Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jun 25, 2005 11:37 pm

I'm mad as hell, and I guess I'm just going to take it some more. The House appropriations committee voted last week to cut 55% of current funding to Amtrak. The full House "takes it up" on Wednesday. Amtrak says that it "not only prevents the continued operation of long-distance trains like the City of New Orleans...it effectively derails all service."

The train is the most fun way to travel. This means the great route from New Orleans to Memphis to Chicago will be shut down. I've had some of the best times I've ever had on the train between these cities. My dream trip is to travel from Memphis to NYC w/a sleeper car. I do love the train. And, KEERIST!!...they're talking about the total end of long-distance passenger rail traffic in the good old USofA.

Isn't it odd that the "beautifully renovated" Central Station will be out of business if this happens? Gentrified shops and more condos acoss from the Arcade, anyone think? Or, another amusement park?

ugh. I'm really mad about this.
Posted: Jun 25, 2005 11:47 pm

City of New Orleans train was slated to go three years ago, and it ain't happened yet.
Posted: Jun 26, 2005 12:12 am

Yeah, I know. I hold out hope that someone will come to their senses...again. I don't really know how they could get away with it - ending long distance passenger rail. But "it effectively ends all service..."? Is this just yakyak proproganda from Amtrak?
I'm just disgusted with the regieme. Homeland Security, the war, and now the end of the passenger trains...I'm sick of scare tactics politics.
Posted: Jun 27, 2005 5:14 pm

This is a classic case of a badly run government/corporate entity. Maybe this will give us a crack at laying down some of those bullet trains/tracks the rest of the world has had for over 20 years.

I like train travel too, the odd routing as well as exploring great train stations. Some of the best architecture in North America. Denver and Chicago are my favorite stations.
Posted: Jun 27, 2005 5:31 pm

The Natural History Museum of Cincinnati as well as the Cincinnati Historical Society and IMAX are in Union Station. It's pretty amazing. I guess if you were traveling through Cincy by train in the 1950s, you would probably be mislead into beleiving it was a pretty cool place.
Or maybe it was back then...

I don't know where the trains go there now. Probably some shit hole that looks like a bus terminal/Chicago Midway airport circa 1998.
Posted: Jun 27, 2005 9:42 pm

I like looking in the backyards of America on the train line. And some of the weirdest and most fascinating conversations I've ever had have been with a bunch of drinking smokers in the "smoking lounge." Strange, strange stories.
Guess I'll just have to hope for the best. Those bullet trains would be great, but I can't believe it's ever going to happen.
Or, light rail to the suburbs here. Why in the world the trolley can run up Madison to Cleveland (?? Cleveland??- with talk of a Cooper Young route) but something as sensible as light rail is not considered is beyond me.
Posted: Jun 27, 2005 9:46 pm

The MAX light rail system here is great and provides many opportunities for meth-dealing crosstown and drunken brawls...all of which get caught on camera and broadcast First on Fox nightly at 10PM.
Posted: Jun 28, 2005 2:52 pm

Is this just yakyak proproganda from Amtrak?

It's possible. I magazine I work for has an Amtrak ad in their debut issue, so it's obviously not going to happen any time real soon. However, I do recall them having problems getting the art work to us because they just fired everyone int he creative department or something like that, so it sounds like unless things really start looking up that it might be coming to an end.

What's next, Greyhound?

Probably.
Posted: Jun 28, 2005 5:11 pm

im riding the amtrak from new orleans to memphis july 1st. let me know if you are on the train ill get your cooter browned.
Posted: Jun 28, 2005 5:17 pm

i love that train. did the whole "jump on a moving train" thing one morning at 6:40 when they were trying to leave me... uh uh, conductor, get outta my way, i'm coming on!

pretty cool.
Posted: Jun 28, 2005 11:56 pm

The whole conductor thing is pretty cool...and the porters, or whatever they call them. Aforementioned stories from the smoking car include stories from those guys (with the worst ring around the collar ever seen!) talking about their laundry, and what it's like to live on the train for a week. Sounded mighty lovely to me. They looked pretty damned ragged, though.
Sorry, I don't know what "ill get your cooter browned" means. I'm an innocent.
But, light rail and crack and Fox News? Damn, I bet that'd really happen here with those Germantown and Collierville bozos! I'd LOVE to see that...
Posted: Jun 29, 2005 1:40 am

the gospel train?
Posted: Jun 29, 2005 3:09 am

the BRING ME TO JEEEESUS!!!! train!
Posted: Jun 30, 2005 12:50 pm

In the paper this morning...House voted in a "non-partisan show of support" (I didn't know those existed anymore!) to continue the funding. There was also the quote, "In Spain they have a better rail system than in the USA".
So, yep...!
Posted: Jun 30, 2005 3:08 pm

"In Spain they have a better rail system than in the USA".

Yeah, if you like EXPLODING trains. Jesus.
Posted: Jun 30, 2005 3:58 pm

i dont think i would be the man i am today if it wasnt for that train.
i will never forget the words of that attendant who announced , "Bruce Almighty is now playing in the lounge car."

One time on the way to New orleans someguys in front of me talked about velvet revolver for a couple hours.

Damn, I bet that'd really happen here with those Germantown and Collierville bozos!
Last i checked. We play for the same team. TENNESSEE.
Id like to see you call Freewheelin Frank a bozo to his face! And dont lump collierville and germantown together it just shows what little knowledge u have of the two completely different cultures. All u hippies can go eat a dick. Fuck this im going to CATs.
Posted: Jul 14, 2005 9:39 pm

Hey Alisa,
I'm sure you may have read this already, but, I thought it was neat.
Yep. Let's get some bands to go from New Orleans to Chicago...

http://www.memphisflyer.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A9710

Freewheelin' Frank? The T-shirt guy, or the Hells Angel?
Posted: Jul 15, 2005 3:18 pm

Thanks, Jack. I did read it and was saying "exactly!" Needless to say I was pretty happy about the restored funding. I do think you called that one!
Great idea...whenever the band train happens I am there.

And, uh, I thought Freewheelin' Frank WAS a hippie...the guy that had the head shop on Highland once upon a time? He's in Collierville now??
Posted: Jul 15, 2005 4:29 pm

the train tour would be HOTTT! Greenville! I love it!
Posted: Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

eric, this should be done. Call Amtrak, or something. Start in Memphis, go down to New Orleans, pick up bands and fans, ride up to Chi-town, do the same, back down to New Orleans, and start droppin' people off on the trek back north.

That would be fun as hell!
Posted: Jul 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Oh, and trust me on this one, Freewheelin' Frank is not a hippie.
Have you ever been to Eureka Springs, AR? It's a really neat town. But, all the stores/shops (on the surface) are owned by these throw-back hippie-types, who want you to feel the love, and buy their crystals of power. Truth is they jack up the prices of everything and are really pretty greedy.
So it is with Frank. Man, I could tell you some stories...
I don't know if he's out in Collierville, but I think the one on Germantown road, across from the old-folks-home is still around.
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 7:06 pm

Oh yeah, gotcha. Eureka Springs...Crescent Dragonwagon, and the like. Those hippies...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®