Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / best BBQ and other memphis info??
Posted: Sep 9, 2005 10:29 pm

i know this is probably a well worn question...

but, my work is sending me and four other people to memphis for the rest of the month. i was wondering if you guys might recommend any places to grab a bite to eat, grab a drink, or anything else.

one of the guys is from argentina and is convinced that americans can't get their MEAT right, so help me prove him wrong! where is the best BBQ in town?

we won't have too much time to do real tourist-y things. though, i am going to the GONER store everyday if i can help it! not to mention gonerfest. any info on fun things, good shops, etc.. would be really appreciated. thanks a lot!

keegan
Posted: Sep 9, 2005 11:37 pm

Said it before...I'll say it again...Cozy Corner on N. Parkway for BBQ!
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 2:37 am

Gots to go to Payne's at 1762 Lamar Ave. BEST pulled pork sandwich IN THE NATION!!!!! It is a great lil place to catch a lunch on a weekday--totally "real". Your meal will consist of a sandwich, baked beans and a coke. YUM. And, believe me, they get the meat right. Cornish Hens at Cozy Corner are awesome too.

Some one else will have to reccomend the ribs as I never eat them (I know I know...)
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 3:24 am

i'll recommend the ribs, but i've heard the cornish hens are awesome. i've never gotten past the ribs!

Paynes rules the sandwich worl'!
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 3:59 am

Big foot lodge got mighty props for its cornish hen in the paper today.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 6:57 am

Still diggin' the BBQ Shop on Madison. Jumbo Pork on Texas Toast!

If you're out by holmes/mill branch, hit Coleman's for a sandwich or the smoked sausage. Shit's cheap and delicious!
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 3:15 pm

The Bigfoot Lodge sucks. Bigtime. Ate there last Saturday. Atmosphere is a terrible fake cabin/sports bar, burger was so-so...it made me hate myself for five minutes. The Bigfoot Lodge better watch its fucking back.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 4:08 pm

Payne's and Cozy Corner pretty much rule the roost. The bologna sammich at Cozy Corner can not be beat. Also, though not as "cosmic" as those two, Tops BBQ still makes a damn good sandwich, as well as one of the best burgers in Mempho. Oh yeah, the A&R on EP Blvd is good too.

Bigfoot Lodge sucks. Tappa Kega Brew. I liked it better when it was a guitar store and a somewhat dubious music museum.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 5:22 pm

if the sauce is important to you...the BBQ shop is unfukwitable, best hot bbq sauce on god's green earth.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 6:13 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Payne's sauce is pretty perfect. Not to mention that crazy slaw--what the hell is in that stuff? If ya know, gimme the recipe. I enjoy Tops sandwich when in a hurry (it was closer to my house) and Payne's is closed. But Payne's is heavenly. It is the kind of thing that stops all the table chatter once everyone starts eating.

I am a snob and don't set foot in the BBQ Shop, but Bobby Flay loved it, so there ya have it.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 6:52 pm

Central BBQ is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't eaten there. And, apparently they have about a dozen different sauces. Anyone know?
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 7:17 pm

Central BBQ is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't eaten there. And, apparently they have about a dozen different sauces. Anyone know?

I dont like that place at all, the sauce sucks, the employees are kinda dipshits and the meat is lackluster...but then again I think BBQ shop is killer, so maybe we have different tastes here...as also, I think Top's is fuckin dog food.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 7:23 pm

compared to other bbq joints i've eaten at in memphis, tops is definately the dog food version. it's chopped really tiny and it tastes like there's bones in it or something.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 8:24 pm

Payne's rules!!! Has anyone ever been to Interstate BBQ? That's where Eightball and MJG eat.
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 9:47 pm

wow! thanks for this info! payne's it is. keep it coming!
Posted: Sep 10, 2005 11:41 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Interstate is really good. Tops is indeed "dog food" but like I said, when you really want a sandwich and Payne's is closed or some such, I have been known to give in and go there.

