Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / Radio Heartbeat Powerpop Festival 3/29-4/1 NYC
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 4:36 am

Just what everyone needs, another festival to complain about...

The four night shows are at Southpaw in Brooklyn (same place as the Dot Dash festivals...)

$22.00 a night, Limited $80.00 4-night passes.

Here's the run-down:

PRE-SHOW-Tuesday 3/27 at Maxwell's in Hoboken
(Guessing $7??)

The Carbonas
The Pets
Gentleman Jesse and his Men
Possible opener TBA

THURSDAY, March 29
20/20
Nikki Corvette and the Stingrays
The Nice Boys
Riff Randells
The Pets
Big Fun

FRIDAY, March 30
The Speedies
The Neighborhoods
The Busy Signals
Tina and the Total Babes
Baby Shakes
Boys Club

SATURDAY, March 31
The Pointed Sticks
The Fevers
The Yum-Yums
The Suspicions
Beat, Beat, Beat
The Felt Ups

SUNDAY, April 1st
Milk N' Cookies
The Go(the 70's NYC band, not the current Detroit one...)
The Prambath
Electric Shadows
Top Ten
Gentleman Jesse and His Men

Special guests: Josie Cotton, some more secrets...

Day Shows at Magnetic Field w/ Test Patterns, The Power Chords, The Pop Machine, Gito Gito Hustler, The Black Beauties, The Greatest Hits, Skipper and the Makeout Party, more..

Plus special "Fuck Powerpop, I like Punk" Douchemaster day show with:
The Carbonas, Live Fast Die and Frantic

The days shows are free, but if you don't toss at least 3 bucks in a hat for the bands you're a dick.

12-3 there'll be a mini record fair before the bands.

Tickets available via TicketWeb:
http://www.ticketweb.com/user/?region=nyc&query=schedule&venue=southpa w1&next=706833

Upcoming Releases on Radio Heartbeat:

Speedies LP/CD, Hubble Bubble-S/T and Faking LP's (vinyl only, co-release with Daggerman Records), Raxola LP (Vinyl Only)

http://myspace.com/radioheartbeatnow
radio.heartbeat@yahoo.com

Sorry, no room for any more bands, check next year.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 4:54 am

Oh shit, I forgot NoBunny on the day show thing, sorry Justin...anyway, yeah NoBunny..
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 3:24 pm

Is this for real this time, or is it just gonna get canceled again?
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 3:28 pm

Great lineup Mike... looks like a blast. Now I gotta figure out a way to get there.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 3:33 pm | Edited by: d diggler

$22 a night is insane. label looks interestin though.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 3:49 pm

'Spensive!

It is for real, tix are on sale.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 3:58 pm

All jokey-joke aside, the line-up is totally great. Good work, Mike. $22 isn't insane, considering the headliners.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 4:13 pm

Agreed, $22 ain't cheap but it ain't crazy. I'm gonna have to figure something out to at least do Friday and Saturday.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 4:24 pm

Me and 16 will hang with you at Paul's Burgers.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 4:35 pm

we're going too!
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 4:49 pm

F it, I bought tix for Friday and Saturday. I'll figure out flight details soon. Oh, and lodging, I suppose we'll need that.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 5:03 pm

Well lets get burgers before the show on Friday. We ain't goin' to the show but we're always down for cheeseburgers.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 5:22 pm

Joe, you should go to the free Carbonas show.

Yeah, the prices reflect airline costs/lodging/guarantees for the headliners. I made it as cheap as I could.

Anyway, Paul's Burgers rule. People sometimes forget that Peter Luger's has affordable burgers during lunchtime that are amazing..
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 5:42 pm

Joe, you should go to the free Carbonas show.

I wouldn't even wanna see them for free. Sorry dudes.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 5:52 pm

When did you become a dick? Stay home.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 5:53 pm

I've never liked the Carbonas. Nice guys and all, but...
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 6:03 pm

When was the last time you gave 'em a listen? They're waaay better now than they were a few years ago. Not that they were ever bad (to me), but now they're probably one of the best punk bands out there.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 6:03 pm

carbonas kick ass. just sayin.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 6:04 pm

I understand, you can like whatever you want, but if you do think they're nice guys you could probably word it better than "wouldn't even for free" or better yet, nothing. Anyway, just my knee-jerk reaction, I know yer a good guy behind yer Gonerguise.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 6:06 pm

When was the last time you gave 'em a listen?

I saw them in LA in August.

I understand, you can like whatever you want, but if you do think they're nice guys you could probably word it better than "wouldn't even for free"

Well I wouldn't! SHEESH! Anyway, I hope alla you fags have a good time. I know you're a good gay behind your mustache.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 10:43 pm

I think the 4-day Passes have sold out unless there's an error on the TicketWeb site. I'll update soon..
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 8:14 am | Edited by: john mcguirk

This line up is incredible. Lucky New Yorkers...

