Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / Mary Weiss + Reigning Sound in Cleveland
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 1:41 am

Mary Weiss Solo LP (Norton Records) Release Party
+ Reigning Sound
Beachland Ballroom
Cleveland, Ohio

9 PM in the Ballroom
Saturday March 3

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectio nData&pl=&eventId=87534
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 9:53 am

We heard about this. This most definately will not suck.
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 9:57 am

if you haven't heard mary weiss's singing voice OTHER than the shangri-la's, you are going to be in for a big surprise.

its like fine wine. if "leader of the pack" was teen angst at its finest hour, the mary weiss of today is "lady" defined. the nuance, the soul... she's so amazing... there really are no words to describe just how great she is.

i can't wait.
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 2:36 pm

So, can someone in the know let us in on whether or not this a one-time-only happening? Are there plans for other shows in cities other than Cleveland and NYC?
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 3:20 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

Posted: Jan 3, 2007 4:46 pm

i can't wait.

Are you coming to this then? Lula got me these tickets for Christmas.
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 4:51 pm

Are you coming to this then

i was planning on it; i'm totally hooked up in cleveland. it just depends on if i have work in LA for which i must be present. otherwise i am there and "telecommuting" as they say
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 5:17 pm

Just tell them you're going to the bathroom and when you get back 2 days later, say "I'm pretty sure I TOLD you I was going to the bathroom in Cleveland..."
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 8:03 pm

if you haven't heard mary weiss's singing voice OTHER than the shangri-la's, you are going to be in for a big surprise.

its like fine wine.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw Ronnie Spector a couple years ago.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 5:39 am

Yup... Lyndsey & I will be there will bell's on & all that bullshit.

Lyndsey did not get these tickets for Christmas. From me, she got OSU vs. Tennessee basketball tickets & from her dad, she & her mom got Rod Stewart tickets. She did all right.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 6:51 am

So, can someone in the know let us in on whether or not this a one-time-only happening? Are there plans for other shows in cities other than Cleveland and NYC?
SXSW, maybe more... Mary hasn't performed in a long long time so I guess they are gonna see how these dates go before booking more.

But TK speaks the truth... Mary Weiss's voice is as soulful and seasoned as can be, gritty in all the right parts... From what I've heard of the recordings, these shows will drop dead amazing!
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 7:32 pm

is there a new york show lined up? where & when?
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 9:20 pm

its like fine wine

she sounds like she's been on more than wine.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 4:04 am

Mary hasn't performed in a long long time so I guess they are gonna see how these dates go before booking more.

I'm sure the Cleveburg show will be a monster hit. Hell, there are many kids in Cleveburg that will go out to see Carol play bass.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 1:07 am

Not up-to-date. Is the record out yet?
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 11:01 am

Hell, there are many kids in Cleveburg that will go out to see Carol play bass.

True, but they ain't exactly kids anymore.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Not up-to-date. Is the record out yet?

this show will be the release party
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm going to this.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:55 pm

bring ear plugs.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 10:28 am

Posted: Jan 12, 2007 2:32 pm | Edited by: d diggler

Posted: Jan 12, 2007 3:15 pm

I coulda had that for a dollar? FUCK! Hey douche, bring me one at our next "practice."
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 4:49 pm

The one song I heard was amazing. I so want to go to this show. That record may be the album of the year
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 4:41 am

The one song I heard was amazing. I so want to go to this show. That record may be the album of the year

Me an Junior are headin' down there, if you wanna roll..
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 8:50 pm

You may be hearing from me about that
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 9:58 pm

am i missing something? i didn't think there was an NYC date for this. i haven't seen one anywhere. is it happening here too?
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 1:06 am

i just bought 2 for cleveland...
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 3:46 am

You know what the real kicker is?

At the Beachland Ballroom on the Friday night before is The Box Tops w/all original members. Good weekend to be in Cleveland.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 3:21 pm

whats a decent hotel around the ballroom, never been there?
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Why is a pair of small pants like a small hotel? no ballroom!
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 7:30 pm

whats a decent hotel around the ballroom, never been there?

If it's decent, it's not around there...
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 3:21 pm

If it's decent, it's not around there...
by decent I meant drugs and hookers near by though.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 4:06 pm

Aren't there any Cleveland people that can help Rich out here?

