Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / Hue Blanc's Joyless Ones/Pink Reason summer west coast tour
Posted: Mar 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Wed July 11th Green Bay
Thu July 12th Fargo, ND
Fri July 13th Missoula, MT
Sat July 14th Seattle, WA
Sun July 15th Bellingham, WA
Mon July 16th Portland, OR
Tue July 17th Sacramento or Davis
Wed July 18th San Francisco
Thu July 19th Oakland
Fri July 20th Salt Lake City
Sat July 21st Denver
Sun July 22nd Lincoln

Here's the dates/locations. We're looking for help in some of these places, so if you live in them, just let us know if you can help us out or put us in contact with people who can. We'll have a split tour 7" available that will feature each band covering two of the others songs. No originals!
Posted: Mar 23, 2007 8:35 pm

i got your lincoln nebraska right here, stupid faces.
Posted: Mar 23, 2007 8:39 pm

cool. I figured. I was gonna email ya myself, but I thought I'd just throw this shit up here first. Does anything in Denver exist? Is there somewhere better to play instead?
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 12:41 am

Play Champaign/ Bloomington, Il on your way back!
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 1:00 am

I dunno if that's possible, we're on a very tight schedule, but if it's worth it to play there we'd love to come down togeather for some weekend. Lemme know about what's going on there.

vint.pervitin (at) gmail
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 1:16 am

hey- we played together in green bay (i play in dark skies) we could help in portland.
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 1:30 am

I *think* I got Portland under control. I'm trying to get it set up at Rotture. We (Pink Reason) played there before and like the venue alot. I'm trying to find good local bands in all these places though to help with draw and shit too. You guys got a myspace?
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 2:26 am

hey joe - i'm wearing your t shirt.
people think it's the funniest thing on the planet.
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 3:05 am

No Vancouver? Fuck Bellingham!!!
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 3:25 am

Trust me. If any of us were able to get across the border, we'd be in Vancouver. It's one of the coolest places I've ever played. We would all like to go, but that's why we're giving you Canadian fuckers Bellingham, cause we're certainly not playing there because we like hippies.

If anyone knows of a way to smuggle criminals across the border, let us know and we'll gladly play.
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 4:04 am

Fair enough, i forgot you guys had to pay last time.
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 3:25 pm

we got a myspace but we got no draw.
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Don't play Rotture. That place is Anti- PDX Goner. You will have no one that posts on here (ie, the folks in town that truly "get it") at the show. On a Monday there you might have pracatically no one there to begin with,but we can help y'all out and treat ya right (by "we" i mean the collective hospitality of the friends,not some scenester shit,i know how people get bent outta shape when you say that "We" word). I know that sounds snobby but it's the truth. The place might look good but its strictly Indie Squaresville that don't promote non-Indie shows as well as they should.

If you simply must play there,i'd love to help book something earlier in the evening with either Reptilian Civilian and-or Brainhole... that'll bring some people to the show!
Posted: Mar 24, 2007 11:10 pm

nice one joe. i think i like routture but it's more for the "join me in the bathroom?" crowd.

we played there once, with easy action. that was a rad show.

what about the paragon?
Posted: Mar 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Well, I guess if people boycott the place we better not play there or set something up earlier too, but we played there on our last tour and that place took such good care of us. They gave as many drink tickets as we asked for and they were buying us shots of tequila, they fed us, and they gave us all of the door money. That's pretty unheard of behavior for a club. I really liked the atmosphere too. There wasn't a huge amount of people at our show, but everyone that showed up seemed pretty cool to me.
Posted: Mar 25, 2007 4:55 pm

woops, that was me.
Posted: Mar 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Well i'm glad that Easy Action show turned out well,joed. I know they didn't bother w/actually promoting it though,so you can see how i can get the impression they would treat performers w/non-Olympia sensibilities by wearing a Hazmat suit and handling it w/tongs. I'm also glad they kicked it down for you guys when it came to band amentites so i definitely have to hand it to 'em for that. Good for them.

