to make you happy, I also find it strange that one day you talk shit and the next day your bands are trying to play one of my shows? my personal email is mpshows@gmail.com if you want to talk, or we can continue this conversation here in public, either way I have nothing to hide. as far as Ludlow, I am sorry things did not work out, we did our best, but I can't pay you out of pocket, hopefully the free drinks and promotion helped? maybe next time you should avoid touring as a two band unknown pkg? all I know is nobody got fucked, not even me, I don't mind loosing money or not making money, its part of it and I see it as my contribution to things here in Chicago, the unfortunate thing is when people talk shit about someone on a messageboard instead of confronting them directly, that seems odd really, and, Brian Costello and I are not great friends!!! ask him!!

thanks, later.

Brian P
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:21 pm

ah..SARAH MASON!!! sorry about forgetting you, sucks you think things were strange, and you took a shot at me (Thanks!!) but yeah, things can be strange, especially when you don't take the time to understand them (SNAP!), I still like you though and don't take it personally, but yeah, when I paid you weekly for office hours at $10 and hour and when you worked shows for $8 an hour doing nothing, you never seemed to mind then, that was never strange for you huh? maybe you should do shows and work for free next time, let me know, I would be happy to hire you back if you were willing to work for free!! awesome! stay clueless!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:32 pm

I'm playing at Ronny's tonight and I can't wait to get screwed! Of course I know that going into it, so I've never sought out a show there on my own. I've only played after being asked by another band, mostly because I don't trust those MP shows jackasses further than I can throw them, and I can't throw all that far.
I guess if you're on tour, and that's the only place you can get on your given night, that sucks. But if you're here in town, I don't see any reason to go out of your way to try to play that place. It's depressing, the sound sucks ass, and you're getting fucked in the butthole. That said, I'll be there tonight, not getting paid to play shitty songs that no one should really pay to hear anyway.

hey Gay Baby....how was the show? i will post the finals from your show next.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:37 pm

this is gonna wind up being the best thread ever.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I was just about to say my afternoon just got better.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:57 pm

I doubt it. The guy from the rip off club has to shut his mouth now if he ever wants another loser band from Chicago to play there again and the loser bands have gotta shut their mouths or they won't get to make no money playing to nobody at the club.

Brian,

A) All I know is that between a year or so ago and now, we have gotten substantially less money than when we first started playing at Ronny's PERIOD...there are obviously more hands involved...is this a mystery?

And B) It's nice to know that shows are YOUR shows...not the people playing them.

I have no beef with you, only the fact that it sucks when people that work the door or do sound or whatever walk away with more than the people playing.

this will never top the BRIAN VS BRIAN VS THAT ONE DOUCHEBAG VS THE PAPER TOWEL DISPENSER AT BOTTOM LOUNGE, that was a good one, this one might get good, if only Ronny would actually post!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:59 pm

I doubt it. The guy from the rip off club has to shut his mouth now if he ever wants another loser band from Chicago to play there again and the loser bands have gotta shut their mouths or they won't get to make no money playing to nobody at the club.

Fort Knox, baby!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:01 pm

p.s.- i have nude photos of arman "hittin' it" with a amputee midget in a canadian whore house. highest bidder wins.

pffft. they were his christmas cards last year, everyone has one.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:04 pm

this will never top the BRIAN VS BRIAN VS THAT ONE DOUCHEBAG VS THE PAPER TOWEL DISPENSER AT BOTTOM LOUNGE, that was a good one, this one might get good, if only Ronny would actually post!

agreed!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:05 pm

i think the actual creepy washcloth boy is off the drugs and has been integrated back into society.

What an asshole. Fuck him, then.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:07 pm

4. the door MP staff at Ronnys are good people, good freinds and unlike most shows like this they are not drunk and don't let in all their pals for free,

so much for the "donation" at the door. i particularly like it when there are two different signs with two different prices for "donations" at ronnys. i think it was the september cococoma show were i saw with my own eyes the door dude taking alternately 6 or 7 dollars because of the two signs. i'm sure the extra dollars made it to the bands though.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:08 pm

Lisa

things are pretty cut and dry, no mystery, maybe you should re-read it, if you have issues bring them up with Ronny, its obvious where the money is going, its not to me, $8 per hour for someone to put up with running the door is not alot, there never used to be a sound system at Ronnys, there is now so he can do more shows, again, the money taken for this is not much, I will make you a deal, you start working the shows for free and loan us your sound system and we will give bands more money, and yes, the KING KHAN show you want to play is "my show" I have a pretty big guarantee that night and am taking more risk than anyone, so yeah, I feel entitled to call it "my show" since I am taking the risk, booking it, promoting it and have worked for years to get THE NOTE to a point where its a good place to play. I am tired of being the scapegoat for bands when they don't draw or don't understand how things work.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:11 pm

I am tired of being the scapegoat for bands when they don't draw or don't understand how things work.

stupid bands need to understand who the real artist is!!!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:11 pm

