Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / ATL- MIGHTY HANNIBAL b/w BLACK LIPS, REIGNING SOUND - 1/12
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 4:46 am

yes ye yes yes!!!

mark yer calendars now.....

Mighty Hannibal backed by the Black Lips
the Reigning Sound
The EARL - Friday January 12

Sure Shot R&B Myhem
venue TBA - Saturday January 13

but dig this... spinning 45's:
Mr. Finewine making his Atlanta debut
with Brian "Agent 45" Poust, Kurt Wood, Greg Cartwright, Tim "Rhythm & Booze" Lawrence, and probably even more...
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 5:45 am

whoah!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 2:42 pm

just got my tix. the venue holds less than 300 so it will sell out.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 2:56 pm

whoah!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 9:33 pm

haohw!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 11:48 pm

Holy shit! If you don't attend the mighty Hannibal you are crazy! He's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 12:53 am

What's the scoop on tickets. Website? H-E-L-P.
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 1:26 am

Holy shit! If you don't attend the mighty Hannibal you are crazy! He's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total.
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 1:30 am

Posted: Nov 7, 2006 2:17 am

thevenue is about four blocks from my house. ican put up a few people if anyonewants tocomefrom out oftown. the space bar on this computer sucks.
Posted: Nov 10, 2006 12:34 am

Mr. Finewine, Brian "Agent 45" Poust, Kurt Wood, Greg Cartwright, Tim "Rhythm & Booze" Lawrence

Damn fine DJ line-up!
Black Lips backing Hannibal?
Posted: Nov 10, 2006 2:21 am

Black Lips backing Hannibal?

yea...jared's been working on this shit for a year now. it gonna be off the hook. i gots my tickets too. well, trey bought me one because i'm a loser and aint got not money.
Posted: Jan 1, 2007 7:04 am

bumpity bump bump... y'all come!
Posted: Jan 1, 2007 6:28 pm

alix and i are going!!
Posted: Jan 1, 2007 6:31 pm

Greg Cartwright,

no.
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 6:46 am

alix and i are going!!
cool! be sure to say hi!

also Gentleman Jesse and his Men have been added to bill! how cool is that!!!
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 4:03 pm

see you there, bitches!
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 1:27 am

Almost sold out.

likely to be nothing at the door. If anyone needs tix, do what ya must... cuz you snooze, you looze...
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 3:36 am

anything going on saturday night?
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 3:39 am

mission of burma, same venue.
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 4:05 am

9lb Hammer Sat nite at the Star Bar in Little Five Points.....
Funky Soul Dance partywith Agent 45 at Octane Sat nite, too... guests TBA....
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 5:22 pm

any more info on that dance party?
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 8:13 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

Sure Shot R&B Myhem

same thing?
Posted: Jan 3, 2007 8:42 pm

dance party is Sat nite at this joint.. http://www.octanecoffee.com/
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 2:52 am

Is there going to be a good recording made of this?
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 3:29 pm

Hopefully that one real shitty sound guy won't be working and it will just sound good to begin with.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 3:43 pm

it will definitely be recorded. how good it is will be a question of the method, which i don't think is worked out yet.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 3:44 pm

...and a question of how good they play....they gotta learn how to tune their guitars then and i've heard word of a wah petal ?!?
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 4:26 pm

Buck Wilders - if you're coming down, bring records and I'll throw you on the tables Saturday night.

The DJ thing is like this: Friday night, Mr. Finewine and myself. With three bands, that's all I can manage. The EARL is notorious about kicking people out quickly after the bands finish. If I can convince them (somehow) to stay open later, we might be able to get in a little bit of post-show dance party.......don't hold your breath.

Saturday night:
Octane Coffee Bar & Lounge: 1009-B Marietta Street (at Howell Mill) 9pm until.... They have a great selection of "boutique" beers (Belgians/Microbrews) local brew Sweetwater, a few wines and liquor. The PA system isn't that good, but there will be room for strutting your stuff on the dance floor. No smoking inside. DJs are Kurt Wood, Greg Cartwright (hoping to re-confirm this as there was just a verbal confirmation given a couple months ago), Tim Lawrence (Rhythm & Booze), Rob Baker (Hot Slop) and myself.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 4:37 pm

Hey Brian! Sell me some records!
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 5:14 pm

Sure Shot R&B Myhem

Was this listed somewhere else?