The Yum-Yums

Does anyone know what these dudes are up to? It's been a while since their last (killer) LP. Or have they released anything after Blame it on the Boogie?
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 9:00 am

Great line up. Holy fuck - Pointed Sticks!!! 4 Day Passes are up on Ticketweb, just got mine (above link only gives you three of the days, you need to search for 'radio heartbeat' to see all days).
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 2:52 pm

this looks phenonemal! jesus christ, i'm going!
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:12 pm

The Yum-Yums

Does anyone know what these dudes are up to? It's been a while since their last (killer) LP. Or have they released anything after Blame it on the Boogie?

I have no idea what they're up to, but the Yum Yums (along with the Pointed Sticks) were the clinchers for me.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:21 pm

Yeah, the 4-day passes are there, it's just hard to find..
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:31 pm

This one's better, sorry:

Ticket link: </a><a href="http://www.ticketweb.com/user/?region=nyc&query=detail&event=706 836">4 DAY PASSES!!!</a>
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:31 pm

I suck.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 10:32 pm

I always heard that was his last name but I never believed it until now.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:18 am

I'm just going to hit on girls.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 2:34 pm

by girls gaylick means power poop queers like postlame an mike diaper.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Mike Diaper, hahaha.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 3:32 pm

fist her ass game.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm

Actually, in the Power Pop world, Snipes and Lastname are considered tough. They're like the jocks of this subdivision. Weird, but true.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:14 pm

2nd place is 1st loser.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:19 pm

Erick, you're forgetting that it's going to be nigh-impossible to tell the girls from the guys at this thing. Russian roulette.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:28 pm

A hole's a hole's a hole's a hole.

naimeen?

DIDI MAO!!!
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:40 pm

where's dwight twilley, gary valentine, the rubinoos or even an easy layup like the real kids???
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Kevin from the Busy Signals ran into Dwight Twilley at the Austin airport during the last SXSW. He said it looked like his wife was running the show these days. Maybe you two can have tea.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 6:20 am

Twilley had a scheduling conflict, I love Gary Valentine and the Know so, I dunno, maybe next year??
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 10:59 am

Stop fucking apologizing to Diggler motherfucker.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Heir ick = fag
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 2:35 pm

Twilley is actually still pretty good.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 3:34 pm

did the rubinoos ever put out any good records? certainly not the couple i picked up at some wfmu record fair
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 6:10 pm

Heir ick = fag

You can do math!

(actually Peanut (awww) it goes something like this: your cock + my mouth = Gaylick! hee hee!)
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 6:19 pm

Shut up and bend over!
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:15 pm

the rubinoos suck. the only good thing they did was i wanna be your boyfriend. i only put them in to confuse the power poop know nothins like you, crucialfag.

(this is great watchin gaylick try to tag along w/ the power poop queers. mr. art rock. hah!!!)
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:21 pm

I don't like power-pop, but I do like my friends.

Wish you had some, eh?
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:27 pm

The Rubinoos were fuckin' boring! But so is Ned. Game Over.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:40 pm

yeah, i must be real borin. that's why you an gaylick spend all day followin me around the innernet.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 8:05 pm

you guys are silly billy's.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 8:10 pm

Yeah, Ned, you run from one length of the Goner board to the next. It's really hard keeping up. I'm sure your legs look like Charlie Atlas's.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Eric, had to go out for a minute. Please report to Central.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 8:55 pm

the other thing about this stupid "fest" is that only two of the bands were even power poop. it's just another tom douche scam to book a ton of shitty new bands nobody likes. fuck mike diaper an tom douche. that's why i ain't helpin mike w/ his label no more. death to false power poop!!!
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 9:12 pm

Fer real, My bands playin and we're Hip Hop, The pointed sticks are techno instrumental now, The Busy Signals are playin acoustic Irish pub songs and the Fevers have progressed to Bubblegum Black Metal.
This is a debacle!!!

Would somebody please archive these genres according to the dewey decimal system already? I hate when my genres get in a bunch.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 10:47 pm

it doesn't make him an asshole it makes him a loser.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 1:10 am | Edited by: mikesniper

Brinsley Schwartz? Don't matter if Nick Lowe is in that band...
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 1:57 am

Pearl Schwartz
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 2:28 am

I have The Schwartz.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 3:13 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Posted: Jan 15, 2007 12:31 am

Here's the website:

http://radioheartbeat.net/
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 1:07 am

may the schwartz be with you...
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 1:53 am

the milk n cookies? w/ justin strauss (mr. kathleen turner) and sal maida? i know they're both in NYC --- who else is playing? i'll bet ian north ain't.

oh - dirk -- gary valentine lives in the UK now and doesn't do music anymore.

oh, yeah --- is it the pointed sticks from vancouver or a different one?
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 6:34 am

Strauss ain't the one who married K. Turner, and Ian North is playing with them. Same line-up from alla the recordings. Same Pointed Sticks, too.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 4:54 pm | Edited by: d diggler

gary valentine has a band in london called the fire escape. he also writes books. david scharff from the student teachers talked to him a couple of months ago.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 7:06 pm

As far as I know, it's 100% original lineup (Maida, Strauss, Ruiz, North) Ian North was/is a little hesitant, but he should make it.

