Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Riverfront development?
Posted: May 9, 2005 5:13 am

do you like it? hate it or dont care.. when i was there i saw a bunch of yuppie style home being built by the riva'. By the way, nice trolly!
Posted: May 10, 2005 7:52 pm

The riverfront is a puzzle indeed, if you only knew how much residential Belz-Turley&Co have planned. They're going to condo the whole damn thing out, old buildings and everything, forget about the yuppies - just imagine the dogshit! It might as well be residential, offices avoid downtown like the plagues of old. FedEx and IP give downtown the bird and take their tax breaks out to the fringes.

Last year a firm from Argentina won the competiton to design the new 'Beale St Landing' (if you haven't noticed, the building that used to be called that is now a fine dirt field - Memphis sure is great at tearing things down) Anyway - the Argentinians have designed something as that will top the Pyramid in predicitable obselecense.

Here is their website to prove that these folks are actually smoking crack:
http://www.memphisriverfront.com/

BTW- That prominade in the website was conjured in a crack haze by Kristi Jernigan, a richie who moved to town and decided to be queen for a couple of years. The Jernigans' company - Storage USA has since been sold twice and those jobs will be gone in a year, their office space will be great for - you guessed it - more condos.
Posted: May 11, 2005 2:32 pm

I like the riverfront plan. I hate that some really cool old buildings have been torn down, but at the same time, many cool building are being restored (like the train station). Even if they are being used for condos, they are at least being used and not falling into disrepair (which inevitably leads demolition if they get too far gone). I really hate that homes are being built on the river, because that takes away part of the river from public access.
Its impossible to simultaneously encourage large employers to have their headquarters downtown and to not have it yuppieville. They go hand in hand.

As for the promenade plan: I really don't see any reason to have the view of the river obscured by parking garages that are there right now. And downtown has been yuppieville forever. After maproom changed ownership, and wolf's corner burned down, there wasn't any reason to go over there anyways. More places like the flying saucer downtown will hopefully keep that crap out of midtown.

I do like the baseball park downtown, and that was pushed through by the Jernigans.
Posted: May 11, 2005 3:14 pm

For me, it's this crazy land bridge that is the most puzzling part of the riverfront development plan. guess it's all about the dough in the end. I know they were looking at areas like Cincinnati and some others that have just built up riverfronts, other people seem to have done it right. maybe in end it'll work here too. then again, maybe not.

Either way, downtown will look way different in the next couple of years - 3 different apt/condo hi-rises going up - 28 story at Gayoso and Main (the vue), twin 16 stories up on riverside by channel 3 drive (the horizon) and the big whoop 26 story apt/luxury hotel/shop action at #1 beale.

oh yeah, just noticed a new hooters going in across from tower records.

woo-hoo!
Posted: May 11, 2005 4:00 pm

In the plan they propose that the land bridge will actually create more riverfront property. What it does to the acutal river, I'm not sure. I didn't read all of the Memphis Flyer article a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.memphisflyer.com/content.asp?ArticleID=2&ID=7215

Also the plan is proposed to take 50 years to complete. I assume they will have wheelchair access for me when the time comes.
Posted: May 11, 2005 4:06 pm

That's a shame that a hooters is opening up over there. even though I want to see downtown succeed, I don't want to see big chain crap that makes downtown seem generic. Its too bad that developers actively pursue the big chains instead of trying to get local entrepeneurs involved interested. but I guess thats where the money is
Posted: May 11, 2005 4:21 pm

when's that bigfoot lodge opening up?
Posted: May 11, 2005 4:31 pm

It closes off a section of the river to make a huge a lake that can be used for recreational purposes, like swimming and fishing. I think it is a good idea in theory cause you can't really do any of that in the mississippi. But its just hard to predict how it will turn out: another bud boogie beach? a place to dump bodies? Soccer mom resort? If there's a way for spinners and gold plating to adorn a boat, somebody at that lake will figure out how.
Posted: May 11, 2005 6:21 pm

I don't know if I would swim/fish in the Miss River, my kids might end up with three eyes, or eight limbs. Not to mention the dead people they find in there, ewww!

I do think that the downtown revival will help memphis, and I hope that it will spread to other areas of the city once established. I just hope that in the inbetween time our city schools don't get so bad that all they produce is ignorant thugs (not too far from that now). I guess we will produce our own janitors and bell hops for all those condos.