...and whatup Bazooka Joe! rekkids is a little light right about now, but I'm working on a couple things....
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 6:32 pm | Edited by: grrtch

Sure Shot R&B Myhem

Was this listed somewhere else?

nope... just spreading the news I'd heard before Christmas...
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 7:32 pm

Buck Wilders - if you're coming down, bring records and I'll throw you on the tables Saturday night.

If there is any way I can make it down there I'll let you know. Funds are limited right now. Memphis light,gas, & water just took a big bite outta my ass. I'd love to see Hannibal in action! Anybody wanna take Buck down south with them?
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 7:40 pm

Anybody wanna take Buck down south with them?

Not if you're gonna talk like that the whole way down.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 7:42 pm

This statement was so FULL of possibility and promise, Joe. You blew it.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 9:12 pm

I was only going to suggest that he already has a girlfriend....
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 9:18 pm

This statement was so FULL of possibility and promise, Joe. You blew it.

Nah, just wasn't feelin' it. It wasn't phrased the way I like it.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 9:25 pm

You wanna go down south on me Joe? Won't Ned get mad?
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 9:27 pm

Buck mo' funny than BJ today.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 9:34 pm

He better enjoy this moment. I'm busy at work. That's a motherfuck of a handicap.
Posted: Jan 4, 2007 11:09 pm | Edited by: Buck Wilders

I'm busy at work.

Yeah, leg humpin' Neddy all day is a motherfuck of a handicap.
Posted: Jan 7, 2007 5:16 pm

anyone else coming to town for this?
Posted: Jan 7, 2007 5:38 pm

i would say that you could ride with us andrew, but we're going down for 5 days.....
Posted: Jan 7, 2007 10:29 pm

ya, that would be funny. april, call me!!!!!!!!!!!1
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 6:52 pm

Miriam Linna and Debbie D are also comin' down from NYC!
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 8:11 pm

so is this thing sold out yet? i was thinking of making the trip if i can do a double shot w/ Mission of Burma.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 10:00 pm

is the mission of burma show sold out?
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 10:35 pm

hey alix and april? when are you guys going and comin' back?
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 10:39 pm

One note,
If they bring the organ player for RS, see if y'all can get them to play "Girl" lounge-style. They did it a few times for sound-check on NYE, but we didn't have the recording gear set up yet, and couldn't record it. GREAT alternate take.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 10:45 pm

so is this thing sold out yet?

As of Sunday afternoon, no. I went by Criminal Records to get a few tickets for friends coming from out of town, and there seemed to be a nice stack of them left. If in doubt, http://www.criminal.com Give 'em a call.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:23 am

we're going thursday morning to monday night
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:48 am

do ya think it'd be possible to go with you? i don't really got a lot to do around town here and i'd like to see the black lips again.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 4:50 am

If they bring the organ player for RS

Dave Amel is an official member of RS now I hear...
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 8:02 pm

do ya think it'd be possible to go with you?

well, nevermind. i have a humongoid meeting for roller derby and if i miss it, i'd probably be in a world of shit. :( ugh.
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 4:59 pm

Posted: Jan 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Thanks for posting that link, Agony Bag.

A former pimp, heroin addict and convict

He was also a Nation of Islam minister simultaneous with his Pimp game. His Muslim name was Bahith (which some may recognize as the record label for one of his ex-wife's 45s). If asked, he will generally cite a Bible quote which gives justification for pimping, as well. I can't remember what the verse is, however.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 8:03 pm

there's a article in this weeks creative loafing (atl's free weekly culture mag) about hannibal. its got some current quotes. he seems like a rad dude.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A181126
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 8:07 pm

He is rad. I met him the night I moved to NY. Sixteene picked me up form the airport, took me to the Wows!ville a Go Go party, and he was there! I couldn't believe it. Hannibalism wasn't even out yet, I just knew about him from the "Fishin' Pole" 45.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 1:01 am

He was also a Nation of Islam minister simultaneous with his Pimp game. His Muslim name was Bahith (which some may recognize as the record label for one of his ex-wife's 45s). If asked, he will generally cite a Bible quote which gives justification for pimping, as well. I can't remember what the verse is, however.

Also, kinda interesting, from his work in the ministry, Hannibal was acquainted with Jared's family which ran a white gospel label in Atlanta... funny how the circle comes back around, eh?
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 1:02 am

there's a article in this weeks creative loafing (atl's free weekly culture mag) about hannibal. its got some current quotes. he seems like a rad dude.

