Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / PLEASE...NO!
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 4:03 am

The newest plan for the Pyramid? They're going to put a Bass Pro Shop in the Pyramid!!! Jack Sammons says that it's a great idea...is "emblematic of the Memphis Spirit."
Kill me now.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 4:31 am

I think it's genius! Bill Dance for mayor!!!
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 4:32 am

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...so since when is acting like a redneck emblematic of the memphis spirit?

i doubt they'd go through with that because herenton would rather put a just beepers in the damn thing. hah.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 4:46 am

I'm totally for the Bass Pro Shop. It will be closer than the one out east, plus, it'll have a better aquarium.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 5:09 am

No. No. No.
What's wrong with the bait shop at Dacus Lake? It's just across the river!!
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 6:55 am

so since when is acting like a redneck emblematic of the memphis spirit?
there is nothing redneck about fishing...
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 4:02 pm

Oh the eternal Memphis ego personality conflict. Get on the couch Memphians!

I'd be swooning with disgust along with the ladies but then go fishing the second someone suggested it. It is fun. Which one of Andy's personalities had the long running argument with me last year about Hardy? Or was that Jack Stands?
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 4:14 pm

there is nothing redneck about fishing...

oh this i know. but have you been to a bass pro shop ever? it's kinda scary...well at least the people that shop there. some of the camping stuff is kind of neat. i went in there to scope out some camping gear last year and the people in there is what frightened me the most...eek. with their mudcovered trucks out in the parking lot.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 4:21 pm

but have you been to a bass pro shop ever?
I have. The one in the old Walmart off Sycamore View has Red Ryder BB guns for rather cheap (by the way, if you're looking for something for the Dad that has everything, get him a BB gun; instant happiness). Sure there's a lot of people in boots, plaid flannel and camo, but so did the average punk from back in the day. And I bet getting the mud to cover their truck is fun. For the record, I love hunting/fishing shops.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 5:34 pm

Red Ryder BB guns for rather cheap

that sounds fun. i like bb guns. heheh. i guess i'm just being an ass about the redneck thing because i grew up out in the middle of nowhere and was harassed all to shit by them for being "weird". hah.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 5:46 pm

so since when is acting like a redneck emblematic of the memphis spirit?

What about Memphis isn't redneck? This area has been a hub of wrestling, fishing, hunting, BBQ'ing, and 4x4'ing for decades. The Chevy vs. Ford arguments here are legendary. All of this stuff I consider redneck culture. I like Bass Pro Shops, have never been scared in the parking lot, but feel a large convention hotel would be a better use of the space.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 6:03 pm

I conquer about the better use of space comment. I liked the old aquarium idea, but that is probably not going to happen.

I can think of many places that are far more redneck than Memphis. Just look at the state as a whole, or the surrounding states, much more redneck, I think the just eek into Memphis suburbs and surrounding areas.

And when the hell did BBQ become redneck? Just because those who join in competitions are rednecks, dosen't make BBQ redneck. Some of the best BBQ joints in Memphis are not owned/operated by whitey.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 6:08 pm

Just because those who join in competitions are rednecks, dosen't make BBQ redneck

All those that compete aren't rednecks either. A lot are, but many aren't.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 6:13 pm

I'll eat some good hot BBQ no matter who cooked it.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 6:51 pm

I'm for the Bass Pro Shops. 2006 is going to be a big fishing year for me. And Kristin, that wasn't me last year, I believe that was my boss at the time.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 7:06 pm

Your boss at the time knew enough about me to rib that I was a "Rio Vistan snob"?
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 7:51 pm

If that's an Arkansas thing, then yes....he spends a lot of time in Arkansas, or did....
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 8:33 pm

Hey, I do want to say that I love to fish...even got a fishing trophy.

but have you been to a bass pro shop ever? it's kinda scary...

This is my problem with it. I've been to the one out on Sycamore View, and walked around with my mouth open the entire time. I just can't get past the Wal-Mart sized hunter's playground. 50,000 lures...50,000 guns...50,000 weird ass camo shirts (with fake leaves on them and everything!)

Hell, I grew up in Bartlett, so I know my way around a few rednecks. But, I think it's a terrible idea for the use of the space. You cross the Mississippi from the west into our fair city and what's the first thing you see? A Bass Pro Shop in a Pyramid. Ah, Memphis.
On second thought...maybe it's fittin'.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 8:35 pm

I liked the old aquarium idea, but that is probably not going to happen.

The Bass Pro Shop out on Sycamore View has a huge fishtank, so maybe you'll partially get your wish...
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 9:02 pm

hmm, not quite what i had imagined.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 9:20 pm

This plus Timberlake wanting to buy Stax and Sun makes me want to move. We'll probablly need a new baseball stadium in a year or two.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 10:32 pm

This plus Timberlake wanting to buy Stax and Sun makes me want to move.

WHA!?!?!!?

Earles: That is just crazy that he knows Arkansas so well to know that we Rio Vistans are total snots. But we are NOTHING compared to the Wahpeton bitches. Those Wahpeton hos paddle their fancy canoes up to our part of the river and camp out all day throwing tennis balls to their $2500 dogs and act like they own the place. I long for the days when my grandfather would see them putting upriver in their shitty pontoon boats and he would flash a revolver, sticking out of the waistband of his swimtrunks. No sexual innuendos, Jack, please.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 10:33 pm

Posted: Oct 7, 2005 10:36 pm

hos paddle their fancy canoes?
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 10:42 pm

OK more like this: "Those East Memphis Junior Leaguers with their rustic vacation homes on Wahpeton Hill had fiberglass canoes while we coarse Rio Vistans had dented old Grumman steel ones and they would paddle upriver to our part of the Spring in said canoes...just because we had a little island and rapids that were easy enough to plant a lounge chair in and they had just plain old river."
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 10:48 pm

This plus Timberlake wanting to buy Stax and Sun makes me want to move.