Of course it's the Vancouver Pointed Sticks!

There's also a bunch of special guests still un-announced, not playing full sets but maybe doing a song or two..
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 8:46 pm

Strauss ain't the one who married K. Turner,

then who is? 3 people told me that he did. hmmm
i'm curious

gary valentine has a band in london called the fire escape.

well, that's cool. i talked w/ him last year around the time blondie got into the rock hall and he said he wasn't doing music, just sticking to the literature. i really love his solo music. when he lived in LA for lo those many years, he had a great trio - gary valentine & the know

maybe i gotta get my info from the student teachers instead
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 8:59 pm

the know started in nyc. i seen them many times. in fact, gary played my old jazzmaster at a know gig at hurrah's once.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 9:11 pm

then who is? 3 people told me that he did. hmmm
i'm curious

Can't remember this nugget offhand -- it's in an interview I did with Justin last year -- but I think it was Jay Weiss, their original bassist, who married her. Whoever it was, Justin made it sound like the two had since divorced.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 3:44 am

oh - jay weiss was her husband for years and years (turner is a client of the law firm i worked at). jay weiss the real estate guy. they've been divorced for donkey's years. bunch of people told me that she and justin got together. i mean, i don't care one way or the other.

the know started in nyc. i seen them many times. in fact, gary played my old jazzmaster at a know gig at hurrah's once.

as for that - while i don't doubt that gary played ned's guitar - the know was gary's band of LA musicians - richard d'andrea and joel turrisi (joel also played w/ 20/20). gary and his actress girlfriend, lisa jane persky moved to LA right after gary and blondie parted ways in late 77. the guy i was dating at the time was gary's best friend from ny. we saw gary and lisa on an almost daily basis. in LA. for a few years (77/78/79). its not a name-drop, ned... it was just a part of my daily life, and i'm sorry to say that on this tidbit, ned is wrong; while gary may have started doing his solo stuff in ny before moving to LA, the know was an LA based band.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 3:10 pm

it's been a while since i read gary's book 'new york rocker' but i seem to recall the Know started in LA but then spent some time in NYC
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 3:14 pm

i know those other two dudes were from l.a. but gary an the know lived in new york durin 78 as they were tryin to get signed to chrysalis. they practised at kristians. they played around nyc all the time. then when that fell through they high tailed it to l.a. to try an cash in on the power pop craze.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 4:04 pm

will there be

NO FAT TIES

shirts available?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 5:16 pm

will there be

NO FAT TIES

shirts available?

Yes.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 8:47 pm

The Rubinoos were fuckin' boring!

Whatever, their best still beats the current junk.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 8:57 pm

They barely even sound like a rock band to me.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 9:21 pm

Whatever, their best still beats the current junk.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 9:23 pm

It beats some of it, but that doesn't mean much.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Gimme a current pop song better than anything by the Rubinoos.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 9:32 pm

will you two faggots shut the fuck up??? the rubinoos sucked. so do the busy signals.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 9:33 pm

No way man, Busy Signals & Rubinoos rock!
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Gimme a current pop song better than anything by the Rubinoos.

Is "I'm In Love With A Stripper" current enough?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 9:41 pm

I think MOTO has several pop songs that are better than anything by the Rubinoos. Same with the Cuts. Just for example.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Yeah yeah.. Was thinkin' more "power pop", but what does it matter. I just have a soft spot for them Rubinoos, and although the majority of their stuff is junk, the good songs are super fun, catchy, & well-written. I don't know why I always nerdily defend this band, but I realize there's no point. Death to false power poop.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 10:47 pm

The Pointed Sticks should bring Nick Gilder w/ 'em.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 11:57 pm

I fucking love "Rock and Roll Is Dead" by the Rubinoos, a cover of that song by the Hecklers came out last year. That Hecklers single is pretty cool, wayyyyy under the radar NY KBD-styled punk band.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 1:55 pm

talking about catchy tunes, The Speedies' "Something on My Mind" is AWESOME!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 7:58 pm

Outta' curiosity, is Ian North (songwriter/guitar) from Milk N Cookies playing this? I heard from multiple people that he's not doing it and never planned to.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 9:54 pm

no fatties! ha!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:26 am

Can the singer for Milk -N- Cookies still sing like a Teletubbie? If so, I'll be there.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:29 am

