Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 6:51 pm

OK kids, It's stomp time Tix go on sale today for the Ponderosa Stomp. HERE. IN NEW ORLEANS!
the actual Stomp is May 2nd and it's at the House Of Blues (the big one, not Guitar Joes)
here's a basic linup... we just got an outside stage too, so there will be more.

big room stage
lil buck with buckwheat with al johnson'
skip pitts with lil buck and top cats
dennis coffey lil buck with top cats
roy head lil buck and top cats
willie tee lil buck and top cats
barbara lynn lil buck and top cats
lazy lester lil buck and top cats
wardell quezergue and his new orleans rhythm and blues revue with special guests jean knigt and tony owens
roky erickson and the explosives
augie meyers
guitar lightnin

parish room
rockie charles
jay chevalier
eddie kirkland
kenny brown and bobby rush
little jimmy scott
dann penn and bobby emmons
henry gray
al johnson
dan penn and bobby emmons
deke dickerson rockabilly revue with dale hawkins,joe clay,roy head and matt lucas
AND ALSO

@ Circle Bar
Monday April 30th Little Freddie King
Tuesday May 1st SIMEON (of Silver Apples)
Thursday May 2nd Dennis Coffey

SIMEON and DENNIS COFFEY!
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 7:28 pm

Looks great this year! STOMP!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 7:32 pm

hell yeah. looks like imma be makin' a trip to new orleans in may! :D
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 7:49 pm

It would be much better at Joe's House of Blues. DOOBIE BROTHERS WOMP WOMP!!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 8:21 pm

Is Dave Bartholomew still playing? He's listed on the Stomp's wesite and poster...
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 8:36 pm

sorry, Yes! and there's other stuff I haven't put up. this is most of it, not all of it is confirmed. last year there were people just showing up to play. Enocky being the most incredible of those (in my opinion). ...yeah, I forgot, Bartholomew is really Important. He wasn't on my first email list, so, he got left off here.
Posted: Feb 10, 2007 11:14 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

yeah, bartholomew, awesome!

besides roky I was going to say there's not much new here. but dave bartholomew, that's exciting.

that and the fact that jazzfest actually looks half decent this year.. I'm gonna be spending some money that week.
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 12:07 am

Watching Buckwheat rock the B3 is a thrill-anna-half. So much music in him.
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 12:35 am

I haven't missed one yet, but this might be the year. I've seen a lot of the performers before and Roky's playing here next month, so...Dan Penn and Jimmy Scott would be awesome, but...flying from CA for one night...I dunno...
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 12:54 am

I'm glad to see the Stomp back in NOLA, but I thought the same thing...only 1 night? That pretty much means no way to swing it for me
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 1:41 am

I haven't missed one yet, but this might be the year. I've seen a lot of the performers before and Roky's playing here next month, so...Dan Penn and Jimmy Scott would be awesome, but...flying from CA for one night...I dunno...

yeah but ZZ TOP is playing a couple days later!
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 2:27 am

A Sonics reunion would get me there. Question Mark would probably do it too, although I heard they're doing a full tour this summer. Hope so.
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 2:55 am

zzz...
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 4:10 am

the Stomp itself is just one night, but expect plenty of musical tomfoolery the nights before and after at venues like the Circle Bar and the Ogden Museum... like Simeon from the Silver Apples, and Dennis Coffey (see above... more to be announced...
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 4:58 am

zzz...
no place to sleep in NO
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 9:09 pm

Augie Meyers!
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 4:35 am

Don't miss Jimmy Scott. Seriously something special.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 3:28 pm

I may have to be headed down that way this year.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 3:58 am

I just saw Simeon... with his new simeon. pretty cool.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 4:38 pm | Edited by: CreepySexyCool

Hey DLP - any idea what's going on with Lil Bob and the Lollipops these days? Haven't seen them in the line-up for a couple of years.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Lil Bob had a stroke (post storm ...i think) was shipped of to TX for a while, and currently lives back in Louisiana at a old folks home, ...It's widely believed (by the Knights) that putting him back onstage is not a good Idea. Damn shame, but he's got a hell of a constitution.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Man, that really is a shame! He sang some really cool songs . . .
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Tuesday May 1st SIMEON
How did it take me 2 months to notice this?
It just made my brain melt with glee
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 10:47 pm

I'm working on a surprise for the simeon night! cross fingers

these Important facts Just in...

the ernie vincent show (tues) has been moved to the circle bar (early! 6pm), and then on to the Simeon/ VLADM show, I know... long night, not my fault, show must go on...