WHA!?!?!!?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1582949,00.html
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 10:49 pm

Got it. I'm sticking with that innuendo, though. I'm gonna write a song about it.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 10:56 pm

Sounds like Justin has been doing a little too much high quality blow while having a few too many conversations with Craig Brewer. Sounds like yet another useless grand scheme to me.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 12:59 am

All those that compete aren't rednecks either. A lot are, but many aren't.

no kidding. not all for sure. my dad, a few of my friends, and some old coworkers of mine, none of whom are redneck all are in that every year.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 5:32 am

I just remember something about you throwing gars up on the bank to die. You know, that sort of makes me sad. Gars get a real bad rap. You threw a fish up on the bank to die. I'm going to go liberate the gar from the Bass Pro Shops tank right now.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 10:52 am

Bass Pro Shop in the Pyramid!!!
could be worse, at least it aint no Blue Collar Comedy TOur bullshit outlet shop. Git R Done can Git my Ballsaaaccckkkkk!! fuck that pile o' shit Larry Cable ass.
Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:03 pm

Back in the news today...we're "one step closer"!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 3:14 am

I just remember something about you throwing gars up on the bank to die.

Nooooooo...I threw ROCKS (OK, some could qualify as small boulders) down on the gar school that would not leave the water right in front of our dock! Plus, they were eating those cute shad. I am terrified of gar. I'd never be brave enough to grab them and throw them anywhere.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 4:08 am

whoa, I never saw this thread until now, but I have to echo the pro-pro-shop sentiment. This sounds AWESOME!!!! I went to the Bass Pro Shop right off I-40 on the way to Germantown Pkwy and I've gotta say, that is the saddest fuckin Bass Pro Shop I've ever set foot in. Most of them are built to look like enormous fucking log cabins and there's taxidermied shit everywhere, multiple fishtanks, target ranges... this one was in a goddamn strip mall. It was insulting, quite frankly. Memphians deserve better. Katy, TX and Gurney, IL have great Bass Pro Shops but I believe the pyramid could outbass them all. Godspeed!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:20 pm

i finally got it... make it an enormous LOG pyramid!

i'd go for that. glue logs to that shiny metal exterior... gives it the "country" feel everyone loves and kills the glare as you're coming down N Parkway.

Finally, get rid o' dat Ramses statue and put up one of Davey Crockett!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:22 pm

this one was in a goddamn strip mall

is was a former wal-mart location. the area totally died after walmart left, but the bass pro stepped things back up a bit. i thought bps deserved kudos for using an existing space.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:24 pm

And they do have some fish-tanks in there, but I agree with Chris; I've seen some pretty fancier set-ups.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:26 pm

sure, most of the ones i have visited are over the top. they also needed space for their boat service dept and parts shop, so i'm sure that was a factor
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:30 pm

i thought bps deserved kudos for using an existing space.

see, that's where you and I differ.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:32 pm

Also, I've seen some of the ones thoughout Gatlinburg/Dollywood (this is our State competition, people) that had Robot Bears playing instuments. Everybody loves Robot Bears, but playing a song? WWWHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:35 pm

see, that's where you and I differ.

how so? I just get sick of seeing buildings sitting empty and trees getting ripped up to build more crappy strip malls
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:39 pm

yes, but this is bass pro shop we're talking about here. I mean, you wouldn't suggest retrofitting disneyland into an existing busch gardens, would you?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:44 pm

I wasn't getting in on the whole pyramid debate w/ the above comments. I was just saying that it was nice to see an existing space put to use. the old wal-mart building wasa gutted warehouse when bps went in so there wasn't much retrofitting to be done.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:46 pm

the pyramid is the same thing -- an empty structure that needs to be repurposed. bring on the snakeheads!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:48 pm

could they put some giant antlers on top of the pyramid?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Do you think they will keep the Ramses statue and use him as an advertising standie for different poles, vests etc?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:50 pm

I think the pyramid should spew blood out of the top to rain down on the shoppers of guns.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:51 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

could they put some giant antlers on top of the pyramid?

That = Awesomeness. And they should spin like radar.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 6:22 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Put the rides from Libertyland INSIDE of the Pyramid. Name it something Egyptian. Contract the Womb Raider design team to handle the uber violence aspect of theme park.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 6:42 pm

They should tear down Ramsses and erect a statue of Bill Dance or Ted Nugent!!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:09 pm

the pyramid is the same thing -- an empty structure that needs to be repurposed.

sort of. True bps would bring in $$, but I think with such a distinctive landmark, we could shop around for something else. I think there is a big difference in empty strip mall space getting filled w/ a big anchor store vs. a prominent skyline feature of the city
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:34 pm

Speaking of Libertyland, we just got info from our "mole" (a 27-yr. employee of the park who's been passing us eye-witness updates) that the citizens of Memphis have been lied to all along. Surprise, surprise, surprise as the guy from Mayberry RFD used to say. We're taking our evidence of dirty deals done dirt cheap on the air monday (Q-107.5 fm Carson & Kennedy in the Morning Show.)
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:39 pm

Big Mall of America type deal. Plenty of parking.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:40 pm

The cabal is aware of your "mole". We put him there. We've put out all kinds of juicy tidbits for the goose chase.

But, a stern warning to your group: do NOT look underneath the carousel. There is nothing of interest there.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Restore the crystal skull to the apex now.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:31 pm

Where is it?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:32 pm

It is NOT under the carousel.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 1:29 am

I would keep it as a concert hall and have Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles play every Monday Night.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®