Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Another Memphis Venue - Would you support it?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 4:46 pm

So... if Ernestine and Hazel's tried to create another venue for local, regional, and maybe some mid-level/quasi national acts... in their back bar area... would you support it?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:08 pm | Edited by: Windy

Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:09 pm

oops.
Joanna
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:23 pm

I probably would, but it would depend on the bands E&H books. It's gonna be tough to get people to leave the convenience of Midtown and the comfort of The Buc, though.

(Hey there Windy.)
Joanna
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:25 pm

Any idea what's going to happen the the Two Way Inn building?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:38 pm

i'm betting it's getting razed and a more profitable structure will be built on that space...
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:45 pm

i'm betting it's getting razed and a more profitable structure will be built on that space...

i'll take that bet.
Joanna
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 7:28 pm

Major fucking bummer. I hope your wrong Eric.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 7:35 pm

I agree with joanna; it would have to be a show I would enjoy with minimal adult beverages, so I could drive home.

Last time i went to a show there it was fun, but there was something crazy about the sound (it was in the "back part", might have been the tearjerkers???) I can't remember if it was bad or if those brick walls made it entirely too loud? I have seen shows in the front bar/grill area that were good (didn't the White Stripes play there?). I like the guy who owns that place, he is crazy.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:41 pm

South End worked for shows for a while, don't know how big the crowds were.

It's a tough call- i think folks would go to the shows of the "regular" midtowny kinda bands, but if you're depending on out-easters, who knows.

that said, barristers downtown didn't have too much problem getting folks out for jets to brazil, squirrel nut zippers, etc shows.

if the crowd is there, they will come. but last place on earth, for example, had a hard time getting people to consistently show up.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:46 pm

in their back bar area

but there was something crazy about the sound (it was in the "back part", might have been the tearjerkers???) I can't remember if it was bad or if those brick walls made it entirely too loud?

They would seriously have to work something out with the accoustics in there. When we played there, the sound was almost unbearable. Wouldn't play there/see a show there again without some work done on the room.

The front room is great though!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:18 pm

Does E&H still have a douchebag problem? fratboys trying to pick fights kind of ruins a good show
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:28 pm

Memphis needs a new venue in New Spain!

I mean, Berclair...
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:48 pm

I mean, Berclair...

You know, actually, I've been thinking alot about that area on Broad (west of the railroad tracks, east of East Pkwy). I'd love to set up a bar or studio or something over there.

Attn: Venture capitalists

I'd like some money to work on something I'm only half-way decisive about, and clueless as far as an overall business plan. E-mail me!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:04 pm

would you support it?
If the owner would chill out a little. Not bitching like it seems. I love E&H...cool place...cool history...best jukebox in town, but dude needs to relax. Every time I've played records there he gives me slack about not bringing my own table. He claims the tables are for customers only. Well, I've never even gotten a discount on a drink when I was DJing there, so officially I was a paying customer. Even when the White Stripes played there and he removed all the tables from the room he still bitched about it. The last time it happened he said he didn't have a table for us so we asked what he wanted us to do. He finnally got pissed off and took us in the back to a room full of tables and let us have one.
On another note I think this would be cool, but I think some of the mid-town folks wouldn't want to drive back from downtown drunk.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:12 pm

I think some of the mid-town folks wouldn't want to drive back from downtown drunk.

Wow have some things changed.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:41 pm

Broad Street could be a very cool little strip. I think they're developing the south side of sam cooper (maybe a mini-mall? looks like a prison right now, so probably), but any reason for people to stay in the area would be great.

right now you've got beer joint, broadway pizza, stage lighting south, a liquor store, and hollywood pet star.... and warehouses.

the wrecked-em boss lives down the street, he might be interested in some kinda venue.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:43 pm

I think its supposed to be an elementary school.... so prison was a good guess
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 12:34 am

if the crowd is there, they will come. but last place on earth, for example, had a hard time getting people to consistently show up.

That might have somthing to do with the sound sucking.
The place was/is so huge that it would have been hard to improve under the best of circumstances. But I never a great amount of effort, anyway. Maybe I didn't go there enough. Whoops, back to square one.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:18 am | Edited by: Uptight White

I'll preface this by saying I rarely go out, and only spend about a week per month in Memphis. Murphy's, Young Ave. Deli, Buccaneer, and Hi Tone seem to fill the bill. A downtown venue would be a cool addition, but everything revolves around Midtown band scene anyway. At least for the good bands.