I stayed up there once after a show at the beachland on a NYE and it was a pretty nice hotel, but I can't remember which one. It was on Euclid though, and was about a 10 minute drive, I think? Not a bad area. I don't think it was cheap though...
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 1:59 am

thanks, I guess I can afford to NOT be a cheap ass every once an a while!
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 3:30 am

there's this old punk guy who lives down in collinwood (beachland neighborhood) who will probably let you crash on his floor or some shit. problem is unless you get directions to his house and then get in by yerself yer gonna be out till 5am lookin for someplace thatll sell you alcohol for less than a dollar and yelling at cars and stuff.
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 4:51 am

rich, the holiday inn on lakeside downtown is about 10 minutes away (216)241-5100. there are a couple of other hotels listed on the beachlandballroom.com site that are all pretty close by cleveland standards.
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 2:05 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

very cool, 10 minutes away is great, any further than that an I'll be buzzed up and getting lost after the show.
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 4:53 pm

its cool, ill drive! find a campground 40 minutes away
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 8:53 pm | Edited by: trippydude

more Reigning Sound shows just added:

@ Maxwells in Hoboken 3/10
@ Southpaw in Brooklyn 3/11

@ Austin Convention Center 3/15 8:30pm
(additional Austin show)
Lonestar Rollergirls -vs.- the LA Derby Dolls
with musical guests
Reigning Sound!
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 11:17 pm

I will be at this show.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 1:23 am

just got Crowne Plaza City Centre, downtown for 39$ a night, with Priceline service charges and all taxes in worked out to 97.93$ for Friday and Saturday
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 3:08 am

Bunch of us Pittsburghers are coming down to this, I had no idea people were traveling for it. Hope it doesn't sell out.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 2:24 pm

i'm coming over from findlay and some indiana people are coming and some torontoians.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 4:56 pm

Mary Weiss w/ Reigning Sound!
will perform on
on
Late Night with Conan O'Brien (NBC)
March 13.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:37 pm

wow! thats fucking excellent!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:47 pm

Cleveland Goners - any restaurant recommendations? Lake Erie fish fry? Polish deli/perogies?
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:51 pm

Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:34 am

Two days away I so cant wait
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 1:27 pm | Edited by: DevilDog

I posted this in the other section but thought it should go here too as I KNOW some of you are gonna get lost going here.....ignore this advice at your own expense.......

The directions you get off the internet ARE going to get you lost on the way to the Beachland, especially because there's no sign for 152nd St. and you're going to go straight thinking S. Waterloo and Waterloo are the same street but there's a jog in the middle where it has nothing to do with either road named Waterloo. It's really, REALLY f-ing confusing if you've never been there:

- when you exit I-90 @ exit 180B you're on S. Waterloo, you go through an intersection (I think it's just one) and you come to a stop sign. To your left is the overpass for I90 - this is 152nd St. and you need to turn left. It's not marked 152nd St. at that intersection in any way. Go under the overpass and Waterloo Rd. cuts to the right. The other thing to remember: if you don't turn at that intersection, you're going to start going past a bunch of trucking and storage places which will mean you went too far. Good luck getting back as that street is a mess. Waterloo and S. Waterloo are on opposite sides of the highway - in other words, following S. Waterloo and thinking you're going to eventually hit Waterloo or get to the Beachland will not work. Just a little heads up as everyone I know gets lost there. I did for years.

Also, the Beachland has a nice jukebox in the back bar (think Norton-type records) and the food there is excellent. I also just saw The Griefs are playing afterwards in the tavern and are definately worth checking out. The Dead Boys couldn't sell out the Beachland on Halloween and I don't think I've ever seen it sell out - it's a pretty big room - so don't worry too much about getting shut out if you don't have a ticket yet. I bought my ticket this AM so I known they have them left.

One last thing - if you haven't gotten a hotel yet, the Radisson downtown is our favorite and is pretty cheap. I also seem to luck into free parking when staying there. Cleveland gets a bad rap, mostly deserved in the past, but walk down to the public square (head toward the R'N'R HOF and you'll hit it) and you won't believe how beautifully the city has been revitalized. It's impressive. (I know, I'm loooooong-winded)
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:28 pm

with keyboards.awesome.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:27 pm

I posted this in the other section but thought it should go here too as I KNOW some of you are gonna get lost going here.....ignore this advice at your own expense.......

