Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: May 30, 2006 5:23 pm

So, uh, who wants to go to LA??

http://dontknocktherock.com/index.html
Posted: May 30, 2006 6:57 pm

I'll be there...

I mean a movie about the monks, and the premiere of the gun club movie? I'm there
Posted: May 31, 2006 2:06 am

i'm in one of the films premiering there! (the gun club movie)
also got some pix going up. and pix in the gun club movie.
i'll be there.
Posted: May 31, 2006 2:38 am

I was told that the Monks movie was being released by Rumor from Brooklyn this year. Is this the same thing that they're putting out? I actually talked with the guys from Rumor at the Koch convention and didn't realise they were responsible for this flick until after I talked to them. I need some more info please!!!

I'd look it up myself but I'm going to bed.

Goodnight!
Posted: May 31, 2006 2:47 am

BJ - the folks at Rumur RULE..... however, i know that about 6 years ago, some other williamsburg folks (telegraph) were developing a monks movie and who knows if its the same property? i too am curious but am at a library where most of my access is filtered. i am amazed to be on the goner board. library is closing now.... later gators
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 1:00 am

Whoo hoo!

So, I've just been told that I'm speaking at this thing on the Sunday of the Festival! They're doing a "slide show" of stuff..... its me, Dawn Wirth and Jenny Lens on a panel discussing The Punk Rock

the bands that are playing are pretty amazing. I do hope to see all you LA Goners at this.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 6:10 am

the High and Dry movie sucks shit
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:59 pm

Theresa, do you happen to have a schedule and know when Redd kross is playing? I want to go out for this but have to be in Homoha for a drug test July3. I hope they are not playing July 3!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 6:46 pm

i just got a whole lotta info from allison but not bands dates yet.
i will ask her... or the mcdonalds and get back to ya
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 5:33 pm

wonder if Long Gone John will make his own premiere, he's been in hiding in recent months
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 7:05 pm

this looks good and fun. i wanna know how much it is now?
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 10:46 pm

what other info's you got?
Posted: Jun 5, 2006 1:06 am

i am waiting for 489 emails to finally make an appearance in my outlook (am watching the progress bar... am at 251) because maybe there's one from allison w/ more info.....

spam filters seem not to be working.... i'm not that popular where i get 489 REAL emails. i'm guessing 450 of them are spam
Posted: Jun 5, 2006 7:03 pm

wonder if Long Gone John will make his own premiere, he's been in hiding in recent months
He was at Billy Childish show, I know I've seen him out at least 4 times in the last 2 months
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 6:49 am

i'm sure that anyone who was interested now knows that the Red Kross gig at this fest is sold out.

there's a listing of bands on their website: http://www.dontknocktherock.com

if you want to come make fun of me, cheer me on or give me moral support, i am on a panel hosted by michael des barres and allison anders on sunday july 2 from 2:30 - 3:30 PM. my photos plus those of dawn wirth and jenny lens will be in a slide show - our slide show also opens the festival, as each of us has pictures in the gun club documentary, which is the opening movie.

kid congo, terry graham, ward dotson plus guest vocalists - some of whom will really turn you on - are playing gun club songs after the screening. for those of you who don't know, kid, terry and ward were members of the gun club
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 7:58 am

oh - and i just uncovered one of allison's updates that the punk rock photo discussion panel is FREE

so, i hope to see all you LA goners there. the price is right
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 5:56 pm

I just met Allison at Spaceland. She's awesome! I can't wait for the Fest!

I hear they are doing an encore of Ghost on The Highway on July 3rd.

Our very own Leon Catfish will be joining the remaining member of the Gun Club on stage. Filling in for Jeffrey Lee Pierce.
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 7:17 pm

I hear they are doing an encore of Ghost on The Highway on July 3rd.

YES - they moved it AND the punk photo panel.
so - the punk photo panel featuring me, dawn wirth and jenny lens is now happening on JULY 3 at 2:30 at the redcat FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

come make fun of us! its what goners do best!
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 7:37 pm

come make fun of us! its what goners do best!

I'm gonna take my pants off
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 6:28 pm

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK FILM AND MUSIC FESTIVAL ADDS ENCORE!
The REDCAT
631 W. 2nd Street
LA 90012
213-237-2800

Yes Thursday nights' screening of "Ghost On The Highway" and performance of legendary Gun Club is sold out BUT we have added a second chance for one and all!

Monday July 3rd
8pm "Ghost On The Highway"
10:30PM Gun Club tribute with original members Terry Graham, Ward Dotson and special guests!
http://www.dontknocktherock.com

http://redcat.org/season/0506/mus/knock1.php

THE FILM

Ghost On The Highway: A Portrait Of Jeffrey Lee Pierce And The Gun Club
(Kurt Voss, 2006, 98 minutes)
Ghost On The Highway is a provocative study, which examines and celebrates the late Jeffrey Lee Pierce in all his puckish, shit-stirring glory. The film is a two-fingered salute in honor of Pierces legendary band The Gun Club, one of the most notorious and incendiary in the history of American popular music.

With comprehensive interviews with ex-Gun Club members Kid Congo Powers, Ward Dotson, Terry Graham, Jim Duckworth and Dee Pop, as well as observations and revelations from Pierce intimates such as Dave Alvin (The Blasters), John Doe (X), Henry Rollins (Black Flag; Rollins Band), Mike Martt (Tex and The Horseheads) and Peter Case (The Plimsouls). Ghost delivers new insights into the volatile psyche of bandleader Jeffrey Lee Pierce, who died at age 37 after a life of self-abuse which was, by turns, both riotous and tragic.