AND my persistance prevails, I had been begging for this one...

We will have ANOTHER stage at the Stomp! It turns out the house of Rules people are dumb enough to let the Knights take over the whole fucking place(I WISH I could bring my own bartenders)...

Patio Stage (for solo, or acoustic performances)
Skip Easterling
Jay Chevalier
Eddie Kirkland (do not MISS!)
Henry Gray
Al "carnival time" Johnson - Piano set
Kenny Brown and Bobby Rush
Rockie Charles
Lazy Lester
little Freddie King

Buy Tickets NOW! THIS SHOW IS LIKELY TO SELL OUT! we're talking 1500 CAPACITY! I CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH ABOUT GETTING PEOPLE IN, WE HAVE TO PAY A LOT OF PEOPLE, AND WILL NOT HAVE THE VOLUNTEER STAFF WE HAD ALLOWED FOR IN THE PAST.

DLP
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Fucking house of blues! Every time I go there I say it's the last.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 2:08 am

I'm finally getting out of Atlanta for a bit and going to this. I've heard people dump on the house of blues and I've only been there once before a long time ago so I don't remember what it's like. As long as drinks aren't too pricy and I can take a piss regularly it should be fine. How's the sound? I'm pretty much going to make sure that I see Roky Erickson while he's out and about because I don't forsee him coming to Atlanta any time soon. If anyone wants to recommend places near Hotel Le Cirque to eat or check out I'm all ears.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 4:14 pm

Martel wrote a really cool guide to the city for "the Rockening", I'll see if I can make some time to xerox them for the stomp... potentially only partially accurate due to fuckin flood.

best thing about House of Blues ...Bathrooms
worst thing about HoB ...I want to take a shit on everything else

Sound System is state of the art, and you can see the bands from just about anywhere.

drawback.... more like Disneyland than the french quarter, and also in the french quarter.

I fought for it to not be there, but in the end, I agree with the rest of the board. It is the best venue in NOLA for us right now.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 10:26 pm

drinks at HOB are expensive by new orleans standards but probably not too bad compared to most big venues in big cities.

I don't mind paying the $40 and I couldn't think of a better venue for it either. I'm just afraid I'm going to have an onset of rage for some reason and be forced to leave, and $40 is a lot of dough to waste.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 10:32 pm

speaking of which Lefty, aren't most HOB shows are set up so that once you leave you can't come back in? Is the Stomp going to be this way?

This could be a dealbreaker for me, I don't know if I have the will to stay inside that place for 10 hours or whatever drinking watered down $6 cocktails. I'd need a respite around the corner at the Chart Room and maybe a snack at Country Flame.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 11:39 pm

My ticket says "NO RE-ENTRY." Well, then, what are the usual stamp & bracelet for? The Cinemax Bar is right across the street!!! What if i want to visit it??????????????????????????????????????
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 7:47 am

Hey guys, a few months ago I talked to Dr. Ike and asked him about the HoB's no ins and outs policy. He told me that it's been suspended for this event. Also the no photography rule has been yanked for the night.

As for sound, he's old pals with the sound man and assured me that it'll surpass sound at the Rock n Bowl.

and I am optimistic that the HoB bartenders have got to be better than the churls at the Gibson last year!

Got my tix! see y'all there!
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Hey guys, a few months ago I talked to Dr. Ike and asked him about the HoB's no ins and outs policy. He told me that it's been suspended for this event. Also the no photography rule has been yanked for the night.

this was our stipulation... no photos or in/out ...no stomp.