I think BBQ Shop is just one of those places that showed up all new in the 80's (like Corky's) and I have always looked down on it. I tried it once and wasn't all that impressed. It was the first place I ever played guitar in public though!
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 12:11 am

bbq shop has gotten much better since when I first went in early '90s. Their smoke turkey sandwich is damn good. So is Interstate's, but this one is not as messy.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 12:21 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Has anyone ever been to Interstate BBQ?

Pretty good pulled pork, but seemed overrated. When the Pig on Beale has it's act together, it's ribs stack up with any joint in town. Nealy's(Mt. Moriah location) is another highly regarded place whose ribs didn't impress me at all. I've never gotten past the awesome pork sandwich at Payne's to try those ribs, but now I will.

I pitty the fool who comes to Memphis for BBQ and only eats at Corky's or Top's.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 1:48 am

I think the ribs at interstate are pretty damn good. not cozy corner good, but still good.

I think payne's cole slaw secret ingredient is nothing more than yellow mustard, but it is so damn good! maybe there's turmeric in there too.

I don't know what else to say. I just like the fact that you can't go far in memphis without smelling meat being cooked.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 2:01 am

I think payne's cole slaw secret ingredient is nothing more than yellow mustard, but it is so damn good! maybe there's turmeric in there too.

do you mean EXTRA turmeric?
i make my own mustards and turmeric is pretty much THE ingredient for yellow mustard (apart from the mustard seed and/or powder, depending on how intricate you get w/ the recipe)
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 2:14 am

mmmmmmm......

Mustard....
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 2:56 am

my frig has nothing in it but mustard right now.
like 10 different kinds and that's not enough
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 2:56 am

my frig has nothing in it but mustard right now.
like 10 different kinds and that's not enough
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 2:57 am

I don't know, I tried to recreate it and added more mustard and mustard seed, but it just wasn't the same. There is a sweetness to it and it is super bright too...brighter than yellow mustard bright. Someone has to find out the recipe. Who is on for this challenge?????
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 3:08 am

I can probably taste it and give you a recipe from it - my former roommates own a BBQ joint and I've seen every permutation of slaw in the last 5 years and know most of the recipes.

When you say bright - do you mean light & almost fruity? What kind of vinegar do you use? Do you use vinegar in slaw? If you don't, you should. And celery seed can add that bright flavor. Sweet is often achieved by the most obvious ingredient: sugar (mix it in the vinegar).
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 4:37 am

no offense TK but i doubt you'll be able to discern the Paynes recipe -- it is truly a nectar of the gods but in a weird, unnatural sense, like rotel dip frito pie and other bizarre southern delicacies -- this slaw probably has a pound of sugar, good ol white vinegar, and a few bottles of the cheapest dollar store mustard for starters, but it also has a certain imitable taste...

and re: BBQ Shop -- not my fave, Kristen, but it actually has a damn good legacy -- family owned Brady & Lil's south Mmephis joint, which was a musician's haunt from waaay back when (30s or 40s, i can't recall which) til the late 70s/early 80s... they ain't no johnny come latelys like Corky's...
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 4:40 am

BBQ Shop's store-brand sauce - Dancing Pigs`- is the best i've had from Memphis. But then again, I like Corky's "Smokin' Hot" bottles, too (they were on sale- i was surprised i liked it.)

BBQ Shop ain't bad- but not great. You can get a beer there, and the texas toast is fun.

Payne's slaw is bright as in BRIGHT NEON YELLOW!
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:29 am

They do put celery seed in Payne's slaw, I think. Yep, I'll concur that Payne's sandwiches are really, really good. If you're not familiar with Memphis, though, I'd take a Memphian with me to find it. It's not exactly off the beaten path, but...
Interstate also has very strange bbq spaghetti. Worth a conversation, at least.
Hey, your Argentinian friend might like the lamb ribs at the Rendezvous. But, I may not know what the hell I'm talking about. Rendezvous is not that good of eats, but it's fun to go there. And, they do have beer there too.
I come by all of this honestly, you guys. My grandfather had the first 'counter service' bbq joints in Memphis, ala Tops. They were called the 'Pig Pen'....the first one was where the Tops is now on Summer Ave. My mother tells the story of bottling sauce for 5 cents a bottle to earn money for her prom dress. He was something...put crystal chandeliers in the shops (one of which resides in my attic now). Can you imagine chandeliers in a Tops like restaurant? When he died, in 1958, his obituary was headed - in both the Memphis papers - "Allen Crump - BARBEQUE MAN".