I am tired of being the scapegoat for bands

Rip off club guy loses. Cockhomos win. Thread over.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm

have worked for years to get THE NOTE to a point where its a good place to play.

hope you're not done working...
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:15 pm

4. the door MP staff at Ronnys are good people, good freinds and unlike most shows like this they are not drunk and don't let in all their pals for free,

so much for the "donation" at the door. i particularly like it when there are two different signs with two different prices for "donations" at ronnys. i think it was the september cococoma show were i saw with my own eyes the door dude taking alternately 6 or 7 dollars because of the two signs. i'm sure the extra dollars made it to the bands though.

yeah, things don't work perfectly at Ronnys, thats a given, I am sure you paid $2 or something and snuck in beer, you win! the suggested donation price changes nightly, its usually $5 or $6 for all local shows and an added $1 per touring band, and all the shows are the same, 85% after expenses to the bands, there is not 1 person that works the door that is not in a band themselves or great trustworthy people, most of you know this, hell, the guy you are talking about is Jared who is in a band called SCOUTS HONOR, he has toured the country doing punk shows, house shows for years, i would want no other person working for me, so...keep assuming and stay ignorant.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:19 pm

I am sure you paid $2 or something and snuck in beer, you win!

i know you're sure but you're wrong.

keep assuming and stay ignorant.

don't choke on your own words there dingus.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:20 pm

I feel as if I've been backed into a corner about this...if you read from my first post, I said "don't play shows if you expect lots of money" I'm not all about the money i think i just got caught up in the shit talk (it's all I've got afterall!) and you have let us play lots of your shows. The end, I'm tired.

Kevin - no i am not done working, thanks for asking.
Rich - I think I love you
Bruce - Artists?

basically, before you play a show, ask how payment works before you commit. when the show is over, ask for a breakdown
if you don't trust someone, stand at the door with a clicker and hold them accountable.

I am losing faith in Chicago. Unless you guys can add something to (equal or greater than) the effect of "charging for a cup of water", you will never beat the Murphy's thread. All four of them.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:22 pm

recording artist scam artist whatever
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:24 pm

"charging for a cup of water"

I was playing a show at Ronny's on a particularly hot & stuffy night & was about to go on (playing drums & singing) & asked to PURCHASE a water at the bar & was told that there were no more bottles....when i asked if I could purchase a cup of water, I was told "no".

gotta love that bartendress.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:24 pm

GAME ON!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Lisa
i guess i just get bummed when I actually put in alot of time trying to do something positive, take little to no money doing it, then get slammed, It is shit talk, and honestly, you didn't really talk shit, just questioned things in public instead of contacting me directly, I will quit with all the emo talk now and leave that to Brian Costello. hugs.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:27 pm

If you can't talk shit here, where can you talk shit??
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:29 pm

Shut up, nick.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:30 pm

If that is your "real" name.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:31 pm

STAAGS! should totally play Ronny's on our summer '07 We've Come For Your Drugs tour. And we'll get Quinn to stand at the door with the clicker.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Shut up, conner sewer.

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:36 pm | Edited by: conner sewer

Fuck you "Jack." Go back to dreaming about theremin drum machines and counting change for Buffalo shirts hippy. And fuck Chicago and their deep-dished pizza which one of their darling bands left a menu for in one of our shitty dive bars. Thanks guys, rub it in a little more.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:38 pm

summer? what happened to Christmas break? the We've Come For Your Jolly tour?
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:40 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Yeah summer '07 is over, genius. I thought you went to college.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:41 pm

How much extra do the bands have to pay to get "Ronny" to do their hair?
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:45 pm

Dear Everyone,

This thread is awesome. 100% pure gold.
Brian, I'd love to see the end total for our show. I wasn't there to settle, so I don't know how it all worked out. Also, your email kinda threw me off. I wasn't sure why you were asking about our experience, cause usually no one takes that kind of interest. But in answer to the question, I do like it in the butt hole, but I heard you're married, and I'm not prepared to break up a marriage.
I'm also not all that concerned about money when I'm playing in town. I drive two miles to play a show. I'm not looking to feed the kids off it. Last night I gave almost 1/2 of our money to the touring band. We kept $30, which was about all we deserved.
And maybe I don't really understand how it all works. The explanation of the $65 PA rental thing went over my tiny head. I always assumed that if you're doing shows on a regular basis, that you buy a PA and don't rent one.
Also, if Ronny doesn't do things the way most people do, and it's dysfunctional, it sounds like shit deal, and I'm not sure I'd want to be in that situation if I was booking shows. I'm sure there are 100 other places that could be turned into another Ronny's, and those establishments would be happy to have people coming in to buy drinks, out of clean glasses.
But most importantly, don't question things. Especially in public, cause it leads to dissent, and we can't have that. Just go about your business.

Looking forward to getting a box of shit in the mail,

Jay Ranz
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:48 pm

You got me and I'm not even wasted yet. X-mas is out cause I work in retail. And I'm not putting my van out on some icy midwestern roads.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:50 pm

arman, i stole the moniker and yer too old and chicken shit to do anything about it.