A better idea would be for have bars that already have a crowd and a stage book some of the awesome local bands on slow nights.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 2:55 pm

Where's a good place to buy posters of artists such as:
Big Star, Johnny Cash, Otis Redding, Booker T, Mud Boy and the Neutron's, etc.

Anyone know a local shop that would have this kind of stuff?
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 4:19 pm

tater reds on beale?

seriously... or mebbe spin street, i don't know.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 7:29 pm

Thing is about the last place on earth, is that it is now Stop 345 and is one of the best rooms in town, although the music selections are stale at best. i can't seem to remember how it used to be right now, but the fact is that room sounds amazing! hey the stage is in the center of the wall not the corner! what a fucking concept! we'll be booking a show down there soon, so hopefully we can pull some folks because the room is big. but it sure would be cool if we could further that venue for mid level acts so we don't have to count on the deli or the hi tone for everything, especially since the deli sounds so bad and is booking less bands now.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 1:05 pm

Will the whores be back?
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 1:09 pm

...and I don't know if you and I went to the same Last Place on Earth, but when it was THAT venue, before the tables and chairs and Stop 345 makeover, it was by far the WORST sounding venue in town. It was bands playing in a gymnasium to no one, and it had that back pool room area (now the bar) that further fucked up the sound. Unless you could draw over 100 people, the sound was insufferable.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 4:08 pm

The only good show there that I ever went to was The Low Down Dirty Dogs and there were at least 100 people there.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 6:09 pm

The only good show there that I ever went to was The Low Down Dirty Dogs

Memorable good LAST PLACE shows:

Sonic Youth
Don Cab
The Shipping News
Dillinger Escape Plan
The Shins/Black Heart Procession/not so Modest Mouse
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 7:59 pm | Edited by: J Cutler

I caught one of the better, if not the best, GBV show I've seen at LPOE.
And those last couple of Grifters shows were a blast. Or I might have been completely out of my head on dope and grain alcohol... But yeah, the room was packed, which helped the sound tremendously. I saw the Glands play to about eleven people one night and it sounded pretty cruddy.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 8:35 pm

I didn't mean the lpoe sounded good, i am saying that it sounds good now. i say some great shows there though

Melt banana/rusty nailz
early screening of crouching tiger hidden dragon
and
BAD BRAINS!!

to name a few.

and it seems a little smaller in the band area now, maybe that's just me. but whatever they've done (beefed up the sound, changed the room. . .) it is perfect for a medium sized show even. haven't check out the bartending situation, but it can't be any harder to get a drink there than it is at the deli or the hi tone. i'm starting to wonder if those venues even want to sell a drink.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 10:05 pm

Good call DP. It's plain ridiculous at the Deli.
There's no reason it should take a damn half hour to get a drink at the bar if it's not absolutely packed.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 10:05 pm

OR even if it is, really.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 6:27 am

Try leaving a tip. Our bartenders are lucky to get any sort of paycheck. They need all the motivation they can get.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 8:50 am

Murphy's is still a great place to see live music and has been overlooked a bit lately. All genres welcomed and sound has been greatly improved + FAT DRINKS!
Joanna
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 4:02 pm

I'm game for Murphy's, but they gotta start booking some rockin shows. Plus, the lawsuit filed against The Buc for becoming so damn awesome was just plain lame (in my humble opinion). Not sure what's going on with that now, but the fact that it was filed in the first place (or even considered!) ain't cool no matter how "FAT" Murphey's drinks are.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 5:46 pm

The Two Way's lease got dropped, cause the rent went up. Who cares.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 5:46 pm

The Two Way's lease got dropped, cause the rent went up. Who cares.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 6:47 pm

JOANNA- the "lawsuit" you are talking about is not against the Bucc for the last fuckng time... That is what they want you to think. It is about a partnership disolution agreement that was breeched, a frivolous lawsuit filed by an ex-employee of Murphy's and then a counter-suit after that lawsuit was won. This shit was all started by the ungreatful motherfuckers that wouldn't have a bar to call there own if it weren't for Murphy's. The next time some one slanders YOUR name in public and tries to derail YOUR business- let's see if you have the balls to stand up for what's right. Murphy's, as stated before on this board, and it's employees (who have bills to pay too) don't hold any ill-contempt for the Buccaneer or it's patrons or employees.

Murphy's started filling the niche needed in this town over 5 years ago, and it seems like everyone has been trying to follow ever since.

So- get your facts straight, lighten up, and don't believe everything you hear.

P.S.- it's spelled MURPHY'S not Murphey's.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 7:07 pm

BTW- did ya'll know that Murphy's is named after the son of the current owner of Ernestine and Hazel's?

