Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / U R wrong about Murphy's!
Posted: Jul 26, 2005 5:42 am

Sound:

BRAND NEW Yamaha emx5000-12 powered mixer (1000 watts)
JBL mains and B/W 18" subs
Killer E/V industry standard monitor wedges plus Yamaha wedges
New Shure mics as well as E/V's

The reason for the rental fee was because of the sound system being trashed on a routine basis. Ask Glen Camack of Speaker Services how much money has been spent on repairs. As for the engineer, your comments are understandable to a degree.
Benny Carter has a long heritage in the Memphis music scene dating back to the early Eighties (Panther Burns, Metro Waste- performed with Cordell Jackson, Barbara Pittman, Alex Chilton, The Hellcats, James Eddie Campbell, Johnnie Singer, Father Square) and he has always been on the side of the musician. If he wasn't performing at the Antenna Club, he was helping the McGehee's run the place.
Obvioulsly, there are misinformed individuals who are taking sides where there should be no sides to take. Murphy's has continuously striven to provide diverse entertainment and the opportunities TO perform in a friendly and comfortable environment and wishes only the best for Memphis Music, period.
Murphy's AND it's crew hold no ill contempt and wish no harm as to individuals or businesses. It's the same cool place to see great live music, if not cooler these days featuring free wireless internet access as well as a downloadable digital jukebox.
Don't believe the slander of a few haters- they are WRONG!
As for lawsuits, when business agreements are breached litigation will almost always follow. And as for slandering and trying to run some one out of business, I think this message board proves the real story on that!
Posted: Jul 26, 2005 10:38 am

who needs murphy's when we have the celtic cockring? i love paying over-inflated prices for mediocre food and service.
Posted: Jul 26, 2005 10:55 pm

sorry dude...but murphy's still sucks.
Posted: Jul 26, 2005 11:19 pm

sorry dude but you suck. Murphy's is one of the few places in town that will let amateurs like me and you and whomever else book a show at the drop of a hat. Sure it's a dive, but that's how it's supposed to be. Where would you rather go? Dish?
Posted: Jul 26, 2005 11:26 pm | Edited by: muddy spear

How does it suck?
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 12:35 am

i have never had such a horrible evening , as the one i spent with my beautiful intended at that shell of a hovel you so lovingly call "murphy's".
the patrons are dirty , the bar is filthy, the food is to die from, and the staff is comprised of ill mannered nair do wells. rudeness ,,,they've got it.
apathy...served in a warm mug..filled with room temperature beer. argh...what a crappy place...
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 4:28 am

sounds like you got dumped there max- maybe one of the nair do wells ran off with her!
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 9:28 am

the one and only could only be one person. hmmm, i wonder who.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 3:09 pm

maximillian, you're posting on the Goner Forum. Home of swamp rock and pit sweat.

Also, Nair is a hair removal product. The word you want is ne'er. Contracted from never.

Never-do-wells.

Ne'er-do-wells.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 3:12 pm

This bar sounds great!!! Stay home next time, max, i don't think you'll be missed.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 3:50 pm

What bar in Memphis is not dirty?
The Deli, dirty
The P&H, dirty
E&H, dirty
Have not been to the 2 way in a while, but it was dirty the last time I was there
Hi-tone might be a little cleaner at the beginning of the night, but by the end, dirty.
The Buc, dirty.
Pho Bin, dirty, but the food is good, it is a restaurant -n- all, just don't look at the kitchen.
If it was clean, I am not sure it could be a place for rock music.
As a rule of thumb, fine cuisine should not be expected at bars that don't brew their own beer.
Also, the darker the bar, and more beer (warm or not same effect) you drink, the more you forget about the dirt.
As a matter of fact, warm beer might get you more intoxicated faster (if you can drink it).
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 4:57 pm

haven't been to GPAC in a while, but judging from their budget woes, neither has anyone else.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 4:57 pm

so, probably clean.
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 5:35 pm

I love the fact at murphy's you are at risk of getting yelled at or physically threatened by the owner at any given time...
Posted: Jul 27, 2005 5:41 pm

Only dog friendly bar in Memphis? Granted, he had to stay in the pool room, but it was still better than the sub-zero icy wastes of the parking lot. And Jeff Novak, the Catholic Boys and the Tanlines were too loud for him.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 6:33 pm

Hey, I heard the Blue Monkey is clean.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 7:35 pm

their beer is lukewarm at best...and the owners antics are unbearable.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 7:44 pm

Hey, I heard the Blue Monkey is clean

and the crawfish bisque is quite tasty.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 9:47 pm

Coming soon: Goner Fest at The Blue Monkey (a.ka. The Blunky) Dave Matthews Tribute band will be there!
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 9:55 pm