He'll have his revenge on your corpse CHRIS!

Hey you two, guest what guy from Austin is coming to Memphis this weekend.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Also, it burns when i pee.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:52 pm

3. sound at Ronnys is provided by a seperate source who was hired by Ronny and us, they charge me $200 a week, i pro-rate that between the shows, I helped them aquire proper sound which includes subs, monitors, mains, mics, stands, power amps, sound board etc...they bought this stuff just for Ronnys, they also have sound people who actually care and are attentive so that the bands sound good and things run on time.

$200 bought the P.A. that we use on the bridge. It isn't great and bands have to adjust their own volume on the shitty head behind them, but we don't have to shell out $65 everytime we wanna go buck wild. $21.66 is kinda a lot of money to not have to walk 3 feet behind you and turn a knob.

How are drink prices there? Like compared to Chcago in general?
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:54 pm

We kept $30, which was about all we deserved.

damn, then maybe you could've sprung for a cab and avoided the whole "this bitch is a suitcase" situation.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Dear Everyone,

This thread is awesome. 100% pure gold.
Brian, I'd love to see the end total for our show. I wasn't there to settle, so I don't know how it all worked out. Also, your email kinda threw me off. I wasn't sure why you were asking about our experience, cause usually no one takes that kind of interest. But in answer to the question, I do like it in the butt hole, but I heard you're married, and I'm not prepared to break up a marriage.
I'm also not all that concerned about money when I'm playing in town. I drive two miles to play a show. I'm not looking to feed the kids off it. Last night I gave almost 1/2 of our money to the touring band. We kept $30, which was about all we deserved.
And maybe I don't really understand how it all works. The explanation of the $65 PA rental thing went over my tiny head. I always assumed that if you're doing shows on a regular basis, that you buy a PA and don't rent one.
Also, if Ronny doesn't do things the way most people do, and it's dysfunctional, it sounds like shit deal, and I'm not sure I'd want to be in that situation if I was booking shows. I'm sure there are 100 other places that could be turned into another Ronny's, and those establishments would be happy to have people coming in to buy drinks, out of clean glasses.
But most importantly, don't question things. Especially in public, cause it leads to dissent, and we can't have that. Just go about your business.

Looking forward to getting a box of shit in the mail,

Jay Ranz

agreed! this thread is awesome, and I have been very upfront and transparent with things.

- i am married, i thought my email was funny, no? everyone likes a little anal?!?! no?
- no kids
- thanks for giving the touring band extra money
- all clubs rent sound systems and quote them in expenses before you get paid, Empty Bottle, Metro, The Note, Double Door, Beat Kitchen, Subt, Schubas etc, none of them own the sound system, you think Ronny is going to go and buy a sound system?
- we have our ups and downs with Ronnys, we are trying to improve the place and if things don't get better or don't make sense, we will move on, I would rather polish a turd than get a paycheck from a bar owner no it all.
- I don't have a problem with questions, I just wish sometimes before questioning things people would try to understand what they are questioning, once you understand something feel free to shit talk and better yet, start doing your own shows, I am a big supporter of bands doing shit themselves.
- my only problem is when you called me a jackass and say I fuck people over when that is obviously not the case, but makes for fun shit talk, yes?

seriously, how was the Ronny's show?

no box of shit on the way, not my style, but I will take your band myspace out of our top 24 at www.myspace.com/mpshows

gotta go drop the kids off at the pool, see ya.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:08 pm

water jug w/cups - that's all I'm sayin'.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:09 pm

I will take your band myspace out of our top 24 at
I guess we're fucked.

And maybe I shouldn't have said jackasses. Maybe I should have said, "guys" or "dudes" or "people" or "guys" or "dudes".
As previously stated, I've actually never dealt directly with any MP Shows people. Like I said, I've always just been asked by whoever to play. I've never sought out a show. But, I can honestly say I've never, ever, ever, ever heard one single person speak a kind word about MP Show, or whatever came before MP Shows, and that's since the Fireside first got off the ground how many years ago? And since I actually know the people I've dealt with else where, maybe I felt that I was treated at least fairly at those places. Not any preferential treatment, but fairly. Maybe I've been getting screwed unknowingly by those guys too. Who knows.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:10 pm

I think you misunderstood Jay he does have kids, he was saying that he doesn't feed the kids off playing a show.

And you also misunderstood him when he saiddhe's not prepared to break up a marriage. He would totally do that, especially for a great big bear.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:11 pm

Oh, and Mike settled that night, and he just told me he felt alright about it.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:15 pm

how many clubs own sound systems and rent them to themselves?

