Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / The final, confirmed, official line up for the Pho Hoa Show on Friday Febuary 24--w/Eric O's DO
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 6:32 pm

upcoming Phoa Hoa Binh ROCK ! on Friday Febuary 24 2006

Dead City

DOOT

Datadrums

Black Sunday

Thanks be to all for participating !
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 10:05 pm

woh

i cannot wait.

!
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 10:19 pm

feb is pretty good month for memphis....
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 4:35 am | Edited by: eric o

we are now called SONS OF THUNDER.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 4:41 am

how did practice go?
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 4:42 am

Great - I will put the changes on a new flyer ! ! ! Who else is playing in Sons of Thunder?
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 4:19 pm

ME, SAMBEAUX, JOE T,
AND RICHARD FUCKING MARTIN ON BANJITAR & VOCALS

SONS OF THUNDER!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 4:19 pm

(it's biblical)
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:00 pm

8 words for you:
Killer herb grown on the third ring of Saturn
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 8:13 pm

ICE TORNADO!
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 3:27 am

Posted: Feb 18, 2006 3:29 am

i think i'm gonna come down for this.

who's dead city?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 3:58 am

Joy Division tribute band?

Or Exploited tribute band?
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 7:35 pm

motel Calpfornia
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 7:37 pm

drunk ass so-mma-bitch!
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 4:32 am

The line up has changed slightly once again:Dead City has cancelled soo..

Sons of Thunder
Kazalok
Datadrums
BlackSunday

Feb 24 2006 - Pho Hoa Binh 10pm
Thanks to Bennett and Cole for filling in with Kazalok
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 4:10 pm

i finally get to see kazalok! let the autoharp mania begin!

sons of thunder may be drummer-ful, now, too. watch out.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 8:00 pm | Edited by: chuckvicious

Posted: Feb 20, 2006 8:09 pm

it just keeps getting better
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 9:16 pm

what happened to doot???
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 1:19 am

we added too many people. I wanted Doot to be a two-piece.

And Richard "Fucking" Martin missed practice, went home, started jamming along to Atomic Rooster, came back to practice, made us cover Atomic Rooster, and proclaimed us "SONS OF THUNDER." Sounded good to me.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:24 am

too much time on my hands!

10:00 - sons of thunder @ pho hoa binh
10:30 - jormungandr @ murphy's
11:00 - black sunday @ pho hoa binh, willmatic @ murphy's
12:00 - kazalok @ pho hoa binh
12:30 - JOCK @ murphy's
1:00 - DATA DRUMS @ pho hoa binh
1:30 - ROYAL PENDELTONS?? @ murphy's

with kinks worked out, this would be amazing!
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:04 am

AND RICHARD FUCKING MARTIN ON BANJITAR & VOCALS

I can't believe it! You ganked our banjitarist!
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:30 am | Edited by: chuckvicious

---- this thread is not for promoting murphy's ---
There is no point in adding more bane to the organization of
this show.

It is for promoting
Sons of Thunder and the bands alligned with that show such as
Kazalok,
Black Sunday, and
Datadrums.

@ Pho Hoa Binh
Friday Febuary 24
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:47 am

fuck, richard needs to play in EVERY band!

he ganked up the joint for real, dude.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:51 am

chuck,
I honestly meant to post that message on the other thread about these shows, but I haven't been able to delete this to repost it there for some reason

FUCK MURPHY'S
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:21 am

fuck, richard needs to play in EVERY band!

All right, I can get behind that sentiment.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:23 am

he ganked up the joint for real, dude.

Man there's this thing he does. Man, you just gotta hear it. Just ask him to do that thing. He'll know what you're talking about. Or maybe he won't, but I bet he'll make something up.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:12 am

THIS SEGMENT OF THE THREAD IS FOR PROMOTING SHOWS AT PIGGLY WIGGLY, UNNAMED IRISH BARS, AND VIETNAMESE BUFFETS

new lineup
10:00 sons of thunder @ pho
10:30 jormungandr @ irish bar
11:00 black sunday @ pho, will @ irish bar
12:00 kazalok @pho
12:30 jock @ irish bar
1:00 datadrums @ pho, oscars minus chuck @ piggly wiggly parking lot
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:33 am

Sam, I thought you said you were going to be the door guy at my show and make $25-$50?

The door guy at

Pho Hoa Binh
Friday Febuary 24

Kazalok
Datadrums
Black Sunday
Sons of Thunder

w
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:13 pm

how can i do that if i'm the door guy at an unnamed irish bar. i guess i could stand on avalon and charge people to walk across the street.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:56 pm

Chuck and Sam need to take their show on the road! maybe vaudeville will make a comeback???
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 12:01 am

I cannot say that I do not disagree with you, andria.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 12:44 am

i can say that i'm not going anywhere with chuck
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:30 am

that's what I said !
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:25 am

no it's not
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 6:11 am

Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:31 pm

you oscars
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 12:02 am

I'm playing at this show, I think, and I don't even know who's playing anymore.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 1:18 am

welcome to the goner board jackson
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:59 am

Thanks! I've actually previously been posting under the "ActionJacksonJr" handle, but realized

there can be only one.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:59 am

attn: Sons Of Thunder collectors: we will have cdrs for sale...
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:36 am

