Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / The Scruffs (70's power pop from memphis) live at Murphy's
Posted: May 25, 2006 5:41 pm

June 3rd, 2006
9 p.m.- til

They're doing a record at Ardent and wanted to play a live show in Memphis, which will be recorded as well.
Posted: May 25, 2006 5:46 pm

WHA!!?!?!?

holeee crap!
Posted: May 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Kool beanzs! Power to the Pop!
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:15 pm

She said yeah!
Posted: May 26, 2006 12:33 am

Whoa.
Posted: May 26, 2006 2:59 pm

Holy shit.
This is exciting.
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 4:08 am

well if zac's excited, i'm excited...............
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 3:45 pm

Looks like I'll be spinning records before and after up there too - maybe eric will join me, even though he thinks most powerpop is laaaaaaaame.

Hope they play 'this thursday' even though it's saturday!

I'm an idiot!!!!
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 4:09 pm

my scruffs record is chiped on the outer edge, so i don't know how the first songs sound on each side. still, looking foward to it.
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 5:00 pm

Me and Joeboy DJed for 'em in London a coupla years ago, and they were superfine! Stephen's almost as loveable an asshole as Chilton!

"I'm forever fighting with Stephen ..."

Ain't that from O Dana off Sister Lovers?
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 5:02 pm

BTW, Zac, most powerpop IS lame! I edited Bucketfull Of Brains for years, and I heard more shit powerpop than anything else! I loves the tope-end stuff like Nerves, Pointed Sticks, first Shoes, primo 20/20 elpee, Plimsouls' debut, etc, tho' ...
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 5:44 pm

Here's hopeing my heart is NOT revealed on that night, however i will consider finding a college girl that night.

most powerpop is dogshit. utter dogshit.
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 8:22 pm

wrong.
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 9:55 pm

most of every genre is utter dogshit.
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 10:25 pm

The lamer the better, I say. I love it wimpy!

Course it wouldn't be much fun if we all liked exactly the same crap, now would it???
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 10:27 pm

a college girl that night.

uh......oh, forget it.
Posted: Jun 1, 2006 11:58 pm

I'm with Zac on this.

I don't suppose this is something Jack Stands and Luke Warm will be recording, and if it is, I don't suppose it's anything I'd ever get to hear anyway.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 12:35 am

C'mon down. You got a place to stay.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 11:31 am

Umm, I think the Guacos may play after these fellers are done. I'm told they are going to start at the very unmidtown time of 9:45, which may or may not be true... So anyway Zac bring your tables, and I'll be there regardless.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 7:14 pm

TONIGHT!
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 7:45 pm

Heard some of the new songs up at Ardent yesterday. Scruffs sounding might fine! It's 1977. Turn up your power booster in your convertible and let's cruise summer ave and get flipped off by the long hairs.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 7:49 pm

I'll be the flipper-offer, since I have th long hair and can do this to anyone on Summer from my back yard.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 8:26 pm

Jack, I say you go for the full "Moon". I will avoid Summer Ave. while you're doing it, however.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 2:44 am

Don't you have a yard to paint green, hippie?
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 3:06 am

yard to paint green, hippie?

Oh, no. Oh no, you didn't sherman. How's the dirt pile in your yard? You can talk about the past. You can talk about the now. But don't you say a fucking word about my lawn, dirt farmer. Yeah, I said it.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 3:08 am

Are you gonna be there tonight? 'Cause I'm bringing the trimmers.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 3:13 am

I wanna meet a scruff. Gotta go take off the t-tops...I could use my summer do. Bring on the week wacker!
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 3:15 am

No, sir. These trimmers are not for the scruff. There for cutting weeds at the root. Wear a codpiece.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 8:36 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Stuck around for three songs. Left to go watch Gringo. Who were better.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 8:41 am

Also came back for tail end of Guacos. Craziness!
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 5:14 pm

Zac, any chance of getting Scruffs contact info?
Posted: Jun 5, 2006 3:53 pm

Hey mike - I can try... Stephen Burns lives in Scotland I think - which is where the rest of the band is from now.

In other news, the show was great! They didn't play THIS THURSDAY but they played 5 or 6 from the first LP - encore was an uncomfortably good version of Teenage Girls... and most of the more recent stuff sounded rockin jangletastic...

also: 3 free CDs for everyone who paid to get in!
Posted: Jun 5, 2006 4:30 pm

Anybody know if they plan to tour, maybe once that new record is done?
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 7:13 am

i'm so sad that I didn't make it back to memphis in time for this. I wonder if it will ever happen again. it would have been the perfect "first show back in memphis" for me
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 11:11 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

I hung out with the scottish scruffs last night - they are hoping to be back before Christmas. In other news, Simon's other band is also a blast from the past - The Proclaimers!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®