Is the Stomp and Stammer out yet? Should have stories on both Hannibal and the Black Lips..
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 3:22 am

so this shit isn't sold out yet? i assume i can walk up to the door tommorow night then? right? yippie.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 10:26 am

Mighty Hannibal:
While he's grateful to the young people who've reenergized his career, he's not impressed with their music. He calls out 50 Cent in particular for the rapper's suggestive comments about Oprah's generosity toward her friend Gail. He notes how the talk-show host opened her checkbook after Hurricane Katrina: "What da hell did 50 Cent do? And if he thinks I dissed him, he can come fuck with me and I'll dis him for real, because I don't appreciate anyone taking our icons and belittling them."
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 2:27 pm

so this shit isn't sold out yet? i assume i can walk up to the door tommorow night then? right? yippie.

maybe, but if you're going to risk it i'd be sure to be there right when doors open. you're best bet would be to go by criminal records and pick one up, i went by yesterday to get an extra one for a friend and they seemed to have only about ten left. then my roommate went and bought 3 more so the pickin' gettin' slim.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 4:55 pm

And if he thinks I dissed him, he can come fuck with me and I'll dis him for real, because I don't appreciate anyone taking our icons and belittling them.

Go Hannibal! I'm impressed!!
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Have fun you busters. Jerk the dog!
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 8:00 pm

Posted: Jan 12, 2007 9:29 pm

SOLD OUT
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 10:37 pm

...and back in December, Jared was saying, "Gee, I hope people will come...." bless his heart!
Posted: Jan 13, 2007 12:25 am

yea i went by after fucking work. sold the fuck out. boo hoo.
Posted: Jan 13, 2007 9:56 pm

in between the sets, the mayor made jan 12th hannibal day in atlanta.
Posted: Jan 13, 2007 11:48 pm

got waylaid in texas and missed this stuff. did manage to get back in time catch this good preachers kids show in mempiss, but no mission of burma for me fucking bummer - that's when it all gets blown away. was it roger miller who had such hearing damage that he plays with those huge ear muffs?
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 12:20 am

forming new Mission Of Burma cover band, called Mission of Myanmar, or Union of Myanmar, or something...- that is as far as i've got. apply now.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 12:31 am

how was this show?!?!?
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 1:21 am

YEAH!
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 4:40 am

...and back in December, Jared was saying, "Gee, I hope people will come...." bless his heart!

NAME DROP!
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 4:57 am

look, I just wrote an article on them... gimmee a break. talking to people who make music is just part of what I do.

I found it interesting that he set this up and wasn't at all sure he had a hit... Shows passion take a leap of faith even tho not sure it'll work. very cool. why I bothered to make the remark. and the meaning's lost without saying who said it... blah.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Gee whiz RB, is there anyone here that doesn't know Swilley and the rest of the mutants?
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 5:34 pm

who are you grrtch?
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 5:39 pm

he's an rem fan an a secret spy on gayragepunk.com.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi April, you were there weren't ya? Great night, wasn't it? shoot, I'm gonna be feeling mighty rosey over that night for a long long time!

I write for Stomp and Stammer among other regional rags, but S&S is funnest.. also I do a podcast for, ahem, gaypunk.com.. hehe... Hanging On For Mercy is the show.. Gretchen LaBudde is the byline... yep, thass me..
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 7:03 pm

yes i was there, and i was very drunk so i didn't remember who i had met. good bands. good times.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 8:07 pm

oh girl, I was very drunk, too.. rolling large on shots of patron... don't think we met, but I do recall while I was gabbing backstage, a woman came into the room calling out for Alix? that right? mighta been you. So many people there to say howdy to.. hard to touch all the bases.

anyhoo, I got go frigging twisted drunk that not even a plate of grits and eggs at the Majestic soaked up the booze. After riding back to Athens where I could enjoy the bed spins in *my* very own bed just before the sun rose, I was down for the count when time came to hit last night's record party. Heard from my hubbie that he got the joint hopping around 12:30 or so, that it was great fun. You there or did ya already head back? Right now, he's shilling wax at the record show. Having a good day, too, now that all the young punks now know he's got the goods.

yup, good times!
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 8:46 pm

so how did the black lips backing sound with hannibal?
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 8:59 pm

so how did the black lips backing sound with hannibal?