The directions you get off the internet ARE going to get you lost on the way to the Beachland, especially because there's no sign for 152nd St. and you're going to go straight thinking S. Waterloo and Waterloo are the same street but there's a jog in the middle where it has nothing to do with either road named Waterloo. It's really, REALLY f-ing confusing if you've never been there:

- when you exit I-90 @ exit 180B you're on S. Waterloo, you go through an intersection (I think it's just one) and you come to a stop sign. To your left is the overpass for I90 - this is 152nd St. and you need to turn left. It's not marked 152nd St. at that intersection in any way. Go under the overpass and Waterloo Rd. cuts to the right. The other thing to remember: if you don't turn at that intersection, you're going to start going past a bunch of trucking and storage places which will mean you went too far. Good luck getting back as that street is a mess. Waterloo and S. Waterloo are on opposite sides of the highway - in other words, following S. Waterloo and thinking you're going to eventually hit Waterloo or get to the Beachland will not work. Just a little heads up as everyone I know gets lost there. I did for years.

Also, the Beachland has a nice jukebox in the back bar (think Norton-type records) and the food there is excellent. I also just saw The Griefs are playing afterwards in the tavern and are definately worth checking out. The Dead Boys couldn't sell out the Beachland on Halloween and I don't think I've ever seen it sell out - it's a pretty big room - so don't worry too much about getting shut out if you don't have a ticket yet. I bought my ticket this AM so I known they have them left.

One last thing - if you haven't gotten a hotel yet, the Radisson downtown is our favorite and is pretty cheap. I also seem to luck into free parking when staying there. Cleveland gets a bad rap, mostly deserved in the past, but walk down to the public square (head toward the R'N'R HOF and you'll hit it) and you won't believe how beautifully the city has been revitalized. It's impressive. (I know, I'm loooooong-winded)

THANKS
THANKS
THANKS

I printed this up for the ride down there!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:48 pm

Devildog, wear a rose behind your left ear so Nick and I will recognize you!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 10:17 pm

i'll be the stoned guy in the corner.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:17 am | Edited by: DevilDog

so Nick and I will recognize you

I'll likely have a backpack with a bunch of camera crap in it. Make sure you do say "hi", it would be nice to have a brew. My name's Wade.

If it's the guy that's always there, tell me if you think the guy at the door looks like he was seperated at birth from Dave Grohl. Just saying.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 10:32 pm

If it's the guy that's always there, tell me if you think the guy at the door looks like he was seperated at birth from Dave Grohl. Just saying.

jon?

URL
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 11:10 pm

hey everyone in clevo........have fun tonight!
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 11:32 pm

Dave P looks a little more like Dave Grohl.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 8:22 am

so - this show has happened.
who went? how was it?
what was the set list?
anyone take pix?
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 10:28 am | Edited by: DevilDog

Veni, vidi.........I don't remember what "they conquered" would be in Latin.

I thought you were going, TK?? You were one person I would have recognized although you probably don't remember meeting me in Chicago.

Anyway, I went, took lots of pics right down front (think I nabbed some good ones), and am TERRIBLE with setlists. I wouldn't know the names of Mary's new songs yet but she did sing some Shangri-Las' songs ("Remember (Walking in the Sand)", "Give Him a Great Big Kiss", etc.) and a few of Greg's tunes. I can tell you the show was spectacular, Reigning Sound OWNED (and played all our favorites including a few Oblivians' tunes, "Live the Life" and "Bad Man") and Mary is still a serious MILF. And she was having a blast up there.