As for sound, he's old pals with the sound man and assured me that it'll surpass sound at the Rock n Bowl.

at rock n bowl we had our own guys; saint jason and saint andrew, but the board was crap, and we found several blown speakers ...it was pretty lousy in general, and we never had plans to do it there again ...pre flood.

and I am optimistic that the HoB bartenders have got to be better than the churls at the Gibson last year!

uh... Memphis, get Stephanie to teach people how to make drinks. ok?

seriously, hired catering bartenders (of Memphis) sucked, and I personally know a few HOB tenders, they're not horrible, but they work with a pour system (exacty ...i bet... 3 oz.(should be 4)) so... that kinda sucks... either way French Quarter prices are about 2/3 to 1/2 of NYC/Chicago/LA prices ...so deal.

The Cinemax Bar is right across the street!!! What if i want to visit it??????????????????????????????????????

maybe we can set up a cctv camera just for you (bateocam)

this just in... Viva l'american death ray music is on for thursday w/ Dennis Coffey @ circle bar

...and there should be a surprise w/ Little Freddie King on Monday.

...and another earlier in the day on the main stage! I haven't been cleared to tell y'all, but I excited!

Mike Hurtt and his haunted hearts should also be appearing again @ Circle Bar ...hasn't been worked out yet.

I don't mind paying the $40 and I couldn't think of a better venue for it either. I'm just afraid I'm going to have an onset of rage for some reason and be forced to leave, and $40 is a lot of dough to waste.

I'm still wary about controlling my rage, but, if anything ROKY! should do it.

Also... as of this moment this is an Addcock free event.

Lefty

P.S. for you (i dunno? ...someone has to be) Addcock fans, there will be a KOTMM showcase at the cabildo (Jackson Square) with swamp pop heros Tommy Mclain, Rod Bernard, Warren Storm, and Lazy Lester w/ Lil Band o Gold on May 3 at 8 pm

...and Rudy Richard w/ Lil Buck on the 27th @ Circle Bar
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 8:01 pm | Edited by: Hadda Bad Day

I am so exicted, I can't believe this is less that 2 weeks away.
Haven't been to NOLA since I was there with Muddy Spear pre-Katrina!

yay
yay
yay
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:23 am

Before i get confused:

Fri 4/27 Rudy Richard & Lil Buck @Circle

Sat 4/28 Quintron & G Lightnin' @K-Doe's

Sun 4/29 country nite @The Saint

Mon 4/30 Little Freddie King @Circle Bar

Tues 5/1 Ernie Vincent... then Simeon {w/ Death Ray?} @Circle Bar [I'm canning Hard Hat nite for this one]

Wed 5/2 STOMP + Cinemax Bar day

Thurs 5/3 Dennis Coffey & Death Ray, swamp pop at the cabildo during the day
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:47 am

Fri 5/4 ZZ Top @JAZZ FEST Acura Stage, 5:35pm
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:54 am

Mon 4/30 "RARE GROOVE" & "DEEP FUNK" (records) w/ dj's Ira/Dr. Ike, Pasta, Soul Sister, Brice - Official Ponderosa Stomp kickoff party
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:58 am

...at Dragon's Den
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:13 pm

Yes.

all that seems good.

either Harlan (doubtful) or Haunted Hearts on Monday w/ little freddie

...and sun 4/29 is Kitty Lynn/Happy Talk Band

I believe Tony Joe White is on at Jazzfest on 5/4 as well.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 1:00 am

I've been after Daisy for two weeks to confirm one way or the other if she was going to go with me to the Stomp.

I just showed her the full line-up, and she told me a story about how she saw Tony Owens when she was 13 years old (1969) at the DEVILS DEN on Tulane ave. She and her two underage girlfriends were the only white girls in the joint. During the show, the pigs raided the bar, and the jailbait had to get snuck out of the rear exit.

Long story short, Daisy is going to the Stomp!
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 1:11 pm

the DEVILS DEN
Wicked!

I'm selling merch at the stomp. Come buy a t-shirt. No fronts.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 10:17 pm

DEVILS DEN on Tulane ave

not Devil's Dungeon on St. Bernard? ....I'm still pissed at Morgan from the Shim Sham for buying the sign and taking it away to LA ... It was my favorite sign in town ...though the club had been closed for 30 years or so.