Do large Mediterraneans encourage them to rent these things?

just askin.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:24 pm

you think Ronny is going to go and buy a sound system?

he would if the $65 was coming from his pocket.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:27 pm

ok, just to keep track
- Ludlow are pissed
- Gay Baby have 8 friends who had no kind words about 20,000 shows we did
- CoCoComa are mystified by the drop in the market
- bruce loves artists
- Kevin likes to see his name on message boards
- Sarah was bummed about getting paid for "working"
- Ronny used to style hair and does not wash dishes
- Brian Costello is more emo than me
- I am a bear
- this thread is dead
- CoCoComa are playing rip off Ronny's Nov. 6th with Demon Claws
- King Khan are playing the shitty Note Dec 1st in Chicago
did I miss anything?
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:30 pm

you forgot:

Ronny's has a unfortunate water shortage that must be remedied STAT!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

sorry, forgot...I don't go to Ronny's, it makes me itch, I just count the money cry about shit talkers.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:32 pm

The water issue has not been resolved. Can you please provide Bill with a bottle of water when he plays there? Or at least a jug and a couple of cups.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:33 pm

P.S. - we never used the words "rip-off" not once.

take it back.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:33 pm

Can you please provide Bill with a bottle of water when he plays there? Or at least a jug and a couple of cups.

preferably a jug - i'm one dehydrated muthafucker!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:34 pm

i will make sure my assistant hits costco on the way to the gig, do you like still or carbonated? on ice or room temp?

anyone that prints this thread and comes to the next Ronnys show will get a free beer or some anti-biotics, take your pick.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:35 pm

preferably a jug - i'm one dehydrated muthafucker!

god knows he ain't getting any of those at home...am i right ned?
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:37 pm

i will make sure my assistant hits costco on the way to the gig, do you like still or carbonated? on ice or room temp?

anyone that prints this thread and comes to the next Ronnys show will get a free beer or some anti-biotics, take your pick.

I'm not trying to be a jerk - seriously - it sucks when you can't get a water of any kind (bottled, carbonated, cup'o, etc.) in a club.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:39 pm

seriously, I will bring water to your next show, but I will have to add it to expenses and charge a handling fee, processing fee, storage fee and 15% on top of cost. YOU ARE KILLING THE SCENE!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:41 pm

wait - I thought YOU were killing the scene?.....my bad.

OH DAMN![i][/i]
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:11 am

MP Shows always done right by me.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:12 am

sweater puppies.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:23 am

Listen, I'm new to town, and have only been to Ronny's once, but don't you think "donation" is a little much? A donation implies it's optional. Is it? I mean, does MPShows operate on punk rock altruism? Next time I come to a show, can I decide not to "donate" to the door guy and just give $10 bucks to the bands?
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:30 am

Shut up, Joe.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:31 am

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:45 am

I got a job today and got to read this. AWESOME!

I even forgot about my sick kitty for a minute.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:46 am

Sorry to hear it. Diseased pussies are the worst.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:47 am

BP, I didn't take a shot at you, per say. I just knew from buttranga's description that it was probably a show you booked. And, if you don't remember when I'd tell you that some band was mad they only made 15-30 bucks, it's not really surprising, considering you didn't even remember that I worked for you (and worked for free for quite some time before you started paying me).
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:51 am

Sorry to hear it. Diseased pussies are the worst.

Jack, stop giving Arman such a hard time.

Ever tried hooking up an IV to a cat? Surprisingly, not nearly as bad as squirting a half tbsp of potassium down their throat.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:54 am

Ever tried hooking up an IV to a cat?

No, but I've seen people do this:

Anyway, shut up, No Big Thing.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:58 am

Sweet merciful crap, I'm off to affix masking tape to one of the other cats.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:08 am

when the door and sound person make double what all the bands do put together thats fucked up.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:13 am

when the door and sound person make double what all the bands do put together thats fucked up.

I completely agree with that statement.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:17 am

Sweet merciful crap, I'm off to affix masking tape to one of the other cats.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:36 am

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:01 am

i disagree. especially when the sound person who is trying to polish a turd like cococomas. yeah yeah, i know: man, we 'gotta' sound shitty...
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:30 am

especially when the sound person who is trying to polish a turd like cococomas.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:34 am

cococoma are Polish turds? what kind of polak name is fitzpatrick?
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:37 am

Speaking of Polish turds, arman, how do you stop the corpse from farting? I mean, that's a natural process, even after death, right? Cork?

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 3:17 am

Cork?

usually don't try to stop the body from purging as long as it does all that before i dress and casket them. any leakage after that is BAD news.

mike is a total polack: HE WORKS OUTSIDE!
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 3:32 am

he's got the Polish Lottery going on! He'll be rich soon!
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:04 pm

- CoCoComa are playing rip off Ronny's Nov. 6th with Demon Claws
In The Red's website has this as Nov. 5th as does Demon's Claws myspace page. If it's not Nov. 5th I'm gonna seriously fuck up all your punk scenes.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:47 pm

I am losing faith in Chicago. Unless you guys can add something to (equal or greater than) the effect of "charging for a cup of water", you will never beat the Murphy's thread. All four of them.

Somehow I knew we would get mentioned in this thread.