Chicago seemed to have a nice open green riverfront in a few areas, and that was nice.

I have seen many cities put malls on the waterfront to attract tourists. I think making mud island/ pyramid into a place for consumers would be nice. We need to make the pyramid an attraction. I have met people that have driven through Memphis and really liked it. We need to capitalize on that
Posted: May 11, 2005 6:27 pm

That Argentine plan for the Memphis riverfront looks very similar to Jacksonville Landing. A fine haven for rednecks of all stripes on Jaguars game days. The real Argentine plan for Memphis would be MANU GINOBLI.

Most people I take to Memphis go apeshit with ridiculing laughter when they lay eyes on the Pyramid. Much like I did when I first saw it when it went up!
Posted: May 11, 2005 6:50 pm

People interested in history and archaeology find it interesting, maybe even people interested in architecture. I think it adds to the Memphis skyline makes it different from other places. With some work and creative influence I think it could be an attracation for tourists. We have so many people that come for Elivis, why not use what we have to make more money off those who come here. Maybe then we can afford to cut the grass.
Posted: May 11, 2005 7:12 pm

I like the pyramid. It definitely does define our skyline like the Arch does in St. Louis, even if it is is empty. Although it may have been a mistake at the time, its like a bastard child: you got to love it.

I haven't read through the plan, but one thing is clear: it is a plan that fixes the main problem with the riverfront. Right now, the riverfront is little more than a highway and a parking lot.
The city is actually planning something this time, as opposed to unregulated growth that eventually ends up being giant box stores with huge parking lots.

Besides, we already ran off all the rednecks far into the suburbs with high property taxes.
Posted: May 11, 2005 7:19 pm

I agree with the "bastard child" sentiment--love it cos it is Memphis. But it is historically flawed if you wanna get down to it: The famous Giza pyramids are nowhere near Memphis, Egypt. There is a pyramid there though, so I will go along with your history/archeology thing. I don't know, I still think it is corny and ridiculous. And I love history.
Posted: May 11, 2005 7:28 pm

All things considered, the Pyramid does give us the tagline, "Memphis, home of the three dead kings"
Posted: May 11, 2005 8:05 pm

I hope the musuem/ aquarium plans for the pyramid works out. We need more educational and cultural amenities.
Posted: May 11, 2005 9:47 pm

That is a great idea. They should incorporate some of the areas historical aquatic life if they do. I have seen some cool looking prehistoric fossils some out of this area, like this aligator/shark thing called a mosasaurus. Kids love dinosaurs, hell i love dinosaurs.
Posted: May 11, 2005 10:44 pm

I'd like to see some cool water slides incorporated into the aquarium, where we could slide by shark tanks and manta rays and stuff.
Posted: May 12, 2005 5:56 pm | Edited by: Matthew

This just in: Schlenker to build Corky's @ base of Egyptian Sphinx. read about it here http://www.jotto.com/bubblesoap/bubblesoap.html

The Memphis riverfront plan link @ the top is pretty innocuous like most Memphis development. Kinda looks like Mid America Mall West.

This is the first I've heard of an aquarium. I wonder about this? will there be Catfish? Crawdads? Swimming dogs chasing tennis balls with sunglasses on? I think the only thing that would make the Pyramid any cooler/more useful is if it were a Transformer that everyday @ 5pm sprang "to life", played Enter Sandman out of the tape deck in its chest, and carried Cordova residents back to their homes.

MATAlac-can we get Mongo to talk to these Argentinians?
Posted: May 12, 2005 8:36 pm

How can anyone justify spending $$ on new “educational and cultural amenities” when the ones we already have were just shut down permanantly unless we fork over a .54 increase in property tax?!! Not to mention… many public schools don’t even have air conditioners, much less textbooks or qualified teachers. Hilarious! This town is in the financial toilet. If it weren’t for rock n’ roll, I’d be on the next train outta this dump.