Tops sucks for BBQ, but their burgers are, I think, almost the best in town.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:49 am

eric -- have you seen those new news channel 3 commercials? they're promoting mike matthews as the city's WATCHDOG -- he has his own graphics with a dog bite chomped out and everything!

in other news, went to RL's funeral today, ate a damn good burger at phillips' grocery store in holly springs afterwards.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:50 am

AND i ate blues city bbq (crappy beale street tourist stop owned by MVCB pres kevin kane) ribs last nite at the black snake moan party -- they were actually damn tender and good. the sauce was a lil too sweet, but all in all not bad!
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 6:53 am

Has anyone had Japanese slaw? I have only had it in LA and find it an anachronism in those box lunches, but its hugely pervasive (and they do potato salad too). it is also bright - almost day-glo orange. After much experimentation, I discovered secret to their unique flavor was to mix rice wine vinegar, sugar and a drop of sesame oil into mayo for that flavor. The color, I could never figure out. It was heavy on shredded carrots but enough to effect the color?? Maybe its just food coloring.

This summer, I made slaw w/ raisins and vinegar-thinned Greek yogurt. Super tangy and the raisins brought the sweetness.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 8:03 am

Goddmamit, that's exactly what this city needs, Alisa. Bring back the 5 cent bbq sauce bottle! It will save the city from certain economic destruction. "Subsidize the Sauce" will be the refrain. Get Steve Cohen working on a constitutional amendment.

I must say there is nothing worse than biting into a big chomp of fatty Payne's bbq. It doesn't happen often, but it is akin to finding the unsightly, unknown origin "green" dorito that looks like a missing finger in the bottom of the bag. It will make you appreciate a&r bbq.

Central bbq is equivalent of Corky's--decent, fairly quickly served, social, & not for the aficianado.

The bbq baloney at cozy corner is amazing but who will sacrifice the hen or the ribs to find out? Also, the quality has dropped exponentially in the last 2 years (bummer), but only the regulars would notice. It's not like there's another cozy corner out there. (Same with wild bill's since big don left the roost...) I ate there for over 10 years without having a bad hen or ribs. Within the last year, I've had both mediocre, fatty ribs & a couple of dry hens. I'll still fly the flag til it gets dramatically worse though...

Great burgers are had in Memphis bbq joints. Tops' burger is way better than their bbq esp. at Union as well as Watkins. A&R burger is as good as any other in town.

Phillips burger is always worth the drive.

I think in general even the shitty touristy bbq has improved in the last 15 years--yes, even on beale st. I have tourists tell me all the time how great their ribs were on beale st! It's all perspective, folks.

And for real touristy eats, the Loveless Motel outside Nashville (under new ownership) actually has damn good country ham & eggs--if you can wait 45 minutes for breakfast!

Anyone eaten at the dyer's on summer next to that breakfast place near Market Basket? It might even have replaced the mediocre breakfast place!???
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 8:55 am

I love the ribs at BBQ Shop and Central BBQ. In fact I want some now.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 2:43 pm

I really like the ribs at BBQ shop, although it takes them a long time to bring out the food. Central BBQ is just plain nasty.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 4:26 pm

And for real touristy eats, the Loveless Motel outside Nashville (under new ownership) actually has damn good country ham & eggs--if you can wait 45 minutes for breakfast!

Did you know you can call ahead and reserve a table there? You sure can (or at least you could in 2003) The ham is to die for. Sure is touristy but not anymore touristy than the Pancake Pantry

Anyone eaten at the dyer's on summer next to that breakfast place near Market Basket? It might even have replaced the mediocre breakfast place!???