Ha.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:51 pm

hey Gay Baby....how was the show? i will post the finals from your show next.

Well, how'd they do???
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:59 pm

For the first time in my life I am glad I live in Nebraska where there is no scene to fuck up!
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 3:33 pm

the 5th is in milwaukee, the 6th in chicago. as far as i know.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 3:52 pm

confirmed
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:56 pm

anyway, i'll chime in: the germans played an MP show recently (opening for the vibrators). i haven't played an MP show in years, for the only reason being that i just haven't. i figured we were going to get the typical "first of four band" shaft, BUT there were people there early and they were actually watching us, not loitering around the bar. with that said, i was STILL surprised when we got $100. i don't know if that will happen again (it sure didn't at reggie's) any time soon, but i was surprised.
i know chris was pissed about the show at ronny's. i wasn't there, i was working, so i can't say for sure that i want to take sides, but an annoying truth about putting on shows are the expenses that are involved. when an outside promoter gets involved the staff will more than likely increase and maybe that door guy making 8 an hour might walk home with more $$$ than your band, but he's still walking away with 8 an hour. nothing to write home about, right?
i guess if y'all really want to get to the bottom of things, then have someone sit by the door with a clicker.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 5:01 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Great. bazooka joe got his period again.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 5:09 pm

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Wow, I don't know about big fancy Chicago, but where I'm from, door people work for booze, not money.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:01 pm

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Wow, I don't know about big fancy Chicago, but where I'm from, door people work for booze, not money.

and doctors work for chickens, apparentlly. y'all don't need none of those uppity, city-fied ways of a cash based economy.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:34 pm | Edited by: Ronnie Farnsworth

and doctors work for chickens, apparentlly. y'all don't need none of those uppity, city-fied ways of a cash based economy.

Continuing the analogy, the receptionist doesn't make what the doctor makes, chickens or cash.

edit: that doesn't really make 100% sense
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:37 pm

and to make this more "beverly hillbillies" the receptionist is one of elli-mae's goats or the chimp in a nurse outfit. just throw it a tin can or 2.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:38 pm

I play the spoons, bitches.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Is Ronny's open when there aren't shows? Is it a regular old bar when no bands are playing? What about bands' overhead? Regardless, why is furnishing some water that big of a deal? Questions, questions, floating inside the mind of the concerned young person today.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:55 pm

I play the spoons, bitches.
You should get ALL of the door. And several cups of water. Comped.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Continuing the analogy, the receptionist doesn't make what the doctor makes, chickens or cash.

edit: that doesn't really make 100% sense

it does when you take into acct that the doc is fucking the receptionist.

oh nurse!!!
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 7:00 pm

Is it a regular old bar when no bands are playing?

it used to be an old man puerto rican bar. i remember the first time i was there was almost 3 years ago to see some friends play and i was totally unsure that it was the right place because the front room was almost exclusively 50+ years old.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 7:01 pm

also, i think it may still be an afterwork place for the old crowd?
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 7:01 pm

Is Ronny's open when there aren't shows? yes

Is it a regular old bar when no bands are playing? yes, even when bands are playng, its a regular old, shitty bar

What about bands' overhead? bands are overhead if they are flyng out of town

Regardless, why is furnishing some water that big of a deal?
oh, forgot to tell you: ronny's is a survivalist hold-out. they are stockpiling water reserves for when the water wars shit hits the fan
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 7:19 pm

WATERWORLD!

COSTNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 8:28 pm

wow. i'm lovin' this thread. you chicago-ites really know how to rip each other new ones. i'm so glad/sad that i don't (yet) have anyone to rip on here in brooklyn.

$200 bought the P.A. that we use on the bridge. It isn't great and bands have to adjust their own volume on the shitty head behind them, but we don't have to shell out $65 everytime we wanna go buck wild. $21.66 is kinda a lot of money to not have to walk 3 feet behind you and turn a knob.

Have to agree completely with my man here. You are "renting" a PA weekly?! What is this, London circa 1920? How much bob for the flat by the week, guv'nah?

I mean most places at least would just call this expense "paying for the soundguy" and realistically, yes, if you have to bring a guy extra special to run the soundboard for 3-4 hours, he's probably gonna have to get like 40-60 bucks at least (unless he/she's a wino, they're shitty sound guys but might do it for the booze)... how is the sound at this place? it must be like disney magic if you have bring in specialists from the outside... if we're just talking a pa with a couple of speakers, not miking the drums or anything besides the vocals, come on! the bands can do that BETTER than the sound guy!

anyway, i have a solution to all your middle-of-the-country problems. All of your good bands (Cococoma & Mannequin Men have first dibs) can move here, and play Don Pedro every week. Then this bar you're bitchin' about can go back to being an old dude's place.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:14 pm

anyway, i have a solution to all your middle-of-the-country problems. All of your good bands (Cococoma & Mannequin Men have first dibs) can move here, and play Don Pedro every week.