I admit i'm definitely skeptical about any place affiliated with or gets praise in the local Pitchfork Media sewer/Alt Weekly Portland Mercury. There's no intentional boycott of the place by any of us,there's just a big social disconnect between us Alcoholic Shit Rocker types and the WhiteBeltNeckBeardArtFag crowd the place usually caters to. That's why i said it was "Anti-Pdx Goner". I'd also like to see ya's play w/ some good locals that'll bring the faces behind these posts. I don't wanna see you guys have to suffer thru some half-assed Laptop Jockey fake "noise" acts when there's so many great bands here to really check out.

I may talk shit but i know i can be wrong too. The Paragon would be a pretty great place to book it though.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 1:06 am

so let's boycott the social disconnect.

let's all be friends. joe p, before you leave this town, i want you to help unite the garage rockers with the stoners, the metal kids, the haircuts, the fashionists, and you name it.

i think this attitude of elitism comes from ALL sides. let's break it down and have some REAL fun.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 1:12 am

Weird, not the vibe I got from that place at all. I didn't see a single white belt or pretentious hipster in the place. I talked to most of the people at the show and it was mostly nerdy record collector types, and a couple of sexy girls into good music.

Like I said though, if you know places/bands that will bring out the people, by all means we need yer help and will be glad to go through you instead.

I mostly was interested in playing Rotture because they took such good care of us.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 1:32 am

Also, Portland Mercury did a writeup on Pink Reason and wrote some really good stuff about us for that show too. Uh oh. When we played Foodhole with all noise bands, we apparantly caused the first moshpit there ever.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 1:54 am

keep the show at rotture. they like you. just ask them to put a good local band on the bill that will bring people out.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 2:33 am

I'm honestly open to playing anywhere. If there is a place that people are more comfortable coming to, that's cool, we'll play there then. I don't wanna end up having nobody at the show because of some weird scene politics involving the venue or something. I am not from Portland so I know nothing about that stuff. Like I said, I got a completely different impression of the place from the way it's coming out here.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 2:35 am

Also, what are the good bands in Portland that will bring people out? I don't really know much about what's going on there apart from like Argumentix, whom I really doubt would bring out the Goners.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 5:45 am

every single venue in town has a group of people that don't go there. don't worry about what the goners in portland will or wont do, i think there's probably 7-9 of them, myself included.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 6:07 am | Edited by: banned

Sounds good. I really like Rotture myself. Personally, I generally go wherever I gotta to see bands I wanna see. I'm sure PDX Goners can do the same, even if only to catch Hue Blanc's Joyless Ones, who, well, they're just the best band in the whole world, especially live.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 3:28 pm | Edited by: kevin e

Does anything in Denver exist?

I don't live there but the places to play used to be The Larimer Lounge and The 15th St. Tavern.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 7:58 pm

hey i emailed you back, i just saw that you're coming through slut lake in july. i'll probably have something going by then so lets plan on it. and i'll start working on a venue if you need one
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:28 am

Clif said: "Play Champaign/ Bloomington, Il on your way back!"

Are there any cool places to play in Champaign/Bloomington?
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:34 am

good bands in Portland that will bring people out?

Talk to Dave at the Tonic, he has an uncanny knack for putting together rad shows, and he's a good friend of mine and I'll tell him to watch out for you guys. They have a myspace page its the Tonic Lounge. They also treat you right there, and lots o people will go to shows there.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 10:08 am

So why is portland called pdx ? I know Im stupid.. But it gets on my fucking nerves...
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 10:41 am

and a couple of sexy girls into good music.

They must not have been there to see you.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 3:21 pm

It's called PDX because it's the airport code for the place.

The show is booked, it's at Rotture and it's with Tall Birds from Seattle and I'm asking Argumentix from Portland to play too. Hope to see y'all out there despite the "hipster" location.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 3:24 pm

They must not have been there to see you.

Half of yer posts are in response to us playing shows. You care alot.
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 6:44 pm

OK. Rotture. At least it's not Dante's. See you there. I'll even make a flyer because i still don't think they will.

I know i seem like a dick about this stuff but i feel a need to help out bands that wanna come through here. This town's dong really great for music and ultimately i just wanna see folks get a good impression of Portland. It seems like Pink Reason's gotten the Red Carpet from the usually dubious-at-best Mercury and its comrades,so roll w/it. My conclusions on here are based on personal experience,i'm not gonna just shit-talk on here w/out backing up my claims.