I don't know if Summer was the street... but in 99, when I was w/ the Food Network, we shot a whole Memphis episode using Dyer's as the place from which we threw all the other segments. Famous old grease? Are you saying that there is a new branch of Dyer's?
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:03 pm

When Dyer's opens a new shop do they take a bit of the original grease a la sourdough bakeries?

Where is a&r bbq? I don't think I ever went there. Yeah, I had a piece of fat in my last Payne's sandwich, but for me, it just didn't matter. I had been without Payne's for 4 years and it was like heaven! I also bought 3 things of Pancho's Cheese Dip for the road trip back out here.

Yeah, the SLAW. I don't taste sesame oil in it but the rice wine vinegar...you might have something there. I will try to locate a photo and post the link here. The color is like a neon bright green-yellow (in my memory).
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:07 pm

Scroll down--the Payne's ribs with the slaw are pictured (this is actually a great lil blog!!!!)...looking at that photo, I think it is RELISH rather than slaw!!!

http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=15
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:07 pm

I'll second the bit about Topps' burgers. They're great greasy-spoon burgers. I also swear by the P&H burger (although I think I'm the only one).
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:43 pm

yes Dyers relocates the grease -- when they opened their 1st branch, they had a police motorcade!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1251
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 6:40 pm

I bet Payne's puts extra turmeric in the slaw JUST for the color. To balance out the bitterness, just add sugar. That fine dice is awesome.

I also hate that I know The Colonel (yeah KFC) makes his slaw w/ that kind of dice. Machines do it I'm sure, but I wonder if you can buy cabbage pre-diced like that? Cuz when I'm lazy... I buy pre-shredded white cabbage at the supermarket.
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 7:01 pm

She was asked by some food magazine to give up the recipe; naturally, she did not but let on that it was full of very common ingredients.

Man, I love the KFC slaw!!! If Popeye's would just steal that, I'd have perfect fast food chicken right down the street. KFC used to sell yeast rolls with gravy as a side; you could buy a whole pack of yeast rolls with a quart of gravy. That was special--eating fast food. My grandmom never let us eat that shit (thank god, but only in retrospect).
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 5:33 am

Those pictures on that dallasfood webpage were fucking gorgeous. Can't wait to get back to Paynes. Daaamn. Hope Cozy Corner isn't closed this time I'm in town. Drove all the way out there for NUTHIN.
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 4:08 pm

Morris' BBQ is really good. I think it's in Arlington. Tiny concrete building, killer sandwich.
I really dig Tops BBQ. No, it's not the fancy shit, but I dig it. Esp. if you drench it with Louisianna Hot Sauce. I like to get the cheese burger(mustard all the way), with a side bbq sandwich. Dip my fries in the beans, SHUT MY MOUTH!!

I had BBQ shop for the first time recently. That shit paints the toilet. Yuk.
That building used to be The Procape(pro-ka-pay). Lotza music played there.

Central BBQ gets a good, solid, ahh-ight. Great chips though.
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 6:00 pm

As a Limey motha, who been to town seven times (hic, burp, fart), I be diggin':

*Bar-B-Que Shop - The hot SAUCE to DIE FOR! BBQ baloney & crackers plate! Wet ribs is good, shoulder's great, too ... you MUST buy some Dancing Pigs hot sauce to take home, and put in yer bathwater ...
*Payne's - THE sanwich to end all! ENUFF SAID!
*Tops - Pretty tasty & good value, if you're stuck! A bucket o'meat lasts a loooong time!
*Cozy Corner - Must ask for the ultra hot sauce from the kitchen (and be prespared to assure 'em you can handle it)! Cornish hens! Whooo! Wet ribs! Yaaay, although meat ain't as tender as the Bar-B-Que Shop!Amazing sanwich, tho', just below Payne's in my opinion!

I be avoiding:

*Corky's - Shit onna bun, it ain't no fun!
*Central BBQ - Terrible sauce, so its gone!