Murphy George, born in 1977 to Russell George- the year Murphy's started.

See, thems facts.
Joanna
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 8:10 pm

Yipes! Sorry to put your panties in a wad; won't peep another word about the Murpheez-Buc dispute. (Oops, did I spell it wrong again?) Better get my facts straight.
Joanna
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 8:15 pm

No, seriously. I really didn't mean to bum you out One and Only... None of that shit is any of my bidness anyway.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 8:31 pm

Joanna you are a trooper and it's no sweat- thanks for being cool.
Joanna
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 8:41 pm

I feel all warm and tingly inside right now. Peace has been restored in the Goner Universe. All is right in the World. All my love to you One.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 11:09 pm

back atcha! :)
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 11:31 pm

1 and only...why did you ban the newest employee of the Bucc. from your bar?
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 11:36 pm

I am not aware of anyone being "banned" from Murphy's. Sounds like some more BS rumors to me.

Who is it and do I know them?
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 11:50 pm

Not saying BS rumors don't fly like birds all over this town. Rather not drop names but it's someone that goes there just about every night and I went up there with him the other night and he was told he wasn't aloud in there anymore. He didn't know why either. The only guess he had was that he works at the Bucc. now. Just kind of a strange thing for a regular customer to be told when he walks in your bar.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 11:53 pm

Anywho, all are welcome- no one is banned and I truly wish the best for everybody (really).

That means everyone at the Bucc, Goner Records, Hi-tone, Young Ave., Shangri-La, etc.

Can't we all just get along?

NO ONE IS BANNED- hell, ask Johnny of Hedgecreep- he got pissed one night at Murphy's because of all the BS and broke a chair and still owes a tab. But he's not banned- I understand we all get a little stupid sometimes. They're one of my favorite bands and basically got there start at Murphy's. Loyalty is definitely a big deal for me and I would not give up on some one just for one incident.

ALL MY LOVE
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 12:02 am

I'll find out what's up, and take care of any misunderstandings or miscommunications.

Please tell said employee and customer I personally apologize and would like to offer a cold beverage as an offereing of peace.

Amy Brooks will now be handling most of the business at Murphy's. If there is ever any situation that needs to be addressed, I can be reached any time- it's not hard to find me.

And again, I swear to you and all who read this that I honestly wish the best for everybody and would be happy to accomodate any one who wishes my help.

Now I feel all warm and fuzzy...
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 12:23 am

Here's your chance to support a show at an unusual venue.

The Cool Jerks!!!
Saturday November 19th!!!
At...Newby's!!!(Don't ask. Just come.)
Posted: Nov 12, 2005 3:17 am

Russell's got to do some work to make Lil Kings (the back room) up to code for the fire dept. They shut it down after the Blue Monkey burned. Good Luck with his AA Management!
Posted: Nov 12, 2005 3:32 am

my favorite shows at LPOE were of course,New Memphis Leggs & Guitar Wolf..they sounded great wherever & whenever they played.
Posted: Nov 12, 2005 5:03 pm

well, we played the vault last night, and i gotta say i had fun. they're not done inside, as there was still scaffolding up yesterday before the show, but it's not a bad room at all. sounds pretty good (wood floors) and they even sported for a monitor. good taste in bands too (hehe) as they let the secret service and hedgecreep christen the joint. the special riders went on late, and sounded pretty good but i was too drunk to go on.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:04 am

JOANNA- the "lawsuit" you are talking about is not against the Bucc for the last fuckng time... That is what they want you to think. It is about a partnership disolution agreement that was breeched, a frivolous lawsuit filed by an ex-employee of Murphy's and then a counter-suit after that lawsuit was won. This shit was all started by the ungreatful motherfuckers that wouldn't have a bar to call there own if it weren't for Murphy's. The next time some one slanders YOUR name in public and tries to derail YOUR business- let's see if you have the balls to stand up for what's right. Murphy's, as stated before on this board, and it's employees (who have bills to pay too) don't hold any ill-contempt for the Buccaneer or it's patrons or employees

what bullshit!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:06 am

[Anywho, all are welcome- no one is banned and I truly wish the best for everybody (really).

That means everyone at the Bucc, Goner Records, Hi-tone, Young Ave., Shangri-La, etc.

Can't we all just get along?

NO ONE IS BANNED- hell, ask Johnny of Hedgecreep- he got pissed one night at Murphy's because of all the BS and broke a chair and still owes a tab. But he's not banned- I understand we all get a little stupid sometimes. They're one of my favorite bands and basically got there start at Murphy's. Loyalty is definitely a big deal for me and I would not give up on some one just for one incident.

