Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jun 8, 2005 7:51 pm

Hey everybody, I'm trying to put together a story for the Flyer's summer issue which is themed around the idea of "Be Cool" in both the literal and hipster sense of the words.

I'm asking lots of individuals about what cool means what they think is cool, and what they think is cool about Memphis. So why shouldn't I ask an entire online community of cool?

What does cool mean? Where can you get some? What are the best local examples of cool. And of course, whats so cool about the Goner site?

Yeah, I know. It's a little goofy--- but with a little help from the folks in Goner-land it could be a lot of fun.

Thanks y'all.
Posted: Jun 8, 2005 8:03 pm

Cucumbers and Fonzie.
Posted: Jun 8, 2005 10:02 pm

Well, that's a start. Both cool, I suppose although I've never been to sure about Mr. Winkler.
Posted: Jun 8, 2005 10:16 pm

The new Flyer interns. Nuff said.
Posted: Jun 8, 2005 10:25 pm

how about some nude triple 6 mafia ladies in a hot tub?

PROBLEM SOLVE! by DTRAIN!
Posted: Jun 8, 2005 11:00 pm

I hope this ain't gonna be as gay as that hottie issue shit ya'll did.

But if this shit is for real, here's my two cents on local cool:

The Vernon's at the BBQ shop
Boss Ugly Bob's
Wild Bill's
D'Angelo Williams
Antonio Burks
Juicy J
Tim Goodwin
that brother that played guitar for the Gamble Brothers for a few minutes
my livin room
Impala
Dixie Queen
The Joint Chiefs
The Summer Ave. Drive In
Space Age Pimpin'
Posted: Jun 9, 2005 12:48 am

Cool is a state of mind.

HAHAHAAHA. just kidding.

Cool is pretty much society's rebellious need to stay tied with youth, which we do by showing how we relate to new things. Of course, it's all relative and subjective. And that's why it remains so elusive. It's also a sense of superiority, yet it's shelf life is so short in this day and age, it's lost most of it's meaning. The real question is - what comes after cool?

it's a cycle that didn't seem to be around before american music - jazz, rockabilly, hippies, disco, gheighties, grunge, hipsters - so is it fair to say that all cool stems from jazz? hmmmmmmmmmm

Things I think are cool?

The Secret Service

Tuesday Nights at The Hi-Tone

The Buccaneer

Goner Records

Me
Posted: Jun 9, 2005 3:04 am

Definitely the Bucc and Goner, but don't forget about WEVL and an Angel Sluts show!
Posted: Jun 9, 2005 3:11 am

Cool Buds, Cool Breeze, and Cool Jerks.....
Posted: Jun 9, 2005 5:54 am

i am cool but ia m still not in memphis, but when i get back all hell id going to break lose
Posted: Jun 9, 2005 11:43 pm

I agree with Rachael on this one.

Here are my Fun picks:

Rangemaster

UT Memphis climbing wall

River City Tanlines

Final Solutions

The Pig BBQ on Beale

Salsa Night at the High Point Pub
Posted: Jun 10, 2005 10:13 pm

Midtown Livin'!

Kwik Check on Madison

Elvis - TCB

Memphis Trees

genuinely nice people, like Savana, she is cool

People who try to be cool, usually aren't.
Posted: Jun 11, 2005 3:04 pm

Nothin' hipper than Cooper-Young these days. Just check the COOL suburbanites crossin' the street in front of traffic thinkin they won't get flattened! That's cool!
Posted: Jun 13, 2005 8:37 pm

Hipsters do that, too, in some twisted sense they'll be able to quote Midnight Cowboy.
Posted: Jun 14, 2005 3:40 pm

saying 'dude' is cool. I seem to use it alot more when I'm sweating balls. saying "cool, dude" goes beyond just 'cool' and can only be 'overcooled' by saying it w. raybans and drinking a 64 oz. Tahitian Treat Big Gulp from the Tiger Market. like say you're getting back in your car at 4o'clock mid July in the parking lot @ Ike's and some dude wearing a painters cap and LA Gear hightops walks up to bum some change so he and his emaciated german shepard/beagle mix 'can get a lil' sumpn to eat.' So you make a show of digging around in the pocket to find like a few nickels, a paper clip, and an old Penny Pincher from the Pig for him. If he responds "cool, dude" you've hit the coolest karmic paydirt. "You got it man" is a probable response as you step inside your moltenlavahot two-door en route to the New Library.

