Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Swamp Surfing
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 3:24 am

I just recently checked out this Swamp Surfing In Memphis comp. at the library a couple of days back...I was wondering if anybody had any info on this group of motorcyle women called The Hellcats.
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 3:24 pm

I was the drummer
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 4:02 am

Here are more infos about The Hellcats:

Members
The Hellcats #2:
(second album)
Lorette Velvette: lead vocals, guitars, bass, harmonica
Lisa McGaughran: lead vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards
Diane Green: lead vocals, guitar
Su Ondine: keyboards
Misty White: drums, percussion

The Hellcats #1:
(first album)
Loretta Velvette: vocals, guitar
Diane Green: vocal, piano, organ
Lisa McGaughran: vocals, guitar, piano, percussion
Benny Carter: drums
Doug Easley: bass
Misty White: tamborine
Jim Spake: saxophone
Ron Easley: piano
Jim Watkins: harmonica

Albums
Cherry Mansions MLP (New Rose, 1988, ROSE 146)
Cherry Mansions MLP (Frenzi, 1988, FZ 5400)
Wall Of Death
Hard Time Killing Floor (Nehemiah James)
I Don't Need (Ike Turner)
What-Cha Doing In The Woods (S.Anderson)
I've Been A Good Thing (For You) (James Moore)
Where The Sirens Cry
Hoodoo Train LP/CD (New Rose, 1989, ROSE 197)
Where The Hell Is Memphis
Hoodoo Train
Crazy About You Baby (Sonny Williamson)
Don't Fight It (Wilson Pickett, Steve Crooper)
Baby Please Don't Go (McKinley Morganfield)
Antartica
I Did My Part (Allen Toussaint)
Shine
When You Walk In The Room (Jackie DeShannon)
Silly Whim (inconnu)
Back Door Slam
Love Is Dying
Wall Of Death (CD-only)
Hard Time Killing Floor (Nehemiah James) (CD-only)
I Don't Need (Ike Turner) (CD-only)
What-Cha Doing In The Woods (S.Anderson) (CD-only)
I've Been A Good Thing (For You) (James Moore) (CD-only)
Where The Sirens Cry (CD-only)
Compilations
Swamp Surfing In Memphis LP (Au-Go-Go, 1986, ANDA 47)
Get Off The Road
Wall Of Death
7" free with La Herencia De Los Munster Magazine (Munster, 1990, TFSOR-7009)
Goin' Down South (live)
New Rose Story - 1980-2000 - Last Call 4xCD (New Rose, 2000, 3062312)
track ?
HAVE FUN LISTENING TO GOOD MUSIC !!!
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 5:20 pm

How can you know that much about the Hellcats and yet not know anything about Black Oak Arkansas?
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 8:02 pm

The Hellcats suffered some from under documentation. Misty, I think it's your job as "the drummer" to write an expose ala Ross Johnson's pamphlet, It Never Happened.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 9:47 pm

Most of the Hellcats music was published in Europe. I will see next Satur- day, if Black Oak Arkansas will convince me. They were not popular in the Land of Bratwurst. I bought in 86 the Swamp Surfing in Memphis, since I'm a big fan of the old Tav Falco stuff. I saw him quite often in Europe. In April he played at the Memphis festival in London, where he was playing on a boat trip.

How can you know that much about the Hellcats and yet not know anything about Black Oak Arkansas?
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 12:51 pm

I would have to change the names to protect the innocent!! We did back Joe Walsh at a party once. He broke a string on the first song and we kept playing till he had changed the string and joined back in! Playing Funk 49 was a real thrill. I also beat him in a dirty joke contest!! There's a lil snippet!
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 2:57 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Thanks for the snippet (and what a snippet!) Which pretty much proves my long held belief that The Hellcats were so much more than the "Ladies Auxillary" to Panther Burns. Incidentally, we met years ago when The Hellcats came through Toronto with Panther Burns (I've a foggy memory of you drumming w/ both bands?) Dragged a bunch of y'all back to my apartment - 2 AM BBQing on the roof and much drinking ensued. Tav ate cookies. Sadly, no photos.