I be mourning:

*Little Pigs - A quick sanwich and a dig in Memphis Comics was a fine repast! RIP!
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 6:15 pm

That Dallas food site is a really good blog... I'm guessing his obsession with smoke flavor (and his liking of central barbque) has something to do with Texas tastes. I've always felt that smokiness should be subtle characteristic of barbque or else the place was probably using fake smoke flavor. I am impressed that he researched ahead of time and went to parts of town that some locals fear.
Maybe I should give Central BBQ another chance....last time I went there the service was slow and rude, the food was cold, the sauce was generic, and it seemed to cater towards aspiring frat boys trying to impress their dates.
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 6:27 pm

Morris' is great too. But it's a drive out to Eads. Could be best in town!
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 6:43 pm

went to dyer's on summer...walked right out, they more and doubled their prices..damn near 4 bucks for one of their tiny belly bombs...good but not that good

grrrrrr....
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 6:46 pm

Hmm, I guess they gotta cover the franchisee cost!
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 6:47 pm

I've always thought Dyers was more famous, or "best-known-for" than good....
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 7:53 pm

The original Dyer's was as well known for its continued segregated lunch counter set up as much as its grease. The grease and grill used to be in the center and there were two doors leading to the two segregated counters. Though the signs were gone, people were still following pattern when I went there in the mid 80's.
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 8:06 pm

hey Sherman,
I have to drive through Eads on my way to Memphis on 64. How would I get to Morris' BBQ?
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 9:59 pm

I don't know my way around there at all but the address is 10601 Macon. It's an old country convenience store where the strip malls have built up around it.

Also out there is a little country convenience store, can't remember the name but I think it is Canale's (or run by the Canales) that has an amazing country ham & biscuit sandwich as well as egg/ham biscuit.
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 11:15 pm | Edited by: Windy

I am spoiled by competition BBQ but I like Cozy Corner and Payne's. I also, surprisingly, liked the BBQ shop. My loyalty has to lie with family though. Jacks Rib Shack has great bbq; I would be willing to bet that it is right up there w/ CC, and Paynes. My dad is the head cook who has won countless competitions (*including Memphis in May) with his rib, shoulder, chicken and sauce recipes. The slaw is homemade and he makes a mean cake. (usually choc w/ fudge icing or sourcream coconut) and you can have a beer w/ your BBQ. If you aren't in the mood for a sandwich the bbq pizza and nachos are pretty good too.

The location is a forgotten area near white station and summer (next to the Skateland) not too far from Guadalupana, for those that are familiar with that end of Summer.

I've always felt that smokiness should be subtle characteristic of barbque or else the place was probably using fake smoke flavor

I would agree except that I have spent too much time around the competitions where the kiss of death is no smoke ring or full smoke flavor. If the meat has a heavy smoke flavor with no bright pink ring around the edges, you're probably eating the liquid smoke
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 3:24 am

I here the McRib is coming back.
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 3:29 am

Windy, I was gonna check out that place this week.

Sambeaux and Kathrine, if you're out there, my offer for lunch still stands (sorry about work last week, though).
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 1:48 am

Hey Windy,
Was your dad on a recent Food Network show with Bobby Flay? I think he said he was from Jacks BBQ?
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 3:12 am

ok here's the total of my research, have been burned out lately so i don't have major new updates on brand new stuff but here goes:

Rendezvous lamb ribs are strange and amazing, i can only eat that and the sausage and cheese plate there anymore. became best friends with zac there though, and that counts for a whole lot in my book.
BBQ shop is awesome, texas toast especially! also a great sausage and cheese plate! sometimes slow, and closed at weird times but whatev.
the Kozy continues to impress although, like sherman i have had a few weird ones there lately, even those times make my heart warmer than going almost anywhere else.
One of the best pork related thing in town though, is the pork roast sandwich at Kwik Check! spicy mustard, onions, mushrooms. . .unbelievabe!
Finally for my big finale, I challenge any Argentinian to come to my party saturday and try my pork tenderloin. don't even worry about a knife. i'm also droppin boudain and mad amounts of brats and italian sausage. 858 south cooper, right at the beginning of the festival. going all day baby! except from 2:30 to 3:30 when you will be abused by total rock devastation by the secret service in front of the deli!
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 3:12 am

p.s. Good Lord do i miss eating at the Big S. sniff sniff. bbq has never been the same for me since.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 3:31 am