Fun Dip is cool, too.
Posted: Jun 14, 2005 7:17 pm

I should add: contrary to what I just refuse to believe would be popular belief--If you have Ian McCulloch hair and are wearing cut off jeans and cowboy boots that look like they belonged to your daddy--You Do Not Look Cool. My apologies to the chinstrap I saw sporting this look yesterday. Please try again tomorrow.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 2:32 am

..of course if this were a girl istead of a dude I might just melt on the spot. Nowaddem, sayin', dude? Cool.

ok I'm done.

So, Do I get my picture in 'We Saw You' now??
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 9:23 pm

A cool moment all too typical of Memphis:

A certain very admired Memphis young man in a half-ass Flavor Flav costume for an APRIL (?!??!?!) 2000 costume party over on Edgewood, making the requisite Rite Aid Beer Run pre party. The piece de resistance of the costume was a clock literally the size of the one in your 8th grade homeroom around young man's neck. Coming back from the cooler, an old seen-it-ALL approximately 55 year old stone cold cool (once upon a time) wino yelps out upon site of this loveable wiseacre: "WHAT TIME IS IT!???!?!? HEHHEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!" a la Morris Day.

We were then rung up by the adorable Only-Black-Wu-Tang-Fan-in-Memphis, who had adorable cornrows before they were played out and a handcrafted huge gold WUTANG plate pendant. Gimme some Kools while you're at it, G.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 9:42 pm

MATAlac and I witnessed a wicked fight(crackheads, throatpunches, dogpiles, the works) in Bereket falafel on Houston St. a coupla years ago. The fight progressed it's way outside and onto the corner and inturn sparked a second brawl across the corner b/w people watching the initial brawl. 2 unrelated fistfights/brawls happening simultaneously on adjacent corners. We walked outside to watch the proceedings. Much ass got beat and while we watched some dude kept cruising through the crowd going "I got Kool cigarettes...5 dollas...Kool cigarettes 5 dollas!"
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 3:15 pm

"We Saw You" ain't been seen for about a year or so, so my guess would be no.
Perhaps Michel Donahue can hook you up, Matt.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:25 pm

certain very admired Memphis young man in a half-ass Flavor Flav costume

I think I've seen him in this very costume for the last two halloweens. Certainly gives the a man in a bushy black wig, fake Gallagher mustache and aviator sunglasses a run for his money in terms of longevity. Now that's COOL!
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:39 pm

man in a bushy black wig, fake Gallagher mustache and aviator sunglasses Shrews!?

Donahue owes me $10.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:55 pm

The "certain young man" definitely inspired some of my best costumes over the years. Blind item: Same certain young man appropriating a very realistic late 80's Nick Nolte look, complete with a Ziploc of "cocaine" stuffed in his breast pocket, accompanied by an angelic-voiced former Memphian as Stevie Nicks (or some other 70's beauty/coke fiend)...and tagging along was myself as a "Random Latina Coke Whore", complete with Jordache zippered mini skirt, pumps, a tattered Ungaro silk blouse and "cocaine" slathered all over my face.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 6:04 pm

Shrews!?

It's like the grown-out unkempt version of the hair he already has. He's just a few steps away from the person he's pretending to be, probably closer than he knows.

angelic-voiced former Memphian as Stevie Nicks

!!!
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 6:20 pm

just a few steps away from the person he's pretending to be,
makes me laugh+dare I say there's a little karaoke in all of us...or is it there's a little Latina cokewhore in all of us...they're so similar.
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 2:08 am

It was only one Halloween...and I almost shattered my elbow at that non-Halloween party. I fell from that exercise bike onto a random brick in the yard.
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 3:45 am

How did the exercise bike make it to the yard? I lost an $18K heirloom platinum/diamond/onyx Art Deco bracelet at that party. Well, it fell off and the dancing crushed 2 onyx links and 2 platinum/diamond links. I still get sick about that. Why I wore it to that mess (my costume that night was "Long Island Jewess"), I will never know.
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 4:07 am

Why I wore it to that mess (my costume that night was "Long Island Jewess"), I will never know.

