Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Malls. In your lifetime. In Memphis.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 6:29 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

What was your favorite, and why?

- The Mall of Memphis was called the Mall of Murder, yet, it consistently held the title of "place to be" for ameteur hockey, after hours.

- The Raleigh Springs Mall was the first place I ever saw with a video game ('78?). Sea Wolf!

- The Factory Outlet Mall, still around, and resembles the Atlanta aiport, somewhat.

- Oak Court. Snobby bitches. But had an awesome International Gay "Hook-Up in the bathrooms behind the Disney store" reputation.

- Hickory Ridge peaked and faded around the time the band Asia was really getting big.

There are others. Lots of others.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 4:06 pm

Oak Court is a changin' on the weekends. It is full of gangsters and their hoes. I am saying this because this is how they dress and act.

And even though it is snobby, I find that during the week, there are very few children and/or teens running about.

Mall of Memphis was good until there were no stores at all in the building. I could always count on good deals, cause well I dress different from most of the shoppers.

Raleigh Springs Mall = cheap gold teeth, if you happen to need some. I got some weird looks last time I went there. I actually had a vendor there tell me that I should not be buying gold teeth, and should go because it was getting dark.

I fear for the Hickory Ridge mall. I do have great memories of those spinning cups.

And you left out Saddle Creek, some may not count this as it is outdoors, but they have an apple and sharper image store, which lead to trying out lots of gagets and getting in the massage chairs. Crazy drivers out there, watch out!

And Wolfchase, by far the worst abomination to grace the earth as it rises above the great white crosses of Bellevue.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 5:27 pm

Who can forget Southland and Southbrook Malls?!?!?!?!

Southland--Saw the Jackson 5 at an instore in '71 or '72.

Southbrook--Adorable stone scuptures of animals like llamas and giraffes that you could "ride" as a kid.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 6:05 pm

BELZ FACTORY OUTLET.
Mad discounts on Bugle Boy gear.
Pottery Barn, Hello.

the fountains in the Raleigh Springs in the eighties. very cool stuff. now that I think about it the old fountains on the Mid America Mall were great too.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 6:10 pm

International Gay "Hook-Up in the bathrooms behind the Disney store"

Wha??

Hickory Ridge had the only arcade I knew of w. '720.' Perfect Saturday=getting dropped off, Chick-Fil-A 6 pack, and a pocket full of quarters.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:09 pm

Wha??

It's true. Big scandall like back in '95, '96.

As for Arcades, I was trying to remember the names of them for each mall;
Raleigh Springs was Sultan's Castle
Mall of Memphis was Goldmine
Don't remember the names of Hickory Ridge or Factory Outlet...
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:21 pm

I believe there was an arcade in the Hickory Ridge Mall called "Tilt" -- and I think there were actually two arcades in that mall (I don't recall the name of the other one).
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:24 pm

i was working at Towery when that Oak Court Mall bathroom got busted- they did a sting (?) operation and arrested like 60 people- including Swedish tourists!
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:28 pm

Justin, was Tilt by the Food Court?

The irony of the oak court thing was that it was around the same time the Southern Baptist Convention (just before they moved from Memphis to Atlanta) wanted to put a ban on Disney vacations because they were sympathetic to gays.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:29 pm

Oooh I didn't know tourists were involved. Nice. Pimpin' mall bathrooms.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:35 pm

Sultan's Castle in RS Mall had 720 too. And fuckin' Rampage!!!
That mall was the place to be for metal-head raleigh kids! I don't know how many times we got kicked outta there just for wearing black t-shirts and smoking. Too cool!
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:39 pm

That mall was the place to be for metal-head raleigh kids!

You ain't lyin'.
I think I had the high score on Tempest for like an entire summer.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:40 pm

from cruisingforsex.com

Memphis (October 21, 2000)

Oak Court Mall. "The police have busted twenty nine guys over three days at the restroom here after complaints and mall security's request for help from the police. Police quoted as saying their Quality of Life Task Force will continue until 'cleaned up', TV news report even mentioned that the men were finding the place by using the Internet and although they did not mention it by name, they read the description word for word that is posted on cruisingforsex.com."

Memphis (November 11, 2000)

Oak Court Mall. "There were about thirty arrests there recently, everyone in town was talking about it."
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 8:41 pm

I can't believe you found that.
That's funny as hell.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 1:53 am

I've written this story before, on this very forum, but local MIA multiform casualty Jason Rhea and myself were exiting the Hickory Ridge Mall annex w/dates in tow...we were 16 or 17....when a truckbed full of shirtless metalheads rolled past. One screamed, "I WAS IN REHAB WITH THAT DUDE!!!!" Jason, who had recently escaped from THREE, count 'em, THREE, different rehabs, in as many months, tried to convince our company that they were referring to me, which was impossible at that point....at that point, I must add.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 2:24 am | Edited by: rocknrollnurse

Hickory Ridge had a Tommy pinball machine that was great..the accompanying music was really The Who...the problem was the mall was really kinda creepy.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 3:01 am

Man, you want to see creepy? Go to the Hickory Ridge Mall now.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 3:02 am

The carousel cries.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 9:03 am

I heard they're having a sale at the Oak Court Mall.

