Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Alright, Fess Up!
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 9:59 pm

Posted: Aug 9, 2005 10:00 pm

He wouldn't shut up.
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 10:36 pm

No longer Walking in Memphis, I guess. Couldn't resist...
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 11:28 pm

So how long before this shows up on 20/20 with his wife and John Stossel uncovering some expose on carjacking?
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 3:42 pm

So, Sam...
How often do they use that "City of New Orleans" train song for commercials in your town?
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 3:48 pm

I hear it occasionally on the oldies station. other than that, never. there are enough songs with "new orleans" in them to avoid resorting to folk music.

I want to carjack Arlo Guthrie.

So how long before this shows up on 20/20 with his wife and John Stossel uncovering some expose on carjacking?

that's hilarious because on some news show yesterday I saw this: "this musician was shot during a carjacking in denver, colorado. Do you know what to do to survive a carjacking? Tune in at 10:00 to find out."
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 3:56 pm

So did you watch it? How do you survive a carjacking? I've been watching too many cartoons lately, and I hate to admit it, but I'd think handing the assailant a cake with dynamite candles wouldn't work out as well...
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 4:01 pm

I didn't watch it. If the engine's running, my plan is always just "floor it". otherwise, I guess I'm fucked.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 4:28 pm

some old dude in memphis just took his carjackers to the bank, waited until dude was looking the other way, then shot him 6 times with a 357 he had under the seat. great pic of him still in his hairnet from his job

http://mas.scripps.com/MCA/2005/08/09/10bank2_e.jpg

story here http://commercialappeal.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_3990677,00.html
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:06 pm

http://mas.scripps.com/MCA/2005/08/09/10bank2_e.jpg

If I were watching this on the evening news, I'd say, to no one in particular, "nice shower cap, asshole."

enough songs with "new orleans"

I just realized this weekend that the Doobies' Old Black Water/Funky Dixieland is about New Orleans. It's time to move.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:09 pm

Is he flipping me off Limey-style?
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:19 pm

i think he's in between the 2nd & third bullets in his story.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:31 pm

touchdown
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:45 pm

Oh my god. That guy is so old school Memphis, it is ridiculous. The shower cap, the rheumy eyes, the city job coveralls...wow!

Love the "Guy in the Background" too.

I miss y'all.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 3:36 pm

I just realized this weekend that the Doobies' Old Black Water/Funky Dixieland is about New Orleans. It's time to move.

You got that song stuck in my head. I sang it to 16 this morning. I love it.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 3:59 pm

All the Bob Seger posting last week caused all sorts of hell in my head.

Katherine's first time taking the SATs, there was a question about Katmandu and she got the Seger song stuck in her head soooooo bad she couldn't concentrate. She ended up walking out early and forfeiting the whole exam.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 4:10 pm

I apologize profusely about the Katmandu thing. I was only wanting to remember Mask, the deformed school nerd, his slutty mom, and her biker friends.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 4:26 pm

Oh, the SAT thing was years ago.

And I like Seger. A lot.

And Cher. Man, she is HOT.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 7:01 pm

Walking in Memphis

I always thought that was Michael Bolton. Sucks either way.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 7:53 pm

I thought it was John Hiatt. Guess that means I can take him off of my asassination list. What the fuck is with the line "Standing with my feet 10 feet off of beale"
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 7:55 pm

Oh, no, no. John Hiatt is fair game. I've often thought of him as the "I'm supposed to like him because he taught John Lennon to play harmonica" guy.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Hiatt is the "Memphis Thing" guy, right?

Maybe put him down as "hunt with crossbow"....
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 8:13 pm

Hiatt is "Memphis in the Meantime".

I used to think that 'Walking in Memphis' line was 'standing with my feet and feats off of Beale.' duh.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 8:15 pm

Who's the Memphis Thing guy?
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 8:18 pm

Rob Junklas maybe?
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 8:21 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

O.k., Alisa, thanks. I'll put him down for "Razor Blades, if provoked", then. You know, I'm trying to be a little nicer...
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 8:25 pm

Yeah, it's him. Rob JunGklas, before he turned all moody and atmospheric.
Nice Jack...
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 8:34 pm

I used to think that 'Walking in Memphis' line was 'standing with my feet and feats off of Beale.' duh.

Me too! I just found out a couple of months ago what he was really saying.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 9:22 pm

Nice to know I'm not the only one. My little one did the song in a chorus program last year, and came home with the lyric sheet. He got a big kick out of what a dolt I was when I told him what I thought it was. 'Ma, that just doesn't make sense!'
I'm cursing now, though. THAT damned song is stuck in my head!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®