And are there any records I can trade for free tickets?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:27 am

Any news on when/where that Carbonas Fuck Powerpop... day show is gonna happen?
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 6:08 pm

i hope ian north is playing
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 7:39 pm

Any news on when/where that Carbonas

Tuesday March 27 - Maxwell's
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 8:45 pm

I'm pretty sure the Carbonas/Live Fast Die/Frantic day show is on Saturday, March 31.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 8:20 am

Yeah, I thought it'd be Saturday. The other day shows are at Magnetic Field, just wasn't sure if this one would be there or somewhere else.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:28 pm

Yeah, this show is at Magnetic Field as well. Starts at 2 or 3, I think.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:37 pm

when the fuck is haunted george fest???
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:56 pm

haunted george fest is in your ear, and everybody's coming!

a new twist on an old classic
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 5:09 pm

JOE MAMA!
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 5:19 pm

back when me and ian north were hangin out at the old grey whistle test in 57/58 he told me he hated southpaw and radio heartbeat and was never gonna play another festival besides live aid again.
Posted: Mar 9, 2007 11:01 pm

4 day passes are sold out.

Mini-set added on Sunday Night right before Milk N' Cookies.

Jack Lee (of the Nerves, writer of "Hanging on the Telephone") backed by the Pop Machine will be playing a couple classic tunes.
Posted: Mar 11, 2007 1:09 am

yo sarim! are you gonna be there?
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 1:35 am

The insanity starts tomorrow at Magnetic Fields in Brooklyn.

Test Patterns and Gito Gito Huslter.

Be safe and get there at 2:00 pm, do not miss that!

Then head over to Southpaw for the big show!

Doors will probably be 7:30.

No one will complain about the 20/20 set list!! I know what they're playing.

They have never played "Giving it All" (1st Bomp single) EVER live before tomorrow night!!!

There should still be some tickets available at the door tomorrow, Friday's show ONLINE TICKETS have sold out. There MIGHT be tickets available at the door....
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 2:47 am

I'm pretty sure the Carbonas/Live Fast Die/Frantic day show is on Saturday, March 31.

Any verification of this? Or any Saturday afternoon show?
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 3:16 am

YES!

Saturday Afternoon, I'd get in the Magnetic Fields/Southpaw "zone" at 2:00 pm!

W/ NoBunny!

Free, but PLEASE donate some $$ for the bands!
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:20 am

holy fuck i just finished packing and realized the passes are still on my book shelf! fucking typical...
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:24 am

Ewww...Kevin, are you going?
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 5:45 am

is nobunny playing solo, or with a band?
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 5:52 am

sherry, i leave in 11 hours.

can't wait to get the hell out of here for a while.
passes are now packed.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Help!
I'm here in NY with no money. I got some money in paypal, but no way of getting it out. Is there anybody here in NY that I can paypal money to and get some cash from... pretty please me.
thank you,
Justin

520-270-0045
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:12 pm

Justin, go to Academy Annex between 12-2.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:16 pm

Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:37 pm

THANK YOU ALL!
PROBLEM SOLVED!
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 4:38 pm

DAY SHOW TODAY: 3PM, not 2PM!!!

Sorry!

Here's a map of Magnetic Field:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=magnetic+field+brooklyn& btnG=Search
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 5:03 pm

No one will complain about the 20/20 set list!! I know what they're playing.

They have never played "Giving it All" (1st Bomp single) EVER live before tomorrow night!!!

are you sure about this? i used to see 20/20 all the time back in the 80s, and i swear they used to play it. before they got signed and changed their whole schtick.. (ie: "yellow pills" and all that followed)

http://punkturns30.blogspot.com/2007/03/power-pop-in-punk-times.html
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 5:12 pm

Welp, either that or Steve Allen and Ron Flynt had a memory lapse.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 5:23 pm

Steve Allen and Ron Flynt had a memory lapse

maybe they want to forget the 80s? they wouldn't be the first people to want to forget the 80s.... or CAN'T REMEMBER the 80s...

seriously.... i saw 20/20 so many times and "giving it all" was a HIGHLIGHT of their set

is chris silagyi still playing with them? when he first joined the band, he borrowed my wurlitzer electric piano for gigs, leading me to always be on the guest list, explaining why i've seen 20/20 about 10 million times
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 5:54 pm

explaining why i've seen 20/20 about 10 million times

Should've said "explaining why I've seen 20/20 about 2020 times."

Wakka wakka!
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 6:17 pm

Somebody please video tape 20/20 and post it! Same goes for Milk N Cookies!
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 7:58 pm

somebody also tape the pop machine for paulyjerkface. He loves em.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 8:09 pm | Edited by: zac

I'm trying not to think about how great this will be...
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 10:40 pm

Now now, Vas
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 2:02 am

Test Paterns were GREAT! I wanna see them again!
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 7:12 pm

How's everything going?!?!?
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 7:15 pm

I thought the Scarfies KILLED the other night......
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 9:15 pm

All the bands were amazing last night.