Sorry to be hatin’.
Posted: May 13, 2005 1:25 am

all the schools have AC, and the teachers are qualified...its the parents that aren't
Posted: May 13, 2005 7:54 am

i think that its good that they are build 'yuppie' homes down by the river, there should be some money flowing in there, it will bring downtown back up to the point where it should be
Posted: May 13, 2005 3:16 pm

interesting CA article today discussing the same thing:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_3774050,00.html

Although I don't see how council members can worry about expensive properties prices downtown when the city relies mostly on property taxes.
Posted: May 13, 2005 4:36 pm

I went to public schools, we had air and books, and good teachers. I do think that we need to step up education soon (and pay teachers more give them incentives to stay in the system), or we will fall very far behind. I don't think that downtown development is going to hurt, I think it will help.

Memphis needs to grow to make itself a better place for everyone to live. If we don't make changes somewhere, then the city will die. I think starting at downtown is great because it will benefit those who live in North and South of downtown, creating jobs that are not too far from home, and building new schools for the kids whose parents work downtown.

Houses for all income levels can be found within minutes of downtown. Everything from government housing to million dollar homes.
Posted: May 13, 2005 5:28 pm

In the last month I've been to both Stafford Elem & Dunn Elem and neither of them had working air conditioners. It was hot and stuffy and the kids were complaining about it. The buildings are in disrepair and 3 out of the 8 teachers I met with did not have teaching creditials. One of the teachers told me she solicted private companies for donations to purchase new textbooks. I mean, come on -- the list of problems with the city schools is long and depressing. There's just no way to justify dumping all this cash into development if the schools are still being ignored.
Posted: May 13, 2005 6:02 pm

Agreed. This is commonplace in every state. But as long as the Feds underfund education block grants to states, the system as is will be de la fucked up. The city and county governments feel they have control over development and put their energies there as the school problem is so massive. It sucks.
Posted: May 13, 2005 6:26 pm

I agree the schools need help, but the schools will never get help if the city can not even maintain its police departments and parks. The people of the city and state do not look at social problems as their own, they do not want to spend their money to send other peoples kids to school, especially because they view the parents of these children as not doing their job as parents or as beneficial members of society.

It was hot and stuffy when i went to school too, we complained, and we got through it. Yeah it sucks, and it should not be that way, but unless your family has money to send you to a private school, you're screwed by our capitalist society.

Many schools get funding through private companies. There should be incentives for companies to give more.

We need to make the schools part of the community, where everyone that lives there is active in the school and community, but pople just want to throw money at it and feel that will solve everything. I know it will help, but it will not solve everything. many of those kids need much more than that.

Smartypants i don't know if you have ever read any of Jonathan Savages work, but you might like it, it will definitely piss you off. The school situation in many places is even worse than in Memphis, hard to believe I know. He really shows the haves and the havenots of education in America.
Posted: May 13, 2005 6:39 pm

Yes, but this is all covered under my Pyramid Transformer Plan aka 'Sharky's Machine.' Sharky will be equipped w. an infrared thermal control system which will keep all Memphis City Schools @ a cool 75 degrees and humidity of the city somewhere b/w 30-40 percent cause I know how bad it gets around rush hour and Sharky's blinding reflective glare treats your car like an ant under a magnifying glass. AND Sharkey is a licensed substitute teacher able and willing to tutor b/w the hours of 3-4:45pm.
Posted: May 13, 2005 6:46 pm

Agreed that there are a lot of schools missing out, but some are doing o.k.
Example, Grahmwood Elementary; great school, encourages parent participation, diverse student population.
One of the main reasons we moved into the area (my son will attend in the fall); well, that, and housing is affordable.
What I don't like is tax money going to BS "Improvements", like the stupid trolley extension down Madison. That money could definitely have been used better.
Posted: May 13, 2005 7:08 pm

Lute..that is Jonathan Kozol. He wrote Savage Inequalities. Yes it will piss you off, but his arguments are aligned more with cities tax bases for schools being more progressively oriented, not the current regressive situation. It is a huge problem with no one-way answer.
Posted: May 13, 2005 7:46 pm

I know it's nearly pointless to get worked up over the government's management of public school systems. It's a multi-faceted clusterfuck to be sure. It's nuts to pay taxes to fund public schools, watch the money get spent on other shit (FedEx Forum, useless trolly line), then kick in MORE money privately to compensate for our corrupt city government's spending. Oldest story in the book, right? Stupid capitalists. Lute, Fiery, sociology depresses me. Go Sharky Machine!
Posted: May 13, 2005 8:12 pm

thanks for the great discussion.