Speaking of pork--esp. homesick neworleanians--the thursday special at the place where Leech's used to be on Madison is delic. (short for delicious) It's some pork tenderloin in a highly addictive sauce on a bed of rice. Definitely my favorite new thing to eat in town besides Uncle Lou's honey biscuits & honey dipped chicken.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 7:14 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

This ain't about BBQ, but it IS about pork shoulder. Ryan made carnitas tonight and it is easy as hell and a reccomended food to make for a party. You can either do it in a dutch oven on the stove or in a slow cooker. We made tacos with ancho salsa. It kicked much ass. Goner Cookbook II????
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 5:59 pm

my favorite new thing to eat in town besides Uncle Lou's honey biscuits & honey dipped chicken.

sherm speaks the truth...Uncle Lou's biscuits and chicken is good good stuff..kinda sad they stopped being open on sundays..I was lookin forward to Uncle Lou fueled football sundays...
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 8:47 pm

Ryan made carnitas tonight and it is easy as hell and a reccomended food to make for a party.
I make that, too, and it IS easy and delicious. Do you put the meat in the oven after the meat has stewed for a few hours? If not, try it. That makes it even better.

After the meat has stewed, I tear apart the chunks and put 'em in a shallow layer on a roasting pan and cook (or broil) on high heat for a few (20 or so) minutes to give the meat some "crispies," like you get at the best taquerias. Pork shoulder is so cheap at Carnicerias (mexican butchers), you could feed 10 people for like $10.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 11:00 pm

Thanks for the tips! I will make sure he sees your post cos we did it in the slow cooker this time and he said he was trying a stove top stew method next time.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 12:27 am

Paynes is indeed a mustard based slaw. I believe I asked them when I was down at Goner fest 1 last year. Love Dyers! Shame about the price. Where did they move?
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 8:36 am

Finally for my big finale, I challenge any Argentinian

funny you mention a country my blond friend with a Barbara Striesand smile and a Aretha Franklin circa '66 ass just got back from the land of mind game tango and she said the coffee was the best she has ever tasted.
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 9:17 pm

PAYNE'S SLAW SECRET

I ate lunch at Payne's today w/ King Louie and the lovely Rebecca. Delish! THey didn't have ribs, so Rebecca and I had the hot chopped pork and Louie had bologna and we all shared a hot sausage.

Anyway.... since I've already told Eric the secret.... I will tell you now --- the secret to Payne's slaw is SIMPLE:

it is hot dog mustard (the kind in the big pumps at stadiums and ball parks) and pickle relish. no mystery. now if you want some slaw.... shred your cabbage, dump ball park mustard and pickle relish in it until you get the mustard-y level you like
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 10:40 pm

All I gotta say is YOU BETTER BE RIGHT and if you are, god bless you!
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 12:34 am

i finally made it to PAYNE'S for lunch today too! it was fucking great! i had a mild pork sandwich, followed by a hot sandwich, and an apple tart. the place is fantastic! and the dining room is like a goddamn gym.
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 12:56 am

I already done told you folks this shit.
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 1:54 am | Edited by: Hugh Jass

During the Gonerfest I ate at Payne's, Interstate, and A&R. Here's how I rate 'em.

For VALUE, I gotta give the nod to Interstate. The sauce is a little too salty and it's not very spicy, but the meat is great (I got chopped pork) and they give you a ton of it. So for the money, this is really are a great place to go.

A&R has pretty unimpressive sauce, but the meat may have been even better than Interstate (chopped pork.)