Mike Hurtt's Haunted Hearts are now playing the 4th (Friday) and MAYBE (I'm sure I'll have to talk Louie into it (...not likely)) The Royal Pendletons?

...and there's a DJ Nite @ Dragon's Den on 4/30 with semi "famous" DJs playing allegedly "rare groove" for anyone who likes hanging out with goth bike hippies who do not shower. It IS sponsored by WAXPOETICS, which is kinda a cool magazine, I just wish they'd leave out the stuff about about RDJ2 and ilk.
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 2:24 am

I followed up, and Daisy's pretty adamant about the Devil's Den being on Tulane possibly somewhere near Galvez. She claims it was a very active club for good shows in it's day. We tried to google more info about the DD, but the only thing we could find was a mention that a club called the DD was on Canal near Carrollton, but Daisy swears that's not where the place was.

In the last couple of days Daisy has contacted her other two friends who went with her to that Tony Owens show in '69, and now they're all coming to town to go to the Stomp together.

Anybody know if T.O. is doing a full set?
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 2:35 am

"Also the no photography rule has been yanked for the night."

IS THIS TRUE?? I've been trying for over 2 months to get a photo-pass from one of the local rags--and I couldn't get a straight answer one way or the other out of anyone.

I was about to just throw in the towel and shoot stealth--but I really hate doing that cause I don't like to be fucked with when I inevitably get caught.

Anyway, if this is reality, my kudos to the genius is who made it possible.
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 7:34 am

Hey, don't sweat it! Months ago I was told by Dr. Ike that both photography AND ins and outs will be allowed. The most recent email I got from the Mystic Knights also confirmed this info.
Posted: Apr 28, 2007 1:49 am

Yay!! Thanks for the confirmation grrtch!
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 10:06 pm

Hey, don't sweat it! Months ago I was told by Dr. Ike that both photography AND ins and outs will be allowed. The most recent email I got from the Mystic Knights also confirmed this info.
Don't kid yourself we're talking about Housee of Blues. They WILL fuck it up.
Posted: Apr 30, 2007 1:25 pm | Edited by: grrtch

Yay!! Thanks for the confirmation grrtch!
yer welcome! and I am chosing to be optimistic that it'll all pan out like it's planned....

now off to New Orleans with me!
Posted: May 1, 2007 6:06 pm

Don't kid yourself we're talking about Housee of Blues. They WILL fuck it up.

no one worry, but, this is becoming a truer statement all the time. I'll tell you about it later. I hate them.
Posted: May 2, 2007 4:14 pm

Roky is in New Orleans!!!!!!
Posted: May 2, 2007 8:09 pm

Simeon was amazing. VLADRM incedible. Kirkland was blowing minds (as usual). and Ernie Vincent brought it strong.

Yay! tonight!
Posted: May 2, 2007 8:50 pm

Damn. First one I've missed. I'm with y'all in spirit.
Posted: May 2, 2007 9:25 pm

Simeon was amazing
I was looking forward to seeing him for weeks, but I just couldn't take the heat, or something, last night and fled the bar half way through deathgay. I have been depressed all day that I didn't see him. I'm gonna go cry in the Contact gatefold.
Posted: May 3, 2007 8:52 pm

Little Jimmy Scott and Tony Owens were AMAZING!
Posted: May 3, 2007 10:04 pm

dammit! MORE!
Posted: May 3, 2007 10:39 pm

The HOB press release I signed last night says I can't do this:

Tony Owens:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/483095613_404eb2cd76_b.jpg

Little Jimmy Scott:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/483095623_0bbf05fe31_b.jpg
Posted: May 3, 2007 11:22 pm

Dan Penn was the highlight for me. Roky was great. Everybody was great. Guitar Lightnin' & crue was a perfect way to end the night.
Posted: May 4, 2007 12:59 am

Roy Head!!!!

humped the air, grabbed his cock, flopped around on the stage and kissed Ira on the mouth.