ALL MY LOVE

unbelievable bullshit!!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:15 am

A FRIGGIN BOWLING ALLEY/venue in midtown 5 to 10 lanes "you don't need the motherload" i'd pay to wait for a lane.ROCK N BOWL!!!!!!! if i owned a venue like that i'd pick fights with everysingle bar in town that's an untouchable.i'd even have the cock eyed camel out to get me FUCK DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER IT WOULD BE DEFAMATION OF LINEAGE oh yeah THE BUCC RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:21 am

A FRIGGIN BOWLING ALLEY/venue in midtown 5 to 10 lanes "you don't need the motherload" i'd pay to wait for a lane.ROCK N BOWL!!!!!!!
You could also add lanes of Skeeball (mini-bowling, if you will) to perfectly accentuate the venue.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:30 am

You're a skeeball.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:33 am

Alisa, I want a machine in my house so bad it hurts.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:38 am

I can tell. When's your birthday? We need to have a "buy Jack Stands a Skeeball and shut him up" benefit then!
Bless you, Jack. Keep on keepin on...
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 5:43 pm

SKEE BALL set up around the stage so you can skeeball & watch the show & to top it off a BUMPERCAR BAR i know what your thinkin "hey it rhymes" but you can also DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!finally you can advocate drinkin & drivin in a safe leisurely manner.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 5:44 pm

You and I NEED to talk to some venture capitalists ASAP.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 7:06 pm

one in the same, buisness props. INDEED.A.S.A.P.with an iron fist.get back to me on that jack.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 6:55 pm

Broad Street could be a very cool little strip.

i'd love to see some things there...and i've heard that there are a few plans being made for that area. with the wide streets, nudging in between summer and sam cooper... it's still got some anonymity and isn't too far for a cheap cab ride. i'm sure paris theater would appreciate the business, i rarely think of getting blow up dolls unless its late, i'm out and wasted.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 7:30 pm

Attn: Venture Capitalists

I would like to open the Jack Stands Mini-Mall on Broad. It would include From East to West on the south side:
A studio
A Radio station
A Bar/music club
A Beer-serving Arcade (w/Skeeball) and Bowling alley
A Goner Records 2 Franchise (we could call it the Cordova location)

I'll probably need a couple million.

e-mail me!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 11:43 pm

can i run the skeeball alley?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 1:28 am

NO WAY i got five on it & the bowling /skeeball thing was my idea,plus i got credentials as a carnie you betta ask somebody.STEP RIGHT UP STEP RIGHT UP!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 2:48 am

well ok you can run the skeeball spiller and i'll give out the bowling shoes ONLY IF THERE TAP DANCING SHOES NO BUTS ABOUT IT.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 2:52 am

See? That's the lost sound of bowling right there. Tapity-tapity-tap-tap-tap-slide, then the roar of the ball, and the clacking of the pins. It is crucial to have ebaola as a business partner.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 3:14 am

HERE HERE JACK, that sounds like a new oscars song in the making.OH YEAH AND IF YOU TAKE TO LONG YOUR OPPONENT GET'S TO SHOOT YOU WITH A PAINTBALL GUN no diddly daddling around THIS IS BOWLING PEOPLE NOT GOLF!!!!!! TAPITY TAP TAP POOSH OW SLIDE CURRRRR!!!
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 6:22 pm

Dear Venture Capitalist,
I fucking told you so.
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A35751

GIVE ME MONEY, AS I HAVE AWESOME IDEAS!
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 9:25 pm

[/i][i]So... if Ernestine and Hazel's tried to create another venue for local, regional, and maybe some mid-level/quasi national acts... in their back bar area... would you support it?[/]

The last time I went in there that place was over-run with little kids.
I HATE teenagers!
I always have, and always will.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 8:42 pm

There is a new music venue opening inside the old Strings and Things building. Im not sure how many more this city can handle. Probably not a good idea at the time.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 11:00 pm

There is a new music venue opening inside the old Strings and Things building. Im not sure how many more this city can handle. Probably not a good idea at the time.

It's supposed to be like a "Beale Street" type venue offering Mid-Tier national acts. It will be an open room plus dining in and out, as far as I can tell/ heard.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 12:00 am

it will be interesting to see how it goes down, that's for sure.

I think the "success" of Printers Alley shows that people will try to go to other places for shows. Even when the venue sucks. Variety? Boredom? Dunno.

that said, hey, TSOT tuesday night, PRINTER'S ALLEY!

(i don't know why, either.)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®