-----although some folks might think that we ain't all ear-clogged dumbos if you keep it up.

but seriously- the thread illustrates a point- all folks have a stake in the city. rich and poor. there's money that's being spent somewhere, and we don't have our priorities straight.

one ironic thing about shitty schools is- when you don't get what you need from your teachers/immediate environment, you look elsewhere. and i'm sure that's how lots of us found out about music/ books / movies and all sorts of things not covered on Oprah.

but that won't teach you calculus to get into Harvard. or motivate you to even try.

the article in the paper today was ridiculous- "HOW CAN WE DISLOCATE THESE POOR PEOPLE FROM DOWNTOWN?" city council members- who aren't afraid to spend other people's money- fronting for their less well-off constituent. memphis as usual.
Posted: May 16, 2005 2:35 am

they do the same shit up here too, Lake Michigan properties are some the countries most exspensive lots. A lot of public places have become "private" because of rich assholes. Al Capone had a house built on the shoreline near Benton Harbor i think, one of the first million dollar estates on the lake. I saw that crazy develpment stuff in Mem. too last year.. but as you go further down the river doesnt it get "ghetto"...? or am i thinking of a diffrnt part of town?
Posted: May 16, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks for the correction on that name looks like I tried to combine the two.

The "ghetto" is both North and South of Memphis. They are some of the poorest and most crime ridden areas. Most homicides that happen in Memphis happen in those areas. I have been to North Memphis several times to recover bodies (seemed like alot of domestic problems), and south memphis seems to be the drug and gang area (lots of gang killing in early 2000s). There is alot of Chicago gang influence there. There has been some work in these areas, New houseing developments, etc, Hemant knows more than I do.
Posted: May 16, 2005 10:40 pm

I used to work in the varied housing projects in Memphis through 2000 and I found myself more freaked by the vibe in North Memphis than in South. Hurt Village is supposedly gone now, but that was one of the bleakest, fucked up hellholes I have ever seen. Oates Manor a bit further north was crazy but had a sense of community lacking in some projects. Fowler Homes in South Memphis also had this good (relatively) vibe. Major drugs and gangs in both parts of town but once I was "known", people never fucked with me.
Posted: May 16, 2005 11:09 pm

Your north memphis of 2000 is going, going, gone. You wouldn't believe the changes that have occurred in the last 18 months there. Sherman predicts uptown will be featured in one of those USA Today "upcoming neighborhoods" spreads within 12 months. Buy now, retire early!
Posted: May 17, 2005 12:09 am

So I have heard...that has been a long time coming. Where did all the Hurt Villagers get displaced to? What about directly North of there (and maybe a little NE)? That part of town near Humes and Chelsea etc? New Chicago?
Posted: May 17, 2005 12:18 am

New Chicago is next (plans have been going on for that for at least 8-10 years) & the gravy train seems to be trolling up Jackson. My guess is most got displaced (over 2 years ago now) to the mall of memphis area & beyond. Lots of demolition here in the first 6 months of this year already. Good riddance!

Sell your house to a doctor from South America in 2010.

By the way, on the other thread about gated communities: gates & gated communities are a small but necessary result in Memphis current crime as daily happenstance reality. It is "too bad" gates are necessary, but it is also too bad Memphis crime ie jackings, muggings, & murder is so rampant. I wish I owned a metal fence company here. I'm sure biz is booming. Until school systems are fixed/reversed, gate companies will continue to do great here.
Posted: May 17, 2005 12:36 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Well, I can't accept that. I guess I don't have to ever live behind a GATE if I decide to move back to Memphis at some point, but it is a fucked up response to crime. And no, I am not naive. I think it is ridiculous. What sort of city/community is THAT? Living like that is just as ugly and isolating as living in a project. What is naive is thinking that a gate/guard will prevent you from getting mugged, carjacked and/or murdered. It really, really disappoints me that Memphians are beginning to accept that as an "unfortunate reality."
Posted: May 17, 2005 12:53 am

Memphis 2005. World changes, you know. Disappointing? Yep. Naive? Nope. This was a safe place to grow up in the '70s. I wouldn't let my kids do the things I did when I was growing up. Too many freaks out there.