I think maybe you're answering your own question?
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 4:48 am

This bracelet was more Long Island Old Money WASP than Jewess.
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 7:04 pm

Posted: Jun 17, 2005 7:15 pm

I think we need a moratorium on the word "hipster." 2 yrs minimum.
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 7:36 pm

Hey, Eric! Welcome to the Cool club!
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 8:50 pm

I tought to be a hipster you needed dark rimmed glasses?
Posted: Jun 17, 2005 9:25 pm

great. shit, if it helps goner, i'll pretend to be "cool."

but not a hipster.

the only time i had facial hair was in jail.

verrrry non-ironic.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 1:02 am

is it just me or is this rachelinthecity girl on everyone's last fing nerve? rachel if you're reading this, please give it a rest. sick of your commentary on everything memphis. if you ever take a picture of me while i'm out trying to enjoy some goddamn beer and music i will break your camera.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 2:57 am

That is the DUMBEST article I have ever read. ....And I'll read ANYTHING!! Jezus that was painfull!
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 9:46 am

god dammit that article was gayer than when scottie pippen got called for fouling hubert davis on a three point shot in the 94 playoffs. Fuck. it made my balls shrivel like the time i heard the rockout. fuck.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 9:48 am

eat a dick
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 4:13 pm

that was special.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 4:29 pm

"god dammit that article was gayer than when scottie pippen got called for fouling hubert davis on a three point shot in the 94 playoffs"

unreal that this is recalled. I watched every second of the Bulls that season on a black and white 8" screen TV in Chicago until my roommate tried to pull an intervention, saying it was "like a sickness...watching that much sports." UNCOOL.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 5:15 pm

I overheard some black girls making fun of that article in the back of my classroom,but I did'nt read it ,I was too busy reading my TEXTBOOK!I like Chris Davis cause he's funny, but the only importance that rag has ever had to offer was that John Waters article, and which bands are playing at the Buccaneer Lounge,or the Hi-Tone. FLY ON THE TURD! I came to the conclusion three years ago that most of the writing done at the memphis flyer is not so much informative, as it is EGOCENTRIC. Yoy write that shit so you can stroke your ego, and show all your little buddies! IT'S VERY OBVBVIOUS! IT'S FREE CAUSE NO ONE WANTS TO BUY CRAP!
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 5:20 pm

Oh yeah,I forgot about the homeless folks sellin' the Flyer to tourist.I guess someone DOES wanna' buy some crap.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 11:43 pm | Edited by: Matthew

*Jack Stands

the Flyer has bestowed cool on you. How does that make you feel?

is it ok that since I don't know what you look like I imagine you wearing

Raybans
A Swatch Watch (the kind that smell like fruit)
Light Yellow Oxford with the collar turned up
Capri pants
Birks
while twirling a pen and smirk chomping gum ala Val Kilmer in TOP GUN?
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 11:48 pm

btw-congrats everyone/Goner records for just being so damn cool. good game good game.
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 12:39 am

For the record, I think it was a bad "copy, paste" effort among the staff for a trite "editor made me do it" article.
I am domestic, not cool, per se.
As to your other questions my real name is "Iceman". Never leave your wing-man, sir. Never.
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 10:28 am

Raybans
A Swatch Watch (the kind that smell like fruit)
Light Yellow Oxford with the collar turned up
Capri pants
Birks
while twirling a pen and smirk chomping gum ala Val Kilmer in TOP GUN

You forgot the sweater tied loosely around the shoulders.
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 2:29 pm

You also forgot:

Prone to remove shirt, apply baby oil, and play beach volleyball. Anytime, anywhere(including apt. complex sand pits).
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 4:05 pm | Edited by: hollis brown

See below...
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 4:06 pm

No Birks with that ensemble, Tevas MAYBE, but he needs a nice little espadrille.
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 6:33 pm

hollisteva and fieryteva, You're so right.

Prone to remove shirt, apply baby oil, and play beach volleyball. Anytime, anywhere(including apt. complex sand pits).
Jack...er ICEMAN...Insert High Five quickly followed by below-the-belt-behind-the-back low5 here. repeat 145 times within 15 point game...then hide away to DANGERZONE.
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 6:39 pm

F
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 6:40 pm

U
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 6:40 pm

All.
Posted: Jun 19, 2005 6:44 pm

YOU WENT ABOVE THE DECK AND YOU GOT MERLIN!...your indignance makes you one of the best...
Posted: Jun 20, 2005 12:31 am

cool is the pic of Eric eatin' a hot dog.
Posted: Jun 20, 2005 4:01 am

uh, no.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 11:48 pm

watchmeeatahotdog.com
Posted: Jun 22, 2005 11:41 pm

cool is cutting your dick off and eating it
Posted: Jun 23, 2005 12:27 am

Talk about wet weiner!

HEE=HAWW!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®