GREAT IDEA! then they can kick their drummers out cuz no one's paying for him to get his gear to the club and he's pissed about it! At least if they kick out their drummers they can get dtrain to fill in. oh, wait...
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Ah ha! But what you don't know is that I have purchased a junky drum kit plastered with obscure northeast hardcore stickers for use at Don Pedro!!! It was christened last Saturday! Drama averted!
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 11:30 pm

...still better than the Empty Butthole
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 2:15 am

you chicago-ites really know how to rip each other new ones.

uh, have you not been reading the cat fight with dtrain and whats-her-name????
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 2:25 am

...still better than the Empty Butthole

Surprising as it may seem, any band I've played with has been treated well by the Bottle.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 2:29 am

company woman.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 2:42 am

that would make you the company knave
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 3:15 am

I feel honoured that us Hipshakes have been loosely associated with two of the best rant threads recently, this and the Cleen Teens one. Thankyou Jesus for putting me on this earth
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 4:25 am

shutup, kissass limey
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 5:05 am

hipshakes r gay
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 7:05 am

uh, have you not been reading the cat fight with dtrain and whats-her-name????

eh, we got nothing on you guys... what did we manage to conjure up in terms of a hatin' thread? like 8 posts. big wup. you guys generate like 200 a day!

like i said, your best bands can move here and we'll just make up drama to make them feel at home...
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 8:02 pm

I think Ronnies doesn't have a sink back there, hence the no water. That place is disgusting.

I am surprised this bothers you, BP. People have been picking on you for years! I'd think you were used to it. I, however, am your biggest fan.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 8:07 pm

Ronny's is an awesome little shit hole to watch music. I love it there. Take one look around, or step onto the molding deck, and it becomes blatantly clear that you're not gonna pull in $400. It's fun for goodness sake!

Still wish there was another all ages venue with a bar in it...
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 8:25 pm

I feel honoured that us Hipshakes have been loosely associated with two of the best rant threads recently, this and the Cleen Teens one. Thankyou Jesus for putting me on this earth

Hang around long enough, keed, and you'll be at the center of one o'them rant threads. Maybe when you sign to Matador or something.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:18 pm | Edited by: cococomas

and it becomes blatantly clear that you're not gonna pull in $400. It's fun for goodness sake!

no one's expecting to pull in $400 (and if you are - um, well...) - I think the beef was that the 'club' got paid more than the band... I completely agree about the fun factor - I'm glad shows are being booked there...plus it's close to my house, YAY!

anyone got a glass of water?
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:28 pm

alex should be geting 4 MILLION a show. YEAH!
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:29 pm

I'm glad shows are being booked there...plus it's close to my house, YAY!

anyone got a glass of water?

you're gonna need that water if you keep shitting where you eat, dick!
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:32 pm | Edited by: cococomas

who's shitting? - I'm freakin' constipated!

(and btw - the "you" I was referring was not Alex - it was just the general "you" in question)
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:39 pm

and btw - the "you" I was referring was not Alex

doesn't matter. she's the biggest star ever! i'm booking her in harrisburg. she'll be lucky to get a side of amish potato salad.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm

doesn't matter. she's the biggest star ever! i'm booking her in harrisburg. she'll be lucky to get a side of amish potato salad.

At Small's ? Good Luck on that place. They seem to book good stuff but word has it that there's just no crowd to come to the shows... even the politest of bands have told me they're not going back there.

maybe you could book the middle of a cowpie field instead... get that 'natural' essence out there.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:53 pm

At Small's ? Good Luck on that place. They seem to book good stuff but word has it that there's just no crowd to come to the shows... even the politest of bands have told me they're not going back there.

dude, i'm going to change all that. you think i'm gonna move there and sit idly by? i'm taking the fuck over, just like i did here. so expect a good two shows a year and some wyld record hops with no one on the dance floor!
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 10:15 pm | Edited by: hullabaloo_nyc

dude, i'm going to change all that. you think i'm gonna move there and sit idly by? i'm taking the fuck over, just like i did here. so expect a good two shows a year and some wyld record hops with no one on the dance floor!

niiiiiiice. next time i'm herding cattle over there i will TOTALLY stop by and do the slop!
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 10:20 pm

but seriously, after i get there, shit's gonna change for the better.

musically speaking.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 10:29 pm

musically speaking.

damn. i really thought we were talking about cattle-herding.

moooooooooooooo!
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 12:41 pm

but seriously, after i get there, shit's gonna change for the better.

you're going to have to fight the likes of these guys: http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/uploads/2007/04/shaggy.JPG
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 6:52 pm

I LOVE BRIAN PETERSON.
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 9:47 pm

<br> thats because they live in garbage cans and starve their dogs playing the cardboard box on the side of the street
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 4:10 am

- all clubs rent sound systems and quote them in expenses before you get paid, Empty Bottle, Metro, The Note, Double Door, Beat Kitchen, Subt, Schubas etc, none of them own the sound system, you think Ronny is going to go and buy a sound system?

just for the record, i now know for a fact that three of the above clubs DO in fact own their own sound systems and don't charge you to use them. you know why? because they're not retarded.
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 7:32 pm

Man, reading this thread just makes me realize why I haven't toured in the states for so long.