If you can't accept it, stay in Portland or come here & help fix it.
Posted: May 17, 2005 1:06 am

I might add that it's no coincidence that Memphis real estate is listed as one of the most undervalued cities in the country while the crime rates are in the upper quartile and in obesity/health issues/schools Memphis ranks in the lower levels. (It certainly isn't a bonus that our property & sales tax rates are the highest in the state either. Memphians are getting a very poor return on its taxes).
Posted: May 17, 2005 1:15 am

Well, remains to be seen, my friend, I am more worried about getting work there than some gangsta shit. I may end up in a more dangerous city than Memphis, but I can't see ever pulling a reverse Alcatraz. No way to live (unless maybe I was 75 years old). Memphis is obviously worse than it was in the 70's, but how careful can you be? My point is deciding that a gate will somehow completely protect you from the bad, freaky people is a false reality. It is an agoraphobic reaction...not to mention a weird belief system to hold if you really want to rebuild your city. Unless Memphis wants to be the next Celebration, Florida.
Posted: May 17, 2005 1:22 am

Please don't take this as a personal attack either, Fiery! I'm actually in a more depressed state about it than you--I'm heavily invested in Memphis with a business, home, roots, friends etc. I hate that Memphis is so badly run, but I guess if I were scared of the jackings, crimes, & murders, I would have left long ago. I'm not the gate-keeper, either, just the guy seeing more gates go up all over town--even in East Memphis yards where it looks really wierd. It's kind of ironic that our mayor for the last decade or so ran the same school system that has been the biggest catalyst for many of Memphis' current problems.
Posted: May 17, 2005 1:29 am

It's kind of ironic that our mayor for the last decade or so ran the same school system that has been the biggest catalyst for many of Memphis' current problems.

Yep. Let's see if he sends his new kid to a public school in a few years.
Posted: May 17, 2005 1:29 am

I am not taking it as a personal attack, rest assured. It just freaks me out. I love Memphis and really hate to see the direction it seems to be heading in some regards.
Posted: May 17, 2005 2:20 am

Hmmm. Intresting. Ya know, the GONERFEST was really the first time I had been back to Memphis in about 5 years. I kept hearing about all this crime & how dangerous it had all become since I left 10 years ago. Honestly, I found Memphis to be way safer than it was when I left!! Even drivin around the Stax museum everyone was like "be carefull!" dood, we didn't even see anyone on the street at anytime! I thought that was weird. No one fucked with us or anything . Except for a couple of crack heads bummin money at the Buc, I never saw anything. I just told 'em to get fuckin lost & they did. You guys should hang out on my block in Brooklyn. You'll think Memphis is sleepy bedroom community of Niceville or somethin. Really, where's the crime dood? I felt totally safe.
Posted: May 17, 2005 2:27 am

dtrain, it's about the same as when you back here 5 years ago (knocking on wood). Memphis loves to scare itself.
Although, a friend of mine works at Stax and said some guy got knifed by a crackhead at the entrance last year...
Posted: May 17, 2005 2:33 am

Visiting here is relatively low-risk. Property owning here is high risk. Check out insurance rates for car owners here--for those who pay for it. Another great biz right now is car window fixing. Taking candy from a baby...
Posted: May 17, 2005 2:35 am

(dogs barking)
Posted: May 17, 2005 2:44 am

Too many topics now.
Riverfront development: Somebody do Something with the Pyramid.
Trolley on Madison: Dumb, and a waste of my money.
Property Taxes: Charged twice by two entities who refuse to play together.
Crime: The last time my truck was broken into was three years ago, outside of Bartlett, in the middle of the day. In most of the numbers you hear, these numbers are on a per capita basis; I imagune NYC has far more murders/rapes/thefts on a daily basis, but there are about 18 more people in that city per Memphian.
Insurance: Ironically enough, fair to middlin' people are moving to N. Mississippi, where I seem to recall Insurance fraud was the highest in the country at one point.
Property owning: is not a bad thing, and is cheaper than lots of other places; starting your own business here however is High Risk.
Posted: May 17, 2005 5:26 pm