Hannibal only played like 4 or 5 songs. I thought The Black Lips were good but they played it very straight up and restrained - no pedals, effects, or anything psychedelic. They were all wearing suits. The organ player from Thee Crucials was also with them. After Hannibal was done, they did a short Black Lips set with Too Much In Love, Stone Cold, and MIA. Reigning Sound was awesome and Gentelman Jesse was really good too.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 9:08 pm

well, there's divergent opinions...

frankly I was impressed as hell with how well they pulled it off.. total departure from their own sound, but then, they never quite reached the immpeccable tightness of crack funky soul sidemen, but shit, after what,like three rehearsals with Hannibal, they learned nine songs, performed six... short but god bless 'em! they made it happen. in fact that show woulda never happened at all had they not put up the money to bring him down.

the only naysayers were the funky soul purists.. and you know who you are, and I still loves ya... but to da purists, bah! *I* hadda good time!
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 9:12 pm

Hannibal only played like 4 or 5 songs.

hmm, six I thought... of course I blew my credibility as soon as I mentioned all the tequila...

you Memph peeps are right.. that organ in the Reigning Sound sounds awesome! adds so much texture, opens up so much of their catalog to playing live.. really wonderful.

and Gent Jesse won a buncha new fans! I was in back by the merch telling the ones who missed them to buy their single, that they'd thank me in the morning!
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 9:16 pm

hell yeah. sounds like a great show. go jesse!
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 9:39 pm

And it can't be overstated but MAJOR props to the Black Lips for taking on a challenge this ambitious and in general putting together a kick ass weekend.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 11:31 pm

Heard from my hubbie that he got the joint hopping around 12:30 or so, that it was great fun.

AHEM..
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 1:27 am

and what's AHEM 'sposed to mean? hmmm?
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 1:34 am

you Memph peeps are right.. that organ in the Reigning Sound sounds awesome! adds so much texture, opens up so much of their catalog to playing live.. really wonderful.

had you not seen them when alex was in the band? or heard their first 2 records? while i love them as a 3-piece - the organ really adds something fabulous - not just to the RS but to many bands.

and that dave amels sure can play, too. i saw him w/ the RS in brooklyn over the summer, while they were recording and he'd only just met them and it was like he BELONGED in the band. a good, natural fit.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 3:15 am

I meant to say AMEN!!!
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 3:19 am

and that dave amels sure can play, too. i saw him w/ the RS in brooklyn over the summer, while they were recording and he'd only just met them and it was like he BELONGED in the band. a good, natural fit.

You shoulda seen Ira Kaplan with the A-Bones on New years. Wow!
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 3:41 am

Hey Joe, I bet that was a sight!!! ...even if his band did butcher Emulsified.. ;)

had you not seen them when alex was in the band? or heard their first 2 records? while i love them as a 3-piece - the organ really adds something fabulous - not just to the RS but to many bands.

never saw them with Alex, but I do have all the albums, most all the singles, too. We had lost touch with our friends in Memphis until we went to the O's reunion that one Halloween right before Greg moved to Asheville. All of our old friends were raving about Greg's new band... and of course all the stores in Memphis were sold out, nobody in Atlanta or Athens had it, not at all into mail order then.. so it was a year after that I found 'em ...in Milwaukee at Rushmore, great store! fell ass over tea kettle in love with those albums, but no never saw them with Alex... love the three piece, but the organ really does allow them to play a buncha stuff that I'd only ever heard recorded. man, that really just sounded powerfully soulful on Friday...

and Oh, AMEN! cool! man, sucked so bad I couldn't be there!
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Blinded ..
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 9:28 pm

by the light ..
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 9:46 pm

wraped up like a douche
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:16 am

Anybody got pictures?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 6:45 am

man, dat shit was crazy... miss atlanta already!
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 8:25 pm

Actually, not the mayor. It was Michael Julian Bond who is a city Councilman and son of former NAACP president Julian Bond. Alongside Bond was Mukasa Dada, Hermon Hitson, Shurfine Records owner Wendell Parker's son, and others. A damn fine evening, and our best ever Sure Shot event at Octane ever.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Julian Bond's birthday was just the other day. Crazy!
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 11:56 pm

Actually, not the mayor.

you're right. i just said that because they were speaking on behalf of the mayor and i missed their names. or am i completely wrong?
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 3:34 am

Posted: Jan 17, 2007 3:38 pm

thanks rich!
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 2:15 am

no problem, glad they posted it that fast!
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:10 am

you so right! extra cool of Debbie to get that up so quickly! She's a maniac, that girl!

but in case it matters to anyone, Henry Ownings has promised that a better sounding recording will go up on the Chunklet site soon, that in a comment on Debbie's blog entry

anyone privy to how well the video footage came out? I saw something like three cameramen that night... of course, it's already been established that my ability to count was completely compromised by tequila... hehe
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 1:55 am

As good as it gets for a digital point-and-click and not being right up front:

here
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®