And it makes me give thanks for Beerland, a club where they never take anything out of the door to pay for anything. The doorman or soundguy, as they are club employees, get paid by the club. They also own their own PA, and never charge bands for that, either. It's simple - bands get the door, bar gets the bar. If nobody shows up, you don't make any money, but at least you aren't getting screwed, and you get to hang out with Billy, Max, and Randall. They'll even give you a glass of water if you are thirsty.

Personally, after getting ripped off by shady bars a few too many times, I'd rather play to NOBODY at Beerland, and make nothing, but at least know I'm being treated fairly, than play to a big crowd somewhere else and have to but up with some bullshit. Or, play to nobody somewhere else and STILL get screwed out of my 15 bucks or whatever paltry sum I would've made.

So big thanks to Beerland for always being honest in all dealings with the bands. When you go there all the time you start to take it for granted, so it's nice to be reminded how fucked up it can be somewhere else.
Posted: Oct 22, 2007 7:46 pm

This is crazy! I just solved this whole problem. Any band playing Ronny's that is upset with the amount of money they didn't make, just needs to stop sucking. Quit crying, play harder, get more people into your music, and then you can play the metro--the BIG TIME! with BIG MONEY!

are you guys serious? if 15 people come out and see you, you're not gonna make anything. you can't make a dollar out of fifteen cents
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 1:51 am

one of jay's daughter's has already played the metro.

are you guys serious? if 15 people come out and see you, you're not gonna make anything. you can't make a dollar out of fifteen cents

i don't think i've ever seen a show at ronny's with only 15 people.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 3:20 am

having worked sound for many years i would say id much rather pay 60 bucks than to have to carry even a medium sized pa around set it up and tear down. i have a simple set up now, 8 channel board, 2 amps, 2 loudspeakers, 1 monitor, mics, stands and cables and its a bitch to move around and set up.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 3:20 am

for 15 people though you might as well sing through a guitar amp or something for all the difference it would make.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 3:22 am

i have a simple set up now, 8 channel board, 2 amps, 2 loudspeakers, 1 monitor, mics, stands and cables and its a bitch to move around and set up.

Yep. And hope it doesn't get fucked up somehow.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 3:31 am

stuff gets fucked up just by moving it!
still, a smaller bar could easily buy a decent used PA for 5-600 bucks and just leave it set up.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 3:33 am | Edited by: bradx

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:11 am

HEY JACK!

This thread is so "Deja Vu" isn't it?
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:14 am

still, a smaller bar could easily buy a decent used PA for 5-600 bucks and just leave it set up.

hence the logic of playing at cal's. mike checks the levels. the room sounds fine unless you want it to sound good. nick makes everyone pay even though its donation. besides, cal's has way more character and history than ronny's ever could hope for. on top of that, i'm pretty sure you can make way more $$$ at cal's than ronny's.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:20 am

Hmmm.
I think I've heard this all before...

like A MILLION TIMES.

shit, we were paying $50 for sound twenty years ago!!!

Even if the club DOES own the PA, you still have to pay some one to run/ babysit the system or it gets TRASHED.
Either accept the fact that you will have to pay for an extra member for the night (if a sound person really cares) or bring your own gear.
Simple.

I do not think it is fair to a venue to have to absorb all of the cost for production.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:32 am

i'm pretty sure you can make way more $$$ at cal's than ronny's.

I'm pretty sure of that too....

Come see us at Ronny's on November 6th with the Demon's Claws & the Coathangers!!!
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:37 am

That's right boohyah.

If you think about a club having to not only buy a sound system, which we spent way more than 5-600 dollars, but paying a sound person whether or not there is 1 person or 100 @ $50 per gig- it starts to add up.

Lets say you do 4 shows a week and have to pay out $50 per show for your sound guy, that's $800 per month with or without profit involved.

That could be rent in some places.

I understand all aspects of this business as I have been on all sides of it from musician to sound/ doorman to bartender to now being an owner.

One of the best shows I have seen at my own place was the Gris Gris and they used a Fender Twin Reverb for vocals. It was perfect for the size of the room and genre.

That being said, only the Artists can truly know what they are going to need as far as sound goes. So, shouldn't it be the one thing besides showing up and rocking that the band should be responsible for?

I never try to make a dime off of the door, but I have always said that sound should be paid by the band.

$800 x 12 months.

I could do a lot of improvement to sound and everything else for that amount.

The incentive should be the best sound for your act. If it costs $50, so be it.