I guess it is subjective but worse things happened to me growing up in Midtown in the 70's than living in Midtown in the 90's. I was grazed by some small caliber bullet in our sunroom in '78; the same house was broken into twice, entire collection of old porch furniture stolen off my grandmom's house on Peabody...I think Memphis DOES scare itself as does every city/town right now. Portland shocked me with the incidence of car prowling/thievery when I got here in 2000...now it has hit Memphis too.
Posted: May 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Jack, the good news is that the city didn't pay much for the Trolly. The money mostly came from Federal sources. MATA's long range plan is interesting--to create real light rail. Sadly those wankers can screw up a wet dream. If they had gone ahead and put in real light rail cars for the extension Memphians could have gotten a taste of things to come--- rather than a reminder of how useless the trolly is as transportation. I'm big on light rail and all about BUSTING the highway lobby that sucks up tons and tons of state and federal dollars. But the MATA has, thusfar, gone about this all wrong. Well, at least some local artists got to make some dough off the trolly stops, which are cool. The Rufus Thomas stop is particularly nice--I've got a thing for those big rusty birds!
Posted: May 17, 2005 7:53 pm

North memphis going going gone! No way. I am not talkin' North of Rhodes College, that area is seeing a bit of renewal due to midtowns growth and growing property values. I am talkin' the real north Memphis. The area that is North of 201 to Frazier (and some areas around Raleigh). I worked at the morgue for the last five years and if you had any idea of how messed up some of the people (mainly women) that came out of that area you would be sure not to go there at night or ever let your mother, girlfriend, wife, or daughter go there. If you do you could be looking at wether or not she was raped before or after she was stabbed 13 times in the chest, five in the back (as she tried to run away), had her throat cut all the way to her vertebral columb and was dumped in sewer where they tried to burn the evidence, and this is just a smal taste of what comes out of North Memphis.

Memphians can't walk around in fear, but it is a dangerous city, and precautions should be taken where ever you roam. Lock your doors, if you don't your stupid. Criminals feast on opportunity, and if a bit of fear makes people more aware of what is going on around them, great, they can be more prepared.
Posted: May 17, 2005 8:07 pm

Crime reports in the (LeMoyne)Gardens were similar (actually worse) before they tore it down. Now College Park looks & feels like Mud Island. Crime went away when the project did--not completely in the whole area but down off the charts on that property for sure. You'll see a much faster & larger impact on the north side with 1 billion in investment vs. 100 million on south side. You are talking about the 5 previous years...I'm talking about the next 15.
Posted: May 17, 2005 8:12 pm

I've had NO crime (well, a stolen garden hose) since moving to Greenlaw 7 years ago. Now I know a lot of pimps and hos and crackheads, and crime does happen here, but I've not experienced much of it personally. Midtown: I had a car window busted every couple of months.

I feel pretty damn safe--- stabbed dogs and all.
Posted: May 17, 2005 8:16 pm

I wouldn't bet against Turley & Belz. I would bet against MHA.
Posted: May 17, 2005 8:38 pm

Sherman what is that money? Private investments? grants? taxes?
Goodness knows those people need some help.
Posted: May 17, 2005 9:23 pm

700$ million St. Jude; $300 million mha/federal housing/uptown partnership.
Posted: May 17, 2005 9:32 pm

That Lemoyne Owens/ College Park Area was part of an MHA project. They finally did it right this time. That area was scary, and now is really nice. Same with parts of uptown, and the forthcoming University Place. They are all MHA projects funded by loans and Hope VI grants.
Posted: May 17, 2005 9:36 pm

What is super surprising is the Lauderdale Courts renovation Man, you can live cheap & nice in there right in a great location--mixed income. Used to not even drive through there, but now it's great. Doctors, nurses, etc. within walking distance of St. Jude.
Posted: May 17, 2005 9:42 pm

That $700 Million from St. Jude is part of what the uptown refers to as "1.3 billion collaborative neighborhood improvements" I don't see how St. Jude's research buildings that are not even open to the public are counted towards neighborhood redevelopment, but if the politicians can stretch it, they will.

This site is pretty interesting:
http://www.henryturley.com/uptown/

It seems kind of obvious now that low income housing shouldn't be all concentrated into an area that no ones wants to go into, but mixed in with other uses.
Posted: May 17, 2005 9:45 pm

The same thing is planned for the Lamar Terrance projects area of Lamar (near bellevue). Tearing down the projects, building mixed income housing that appeals to doctors and nurses of the medical district as well as the low income residents.
Posted: May 17, 2005 9:59 pm

What is St.Jude doing, are they expanding themselves, or building the neighborhood or both?
Aha ! I remember those Hope VI grants, how long do we get that, and where is Hope VII? I know I have seen improovements funded by that, I hope it can keep up with how fast those new buildings get trashed.