So how about some details re: the "From The Vault" CDR. Or are the innocent once again being protected? Regardless, I'm digging it. Redial!
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 6:02 pm

I remember Toronto, Was it Lou's Palace? or Lee's? anyway, I don't have to change these names!! I was playing with both bands because Bill [the panther burns drummer had left in the middle of the night back in chicago. So, Tav made me the drummer for the rest of the tour! Now at this point in my career I had only been playing drums for the Hellcats for a few weeks. Lorette would play a snare standing up next to me. During the Toronto show Lorette turns to me in mid song and tells me she has to pee! I said ok after the song. She said no, now!! Then as I looked, she began to pee on stage,while holding the beat the whole time. She was wearing a mini skirt and I don't believe any undergarments{we were freer then] Crazy Stuff! My from the vault volume one is stuff I've recorded over the years with Greg Cartwright, the Chiselers, some guys from the Hickiods,and a session I did at Sam Phillips. These are all songs I've written. As for Redial, Greg helped on the music writing. I'm glad you like it! My new band the Zippin Pippins sounds the most like the old Hellcats stuff.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:38 pm

I have to be honest, I didn't play on Swamp Surfing in Memphis, I didn't know how to play drums yet, and I was still following the Dead. Brenda Brewer played drums for the Hellcats and she was lead singer with Paradoxical Babble who also played on Swamp Surfing! She is a wonderful girl and I wanted to make sure the record was straight!
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

actually, i wasn't the founding drummer of the Hell Cats although I was the drummer on Swamp Surfing in memphis. Giovanni Pisorno, of Rome, Italy was the original drummer. She passed her drums on to me when she moved back to Rome.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Was it Lou's Palace? or Lee's?
Lee's. It's still there, and still pretty much the only game in town, of that size. Some renovations since then (pack MORE people in) Misty, thanks for the reminiscences! (I'm certain I taped the Hellcats set but, well, it was a while ago...I'll do some digging) Brenda, thanks for the fact checking (and I haven't even started with the questions...)

Zippin Pippins? Any recordings yet?
Posted: Oct 29, 2005 3:54 am

I just recently checked out this Swamp Surfing In Memphis comp. at the library a couple of days back...I was wondering if anybody had any info on this group of motorcyle women called The Hellcats.
Which album cover did your copy have? The Bob X illustration or Trey Harrison's photo?
Posted: Oct 29, 2005 3:56 am

Most of the Hellcats music was published in Europe. I will see next Satur- day, if Black Oak Arkansas will convince me.

What's all this about Black Oak?!? Are they playin' at Hell On Earth????
Posted: Oct 29, 2005 8:03 am

I think the Box X Illustration...it definately was not a photo.
Posted: Oct 29, 2005 3:22 pm

The Bob X illustration or Trey Harrison's photo?

There's different versions? I've got a bright orange Bob X jacketed (vinyl) copy on Frenzi (I think?) and the olive green (CD) on Au Go Go - both Bob X. Liner notes by Lisa M. with a group photo on both.
Posted: Oct 29, 2005 4:38 pm

Yeah..it was the bright orange Bob X copy.
Posted: Oct 30, 2005 10:30 pm

Olive Green CD??? Whoa. The original issue had a photo of everyone on the record all crowded together around Tav's Triumph I think it was. I don't think too many of those crop up. And it was on Au Go Go. Didn't know Frenzi ever made any, but you never know.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 4:34 pm

Here's a link to a Panther Burns discography with pictures of both versions:
http://www.limbos.org/tavfalco/tavfalcodc.htm
I think I prefer the photo to Bob X, but have never actually seen a copy. And yes Diane, I dug up my vinyl and it is indeed from Australia. Of course, the Frenzi logo and address were on the jacket as well, so it's a little misleading. Kind of like how Lisa's name is so small and off to the side, that it wasn't until the (real ugly olive green jacketed) CD was released that I realized who actually wrote the liner notes (not Tav)
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 9:39 pm

Dey Diane! I wish you could have made it to Hell On Earth! Jimbo came fromd N.Y. Claudine stayed behind... Much Broken glass but not much blood for a change. Thanks for leaving your ph.# I've gotten your messages but I lost my phonebook. Call me, I don't have long distance. These guys want to know some stories about the Hellcat Daze! Can you recall anything you can safely write about?
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 10:16 pm

Diane - I remember you were at my apartment as well. I may have given you my "Hamilton Hell Cats" t shirt (well, I gave it to someone)

Also, Alisa posted some great photos from Hell on Earth on her flickr site - I'd completely forgotten that Suzi Hendrix was a Zippin Pippin.
Posted: Nov 12, 2005 2:12 am

Thanks, Driver, for the shout out.
Here ya go Misty, et al.: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisa_in_memphis/sets/1250641/

(Shameless self-promotion maybe, but) it was really fun taking those pictures. Thanks, y'all.
Posted: Nov 12, 2005 11:56 am

Good job!! Did you get any of the NTJ and Hurra Torpedo "set"? That was CRAZY STUFF!!

Driver, we have done 2 songs for a compilation album for Katrina victims. "Let them eat beignets if they can't find any meat"
Posted: Nov 12, 2005 2:46 pm

Regretfully, no. I left early It was way crowded when I left...huge party! Very fun.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®