However, I still cough it up.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:39 am

and I love it...
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:41 am

most of the time.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:42 am

tuff bidness.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:47 am

i bought a used 200 watt powered mixer and 2 huge peaveys loaded with 15" black widows for 200 bucks. theres nothing you could do to trash it. got an old traynor monitor with 12" woofer and horn for 40 bucks. nady makes nice xlr mics for 5 bucks, with boom stand for 20. cheap mic cables are 5 bucks. decent subs are readily available in the 150 dollar range.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 4:55 am

ii bought a used 200 watt powered mixer and 2 huge peaveys loaded with 15" black widows for 200 bucks. theres nothing you could do to trash it. got an old traynor monitor with 12" woofer and horn for 40 bucks. nady makes nice xlr mics for 5 bucks, with boom stand for 20. cheap mic cables are 5 bucks. decent subs are readily available in the 150 dollar range.

cool.

show up with it any time there's a show. for free.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:00 am

set one up in the bar and you wouldnt have to rent one. find a drunk who likes live music and knows how to push a fader and youre all set to go. just leave it set up and all you have to do is turn it on and make a few minor adjustments. a reasonably intelligent first grader could probably do sound if everythings already set up from the last band that played through it in the same room.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:00 am

i did do sound for years, for free, in both live theater setting and for bands. good way to learn.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:02 am

QUINN!!!
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:04 am

Oh yeah,

He's at my bar playing right now AND working the house PA.

AND I'll have to pay him and get him drunk at my expense.

A story as old as time...
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:08 am

train a monkey to do sound. its really really easy if everythings already set up.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:19 am

We work all genres and I just can't seem to buy your statement as I, too, have not only worked sound and lights and carpentry in the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees (IATSE local 69), but also have performed in many countries of the world.

You can't expect a "monkey" to be able to dial in on phantom-powered bluegrass instruments and then roll into some DAT rap and then hardcore.

It just ain't as easy as you say.

If every bar was locked into one specific genre all the time it would be. But then again, it would suck.

You have to have some one that not only can work any and all situations, but some one to be responsible for ANY decent sound equipment.

We just did a national touring act (Sound of Urchin) with our house PA and sound man. It sounded great and they were blown away by our hospitality.

What about the towns where that wasn't true. Wouldn't you prefer to have the best person for the room?
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:26 am

train a monkey to do sound. its really really easy if everythings already set up.

QUINN!!!
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:38 am

hey i think the 50-60 bucks is a fair price im just talkin shit
my training was in high school stagecraft where i did sound for plays and concerts
i wrapped mic cables for one of wisconsins biggest sound and lighting companies for a couple years, did some followspot, etc.
then finally moved on to working here, where i was in charge of sound for numerous plays and other productions.
that was all back when i was a teenager. i also worked for various companies helping out with setting up and tearing down for county fairs and other large events.
then my band started putting out some singles got on the cover of maximumrocknroll and i was sure i was set for life...

fast forward a dozen years and a million beers and i sit around on message boards talking shit. enjoy.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 5:45 am

i remember when tracking down sound effects back in the old pre internet days some fun innovations apart from the local library sound effects collection...

one time i needed the sound of a baseball being hit for damn yankees. this was pre cd burning era so i brought a portable tape recorder into the abandoned apartments above the theatre and recorded myself smashing some holes in the wall.

using tape and trying to time the sound of the ball being hit to the swing the actor made on stage was for me impossible, also some idiot set up monitors outside the dressing rooms (under the stage) without telling me. when i turned up the levels on opening night a feedback loop kicked in that had the chandaliers shaking.

they wouldnt let me bring in an assistant even though the board was in the balcony and required me to run down 3 flights of stairs and across the theatre to make even minor adjustments on stage.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 7:03 pm

I thought Quinn was paid outta the door on weeknights hence the rental fee?
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 7:47 pm

hence the rental fee

uh oh...here we go again
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 8:11 pm

We work all genres and I just can't seem to buy your statement as I, too, have not only worked sound and lights and carpentry in the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees (IATSE local 69), but also have performed in many countries of the world.

cue strings/tearjerky music... montage of the "workers" marching, etc.

You can't expect a "monkey" to be able to dial in on phantom-powered bluegrass instruments and then roll into some DAT rap and then hardcore.
It just ain't as easy as you say.
If every bar was locked into one specific genre all the time it would be. But then again, it would suck.

Would it really? Would having bars with soul/feeling/unique vibe, that stick to their guns musically, that would really suck? I think the problem lies with bar/venues that will do any kind of music-- they will sell their venue to whoever wants to come in and play twee or jazz fusion or whatever.. understandable on the money level, but.... There are plenty of places for indierockers to play everywhere. We don't need any more venues for them, or their fake rap. what we need is places that stick to real rock'n'roll, for which the sound setup is pretty fucking basic & easy.

no union card or "international experience" required.
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 8:11 pm

No I just want to know if Quinn got paid from the bar and the door. Weeknight fees make sense to me but I do think weekends (fri and sat at least) should be free. But that is my opinion, I don't know all the costs associated with running a bar, profit margins, etc. I'm just glad that Benny lets us play more or less hassle free whenever we want to. Murphy's rules!
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Murphy's rules!

indeed it does, but they need windows that don't crack so easily.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®