Payne's was my overall fave as far as flavor. I had both chopped and sliced pork sandwiches. The meat was excellent and the slaw and sauce were out of the world. My only gripe is the prices are a little higher than the other 2 places, considering their sandwiches are about 1/2 the size as Interstate's.

Has anyone tried Tastee BBQ down by the airport? The sign says "best in Memphis." They can't say that if it's not true, can they?

it is hot dog mustard (the kind in the big pumps at stadiums and ball parks) and pickle relish. no mystery. now if you want some slaw.... shred your cabbage, dump ball park mustard and pickle relish in it until you get the mustard-y level you like
Do you mean the brown spicy mustard, e.g. Gulden's, or do you mean the yellow stuff like French's? You see both at the ball game.
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 2:18 am

The sign says "best in Memphis." They can't say that if it's not true, can they?

Welcome to Memphis.
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 7:01 pm

when i ate pork, it was payne's. but it's been a minute. shit was good. my dad and i used to eat at interstate all the time though and i quite liked it. has anyone ever dared to try the bbq spaghetti there? i've always been a little bit scared to...
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 8:31 pm

There is this foodie blogger here in Portland who considers himself the expert bar none on all things food, but esp. BBQ. He is the most annoying, self-important jerkoff of all time. He is like the comic book store character on The Simpson's, but regarding food.

Well, he goes on these BBQ tours and blogs about them. He went to Memphis, didn't go to Cozy Corner OR Payne's and proceeds to blog ad nauseum about how Memphis "'Que'" (I hate when people say 'Que'--it sounds like "tats" or "Tude") is "totally overrated" and "disgusting". Oh yeah, and how racist places like Germantown Commissary and other Southern restuarants with whites up front and blacks in the kitchen are. I tried to set him straight but you can't tell the guy nothing.
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 8:33 pm

There's blacks in the kitchen???
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 9:16 pm

theresa's sayin' its the yellow hot dog mustard.

Interstate is a ways away, but they do serve beer.

A&R's beans are amazing.

Paynes is a converted garage, with the bay doors bricked-in.

Kosta had some great shots of interior of payne's from the 1st gonerfest... eerily devoid of peoples.
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 11:57 pm

has anyone ever dared to try the bbq spaghetti there? i've always been a little bit scared to...
I had the bbq spaghetti as a side dish with my pork sandwich on Monday. It was just noodles and bbq sauce. It is was it is. If that sounds good to you, you'll probably like it. However, let's just say the noodles are well past "al dente." You can also get that stuff as a main dish, which comes with bbq pork in it. I bet that would be pretty damn good.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:41 am

Kosta had some great shots of interior of payne's from the 1st gonerfest... eerily devoid of peoples.

i wanna see that! took some pix of louie & rebecca in payne's the other day - no one there but us - but some folks came in at one point and took out food while we were there... they may have ended up in the picture...
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 6:18 am

i was alone in there too. shit. now i am back in new york and i'm dying for another payne's sandwich...
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:26 pm

No love for the BBQ Shop? In Midtown and serves beer? Blacks in front and back? Front of house guy Eric is the nicest guy in Memphis? Best Ribs South of the Bootheel? Texas Toast?
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:39 pm

tops is definately the dog food version. it's chopped really tiny and it tastes like there's bones in it or something.

i agree with the chopped real tiny, and the mysterious bone fragments, but the meat tasted good, and the baked beans are KILLER!

central had good meat, but the sauces were a little lackluster. i mixed the two kinds they had and added a little hot sauce, and it was very good. but the meat was DELICIOUS! too many hippies and white people in general in there.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:51 pm

no one there but us

i was alone in there too.

That's funny because all the times I've ever been to Paynes, I'm the only customer, or whatever group of folks I'm with are the only customers in the place. Is only one party allowed into Paynes at a time? I am sensing a budding urban legend. I'm not sure of the scope of this yet. Someone should investigate this.

No love for the BBQ Shop? In Midtown and serves beer? Blacks in front and back? Front of house guy Eric is the nicest guy in Memphis? Best Ribs South of the Bootheel? Texas Toast?