I thought the Preacher's Kids were playing at Murphy's.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 1:42 pm

are these the official times Chuckie?

new lineup
10:00 sons of thunder @ pho
10:30 jormungandr @ irish bar
11:00 black sunday @ pho, will @ irish bar
12:00 kazalok @pho
12:30 jock @ irish bar
1:00 datadrums @ pho, oscars minus chuck @ piggly wiggly parking lot
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Black Sunday - FRIDAY at Pho Hoa Bin
Pho Hoa Bin
Friday Febuary 24

something like this...
10:00 Sons of Thunder
10:45 Kazalok
11:30 Datadrums
12:15 Black Sunday
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:16 pm

Well you can't really predict the future. I didn't set any times for anything but I think that those times are a good vision. But honestly, I really don't ever know exactly what is going to happen, ever . If that was an actual schedule that you posted that people will follow and be on time then i would be emancipated from my fear of insecurity. Insecurity from all of the doubtful things in this life. That simply is too much for the world to present. Instability is my crutch. I am prepared to walk threw life limping, but yet
I will be aware that there are those who can move freely in life without support, but they could also be late to the show even if they run. It's not the distance of travel, but when you plan to leave. Some people never leave themselves and never get where they are going. If everyone will just remember, Pho Hoa Binh is life. And there is nothing else. There shall be no other event in life besides living. You will be born when the Sons of Thunder dawn upon the stage we call life and rock you like the storms with lighting and hammers. The sacred goat of love will ram you over and over one Kaz at a time as you grow and transcend into energy. Then the beat of the love you experienced will be recorded onto the stars--each point in the sky represents a bit of data for the songs of death that supersede you into the last dark day of your death, the final black Sunday before my only begotten son's Resurrection and rebirth. Then all doubt of my omnipotence will be filtered and you will all follow me and my disciples around 10 or 10 thirty this night.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 6:22 pm

if by that, you mean that you might need some extra time to get the VIP area ready, by all means, open doors whenever everything is set.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:55 pm

are we really playing in the parking lot? im off work 10ish!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:11 pm

only if we get 3 percent of the door & timpuri spring rolls we play for nothing less. & my own dressing room damnit.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:13 pm

theyll never agree to those terms...we are talking about the oscars right? fuck all yall. ill be at neils!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Hey, chuck, didn't you post the video flyer on here?

http://www.datadrums.com/phocom2.wmv

...this reminds me of a Styx song..."Too much time on my hands..."
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:18 pm

don't break up the band scott,this is our triumphant comeback.OSCARS RISE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:36 pm

GOD IS GREAT!!

PRAISE OSCARS!!

OSCARS WILLING, THIS SHOW SHALL BE GLORIOUS!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:40 pm

chucks sythtar will sound better than ever WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:54 pm

oscars lineup: sam "synthtar" scott "hubcap" abe "buckets" WATCH OUT WORLD CAUSE THE OSCARS ARE ON TOP OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:12 pm

comeback??? i thought we had just decided to share the limelight for a little while. its hard out there for up-and-coming pimps.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:24 pm

i just found out the madison/avalon entertainment commission is building a wall around piggly wiggly's parking lot and renaming it the kraft foods pavilion....so no more free shows, oscars have been cancelled
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 12:37 am

true dat, all you suckas hold your jimmies bitch ass acorn head ass niggas.sho hate to flodge on yo triflin asses see yo hungry hippo lookin selfs on tha flip,cream of wheat smokin crackas.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 1:26 am

I talked to Tyler. The Preacher's Kids are planning on playing. Were they bumped and not informed?
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 1:50 am

they're playing at murphys......they're on the flyer
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 2:43 am

tonight there will be thunder on Madison Avenue,oh yeah!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 7:43 am

This was the greatest tour, ever.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 4:59 pm

the sons of thunder loot and plunder kinda redunder makes you wonder.oh yeah we were the loudest the loudest.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 5:02 pm

where's the link to download the sons of thunder set directly into my mind?

full report requested.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:22 pm

I want to rent out Pho Hoa Binhs light show for all of our shows.

There was yet another encore in my bathroom around 4 in the morning. I had to sleep on the couch so I didn't barf of the baby.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:41 pm

Did you puke on Miss Linda's wig? Wouldn't be the first time.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 10:32 pm

funfunfun..dancin' drinkin' eatin' eggrolls & all the rocknroll you could take..let's do this again soon. Spring is comin' & I loved the outdoorsy touch that comes with trekkin' back & forth. Light show & space at the restaurant was nice too.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 11:07 pm

Full report? Stuff that legends are made of, my friends. Truly the substance that renders the dreams, despairs, and epiphonies of a VH1 "Behind the Music" or great ABC After School Special.

