Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / Coming to Memphis for Oblivions show ..need help!!
CHIPPP
Posted: Oct 16, 2003 11:33 pm

Where should I stay? What hotels around there? Where should I go other than HiTone? Thanks guys! Coming from Kansas City by the way.
Alex C
Posted: Oct 16, 2003 11:49 pm

A bunch of people are staying at the Red Roof Inn. I booked into the downtown one. I've never been to Memphis before so I can't help you on the rest.
Anna Rexia
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 12:38 am

For a truly cultural experience try the Elvis Presley Blvd Inn on Elvis Presley Blvd.
CAL
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 5:49 am

Speaking of, what's the deal with purchasing Booze in Memphis?
Scott
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 11:09 am

You give them money. They give you booze. Where the fuck are you from?
BB King
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 1:13 pm

There is an Adams Mark that is pretty close to the hightone check it out in the phone book-Also the Ramada near the airport isn't bad,
CAL
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 6:52 pm

Hey man in Canada it's complicated. You've got to go to the special place, and only on special days.
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 8:20 pm

i don't think there is an adams mark very close to the hi-tone at all. the ramada at the airport might be cheap, but that's a fifteen or twenty minute drunken drive when it's time to go home, and nobody's gonna wanna give you a lift that way. there's a ramada on mclean and union that's not great but very close, that's where i usually have people stay. as far as liquor buying goes, you can buy liquor until 12:00 midnight and beer till 3:00 in stores. legal selling starts at 7:00 a.m. except on sunday's when it starts at 12:00p.m. and no liquor stores are open on sundays. liquor is sold separately from beer and mixers, but there is usually a convenience store attached to every liquor store, thereby making that stupid law moot. the cheapest place to buy beer is at the rite aid on union just west of mclean. good selection, good prices. if you stay at the ramada on mclean you could walk there, and you would be about two minutes from the hi-tone. without green's lounge anymore there's very little reason to hang out anywhere near the airport. end transmission.
eric o
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 9:51 pm

change liquor closing time to eleven, and ol' pinkie's tranny mission is correct.
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 11:48 pm

i thought midnight on weekends, but could be wrong. since moving to this town i've learned to kep liqour around the house so i don't have to push my luck with sundays and early mornings.
BigScottRogers
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 2:49 am

I like to eat Canadians.
CAL
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 5:06 am

No different than the current fascist booze restrictions I live under.
CHIPPP
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 8:41 pm

Thanks everyone who actually tried answering me. I heard that Red Roof Inn is like right across the street so I may check that out. Is East Memphis yuppieville or not? Is downtown, mid-town, west, east, etc. the place to go out? I'm looking for bars, parties, etc that have good live music(ie..garage rock), good juke box, cheep beer. What other bars are cool in Memphis? Is Beale street a good place to go? Thanks all..and hope to see you all at the show.
moody prick
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 10:03 pm

allow me...
Kreature Comforts!
If you're in a hurry, follow the convenient link to the Shangri La Records website-last time I looked they had a downloadable version available.
moody prick
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 10:06 pm

well that didn't seem to work...at any rate-click on Memphis Tips at the Goner "welcome" page
(http://www.goner-records.com/index/memphis/memphis.html)
uleeshuh
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 10:11 pm

depending on when you are getting in town there are parties/shows the whole weekend. Red Roof in is downtown but on the edge of midtown, you can't really walk to the Hi-Tone easily, but you could do it, you do not want to stay in east memphis if you don't want to drive far and have no where fun to walk to, but I don't think there are any hotels in Midtown, which is where the show is and the parties, hot dog cookouts, etc.
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 10:26 pm

ok. i don't know if memphis maps are just unclear, but neither the red roof inn nor the adams mark are anywhere near the hi-tone as far as i know. list of hotels that are reasonably close should go a little like this

Ramada on 1837 Union
French Quarter Suites 2144 Madison
Hampton Inn Medical Center 1180 Union
Villager Lodge Midtown/Med Center 1220 Union

Out of these i much more reccomend the ramada and the quarter because they are much closer and less shady. as mentioned earlier you can have quite a cultural experience at-
Days Inn Graceland 3839 Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley's Heartbreak Hotel 3677 Elvis Presley Blvd.
However this is not necessarily recommended either, and these are not very close. For anyone with a little extra cash to blow you can go bigtime at the Madison Hotel 79 Madison Ave. It's really nice, but very pricey. But cool because it's not some chain.
Here's an incomplete list of some bars to hit:

Lamplighter on madison
Two-way on cooper
Young Ave. Deli on young (for pool)
Murphy's on madison(for slummin)
And late night maybe someone will take you to wild bill's for some good blues. but the weekend is pretty chock full of stuff to do Here's the schedule:
Starting at six at Murphy's-
Hot dog cookout with
Double Fantasy (White Stripes cover band)
The Rats- (Moto cover band)
Ultra Cats

Of course that night is the oblivians

Saturday:
5-ish at Legba records on Young Ave.-
King Louie One Man Band

starting probaly around 10:00 or 10:30 at the Hi-Tone-
Viva los i'm not really sure deathray
Final Solutions
Lost Sounds

and for those who hang around sunday, you can come over to zinnie's east and the lamplighter and watch The Penetrators destroy some poor team in wiffleball. can't remember what time, just ask zac or justice sometime during the weekend.

Don't go to beale street. it's not even funny on the weekends anymore.

dangerouspinkie
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 10:28 pm

yeah i guess the red roof is sort of close, i'm just spoiled because i never have to drive very far to get to anything. Midtown is like that.
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Oct 18, 2003 10:29 pm

and the red roof is probably cheaper. if a lot of people stay there you can probably hitch a ride pretty easy, even from somebody who's not staying there.
uleeshuh
Posted: Oct 19, 2003 3:12 am

...and that's the run-down...
CHIPPP
Posted: Oct 19, 2003 3:20 am

Wow!! thanks pinki..and everyone else! Great info! I cant wait...maybe I'll get a chance to meet some of you. Never been to Memphis and am really looking forward to the roadtrip. Will get there thur and leave sunday so all that info wil really help me. thanks again!!
jarthur
Posted: Oct 19, 2003 5:04 am

J-WAGS!
THEFLYINGDUTCHMAN
Posted: Oct 19, 2003 5:23 am

I LIKE EATING BIGSCOTTROGERS!
uleeshuh
Posted: Oct 19, 2003 6:16 am

Kiki and Dem Cousinz?
suzy bravo
Posted: Oct 19, 2003 9:58 pm

My Satantonio,Tejas posse will be swingin' up for the show too. This thread has been very helpful and I didn't even have to do the askin'. Can't wait to start that weekend of rock-n-roll honky tonkin', whiskey drinkin', and good ol'fashion sweet lovin'! Thanks! Woo! Soooeey! yours truly, soul sista suzy
shag
Posted: Oct 20, 2003 5:42 pm

j.arthur, you've been gone too long man. j wags is out and pipeline is in.
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Oct 20, 2003 6:15 pm

the pipeline is no longer the pipeline. it's now called the pumping station just in case the pipeline was too subtle.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®