Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
CS Eunuch
Posted: Oct 16, 2003 10:49 pm

This just in...

Iggy & The Stooges have been added to the Voodoo Music Experience lineup in New Orleans Halloween weekend, after the Donnas cancelled. They will play Saturday November 1.

NEW ORLEANS, LA: Rehage Entertainment, Inc. is pleased to announce Iggy
& The Stooges have joined the 5th Annual Voodoo Music* Experience
line-up this Halloween in New Orleans. Join these rock 'n' roll legends
as they take the Voodoo stage on Saturday, November 1, and show fans why
they have transcended for more than four decades.

A true elder statesman of rock 'n' roll, legendary Iggy Pop began his
musical career in the 60's and has survived the '70s, '80s, '90s and
beyond. It is not enough that his early days in The Stooges virtually
single-handedly godfathered punk rock, garage rock and American heavy
metal more than three decades ago, or that Iggy Pop went on to conquer
Europe and the far East as a headlining phenomenon in the '90s. Even
today, Iggy Pop's energy, nerve, and charisma allow him to fill stadiums
around the world and indicates that the specter of Iggy Pop is a far
more universal force in rock than many suspect.
The reunion of original founding Stooges members Iggy Pop, and brothers
Ron Asheton (guitar and bass) and Scott Asheton (drums) is celebrated
with four newly recorded tracks on Skull Ring, Iggy's seventh album on
Virgin Records. Although Skull Ring features fresh collaborations with
mega-platinum hitmakers Green Day ("Private Hell," "Supermarket") and
Canadian punk-pop hipsters Sum 41 ("Little Know It All," the first
single from the new album), the majority of the new tracks were recorded
with Iggy's hard-working band the Trolls.
Rehage Entertainment, Inc. has also just announced the cancellation of
The Donnas. The all-female teenage garage rock band has cancelled its
fall tour as a result of the drummer's injured wrist.
One-day tickets are available through Ticketmaster. Please call
504-522-5555, 1-800-488-5252, or visit any New Orleans Ticketmaster
location. Three-day tickets are on sale for $80 and can be purchased
online at www.voodoomusicfest.com
omusicfest.com> , or by phone at 1-800-594-8499.

Sponsors for the 2003 Voodoo Music* Experience (Oct 31-Nov 2) are Fuse,
PlayStationR 2, Southern Comfort, Rollingstone.com, Miller Brewing
Company, SoBe, Spin Magazine, Vibe Magazine, KKND, Sheraton New Orleans,
Heavy.com, Fila, Slim Jim, 105.3 The Zone and B97, US Army, Offbeat
Magazine, Nola.com & Where Y'at Magazine. Voodoo Music* Experience was
created and is produced by Rehage Entertainment, Inc., a New York/New
Orleans-based management, marketing and productions company specializing
in the creation and development of entertainment properties. Official
Voodoo website: www.voodoomusicfest.com

For more information on the Voodoo Music Experience contact: Tara
Murphy - 360 Media - 404-577-8686 or info@360media.net

Goubler
Posted: Oct 16, 2003 11:07 pm

I can tell you that THE STOOGES means NOTHING to 99.9 percent of New Orleans, outside of a few old punks; they're just gonna have the frat-boys there to see BETTER THEN NAMBLA scratchin' their heads about who these old guys are.
xAIRBUDx
Posted: Oct 16, 2003 11:46 pm

Luckily, I'll be 6 hours away.
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 1:36 am

Now why couldn't the stooges got back together and playes back when I was living in New Orleans?

Mike Watt on bass will probably bring in The Black Problem contingent...

Also funny:Sum 41 being called "Hipsters",that's as funny as the Donnas still being callled a "Garage" band...who wrote this press release,Keith Spera?

Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 2:03 am

A little extra info:

Black Problem = Great lost NOLA band that had hardcore Minutemen fans as memebers.They opened for firehose in 89 and Watt liked 'em!

Keith Spera = Notorious out-of-step NOLA Rock "critic" that is probably the only Rockwriter still stuck in 1988 Top 40ville that's not being ironic! He probably slashed his wrists when Extreme broke up!

authentic metal face
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 2:59 am

p---u---
hopefully the oblivions won't do anything as stupid as playing with "hipsters" unless of course it's airbud and martel.
i got free tix to that nola shit but guess what i'll be at a real reunion the one in memphis. anyone want'em
Goubler
Posted: Oct 17, 2003 11:59 pm

i remember when watt stayed at the black problem compound around then; you woulda thought Jesus Chirt dropped by and had wine coming out the kitchen tap.
I remember when Spera had to cover the NO-FI release;he treated it like a nuclear waste dump that he had to expose.
The Chicago music writers piss me off, too, but in a different way.
shag
Posted: Oct 20, 2003 6:04 pm

bands like nipples of issis or dang bruh why? would get all this press. i mean if the singer took a shit they'd write about it. shows were soo fucked up back then, especially at rc bridge lounge where you would rather stand outside and risk getting shot than be tortured by the opening 'act' which was some funk/rock band from kenner opening for the dwarves.
Ijuvenile74
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 7:05 pm

I just saw the Stooges when they recently played NY, and they were fucking fantastic. With the exception of playing 'I wanna Be Your Dog" twice, and one new piece of shit, it was definately one of the best shows I have seen to date. Anyhow, if you get the chance, definately try to check them out. Speaking of oldsters, does anyone have any word on the Pagans shows that recently happened? I heard they suck now.....Yes? No?
nickg
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 7:56 pm

while i am going to see the oblivians and not the stooges, and have never seen the stooges yet, i would not ever say the stooges isn't a real "reunion" or whatever. guh?
xAIRBUDx
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 8:36 pm

The last "Pagans" show that happened was in New Orleans without Mike Hudson. Mike Metoff and Robert Conn sang and it was still great.

There was talk of a tour with Hudson and a trip back to N.O. for another small show, but that's up in the air...way up in the air.

I couldn't imagine any of those guys playing those songs sucking.

creepydrifter
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 9:01 pm

as far as history lessons go, i think i'll stick with civil war reenacting. at least you can get salt pork and johnny cakes and talk in that funny coloquial way.
Ijuvenile74
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 10:34 pm

Yeah, I thought the same thing---very hard for the Pagans to suck. The person I heard it from is quite a bit older and has seen all of the aforementioned bands in the heyday. So, I figured it must just be that he is jaded. When i told him the Stooges gig was one of the best shows I had ever seen,(he was there too), he's like, "yeah, it was decent. But then again, me and my brother hitchhiked to Boston to see the Stooges and the Ramones opened for 'em in the 70's." I was like, "yeah.....whatever!" You get the point.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 10:42 pm

Yeah the two best shoes I've ever seen were The Ramones and The Mescaleros with Joe Strummer.....and it's not even like they weren't all old and tired and crap...it's just that you got an impression of what things must of used to have been like...and it'll blow you away....

I can understand why old timers must be jaded, I just don't understand why I'm not less jaded than I am.

Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Oct 24, 2003 2:14 am

Yeah,i bet those Rn'R oldtimers aren't nearly as jaded as someone that fought in the Civil War!
scumpuke
Posted: Oct 24, 2003 8:46 am

i heard Iggy has some problems and he won't be walkin much pretty soon. a friend said he has to take some shots to help him with the pain every show. thats just what i heard but i'd try to make the show if you can. Ron Ashton is the man.
journeyfan007
Posted: Oct 24, 2003 9:00 am

Iggy taking shots of pain medication before every show?
Now that's just fucked up.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®