Great crowd.

Nikki and Josie duet was great.

20/20 was amazing.
Posted: Mar 31, 2007 9:30 pm

glad it's going good... more reports! keep em comin!
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 2:26 am

glad it's going good... more reports! keep em comin!

CRUCIAL!!
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 3:31 pm

Busy Signals!
THE YUM YUMS!!!!!!
POINTED STICKS!!!!!

Sweet lord.
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 3:51 pm

Oh yeah...
Mike Sniper rules!
Southpaw rules!
Magnetic Field rules!
Jahna RULES!!
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 5:59 pm

Pointed Dads were great!!!
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 7:16 pm

Oh, boy... I only got to see two of the shows because of work/money stuff... but wow! Those two were both so great that I don't feel like I missed out on anything!

Thursday - Lots of really cute bands followed by a REALLY fantastic set by Nikki & the Stingrays. The duet encores with Josie Cotton were really terrific. Both gals still have it going on. I said to someone that that would be an impossible act to follow, and I guess maybe the guys in 20/20 felt the same way, because it took a while for them to get revved up. But, once they stopped with the paisley crap and kicked it into high gear, they were great!

Saturday - oh, boy... happpppppy! I missed the first band... Beat Beat Beat were pretty good... the Yum Yums KILLED. Wow. Best band of the night and that's saying a LOT because the Fevers and Pointed Sticks were both really really great. I danced for about 4 hours straight.

Mike, thanks again for putting this thing on! Great job!
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 7:40 pm

Pointed Dads were great!!!

Total.

Fashion's have been slightly disappointing, but yesterday some ladies were tryin to make up for that. Thanx chixx.
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 8:34 pm

Mike Sniper you gots your shits together. Fantastic fun!
If there were awards for such things I'm sure you would get the toppest.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 1:09 am

Highlights for me so far were the Busy Signals, Nikki Corvette, and the Pointed Sticks. I missed the Pets and Tina & the Total Babes who I was looking forward to. Busy Signals played mostly all new songs and they're easily as good as the singles. Way eager for the full length! Pointed Sticks lived up to my anticipation. They sounded perfect and seemed to be having a great time. In fact, everyone all weekend seems to be having a great time. Kudos to Mike for pulling it all off. Can't believe you did it, ya jerk!
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 1:11 am

Oh and good to meet ya a lex is and jj. Hope Jahna got you to the airport in time!
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 1:39 am

Can't believe you did it, ya jerk!
me neither!...great job Mike!

highlights...
Busy Signals (yes!)
Speedies
Pets
Pointed Sticks
Fevers

Great weekend...
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 2:35 am

Mike Sniper you gots your shits together.

i bow down to you mikesniper.... even though i weren't there!
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 2:46 am

Oh jeeze .....get a room already!

HAWW!
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 7:45 am

Busy Signals played mostly all new songs and they're easily as good as the singles. Way eager for the full length!

You're not gonna be disappointed, trust me.
Nice to meet you too. We got to the airport in plenty of time. Our flight was at 7:30. We were there in plenty of time for an earlier flight at 6am, but that one was full so we wound up sleeping for a spell on the airport floor.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 1:54 pm

How were Milk and Cookies?
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 5:29 pm

Milk N Cookies were awesome. Better than listening to the record.

And Jack Lee was the most psychedelic moment of my life, because i was stoned out of my gord. When the stripey white powerpop bass player morphed into a black man, I lost my mind. Thank god for whatever that was.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 6:10 pm

so, who was playing in Milk n Cookies?
was Ian North in???
Justin Strauss, Mike Ruiz, Sal Maida?
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 7:12 pm

Bill and I made our plane by the skin of our teeth...they were paging us at the gate! I am going on 2 hours sleep and have to be at work till 9 tonight boo! Faves for me:

Pointed Sticks
20/20
The GO
Tina and the Total Babes
Busy Zignals

It was a fucking amazing surprise at how all those bands still have all the amazing harmonies 20+ years later! Only one trainwreck as far as I can remember and although the Yum Yums seemed to be playing their asses off that kind'o pop punk just ain't my style.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 7:28 pm

whoa...who was the trainwreck??

just kidding. holeeeeeeee shit!
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 8:34 pm

Speedies were suprprisingly great. It sure helps a reunion show when:

A. The band practiced and is in top form,
B. The band is clearly enthusiastic about playing, and
C. The audience is really into it too.