This "Madison and Avalon World Tour" of the Sons of Thunder began it's inaugural flight to greatness at a prompt 10:30. Unfortunately, this reporter can't claim to be one of the original fans from back in the old days, because I got there at about 10:45. This didn't stop me later, however from bragging to some folks who got there after me "Yeah, they were really great when you saw 'em, but you should have heard them at 11:00."
Loud and truly thunderous, the arrangements summoned up and tested the skillz each member to fill a musical skeleton with the meat of improv. Richard Martin, a veritable McGyver of music instruments, electronics, and contraptions, passively lead the supergroup on vocals and Banjitar. The drummer was excellent, and I heard he was found and picked up for the band in swaddling cloth at Yarbourough's Music Drum Dept., "kicking out some sweet Metallica fills" between the hours of 2-6 everyday. Joe T, of Rat Traps and "outjjumps kangaroos" fame, accompanied on guitar, and seemed to know how the songs went. Sam (who is taking a break from trying to re-form Hanoi Rocks and studio work with Mangina) took an active role in orchestrating the overall sound and time of the songs on bass wearing a white, puffy, long-sleeved shirt that couldn't seem to hide the pain and suffering inside. Also, some guy named Eric (who was in some band from the nineties, apparently, and had a minor hit in Nepal from his solo recording "Anybody Seen My Neighbor's Goat?") played some guitar and sang some.
These masters of music railed and reigned Pho Hoa Bin amid freshly rolled eggrolls, against a back drop of psychedelic lights and green laser beams. This wave of heavy and loud would have almost made me pass out, but I got distracted with my beer and contmplated looking directly at the laser beams for free eye surgery. It sounded like Capt. Beefheart sat in with Blue Oyster Cult in their darkest moments. The sonic onslaught culminated in a dizzying finish that I can tell you knocked everyone in the room to the floor, cowering, but I think I just made that up.
After the set, equipment was moved to cars, where I had an opportunity to talk to the band. They were huddled together in High-Five mode, and I congratulated them on a stellar performance. In unison, they all said "Of course it was, moron" and looked at the night sky. Then that Eric guy gave me the very last promotional CD, hand-crafted in magic marker "The Sons of Thunder". My thoughts immediately went to E-bay. I stepped back a bit, just to observe, and witnessed the gruesome details of "the break-up". Eric and Sam were having words. One thing led to another and eventually, before blows were bestowed, Eric shouted "That's it, Sam! You're out of the band!" I shed a tear. And by tear, I mean I went inside and plopped down another $2.50 for a beer and 50 cent tip.
Kazalok was pretty amazing. I confess, I don't think I have ever seen an electric autoharp. The Tambourene Girl and Drummer banged out a beat for the really tall, really skinny guitar player to undress to.
When their set was over, someone played the Macarena. And someone else turned it up really loud. And that's where I found Sam outside. He had been drinking. I pointed this out to him with my fourth beer bottle. He reminisced about the old days, that he was happier now to be living a domesticated life, he didn't miss the rock and roll lifestyle or being a Son of Thunder, and something else, but I had already walked away from him while he was still talking. As if, loser.
I only got to see the first three or four songs by Datadrums. I would have liked to hear Chuck's guitar and vocals a little louder, but I must say, I was genuinely impressed by some of their songs complexities. Bass player and Keyboardist were running circles around each other, and Chucks chords were furious and fast, but I couldn't hear him as well for some reason.
I went out side, and Sam was still talking. Yadda, yadda, yadda, maybe we'll do it again someday, yadda, yadda, I miss those guys, yadda, yadda...
And then, as if by some magic, Joe T came walking briskly past with equipment. "C'mon, man, we're playing Murphys!"
Wha? Could this be true? A reunion show?
Sam was stil talking, but I had already crossed the street to invesitgate. Indeed. It was on, and $5.00 was given to the doorman. I wandered in and out of the pub, speaking to old friends about the Sons of Thunder in their glory days. No one could believe this was happening. It was like "The Lizard King" had come back from the grave, and he wasn't event fat. Excitement filled the air. And by excitement, I mean more beer had been opened.
I was talking over the concept of a Sitar/mandolin band (sort of a East meets East Tennessee project) with Hemant when they took the stage. I commented to Hemant "Man, look at Sam. His hair is so white and long. Has it really been this long? So sad." Hemant informed me it was Miss Linda's wig. "Oh." I said.
This show was backed with rocking and improv as well, but with some strange new element. It was as if some songs were out of tune or out of time, and a few miscues were beset. I believe this is called "Jazz", though, and my music snob friends and I recognize "syncopation" when we hear it.
It went on and on and on, until they finished with the Sons of Thunder theme song. This rousing number had everyone on their feet (because some were leaving), and every person sang loudly to the chorus "SONS OF THUNDER!!!" And by everyone, I mean I drunkenly ran over to the microphone and yelled into it at the wrong part.

Truly, last night will live forever in the anals of Memphis Music History.

Memphis Flyer, you may feel free to re-print this excellent Rock n' Roll review.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:05 am

Those eggrolls were hot.

I thought Kazalok was great! And the Preachers Kids were probably the best I had ever seen them.

Missed the wig.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 4:40 am

DEATH ROCKS BEHIND YOU!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 12:17 am

some kind of THUNDER!!!!!!! LET IT RAIN, LET IT POUR, LET IT THUNDER...OH YES LET IT THUNDER!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 1:10 am

Jack, you've missed your calling.
That was really entertaining...and I wasn't even there!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®