I wonder what is going to happen to little Vietnam as midtown begins to creep into that area? It would be sad to see all those great food places start to go because rent goes up crazy like, although the apartments behind Cleveland are terrible, no one should have to live that bad, not even the roaches and stray animals. It would be great to see a development in that area of nicer housing/condo/apartment like buildings that people could afford in those areas. Make it more of a neighborhood, and maybe bring up more local buisness, feeding off of the trolly, where people from downtown and medical center would come eat in Little Vietnam.

I like the trolley. I used to be able to drop my car off at the shop and ride it to work. i can also park for free in a lot in midtown, and ride the trolley for cheap, saving gas, money, and road rage at all the cazy people on the road.
Posted: May 17, 2005 10:06 pm

Are new schools in that area part of the project?
Posted: May 17, 2005 10:09 pm

I specifically despise the trolley on Madison; I'm sure it's great for those trying to get from Redbirds' Stadium to J.Wags, but it's more of a hassel than an asset.
I would like to see light rail, but it's about as likely as finishing Sam Cooper as I-40 to the Bridge.
Posted: May 17, 2005 10:27 pm

I thought they were going to put up a system down lamar to the airport?

I wish they had brought the trolly all the way up Madison to Overton Square, then I could walk to the trolly and ride all over madison and down town. It might even pursuade more people to put small buisnesses in that area. People from downtown might come up to see the new playhouse and grab a bite to eat in midtown. Even a branch to the zoo would be nice for tourists.
Posted: May 17, 2005 11:21 pm

I wish they had brought the trolly all the way up Madison to Overton Square

That was the original plan but the businesses of Overton Sqaure fought it because they thought all the construction would cripple their business rather than having the forsight that, once completed, it would tripple their business.
Posted: May 17, 2005 11:27 pm

How would a trolley tripple their business? MATA currently supports that line with buses (even the fake, trolley-looking ones).
Posted: May 17, 2005 11:30 pm

The midtown trolley extension seems pointless right now, but the plans for it are to head south on pauline, with a transfer to light rail near lamar (close to the i240 loop) and then heading down lamar to airways, and then down to the airport. The idea is to connect the large employment centers first. Thats stage one. Overton Square and cooper young opposed the trolley going through their neighborhoods on its way to the airport, which sucks in the long run, but is wise from a current business owner's standpoint. Lamar needs the improvements anyways. Stage 2 is 10 years from now and involves light rail using the current southern railroad tracks going from fairgrounds out east past the University of Memphis and germantown.

I really should have been in city planning, I love this stuff.
Posted: May 17, 2005 11:32 pm

MATA currently supports that line with buses (even the fake, trolley-looking ones).

And we all know how much people love to ride the bus. Its totally romantic.
Posted: May 17, 2005 11:33 pm

Stage 2 is 10 years from now and involves light rail using the current southern railroad tracks going from fairgrounds out east past the University of Memphis and germantown.

Now THAT's a plan.
Like that.
Posted: May 17, 2005 11:35 pm

And we all know how much people love to ride the bus. Its totally romantic.

And the trolleys are bred from the same management.

And you've never seen the way I ride a bus...
Posted: May 18, 2005 2:12 pm

I just wish Memphis would get its shit together and bring back the Showboat Bus to match the last showboat stop in existance on Madison in front of the Dairy.

Next Stop: Libertyland

Woo Hoo!
Posted: May 18, 2005 3:42 pm

U!S!F!L!
Posted: May 24, 2005 8:12 am

Bartlet TN. seemed pretty mild. Thanks for lettin me crash your apt. Ken C.! went to one o them Christian Family Bookstores and bought some candy,, man talk about scared people.
Posted: May 24, 2005 5:54 pm

You stayed in BARTLETT? Lawd knows. Did you go to the movies? That is the only reason I ever was in that stripmall land.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 11:05 am | Edited by: Big Diesel

I just wish Memphis would get its shit together and bring back the Showboat Bus to match the last showboat stop in existance on Madison in front of the Dairy.
Thats the f**kin' truth! I bought the LAST Showboat Bus in the area and plan to restore it!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®