I got much love for them. Eric IS the nicest guy in Memphis. You just get a jumbo pork on texas toast, smother it with extra sauce and dry rub, and you've got one of the greatest things ever.

And Jacks Rib Shack consistently has the best dry ribs in Memphis. I just eat a slab for two and give my sides away. Fuckin great.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:55 pm

That's funny because all the times I've ever been to Paynes, I'm the only customer, or whatever group of folks I'm with are the only customers in the place. Is only one party allowed into Paynes at a time?

I think it has something to do with the vicious stares coming from the porches on Seattle Street. They must be controlling customers with their gaze.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

BBQ shop on Madison. Best sauce on Texas toast!
Posted: Oct 17, 2005 8:30 pm

Any Goners ever eat at the Dixie Pig in Blytheville AK? That's my favorite. They have a little twist on the normal Memphis bbq sandwich. Number one, the slaw is a vinegar slaw, no mayo. Cabbage, salt, pepper, sugar vinegar. Number two, no sauce. That's right, no sauce. They bottle their own vinegar based hot sauce, very vinegar-y and not too hot. Top's is ok if you're in a hurry or other places are closed. It's a bitch to find good pig in Texas, I'm slowly indoctrinating my friends. Btw, what's the name of the bbq place on Elvis Preslet blvd about a mile or two from Graceland? Good stuff, good REALLY messy sandwich (lots of sauce and mayo slaw) and KILLER fried sweet potato pie.
Posted: Oct 17, 2005 8:53 pm

carney-
next time you end up that hell called Blytheville, check out the Kreme Kastle drive in. I like the que better than the Dixie Pig and a similar "sauce". I grew up on both and love both sandwiches better than any here in Memphis, but I think the result of familiarity.

How could i forget about the bar at the BBQ Shop? How many of you old time Memphis goners are laminated on that thing? (I know it wasn't original to the Shop but they kept it. It's worth going just to look at it).
Posted: Oct 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Oh yeah, for you KFC slaw lovers, their recipe/technique is real simple. I used to work at one about 20 years ago. Whole heads of cabbage, carrots and onions thrown into a Buffalo chopper. It's a big round hinged bowl thing with a big ass rotaing blade. You turn a big crank around threeor four times PRESTO! instant slaw. The slaw dressing is mayo based, thinned with vinegar with a healthy dose of salt and sugar. Two much salt makes yo slaw all watery as it draws the moisture out of the vegetables.
Posted: Oct 20, 2005 8:02 pm

I brought some visiting friends to Payne's a few weeks ago, and we were that single occupied table. But the angry glares from the residents on Seatlle St. and the rough looking surroundings were forgotten as soon as they bit into the spicy ribs.

The Brits are right on about the BBQ shop, it was awesome. After way too many years of driving passed it, I finally tried the near perfect ribs at the Germantown Commissary. Highly reccommended and worth the trip, even if you live in Midtown.
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 8:32 pm

I have to agree with a couple other posters in here...My favorite place to eat BBQ is a place called Morris's BBQ and Deli...It's at the corner of Macon and Pisgah Rd out past Cordova... I live in downtown Memphis so I have to pass alot of BBQ joints before I get to Morris's, but believe me it's worth it.... Don't expect a restaurant to sit down and eat in. There are no chairs or tables.. It's just a to-go place...No ribs either.. He just serves the best BBQ shoulder sandwich in Memphis... You might want to call ahead to make sure he even has BBQ that day... It's nothing special to look at on the outside...but on the inside is my all time favorite BBQ.. I did a side by side comparison one day with shoulder meat from Cozy Corner, Neely's, Interstate and Morris's BBQ and to me there is no comparison.. Morris's won hands down... Morris's BBQ 755-5804
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 10:06 am

Morris\'s is definately worth checking out. Its in the sticks though... well the sticks that are left out there since they are building a shit ton of cheap suburbian housing out there now. Payne\'s is my favorite within close proximity. Question, is the Payne\'s on Elvis Presley owned by the same people or is it different?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®