Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / 1st Annual Radio Heartbeat POWERPOP 3-Day Festival Early Dec. NYC
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:34 am

Word's been trickling out the slightest bit, so I thought I'd start the thread for this.

The first Powerpop festival in NYC, maybe the first in the US (can't be sure.)

The dates are either 11/30, 12/1 and 12/2 (Thurs/Fri/Sat) or 12/1, 12/2 and 12/3 (Fri/Sat/Sun).

Mini-record shows during the day, bands at night, with some afterparties at various locations. The shows will be at Southpaw in Brooklyn, most of you might be familiar with the locale for all the Dot Dash festivals.

While I haven't confirmed all the headliners/main support, these ones have confirmed:

20/20
THE SPEEDIES
THE NEIGHBORHOODS
THE FEVERS

NOTE: I'm working on 2 other possible headliners, either would be a big deal for powerpop fans, if you're in the know, please don't say anything until I'm 100% sure on them.

Support Bands:

The Busy Signals
The Nice Boys
The Suspicions
Tina and the Total Babes
The Pets
Electric Shadows
Baby Shakes
Felt-Ups (Italy)
Beat, Beat, Beat
Gentleman Jesse and His Men

And for all you powerpop-hating Goners, I'll paraphrase a favorite Stiff button "It's OK to like Nick Lowe."

Advanced tickets and 3-day passes will be available soon. If you want to be informed when they are, email me at: radio.heartbeat@yahoo.com

Thanks
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 3:01 pm

Great stuff Mike! I'm super excited about this...
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:45 pm

It's a pretty cool line up with just the support bands.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:51 pm

Yeah, that'll be a fun weekend. I forget who the Neighborhoods are ... what song(s) are they known for?
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:03 pm

"Prettiest Girl" was their big single, but they put out 2 great LP's in the ugly mid-eighties. They were pretty big in Boston.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:16 pm

man, I wish I could go but I'll be at DISNEY WORLD.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 8:44 pm | Edited by: Radio Heartbeat

I'm close enough to closing a deal with the 3rd headliner to make mention of it.

THE DIODES.

I'd say it's 80% gonna happen.

We'll be DJing the monthly Radio Heartbeat powerpop night this Saturday at the K and M bar in Williamsburg. Corner of North 8th and Roebling. Mostly powerpop, but some glam and kbd punk as well.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:33 pm

can't believe i'll be on the other side of the country for this!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 5:17 am

Wow, looks pretty awesome.
I'll make the drive fo sho.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 5:39 am

Yeah, super psyched. Wish Fevers and 20/20 could play the same show. That'd be too much. When was the last time 20/20 played?
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 6:39 am

You need to get the Pointed Sticks in on this shit!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 7:11 am

The SCRUFFS!
dammit!
get 'em to play!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 7:36 am

I wanted the Scruffs, but they relocated to Scotland.

As far as Pointed Sticks, they were as close as you can get to confirming before backing out. They were on the bill and off like three times in 2 weeks. They gave me a tentative yes to next year as did a certain midwest band. Let's concentrate on this year!

Anyway, back to this year. Southpaw fucked up and forgot about Saturday, so Saturday will definately be at a different venue, hopefully it'll all get squared away this weekend. I hope to have tickets on sale as soon as this is settled and I get a 100% from one of the 2 other possible headliners (The Diodes being the one I'm closest to getting right now.)

It's totally possible that the Fevers and 20/20 are on the same bill. Speedies and Neighborhoods are slotted to play the same night as well.
Hopefully the Radio Heartbeat label will be up and running with our projected 1st release, a Speedies LP with both singles and demo studio tracks. Working out the kinks with the band now.

Ok, more updates as they come.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 8:09 am | Edited by: Adam K

A certain midwest band? The Shivvers BETTER do a Milwaukee show before anything else!!!!!!! I know they still play together in town, so all they need is a bit of motivation...
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 8:10 am | Edited by: Radio Heartbeat

Fuck, you guys are quick!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 4:28 pm

MILK N COOKIES!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 4:34 pm

The Scruffs moved to Scotland? - didn't they just play in Memphis a few months ago? damn.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 4:35 pm

The Boyfriends! Jim Basnight & The Moberlys!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 5:20 pm

I'm pretty sure Jim Basnight still plays out. Boyfriends are one of the few I'd really like to see. Their Bomp single is pretty great -- a $5 single that blows away pretty much all of the $100 stuff.

What's up with the "Mini-record shows during the day"? I always have tons of powerpo(o)p to unload.
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 5:25 pm

I always have tons of powerpo(o)p to unload.

email me!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 5:53 pm

Damn, I really wish the Pointed Sticks could've been on this. So who is the other headliner? Is there one, or did i misread that?
Posted: Sep 2, 2006 12:43 am

Bad news,

One of the main headliners, 20/20 will not be able to play. The frontman, Ron Flynt had a freak accident and broke several bones.

I knew I should have waited until next week to start promoting.

Pretty dejected right now, but still-working on a suitable replacement.
Posted: Sep 2, 2006 5:27 am

Wow, that sucks, hope the replacement is justa s good. 20/20 not playing puts a damper on me coming.
Posted: Sep 2, 2006 10:17 pm

How about the Shoes?
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:11 pm

PC Beat (probably will ask for too much money)
Nerves reunion (probably impossible)
Sneakers reunion (ditto)
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:20 pm

get the Vertebrats
Posted: Sep 9, 2006 12:15 am

UPDATE,

The whole festival is being moved to March.

If you're in one of the bands that are scheduled to play, I've emailed you.

Thanks for your ideas on headliners, working on it.

When everything is confirmed, I'll start a new thread.

Sorry for the confusion.
Posted: Sep 9, 2006 6:52 am

Was this done so 20/20 could still perform?
also work on some Firestarter or Tweezers stuff. HA!
Posted: Sep 9, 2006 7:53 pm

No, unfortunately Ron Flynt's arm won't be healed enough to play for a full year. I'm working on some headliners and will let you know ASAP in a new thread.
Posted: Sep 9, 2006 7:57 pm

Whoa, literally just checked my email.

20/20 IS BACK ON!

Ok, details in a new thread soon...
Posted: Sep 10, 2006 4:57 pm

also work on some Firestarter or Tweezers stuff.

Fuck yeah. And/or Radio Shanghai!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®