Men's Pants, Half Off!!!
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 4:47 pm | Edited by: TheMalevolentOne

The Southland Mall has been ghetto since 1988. I went shopping there for shoes with my mom back then one day then because they always had deals on the stuff they would order but could never sell to the locals, which was anything BUT K-Swiss and basketball shoes. Air Jordan release dates were pandemonium.

My mom was freaked by the scene there and said she would never go there again. The same day she said this, there was shooting reported in the parking lot reported on the news 6:00 pm news. We missed the action by about 15 minutes.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 11:14 pm

Raleigh Springs still has a piece of my heart. I can't believe I convinced my ma to just drop me there for eight hours at a time when I was in Jr. High. Spencer's was the coolest shit ever...all those nasty little novelties...guys peeing in little plastic outhouses and a black light in the store! Just looked longingly at the Arcade there...those boys in there were so rough!
As a borderline agoraphobic I only shopped there until a couple of years ago. Still felt safe amid all those gold teeth. And, I still go to Sears there.
Also, spent many, many high school nights sitting on the hood of my car across the street at McDonalds.
Remember the Fare Four? I think that was what it was called. No, wait...maybe that was the movie theatre next to the huge food court next to Skateland on Summer. What was the food court called?

If hell exists it is Wolfchase.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 3:03 am

Southland is the prime example of the Ghetto Mall. When I first moved to Portland, this guy here told me he wanted a gold tooth (which he now has) but that they were too expensive. I looked at him all puzzled like and told he should just "go to the ghetto mall".

He told me recently that he had no idea what I was talking about (you see, PORTLAND HAS NO GHETTOS nor BLACK PEOPLE or certainly not enough to support a mall).
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 3:14 am

But look- I bet Portland can compete with these numbers- from a Wendi C Thomas recent column:

"More than 25,000 black families in Memphis make more than $50,000 a year; another 10,000 earn between $40,000 and $50,000."

Doesn't that seem low, even for Memphis? 400, 000 black folks, according to 2000 census...

though i guess the other 200,000 folks make for the good gold-tooth Ghetto Malls...

here's the link to her column bemoaning that her black middle class is being ignored by Craig Brewer:
http://commercialappeal.com/mca/news_columnists/article/0,1426,MCA_646_3953471,00.html
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 3:27 am

That woman is such a twit. She reminds me of Oprah.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 3:43 am

She is worse than Oprah. If such a thing is possible!

And really, what is $40K between Mom, Dad and 2-to-4 kids? Scraping by, Wendi. Certainly not all that comfy.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 3:54 am

I admire her for going after the dumbass politicians pretty bluntly. No one else in town wants to do that. She is a major voice for a more responsible, more Oprah-like black (and not-black) Memphis population. I just thought there were more of them, and that the black middle class here was doing better.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 4:18 am

Perhaps she may be counting Memphis proper. Not sure. I have questions about that myself. I thought (I could totally be wrong), the 400,000 thousand number came from all of Shelby County. Don't know. I do know that Bartlett and East Shelby Co. is gaining a more affluent black community. 40-50K isn't unheard of, in terms of homeowners with fewer children. And I understand rent is being lowered somewhat for E. Shelby Co.
I have always thought ecconomics pretty much drive everything, instead of race. Malls and mega-churches lower property values in surrounding neighborhoods. Have-nots find opportunities as quickly as haves. Haves move out to where they can have more (under-developed, exclusive, and less taxed property). Have-nots move where they can have more (where the haves used to be). Some call this "white-flight", and in many facets of the Memphis Gem, this is true; every person, no matter the color however, looks for opportunity.
I will probably get beat up over this.

I digress. This is about Arcades in Malls. In Memphis.
Anyway, Raleigh Springs Mall Sultan's Castle; we might have been mean looking, but we'd share a coke with most over a Slayer tape stollen from Camelot Music.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 6:43 am

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 8:04 am

I used to rock some "Battle Zone" at Factory Outlet, too. I later worked there at said Bugle Boy Outlet. Some kid shit in the black, faded irregulars he tried on, and the Mom put 'em back on the rack.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 2:39 pm

Some kid shit in the black, faded irregulars he tried on, and the Mom put 'em back on the rack.

That belongs in the record store thread.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 2:50 pm

sorry for sidetracking the thread. just sayin... TAX THE CHURCHES. end of problems.

Battle Zone ruled at the time, but what a dull game. i did love the volcanoes in the distance.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 8:16 pm

TAX THE CHURCHES

An excellent idea. Especially considering churches outnumber gas stations 3:1 in Memphis.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 9:35 pm

The churches are one of the few things keeping people in line here, so I'd leave them alone. The revenue would just be more money in car allowances for the jerkoffs in city hall and MLGW. Church youth programs keep a few of those buggers out of juvie.

Jack Stands, your idea makes sense. It's really more of a class issue than race. People live where they want to, usually alongside their own kind. If you make enough money and don't act a fool, race is not an issue.
Posted: Jul 29, 2005 10:09 pm

I don't know about churches keeping kids in line. The church my dad goes to had more f'ups than the public schools. Or maybe they just got caught at it. I find it funny that I was going to hell for not converting to their religion, but their kids we out doing drugs, getting knocked up, and in trouble all the time.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®