It was also nice that the audience included so many people who saw the band the first time around, and not just fanboys who were in diapers then.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 10:00 pm

i think that pretty much every reunion band was much better than i thought they would be (with the one exception). milk n cookies were my favorites of the reunion acts, i think. justin was more spry than a lot of 18 year olds, it seemed. the whole weekend really exceed my expectations. really fun!

the fevers were my favorite. the makeout party and skipper were close behind.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 10:16 pm

Faves for me:

Pointed Sticks
20/20
The GO
Tina and the Total Babes
Busy Zignals

my list would be the same except i'd include gentleman jesse & his men. they were even better than when they were here. too bad no one got to the show early enough to see them.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 1:21 am

although the Yum Yums seemed to be playing their asses off that kind'o pop punk just ain't my style.

You saying "seemed to be" just proves that you need some ROCK LESSONS, lady!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 1:37 am

Oh shove up your YUM YUM Castaldi!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 1:49 am

my list would be the same except i'd include gentleman jesse & his men. they were even better than when they were here. too bad no one got to the show early enough to see them.

i had no idea they were starting as early as they did. pissed i missed seeing them a second time this week.

highlights for me:

busy signals
milk n cookies
pointed sticks
20/20
fevers
the go
the pets
whatever the fuck jack lee was doing. ho-lee fuck that was bizarre.

but yeah, mike + co. did a bang up job with this.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 2:05 am

i keep forgetting gentleman jesse. he/they were fuckin great!

i liked suspicions too.

and busy signals of course.

too many good bands.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 2:10 am

whatever the fuck jack lee was doing. ho-lee fuck that was bizarre.

i don't want to be a nay-sayer cuz 99% of the bands were FUCKING AMAZING but i gotta be honest

it was a pretty surreal thing to see Hanging On the Telephone butchered the way it was.... they couldn't even finish it for christsake!

and there's pretty much no excuse considering that many other bands hadn't played in YEARS AND YEARS and some of them hardly had reheasal time and still sounded great.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 3:47 am

my faves of the weekend in no particular order:
20/20
Pointed Sticks (holee shit they were good!)
the Pets
Tina & the Total Babes (RULED it)
Busy Signals (who had the unfortunate task of following T&TB - but were unbelievable - best time I\'ve seen them so far - new record WILL slay)
Fevers
the Go

all in all it was a really fun weekend...Mike & Co. did a bang up job...
all I can say is god bless Pizzatown.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 4:05 am

Oh shove up your YUM YUM Castaldi!

After your rock lessons, please proceed to ENGLISH CLASS!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 4:40 am

the fevers were my favorite. the makeout party and skipper were close behind.

skipper are so great! i hope they will put out some recorded stuff soon. did they mention anything? did the yum yums play any new songs? and did anyone make some videos? i'm envious of everyone who could go to this...
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 4:52 am

shows were great, but i came home without half the records i bought and in a really really foul mood. i think those are the last shows i'll see for a while.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 5:58 am

Cheer up, man. Just wait until kevinshair.com gets off the ground and the money starts pouring in!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 7:39 am

shows were great

You know you loved it when I bit your jacket.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 2:51 pm

but i came home without half the records i bought and in a really really foul mood

we have some of them plus a shirt... cheer up KPAX!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 3:48 pm

so, who was playing in Milk n Cookies?
was Ian North in???
Justin Strauss, Mike Ruiz, Sal Maida?

Milk and Cookies were great! They sounded so much better than I was expecting. It was original members Justin (great frontman), Sal and Mike......Ian North did not show, which was a dissapointment, but the guy filling in on guitar did a great job. Was pretty spot on with all the guitar licks and breaks, etc...played all the songs I wanted to hear.

And Jack Lee was the most psychedelic moment of my life, because i was stoned out of my gord. When the stripey white powerpop bass player morphed into a black man, I lost my mind. Thank god for whatever that was.

That was hilarious high light of the night. Jack's set started out promising, opening up with Paper Dolls....his voice sounded on target, then everything went down in flames from there, though it was all entertaining to watch..
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 5:53 pm

Whoa,

I'm totally fucking beat.

Nice to see you all.

Glad you all liked it! I wish Ian North was there, too! He was on board and off so many times. Did everything I could to make it happen (even 1 week before the show) I have no ill feelings towards him, it just wasn't the right time. They fucking pulled it off like champs though!

Just want to thank everybody for coming, only bad part was I didn't have time to hang out with all of you enough.

If you liked 20/20, wait 'til you hear about a future Radio Heartbeat release, holy crap, should be announcing it soon.

Ok, I'm powerpopped out for a while, see you next year. Hubble Bubble LP's should be here any day, I'll ship them when they come.

Fuck I'm tired.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 6:09 pm

I'm powerpopped out for a while,

don't you mean you're power-pooped?
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 6:19 pm

Oh, Theresa,

Steve Allen and Ron Flynt said they never played "Bringing It All" because the drummer who recorded it (Bunny Carlos I think, but I forget right now..) did a swing beat that Mike Gallo (who's a great drummer) didn't like to do.