MIKE CONDON FOR PRESIDENT!
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 10:20 pm

GPAC aint got shit on Morgan Woods. that place is (was) perfect for shows. I saw a production of pippin there that was dirtier than the zippin pippin. oh and i bet jim cried a shitload there.
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 11:51 pm

KEEP IT UP BEN-JAMIN!
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 4:22 am | Edited by: Bloody Drucifer

Fuck Benny Carter with a syphalitic donkey's dick.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 4:28 am

I liked it better when new registrations for the board were closed
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 5:04 am | Edited by: Bloody Drucifer

Sorry Dude,

If you hadn't replied, the post would have faded into history; I'm just adding to an old conversation.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 3:36 pm

great bands play at murphys, and they serve beer. what\'s to whine about????
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Great bands?!?!?
you mean like:

TRUE SONS OF THUNDER
COCOCOMA
THE MANS

At Murphy's this Saturday July 22nd....
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 6:27 pm

I love to party at Murphy's
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 6:52 pm

I love to murphys at parties.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 9:41 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Where would you rather go? Dish?

HAH! Murphy's has always been where everybody's gone to and had a good time. It's one of the places in Midtown, like the P&H, where the drunks, punks, metalheads, granolas, college kids and the Midtown gentrifiers get loaded togther with very little attitude and scenester BS.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 9:58 pm

and the curtains
tanlines
noise choir
secret service!!!!!!!!!!

i've always had fun playing there, too.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:15 pm

I've met some of my favorite people and had some fun-as-hell drunken nights at Murphy's - and I don't even live in Memphis! Dirty stinking dive bars with good live music are where it's at!!
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:23 pm

point this maxipadamill out to me i wanta throw a big old dirt bomb at em and welcome him to THE DIRTY SOUTH!!!!!!!FUCKIN DOUCHE
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:50 pm

there was this song bitch about a blow jobTHAT RINGS TRUE HERE PUNKS no punks that have nothin to do butt bitch about sombody no anybodys choice can in EBAOLA words GET ON THE BUS AND GO FN HOME
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:53 pm

CHECK THIS ONE at the murff sat
bite me grudgers!!!!!
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 1:51 am

I'm just glad somebody thought to save the Antenna's sign...
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:11 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Where would you rather go? Dish?

low blow - dude...

I know of at least one first you had at dish!!
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:31 am

who needs murphy's when we have the celtic cockring? i love paying over-inflated prices for mediocre food and service.

wha? were did that come from?
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:36 am

what the hell happened? what spawned this thread?
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:39 am

Another thread.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 9:03 am

i concur
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Celtic Crossing has become a total date rapist assbag upturned collar loudass garbage alt rock oasis of shit. Burn it down.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 3:50 pm

I'm INTENSE.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 3:58 pm

like I said...

flying saucer midtown
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:38 pm

i dunno... i only went to the celtic onion for world cup games and it was fine... specially with brazilian nuts dancing samba at 9:30 am... didn't get dateraped at all.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:41 pm

E., I think it depends on the time of day you're there.
It can be relatively laid-back during daylight hours.
At night it can resemble the Blue Monkey on meth.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:44 pm

yeah, daytime seems ok

night time?

I'm not really going to burn anything down, except racial barriers.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:45 pm

I only went there one time. Beef-stew-thing-on-a-plate was pretty good. Red-headed bartendress was funny and nice. Any other tme I've walked past, U2 was playing.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Loud. So loud.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 7:08 pm

I love Murphy's, it's a great place.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 8:49 pm

fuck McApplebees
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 8:55 pm | Edited by: elle

i didn't mind the celtic crossing for brunch. they had a band playing irish folk songs and pretty good food. i stay steer clear from it at night though cuz the patrons are generally annoying and they play u2, coldplay, and b.s. like that constantly. ugh.

i happen to like murphy's and the people that work there. i don't really eat there a lot, but i don't really go to eat at the hi tone either. you go there for rock 'n' roll and beer, not ambiance and fine dining. durrrrr.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 9:27 pm

you no likey the ultimate grilled cheese???
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 9:48 pm

fries at the hitone rule
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 9:59 pm

i've never eaten the grilled cheese, dan. i probably would like it cuz i love me some grilled cheese. mmmm. now you've done it, dan. i'm hungry and i have an hour before i can go eat with my dad. grrr. hahah.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 10:32 pm

Red-headed bartendress was funny and nice.

I'm a fan. She knows me as "Tenant's" and always skips the madras shorts kids to serve me.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 11:52 pm

just got home from there loud nasty and kinda funky
what the f would want more
the AC still works
sat at midnight all is done!!!!! TSOT
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 11:53 pm

OH YEA!!! BY THERE i MEANT murphys
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®