I'll post some pictures after I go through them. I also took some film photos which I'll post later this week.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 10:31 am

Forgot to also mention, Tough and Lovely were their usual, great selves.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 4:23 pm

Mary was fantastic. We were all a bit nervous, but the Beachland and all the great folks of Cleveland put us at ease. Thanks to all the Goners who made the trek, from Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Detroit, etc etc etc. TK-the other Shangs songs were \"Train from Kansas City\" and \"Heaven Only Knows\"
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 5:55 pm

goosebumps
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 10:51 pm

Well worth the trip from Pittsburgh! Reigning Sound rocked it so fucking hard.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 6:49 am

hey thanks for the report! i'm sure other folks are curious too.
i missed you all and really wanted to be there.

oh, lance why would you EVER be nervous at the beachland??? cleveland LUVS the reigning sound and the beachland... well... you know that place is your 2nd home whenever you need one
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 1:08 pm

Great show! I have to say that the song Andy Robertson wrote is amazing!! I think it's called "I Just Missed You"? Anyway, fantastic song, and the record is great all the way around.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 5:50 pm

Yeah the show was awesome. Mary looks and sounds great. Afterward she signed autogrpahs and took pictures with the fans too.

Way good times it was worth the drive
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 7:45 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

Way good times it was worth the drive
True!
Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame wasn't that great though, went there for a bit, but seeing Otis Redding's coat (the one he was wearing when he died) was pretty fucking crazy, and I like the Beatles stuff.

Mary, T&L and RS were ALL great.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 7:49 pm

here is me pissing on the Yoko Ono painted guitar at the RnR Hall of Fame!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/turnitdown81/mepiss.jpg
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:19 pm

The Hall of fame needs stuff from the doo wop, the girl group and the garage era. That California hippie Eagles/Linda Rondstadt/Doobie Brothers display can go away
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 4:28 pm | Edited by: DevilDog

The R'N'R HOF gets a bad rap but, c'mon, that place is damn cool if you get past some of the stupid shit. That big display with the letters to Rolling Stone magazine, the hate letters to the Stones from kids in the Phillipines, the display of Les Paul related stuff including how guitars evolved, the Bowie costumes, the Petty display, etc., etc. - that shit is cool as hell. They changed the Dylan display in the special hall (can't remember the big, round hall's name) to something else (what is it now??) but that Dylan exhibit was freaking awesome, like him or not. I also dug the Pink Floyd stuff in the main hall and the big punk display. That place is better than most people would like to give it credit for. And where else can a guitar junkie find THAT many kick ass guitars on display?? You guys are just being picky.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 6:21 pm

the guitars were cool, the Jimi Hendrix outfits were pretty awesome too, that dude had some crazy shit!

A good portion of the Hall of Fame was closed for construction too, so I don't know what we missed there, they knocked a whole THREE BUCKS off are entry-fee!!!
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 8:15 pm

I only went to the RnR hall of fame once and it was to see John Cale (with about 20 other people that showed up) and that ruled. But they hurried us out because we paid for a ticket and not to look at the displays...
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 12:03 am

That California hippie Eagles/Linda Rondstadt/Doobie Brothers display can go away

i did the eagles video ....
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 6:13 pm

That California hippie Eagles/Linda Rondstadt/Doobie Brothers display can go away

i did the eagles video ....

Sorry Theresa but I am not a fan of that kind of music
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 7:04 pm

Hey! Take it easy!
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 8:29 pm

Sorry Theresa but I am not a fan of that kind of music

neither am i, but work is work.

AND.... really.... millions of people ARE fans of that kinda music and that's probably why that display will always be there

the rock n roll hall of fame is a crock anyway.... the museum is one thing - a few tourist dollars for the city; the organization.... don't get me started.

what the whole thing does to cleveland is a crime.... foundation and donor money for arts/music/etc all goes to the rock hall and other much more deserving local (as in clevo and ohio) arts/music organizations get really and truly screwed by having the rock hall there. i could go on, but everyone in the 216 knows what i mean
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 8:36 pm

I'm in Ohio but not in the 216 and just thought the whole experience inside the museum was much better than I had been led to believe it would be. There's neat stuff in there and the politics schmolitics don't interest me at all. Every field has their beefs, I work in the medical field - we laboratory workers have ours, most of which no worker outside that arena would care to know. I've never watched an induction ceremony or anything like that and don't care much for many of the bands featured in there. I just thought the museum was cool.

The Hall is what it is to schmucks like me who just want to see neat musical stuff. Hope that doesn't offend anyone in the biz.
Posted: Mar 8, 2007 9:35 pm

if you like the presentations in the rock hall, you will LOVE the country music hall of fame presentations, and the STAX museum, while small in comparison, is chock full of amazings!

the collections and memorabilia at these places are fab....
the organizations, not so
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®