And joed,you severely underestimate Portland's presence on this Board. More like 60-70 AT LEAST. There's only a few regular people that always post. We can't get enough,others can. To give you an idea how Gonered this town is,keep in mind that last night a local band that i don't play in covered "Bad Man" at a show i had nothing to do w/booking at a place i won't set foot in. What other cities west of Memphis or Chicago does that happen in?
San Francisco? Rapid City? Nope.

The Board has a thousand eyes... in Portland!
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 7:21 am

What other cities west of Memphis or Chicago does that happen in?
i covered it in utah once
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 6:54 pm

Yeah but it's different when it's a band you don't play in or really have any contact with outside of playing shows together. I used to be able to count all the folks that have heard of the Oblivians in Portland on one hand,but now its not uncommon to just meet someone for the first time and hear 'em play 'Blivs or Reigning Sound on their car stereos(or hear it in random rotation thru some bar PA,etc.).

Even the SIN Night poseur-type crowd came out in droves for the last Detroit Cobras/RS show that happened here. A couple of years ago that wouldn't have happened. Even if most of 'em were there for DCobras there's still a peripheral influence of the Goner whateverthehellthisiscalled thing infiltrating and sticking in someone's brain. The Dirtbombs are huge like that here too,a lot of people that go see 'em at Dante's are mostly the same ones that snubbed the Gories just a few years earlier. The Black Lips will be next,judging by the turnout of their last Dante's show.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. It's great for merch sales and guarantees.I just think the idea that there's only 6 or 7 people in this town that are "actual" Goners because they're the only regular ones that post on the Board is rdiculous.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 7:44 pm

totally. theres lurkers everywhere.
i have a few friends who lurk here that won't say anything. and i was surprised at the amount of people who knew about the oblivians and reatards and even impala when i moved here in 2000
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 10:20 pm

Laptop Jockey

Hey Joe! I spy with my little eye something beginning with "L" and it's not a luddite either. Check it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leftpeg/262727902/
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 11:21 pm

Yep. I used to use a laptop as a backing band. I've also done solo acoustic sets, played with just a toy keyboard and even done shows that were simply accapella.

Nowadays I'm lucky enough to have a large supply of musicians who are more than happy to back me up live. You can check out pictures here:

http://a711.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_cba5199e3e0cb74d5ea d07d207c0d7f6.jpg

http://a154.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/54/l_24fbd1656111740bf52 fc275b10366d9.jpg

http://a278.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/18/l_f0c4f4a824a5e5bd22a c69bfd8b081bd.jpg
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:57 pm

Whatever. You have to resort to using it sometimes. I'm just jealous because i can't afford an actual computer. He still ain't one of these squares around here half-assin' it you know,he got on thestick and got a full lineup going.

Gotta go listen to those Luddites Throbbing Gristle now...
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 6:46 am

joe,
i bet you could totally find a laptop or cheap pc on craigslist.
i got my laptop from a friend for 150. they're out there.
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 12:28 am | Edited by: Casey

I suppose this may have been flushed out already if anyone had it, but I figure it's worth a shot, does anyone have a Fargo, ND connection? Or the equivalent, be it closer to Missoula but not closer to Green Bay? Respond or contact Kevin or e-mail Hue Blanc at hotmail.com

Thank you,
Casey
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 3:24 am

we played fargo one time.....wasn't so great, but we got tons of free drinks. i can't remember the guys name....he was a friend of jg's from the feelers....he's from fargo....maybe ask him?

oh and i think the bar was called the aquarium? not 100% sure though
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 2:58 pm

good thinkin'. forgot he's from there.
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Posted: Apr 26, 2007 6:47 pm

yep....that's the guy. nobody really came to see us, but he made really cool posters
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 6:51 pm

i always have a decent time in fargo.
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 6:55 pm

it was one of our lesser fun nights of tour. nobody offered us a place to stay, and jeff fell down the stairs and hurt his ankle pretty bad. the local band was not very good.....seems like we made ok money though....and when i went back inside to ask directions to the interstate we ended up getting offered the floor of the guy that booked it's house.
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 8:37 pm

eat at duanes pizza while there. and taco johns. For me.
- jon
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®