stole the show.
Posted: May 4, 2007 1:31 am

Also, he grabbed his own tits.
Posted: May 4, 2007 2:02 am

Jay Chevalier

Is that dude from Fargo? Pretty doubtful and all, but I have a cousin from Fargo, N.D. that has that same name...
Posted: May 4, 2007 2:04 am

It's not your cousin.
Posted: May 4, 2007 2:44 am

and Andrea discovered 5.25 margaritas that actually had alcohol in them!
Posted: May 4, 2007 2:49 am

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/JayChevalier1.html

I guess not. In the grand Chevalier tradition, he is strikingly handsome...
Posted: May 4, 2007 5:12 am

damn unfriendly... those photos convey what's going on at the stomp more than words ever could.

THIS SHIT IS REAL and it's NOT GONNA BE AROUND MUCH LONGER.

goddamn.
Posted: May 4, 2007 7:34 am

Damn Eric, you missed it! only spent about 18 hours in NOLA, but what a time! rolled in at 3PM, unfortunately just missed lunch at Cassameto's. went to Domelise's instead where we got yelled at by a customer on her cell phone -- then she made up for it by buying all five of us a round of drinks! got to the Stomp just in time to hear Ralph Soul Jackson at 5:30PM. all the music was incredible, especially Roy Head! Blythe and I contemplated running away with him... (WTF was up with his Michael Jackson reference?) Roky was great, I got to dance behind Stephanie on the side of the stage, gazing at Mr Erickson who looked suspiciously like a garden gnome. Not a lotta Memphis folks down there, surprisingly -- good to see the NOLA people and everyone else who converged for the night. yes Sandy Shaw actually discovered those cheap and potent margaritas -- I think I downed one an hour for eight hours! went to bed at 4AM then picked up Hot Tub Eric four hours later for the ride back to Memphis. loaded up the car with a bag of beignets and two Central Grocery muffalettas, and drove home in the pouring rain. I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Mark your calendars NOW for 2008!
Posted: May 4, 2007 4:46 pm

for those who missed the swamp pop show in jackson square last night, you missed Roy Head singing "Treat Her Right" backed up by the legends of swamp pop. Pretty brill.
Posted: May 4, 2007 4:52 pm

Roy Head is THE MAN. Would love to spend a few days partying with that guy. Sometimes he and Archie Bell team up and do shows togetherin Austin and Houston. Roy was great last year at the sxsw Ponderosa Stomp gigs, wish I could have seen this.
Posted: May 4, 2007 5:08 pm

yeah, damn! damn!

thanks for the update, though. dr ike always does it up RIGHT!
Posted: May 5, 2007 12:43 am

so what's going on tonite?

Circle BaR?
Mother in-law'a lounge?
Posted: May 5, 2007 2:43 am

pendletons- circle bar
Posted: May 5, 2007 6:45 am

for those who missed the swamp pop show in jackson square last night, you missed Roy Head singing "Treat Her Right" backed up by the legends of swamp pop. Pretty brill.

aw, man, warn't it? real happy surprise to hear Roy Head again! Damn, ain't he ever a treasure! that Jax Square show was one swell way to wrap things up. after lurching outta the Circle Bar that very morning, must say I was feeling a tad rode hard and put up wet.... and that was even before that hellacious toad strangler hit...

So next year, ya reckon Ralph "Soul" Jackson will be invited back and given a sweeter slot? Seemed the crowd couldn't get enough of him.... and Dan Pann was a huge highlight for me... could hear all sorts of influence on Nick Lowe... and Roky, geez, he sure did sound good, but knowing he's walked with the zombies made it all that much more sweet... and I say this every year, how ever will the Mystic Knights top this next year? ...but they always do....
Posted: May 5, 2007 4:24 pm

Thanks Eric!! It really was a special night. I felt like I was standing in the audience at the filming of a PBS documentary!!

Re: Roy Head:

'humped the air'

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/485064022_d8b34de2e1_o.jpg

'Also, he grabbed his own tits.'

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/485059162_a74882782a_b.jpg
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®