It was pretty much a demo they never played live that Bomp wanted to put out.

Oh and Justin Strauss we nver married to Kathleen Turner, that was Jay Weiss, who was the bass-player before Sal Maida joined them before they went to England.

There you have it!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:30 pm

Highlights for me:

Milk 'n' Cookies
20/20
Fevers
Speedies
Showering with Mike Sniper
Frantic at Saturday's day show

This was the most fun I've ever had at a festival-thing. Mike and William, you guys did a great job with all of this.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:32 pm

Steve Allen and Ron Flynt said they never played "Bringing It All" because the drummer who recorded it (Bunny Carlos I think, but I forget right now..) did a swing beat that Mike Gallo (who's a great drummer) didn't like to do.

That was Phil Seymour who played on that 45.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:34 pm

Dude, I got a couple questions for you. We'll save it though.

My favorite moment was when Eric "It's RICK!" Cecil stepped on my hand when it was on the monitor cuz he thought I threw beer at him when in fact I hadn't.

Oh, and slipping on the stairs and totally fucking my hand up. That ruled.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:38 pm

Best memory, meeting lastnames dad and saying his son is kinda gay then bumming a smoke off him.
Papa Cecil esq. is a straight up class act.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:41 pm

YES! Phil Seymour!!!

Bunny Carlos had something to do with it, shit, I'll find all this shit out this week. Who's the biggest 20/20 fan here? Steve? Paul?
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:43 pm

Dan's the man.

That single's hot shit.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 8:52 pm

I remember reading about Bun E. Carlos loaning his drum kit to 20/20 for some of their first shows, so maybe that's it?

Glad to hear the fest was a blast!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 9:02 pm

FEVERS!
FEVERS!
FEVERS!
THEE MAKEOUT PARTY!
MILK N COOKIES!
SKIPPER!
TINA & THE TOTAL BABES!

Meeting jblundell (again)

What a good time.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 9:36 pm

Man, can't take Fevers' dude's voice. Sorry.

JerkAlert's van was great, but missing his set not so.

I told Cecilname's dad his son was very smart and he just laughed.

Dan, good to see you, why didn't I buy a single? Set was good.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 9:59 pm

Thanks eric!
I dunno why didnt you buy it?, but lookin like we'll be back in NYC on april 28th.
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 10:43 pm

man, the nobunny van was like the best apartment in brooklyn on wheels! miss that guy already.

"hey! are you justin strauss???" "um, no. i'm lenny kaye" haha!
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 11:55 pm

There's some issue of Bomp where Greg Shaw writes about the 20/20 demo in question. It seemed like they recorded a lot more in that session than just the songs that Bomp put out. I think it's got Nick Lowe on the cover if I remember correctly.

Highlights of the weekend for me:

-Pointed Sticks
Jack Lee (Up until this point I was actually let down I didn't get to see at least one trainwreck reunion show. Hilarious.)
-Yum Yums (SO FUCKING AWESOME. Second best of the weekend behind...)
-Milk 'n' Cookies (Justin was the dream)
-Pushing it through on Thursday night with Vince from the Pets
-Going out to eat with Daniel on Friday.
-Hanging out with Tsubasa, his buddy Nao, Toshio from Base, Maki from Niigata, and the folks from Pram Bath.
-Seeing lots of friends I barely ever get to see + making lots more new ones.
-Meeting Lenny Kaye!!!!
-Record shopping. NYC record stores are lightyears better than Minneapolis. Found a few things I've been looking for for awhile at inexpensive prices.
-The food. Best pizza on the earth award goes to NYC hands down. Plus the abundance of authentic, cheap, Japanese food puts NYC over any other US city I've ever been to. St. Mark's alone was incredible.

Lowlights:

-Missing Jesse's set on Sunday, not getting there in time to catch the Pets on Friday, missing all but four songs of Busy Signals + losing my voice on Friday, being sick all weekend.
-Coming back to Minnesota.

Thanks a lot to Mike for putting this on. It was one of the funnest weekends ever.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 12:22 am

We met Nao in long beach CA during the tour about 2 weeks before the fest.
We told him about the fest, then out of nowhere the day before the fest he calls my cell phone saying he's in New York and has no idea where to go.
ha!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 12:37 am

There's some issue of Bomp where Greg Shaw writes about the 20/20 demo in question. It seemed like they recorded a lot more in that session than just the songs that Bomp put out. I think it's got Nick Lowe on the cover if I remember correctly.

STAY TUNED.....WOW..
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 2:00 am

STAY TUNED.....WOW..

If this is going where I thought it was (and still think it is) going, FUCK YEAH!