Still criminally undervalued, The Gun Club was the first group to fuse punk and blues, thus paving the way for more high profile contemporary acts like The White Stripes. The Gun Clubs music is timeless and Vosss homage to the band he loves is destined to be as ever lasting.the filmmakers

THE FILMMAKERS
Kurt Voss (Director/Producer) is a Gun Club fan since 1981.
Andrew Powell (Producer/Editor/Composer) has been a film/TV composer for 20 years and makes his feature film editing debut with Ghost on the Highway.

THE BAND:

GUN CLUB with Ward Dotson, Terry Graham, and Special Guests
"When I was a girl of age 6 I was often toted along to various shindigs, with your festival founder, Allison Anders, and Ghost on the Highway director Kurt Voss. There was one party in particular that I will never forget. I spotted a very odd looking woman with bleached blonde hair and too much make-up, wearing a plaid skirt. She was all on her lonesome chomping on some party food in the corner. She had a button of what appeared to be a photo of herself on her blazer. The curious and inquisitive child I was, I asked my mother, Why does that woman have a pin of herself on her jacket? My mother answered Honey, thats not a woman, thats Jeffrey Lee Pierce, and the button on his jacket is Debbie Harry. Needless to say, from there on out, I became a huge Jeffrey Lee Pierce and Gun Club fan. DKTR is proud to present this very special once in a lifetime reunion with original members of legendary Los Angeles punk/blues band The Gun Club." ~ Tiffany Anders
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 3:29 am

The Gun Club movie and performance are on Thursday June 29 (tomorrow) - not Monday July 3rd.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 3:48 am

There are TWO screenings of the Gun Club movie and performance.
Monday is an ENCORE

the missive above came from Tiffany Anders - Allison's daughter, and a principal of the Festival... she should know.

Thursday - tomorrow - is the PREMIER. There is an encore... .by popular demand....

so GO!!!!
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 7:35 pm

Gun Club SUCKS!!!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 10:52 am

hardly.

the gun club were amazing
first time that ward & kid played together in the gun club, obviously...

thalia zedek sang jeffrey's part. i was pleasantly surprised.

kristian hoffman did a couple songs too. highly entertaining and uplifting.

the band CAN PLAY NOW and sounded like their records. back in the day, they were not the musicians they are now.

they will be doing an encore performance on monday. GO. you will not be sorry.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 6:30 am

so- who is gonna come make fun of me on monday afternoon?

my event is FREE

monday - july 3 from 2:30 - 3:30
in the redcat lounge (lobby bar)
redcat theatre
631 west 2nd street
corner of hope st
there's parking (its $8 flat for this event i think)

michael des barres and allison anders will be moderating the panel that allison calls

3 women photograpHERS
shooting LA Punk Rock, 1976 - 1983

its me, dawn wirth and jenny lens
there's a slide show of our vintage punk pix

what else are you doin?
did i mention it is FREE
and they have killer air conditioning
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 6:33 am

oh - and i forgot to mention that brent shrewsbury has a short film in this fest too! the program i have doesn't say when it screens, but there are shorts before each of the features
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 6:35 pm

ok....here's the last bit o spam from allison:

After yesterday's mellow Sunday, there is no more rest for the wickedly raccous!

NOON: Today, our last day of the 3rd annual Don't Knock The Rock Film And Music Festival, we start you off with the post punk mad journey that is Dave Markey's "Lovedolls Superstar"! Starring all of the post punk scene-stars: Jeff and Steve McDonald, Jennifer Schwartz, Annette Zilinskas, Jello Biafra, Bangle Vicki Peterson and more...awesome soundtrack!

2:15 Following Markey's film, Criterion Collection presents "Border Radio" by -- hey -- me and Kurt Voss! To be released on DVD by Criterion at the end of the year -- we made this feature in the mid 80s with co-director Dean Lent and peppered our cast with LA punk elite: John Doe, Chris D, Dave Alvin, Texacala Jones and more with an amazing score for first timers Dave Alvin and Steve Berlin, good enough to be ripped off by Oliver Stone for "Wall Street". Also starrring Luanna Anders and Chris Shearer. John Doe's first on screen performance!

here's the shamless self promo!Missed the movie? Head over to the REDCAT nook and join in a discussion of 3 LA women photographers who shot the punk rock era: 1977-1983. These are the women who created the digital photo exhibit you've been enjoying throughout the festival: Jenny Lens, Theresa Kereakes, and Dawn Wirth.

4:30pm Then from post punk madcap to country surreal -- the AMAZING Morgan Neville/Robert Gordon film: "Shakespeare Was A Big George Jones Fan: The Home Movies Of Cowboy Jack Clement" with legendary Sun Records producer songwriter Jack Clement, Johnny Cash, June Carter (as you have never seen them before!) Waylon Jennings and various country legends outlaws and cut-ups! Funny, strange, beautiful, and like no other film I've ever seen! You don't want to miss this! this IS a good one!

And at 8pm: ENCORE GUN CLUB!!

Kurt Voss's "Ghost On The Highway" closes the festival with the same bang it opened us with, followed by another insanely kickass performance by Ward Dotson, Terry Graham and guests! INCLUDING OUR VERY OWN LEON CATFISH!!!!!

http://www.dontknocktherock.com
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®