Oh yeah, to whoever stole my Kids badge: GIVE IT BACK YOU UNDER THE POOL TABLE FROM THIEVING BITCH!!!!!!!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 2:19 am

shit steve. that sucks! i hope you were able to recover your marbles record, at least.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 2:40 am

hey mike sniper... thanks for the justin spouse clarification... i always KNEW that kathleen turner was married to jay weiss because they were clients at the law firm i worked at.... except that lots of people kept telling me that justin was married to her which confused the hell out of me!

and i will still swear that i've heard 20/20 play "bringing it all" live - and its possible that it was at a gig w/ joel turrisi (who normally played w/ gary valentine) playing drums instead of mike gallo (which happened but i can't remember when... there are photos, so i know i'm not imaging it).

but all in all - kudos a million times over to you for putting on such a wonderful festival. i only wish i could have been there
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:02 am

Yup, RPM fucked that Kathleen Turner shit up and Eric set it straight. The Nick Lowe Bomp Crib Notes is the source for the Phil/Allen & the 20/20 demo tapes. Plural on that. Check out the Johny Rotten Bomp for the former. Sadly-yet-sadly/happily some of those Crib Death tapes are back in circulation. On a positive note, long live Gary Sperrazza! Shakin' Street Gazette for life!!!

Well, I was speachless all four nights. I peed my pants. Wow!! So GREAT... so awesome!!! Nobody fans like me were pleased. Back to the turntable and kissing the cat.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:11 am

Would love to see photos of ALL these peoples/bands - as usual, I've never heard of most, but exciting to read all the great info that's being shared.

C'mon! Share!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 1:53 pm

You know you loved it when I bit your jacket.

i loved it more once i figured out who you were. until then it was just "hey, some dude's biting my jacket!"
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:06 pm

Couple of Speedies vids here, but why not complete songs?

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=dcortex
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 4:07 pm

Pointed Sticks:

Posted: Apr 4, 2007 5:31 pm

Yeah, Gentleman Jesse ruled. People were hungover I guess??? Started same time as the other nights...

I think more shit will be on YouTube soon, we had 2 people from our end with cameras. I know Steve Allen's wife filmed the whole 20/20 set from on top the bar.

Better be some Milk N' Cookies footage because Justin Strauss was such a great front man. What a great way to end the weeked, I got thanked by Lenny Kaye!! Wha??!??
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 6:24 pm

Posted: Apr 4, 2007 6:38 pm

yeah man - I was totally surprised at how awesome they sounded...
guitar fill-in sounded great too...
I forgot he dedicated a song to Ana...
ha!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 6:40 pm

I know Steve Allen's wife filmed the whole 20/20 set from on top the bar.

i must see this. i'd love to see the go! as well.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 7:51 pm

Coolest thing on any merch table:

ORIGINAL COPIES OF THE GO! 7"!!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 7:55 pm

That Milk N Cookies footage is great! Now find some 20/20!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:26 pm

What were they charging? I know someone who bought a big pile from them years ago for like $2 a pop.

Coolest thing on any merch table:

ORIGINAL COPIES OF THE GO! 7"!!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:45 pm

25 for a black copy. 50 for a color one
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 12:03 am

Figures Justin would chime in with a deal/no-deal comment. Heheh, I love ya Justin, you're totally nuts.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 1:44 am

Jack Lee... Wow...That was AWFUL!

I mean, Paper Dolls was great. Are You Famous...Not as good, but at least not awful. And then the other guy came on to play bass.

"We are Jack Lee's Inferno."

They start out a song and screw it up. Jack steps back, then glares at the audience (who really were just waiting) and says something like, "Just WAIT! Yeah, I know you all hate LA."

And then they launch into a "song" called something like "I just wanna play my guitar". And it lasted for the next hour or ten. What amazed me most was that people weren't booing the crap outta the guy. Power poppers sure are polite.

Once he brought the girl up - someone says she's his daugher, but I don't know if that's true - I figured I'd go put some merch in the car. I came back in just as he was finishing the abortion of Hanging On The Telephone.

But that was the only bad thing about the weekend, as far as I was concerned. Mike, you did a GREAT job.

Yum-Yums were probably my favorite of the weekend. Gentleman Jesse...Can't wait till the next show.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 3:25 am

I really don't have much to say about the Jack Lee thing. If it went down the way it was supposed to..I dunno. I guess everbody got something out of it. This guy wrote some of my favorite songs, we'll just leave it at that. He was a real nice guy to me too.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 3:47 am

I really don't have much to say about the Jack Lee thing. If it went down the way it was supposed to..I dunno. I guess everbody got something out of it. This guy wrote some of my favorite songs, we'll just leave it at that. He was a real nice guy to me too

He wrote some FANTASTIC songs, Mike! I was really hoping for "I'm Gonna Have Fun", myself.

And I hope you don't think anybody's blaming you for the Jack Lee Inferno, either.
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®